PDA

View Full Version : 20Meg.. (every other day)

kstone
25-06-2008, 14:27
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum.
I'm a bit of a techy and design broadband connectivity equipment for evolving broadband networks.

Anyway - I am afraid I need to grumble.

I have used NTL for the past 10 or so years, their broadband is leaps and bounds ahead of the twisted pair DSL guys.

But I am pulling my hair out!

I lost all signal about 3 weeks back, neither my cable modem or set top box would work....
So I phoned India for a nice chat. 'Turn it off and on again etc' sending a message to your box etc.
Anyway - did that 3 times that day before asking to cancel.

The nice lady in the UK pacified me a little, said they would get an engineer out next day to fix my internet access. But I would need to phone a seperate number for the TV (:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:). Anyway...

Next day the engineer turns up knocks on my door and tells me it is all working now (the *@#$ bodged a repair to get my neighbor up and running).

Anyway - I have had connectivity on and off for 3 weeks, so I do all the calls to India still.

But I just want my internet back, like it used to be.
Even when the TV works I can't see any Info on programes!

& to make it worse they won't even let me cancel!!!!!

Does anyone have Bransons Phone numer or E-mail adderss (Or suggestions on who to vent at?). :(

xspeedyx
25-06-2008, 14:44
You need to write a letter to head office

and Richard Branson isnt a VM tech

Impz2002
25-06-2008, 14:46
Branson cant help you he only let VM use his brandname and as far as i know he dosnt have much of a financial stake in VM !

Try posting to the Cable tech support newsgroup on VM's newsservers they are pretty good at diagnosing issues and getting it fixed !

Impz

Milambar
25-06-2008, 15:00
I can attest that the newsgroup people are awesome. I had a problem a while back, and India kept saying "No problem. Problem with PC!", that went on for days.

Finally I discovered the newsgroup, 2 postings later, an engineer visit was arranged. They found the problem instantly.

So, bypass India, and hit up the newsgroup instead.

kstone
25-06-2008, 15:41
Great - Thankyou I'll try the newsgroup

The Installer
25-06-2008, 16:20
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum.
I'm a bit of a techy and design broadband connectivity equipment for evolving broadband networks.

Anyway - I am afraid I need to grumble.

I have used NTL for the past 10 or so years, their broadband is leaps and bounds ahead of the twisted pair DSL guys.

But I am pulling my hair out!

I lost all signal about 3 weeks back, neither my cable modem or set top box would work....
So I phoned India for a nice chat. 'Turn it off and on again etc' sending a message to your box etc.
Anyway - did that 3 times that day before asking to cancel.

The nice lady in the UK pacified me a little, said they would get an engineer out next day to fix my internet access. But I would need to phone a seperate number for the TV (:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:). Anyway...

Next day the engineer turns up knocks on my door and tells me it is all working now (the *@#$ bodged a repair to get my neighbor up and running).

Anyway - I have had connectivity on and off for 3 weeks, so I do all the calls to India still.

But I just want my internet back, like it used to be.
Even when the TV works I can't see any Info on programes!

& to make it worse they won't even let me cancel!!!!!

Does anyone have Bransons Phone numer or E-mail adderss (Or suggestions on who to vent at?). :(

If you wish to cancel then dial 150 from a cable phoneline and there is an option to disconnect. Go through to these people and tell them you're leaving, they will do their best to get you to stay but if you just want to leave then tell them you're leaving the country, that will do the job ;)

If you do stay and go on a deal then be aware they will be signing you up for another 12 month contract :erm:

whydoIneedatech
25-06-2008, 22:18
Branson cant help you he only let VM use his brandname and as far as i know he dosnt have much of a financial stake in VM !

Try posting to the Cable tech support newsgroup on VM's newsservers they are pretty good at diagnosing issues and getting it fixed !

Impz

He owns 10% of Virgin Media and thus is the biggest single shareholder and he leases the brand to NTL/Telewest.

kstone
26-06-2008, 14:03
It's OK,

I had a chat to a few indians again last night, they diagnosed the problem.

Tv Guys said it was a local fault it will work in a few hours
Broadband guy informed me my modem is bad
Lady in UK said it was a bad cable outsid the house

Amazing how acurately they can diagnose these problems now !!...

whydoIneedatech
26-06-2008, 19:05
It's OK,

I had a chat to a few indians again last night, they diagnosed the problem.

