PDA

View Full Version : Do VirginMedia still offer a 9600 Baud service?

glen8
20-06-2008, 22:22
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if VirginMedia offer a 9600 baud dial-up service as I'd like to upgrade from my current ADSL connection.

If so, is it free or do they use an 0800 number?

Thanks,
Glen.
p.s. I'm serious

alferret
20-06-2008, 22:25
Isnt that what your getting now?

glen8
20-06-2008, 22:28
Isnt that what your getting now?

Nope :mad:

Tonight has been the first night in our new house I've got this forum to load so thought I'd better make a post, quick!!!!

I have been an NTL/VirginMedia Cable customer since it first launch (I was their first customer...my small claim to fame)

anyway, a month ago I was surfing in the fast 20mb lane and loving every minute of it. That was until we moved house.

The new house is a new build on a new street but unfortunately not in a cable area :-( That means we are through the BT line on VirginMedias 8mb unlimited ADSL service.

I wouldn't mind even if it was 512k and stable but it's averaging at about nothing!! Most nights it just doesn't work, some nights I get the websites title before the page cannot be displayed site.

Tonight I have surfed two forums........not bad until you realise I went on the computer at 6pm and it's now 22:30pm :lol:

so long giganews and newsbin........you will be missed

Glen Harrison, High Speed Internet user 1997-2008
R.I.P

whydoIneedatech
20-06-2008, 22:36
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if VirginMedia offer a 9600 baud dial-up service as I'd like to upgrade from my current ADSL connection.

If so, is it free or do they use an 0800 number?

Thanks,
Glen.
p.s. I'm serious

Try this link put in your postcode and it will tell you what is available in your area.

Availability checker

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/maps.php

glen8
20-06-2008, 22:40
Try this link put in your postcode and it will tell you what is available in your area.

Availability checker

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/maps.php

Thanks for the link

Looks like my postcode can recieve 256k I WISH!!!!

whydoIneedatech
20-06-2008, 22:42
Thanks for the link

Looks like my postcode can recieve 256k I WISH!!!!

Give it a good browse and then you will get a better idea.

glen8
20-06-2008, 22:44
What's the chances of them putting my street onto the cable network?

You guys don't know how lucky you are. I feel like my arms have been cut off.

I really want to start using giganews again :(

Can I bribe one of the engineers with beer and crisps to run me a cable into my house :D

whydoIneedatech
20-06-2008, 22:47
What's the chances of them putting my street onto the cable network?

You guys don't know how lucky you are. I feel like my arms have been cut off.

I really want to start using giganews again :(

Can I bribe one of the engineers with beer and crisps to run me a cable into my house :D

As posted elsewhere it is around 7 years since Virgin laid any fresh cable so all you have is my link above:(

glen8
20-06-2008, 22:52
As posted elsewhere it is around 7 years since Virgin laid any fresh cable so all you have is my link above:(

Oh no, I'm GUTTED :(

It makes me sooo mad :mad: I've had to refresh this page about 20 times to get it to load

Looks like i'm going to have to buy something like a QNAP NAS box and stick it on my mums router as she has cable broadband. What a performance!

whydoIneedatech
20-06-2008, 23:08
Oh no, I'm GUTTED :(

It makes me sooo mad :mad: I've had to refresh this page about 20 times to get it to load

Looks like i'm going to have to buy something like a QNAP NAS box and stick it on my mums router as she has cable broadband. What a performance!

Check out samknows and go with the provider with the fastest advertised speed, post them here first to ask what they are like and someone will let you know.