PDA

View Full Version : problems getting to certain sites today?

ScoobySnack
26-06-2008, 13:25
am having difficulty browsing to www.sendspace.com and wwww.yahoo.com today

i've phones friends who are NOT with Virgin and they are not having problems with these pages

anyone else having similar problems with selected pages?

Ravenheart
26-06-2008, 13:33
Hi Scooby,

I can get to the Spendspace site, but I'm getting a page load error on Yahoo, I've also been unable to access www.digg.com, the WoW forums and I'm unable to log into wow either.

squirrel1970
26-06-2008, 13:34
Yeah... I thought it was me, but now I've seen your post, I'm having problems with yahoo and http://lifehacker.com/ (http://lifehacker.com/lifehacker) (so far)

My partner is currently trying to cancel his WoW subcription, but can't (I wished he could....! :D)

ziggycat
26-06-2008, 13:39
I was just about to post this myself, I've just spent an hour with bb support.

A couple of sites I use frequently - avforums.com, consumerforums.com would not load, so hopped onto a friends wireless ;) who has a BT service and low and behold they loaded up fine.

After all the faffing around running tracert, reset modem etc. I was told that a 3rd party was not allowing virgin media traffic accross thier equipment ?????
Yes It's true - thier senior support staff know about it.

I thinks this is the final straw for me with VM. :mad:

Ravenheart
26-06-2008, 13:39
I can get to lifehacker, (I want a pegboard to tidy my desk!) :)

I did cancel my wow sub, for 4 months, but I'm weak and went back :P

reggplant
26-06-2008, 13:51
Yeah I'm finding the fault is somewhere between vm(ntl) and cogent's network from london.

zer0
26-06-2008, 14:03
same here some websites are being blocked for me too or are having network timeouts while they are working fine through a proxy

cant log into my rapidshare account
Network Timeout

The operation timed out when attempting to contact ssl.rapidshare.com.

yahoo for me too
Network Timeout

The operation timed out when attempting to contact uk.tv.yahoo.com.

ScoobySnack
26-06-2008, 14:05
a quick and very dirty workaround is to use an anonymous proxy that will allow cookies, say www.youhide.com

this allows me to go to yahoo.com and www.SendSpace.com any other sites that i want to browse to but in a limited fashion.

it doesn't however solve the problem of why virgin can't get its act together

:mad:

chamoan
26-06-2008, 14:40
I'm having problems with some msg board sites and some chatrooms i usually visit, but my friends on msn are not having problems acessing these very same sites......but they are not on VM.

sstainer
26-06-2008, 14:42
i had issues accessing hotmail, so changed the DNS to open dns and all is fine now

ScoobySnack
26-06-2008, 14:52
i had issues accessing hotmail, so changed the DNS to open dns and all is fine now

its not strictly a DNS issue as i can ping and trace to sites but cannot browse them. if it was DNS i would not be able to ping them at the very least

KennyT
26-06-2008, 14:53
I'm unable to access my Logmein PCs (or their website/forums). I'm already using OpenDNS...

K

SOSAGES
26-06-2008, 15:02
its the internet - it breaks a lot :)
someone somewhere is running around being very busy plugging cables trying to fix it for us.

dj rob st
26-06-2008, 15:07
yeah its not a dns error i cant get to http://www.xtremewrestlingtorrents.net/

if i do a traceroute then it ends up stopping at the first 3rd party after virgin, but if a use a online proxy site works fine and no one else on the site reporting the errors

wonder if virgin never paid they bills to somoene lmao

spidiweb7
26-06-2008, 15:16
i too cannot access certain sites like imageshack.us :(

SOSAGES
26-06-2008, 15:31
i notice that a lot of people on vm connections cant connect to WoW - a lot of unhappy elves and dwarfs moaning about it.

r00t
26-06-2008, 15:33
Just checked the news groups, this has been reported here and is being looked into.

Hope this helps

/r00t

squirrel1970
26-06-2008, 15:51
thanks, r00t :)

chamoan
26-06-2008, 15:52
sites i had problems with seem to be ok now.

Mick Fisher
26-06-2008, 15:54
Hmmm.. I was having time out probs getting to a forum yesterday. Dumping OpenDNS solved the issue for me?

Googlemail was a bit slow to load today but seems OK after the second attempt.

I haven't had any of those 'can't find the page' issues since dumping opendns but its early days to form any opinions about that.

squirrel1970
26-06-2008, 16:04
Whatever has been said/done, everything is working ok again now :D

zer0
26-06-2008, 16:05
fixed for me now \o/

Longwave
26-06-2008, 16:12
I'm still having problems getting to http://www.bytemark.co.uk/ or any of the other services that Bytemark host.

edit: these seem to have fixed themselves in the past minute or so!

smackheadz
26-06-2008, 16:13
had trouble with yahoo seems ok now,new ccleaner out today

KennyT
26-06-2008, 16:21
Yep, Logmein working too.

:)

K

r00t
26-06-2008, 16:23
The issue with wow seems to be still there, Blizzard are looing into the fault from their side.

Angry@VMedia
26-06-2008, 17:16
yeah its not a dns error i cant get to http://www.xtremewrestlingtorrents.net/

if i do a traceroute then it ends up stopping at the first 3rd party after virgin, but if a use a online proxy site works fine and no one else on the site reporting the errors

wonder if virgin never paid they bills to somoene lmao

OMG, I've been a member of XWT since 2006!! what a small world eh!

ScoobySnack
26-06-2008, 18:12
OMG, I've been a member of XWT since 2006!! what a small world eh!

make the most of it. i imagine that use of private sites might be a distant memory once the letters from the BPI/Virgin get mobilized.

RealDiamond
26-06-2008, 18:27
make the most of it. i imagine that use of private sites might be a distant memory once the letters from the BPI/Virgin get mobilized.
Other way around. Only bit torrent downloading from private sites will be possible. the open sites are the ones BPI will be using to trap you. those then caught by the open sites will get the BPI letter.

the downloading letters are allready going out to those who are randomly selected for continuely hitting the download limits and are under the New stm.

ScoobySnack
26-06-2008, 18:31
Other way around. Only bit torrent downloading from private sites will be possible. the open sites are the ones BPI will be using to trap you. those then caught by the open sites will get the BPI letter.

the downloading letters are allready going out to those who are randomly selected for continuely hitting the download limits and are under the New stm.

i am the proud owner of one of those letters. its the letters from the BPI that i am more concerned with and who's to say they cannot join private trackers and observe all the clients in the swarm? the MPAA do so so i imagine that the BPI will follow suit.

RealDiamond
27-06-2008, 21:59
yea but Private sites are private due to being closed to any new members. open/public are just that open and public to any one joining.
MPAA use completely different tactics they hunt down servers and the individual responsible for the original upload and try to seize the equipment used. BPI won't be doing any of this.

Mick Fisher
27-06-2008, 23:15
Hmmm I notice that some 'private' trackers can be accessed via a torrent acquired from a non private source?

What is to stop a BPI snitch (Mediatec maybe?) joining a private tracker by regestering as a normal punter?

Whatever you do BT is inherently insecure and the more popular and current the media you are troughing is the higher the chance of your getting noticed.

Nevertheless the BPI and VM are fighting a war they can never win. They might win the odd battle but the Dam irrepairably fractured years ago.

ultimate
28-06-2008, 10:06
Same sites are timing out this morning, comes and goes.

eth01
28-06-2008, 10:19
no problems here... yet.