Tv Guys said it was a local fault it will work in a few hours
Broadband guy informed me my modem is bad
Lady in UK said it was a bad cable outsid the house

Amazing how acurately they can diagnose these problems now !!...

Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

kstone
26-06-2008, 20:17
hardware version. 1.19
Software 2.94.1014

downstream -22.9dBmV
No Lock

sorry for short message, no tinternet so using my mobile :)

whydoIneedatech
26-06-2008, 20:34
hardware version. 1.19
Software 2.94.1014

downstream -22.9dBmV
No Lock

sorry for short message, no tinternet so using my mobile :)

Your downstream power level is way, way, way off if it is at -22dBmV and you need a Tech visit to short out your connection, you will not get a lock with any modem at that level.

If they have not booked a Tech out yet then call them on 151 now!!

Thats the first I have seen that far out.

kstone
26-06-2008, 21:18
booked for the 10th... that's service for ya.

grrreat

moaningmags
26-06-2008, 21:19
I saw a customer with a downstream power level of +26, new install and working fine.
Couldn't believe it. But as whydoineedatach says it can and will cause problems and in your case probably is.

whydoIneedatech
26-06-2008, 22:38
I saw a customer with a downstream power level of +26, new install and working fine.
Couldn't believe it. But as whydoineedatach says it can and will cause problems and in your case probably is.

WOW that is a bad one +26 and online, truly amazing;)

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

booked for the 10th... that's service for ya.

grrreat

Did they give reason for a 2 week delay at all because normally you would get the first available slot and 10/07 does not sound like the first available slot, I would ring up and ask for an earlier slot.

CDB
27-06-2008, 15:56

Impz

Where's this? link?

homealone
27-06-2008, 16:50
Where's this? link?

have a read through this

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php

having said that, the server seems to be playing up, atm

- but the group you want is

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

kstone
01-07-2008, 10:43
WOW that is a bad one +26 and online, truly amazing;)

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

Did they give reason for a 2 week delay at all because normally you would get the first available slot and 10/07 does not sound like the first available slot, I would ring up and ask for an earlier slot.

Still no internet,
Not ideal when I work from home, so I am having to drive to my Office each day Greeeeeaat.

Has anyone used a Bidirectional Amplifier on their Coax Drop to get a better signal?
I think I might just do this to get me up and running quickly.

I would be interested in comments though.

I can't wait until BT put their hands in their pockets and roll out FTTh.

BEASTLEYLIZARD
01-07-2008, 18:04
Your downstream power level is way, way, way off if it is at -22dBmV and you need a Tech visit to short out your connection, you will not get a lock with any modem at that level.

If they have not booked a Tech out yet then call them on 151 now!!

Thats the first I have seen that far out.

With regards to this, what levels are good?
The reason I ask is my internet keeps dropping out, mainly from friday through tomonday morning. I have phoned VM and they keep telling me that its fine.

I am using a netgear wireless router which is recommended for VM who suggested that the router is at fault but i know that it is fine, and surely if it was the router it wouldnt just be at the weekends would it?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :):)

whydoIneedatech
01-07-2008, 18:21
With regards to this, what levels are good?
The reason I ask is my internet keeps dropping out, mainly from friday through tomonday morning. I have phoned VM and they keep telling me that its fine.

I am using a netgear wireless router which is recommended for VM who suggested that the router is at fault but i know that it is fine, and surely if it was the router it wouldnt just be at the weekends would it?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :):)

Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

BEASTLEYLIZARD
01-07-2008, 18:27
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem (ntl 200)
Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.9 dBmV
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.50 dBmV

hope this is what you wanted.

whydoIneedatech
01-07-2008, 18:46
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem (ntl 200)
Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.9 dBmV
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.50 dBmV

hope this is what you wanted.

The downstream which I have highlighted is a bit high and maybe reason enough to call Tech Support on 151 option 3 if it causing you any problems give them a ring and it is free from a Virgin landline.

BEASTLEYLIZARD
01-07-2008, 18:51
Ok, I will do.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep you posted on what they say.

:):)

whydoIneedatech
01-07-2008, 18:55
Ok, I will do.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep you posted on what they say.

:):)

Always best to check;)

BEASTLEYLIZARD
12-07-2008, 14:36
Ihad my V+ installed yesterday and the engineer that came out said i deffinately need to get my modem changed because its a 200 and there is no way i am going to get anywhere near 20meg with it because it cant handle it. He tried to book another engineer to come out and swap but I've got to phone them, so thats what I'll be doing today.