PDA

View Full Version : PCGuard to stay!

Toto
18-06-2008, 20:07
VM have renewed their contract with Radialpoint (http://internetcommunications.tmcnet.com/topics/broadband-mobile/articles/31651-verizon-bell-canada-virg-media-renew-contract-with.htm), suppliers of branded security solutions for ISP's.

I loved this quote:

"The fact that these service providers are all signing multi-year contracts, and are expanding their existing services agreements, reflects their continued commitment to our innovative security service model designed to deliver maximum benefit with minimal effort to consumers."

Innovative?

mouqeet
18-06-2008, 21:20
wel am using pcguard at the moment and im quite happy its staying really because i havent got anymore antiviruses

whydoIneedatech
18-06-2008, 23:39
It may be free but the is better out there for free, try sites like www.majorgeeks.com this site has everything you need for the internet

Welshchris
19-06-2008, 19:32
being a technician i always take it off and put on Avast Free as i find it brings some systems to down to a crawl.

My friend rang me the other day, she was on AOL for 4 years but switched to Virgin media and said the internet works, but since she installed the Virgin Media disk the PC is really slow, bare in mind its a P4 2.8Ghz, 768mb DDR 333Ghz, 160GB Hard disk, Windows XP Home Edition. I went there and did all the usual stuff. checked for spyware and adaware, found a few nothing serious, but it wasnt till i disabled PC Guard there was a vast improvement. This is like the 2nd or 3rd PC this month with same problem and ive lost count of how many in the past ive had to do.

smallethic
04-08-2008, 09:28
When my computer starts up, either from cold or from hibernation, the Windows red warning comes up saying that the computer is unprotected against viruses. It takes ten or more seconds for PCGuard to load and for the warning to disappear. Is this really a risk? Is it a design flaw? How do other security packages deal with the startup process?

Taf
04-08-2008, 10:24
PCGuard makes my bootup time in Vista change from 22 seconds to 3 minutes 38 seconds (on average).

Graham M
04-08-2008, 11:11
PCGuard makes my bootup time in Vista change from 22 seconds to 3 minutes 38 seconds (on average).

That's because it's a good, well written piece of software ;) :)

Taf
04-08-2008, 11:21
..and it loses contact with its servers all the time... and likes to tell me alllll about it....

TheBruce1
04-08-2008, 12:35
Not a fan of PC Guard, the engine that PC Guard uses is from Authentium, not one of the best, as others have said it slows your system down, personally Avira, AVG and Avast will do a better job, Comodo for the firewall and you can have any number of good free antispyware application such as Superantispware and MalwareBytes Antimalware to name two.

whydoIneedatech
04-08-2008, 15:23
You cannot go wrong with Comodo firewall and Avira antivirus both free plus Adaware 2008 for spyware.

smeagoly1
04-08-2008, 18:37
well i may hate PC Guard as much as i do the Tax Man, and it's as resource efficient as a 50 year old coke fired power station. But it's safer than having nothing.

But then again, there are loads of free alternatives that have been mentioned here, that are far more reliable, stable, use as much system resources as my brain after 8 pints of beer :)

Ashampoo and avast, currently using, always get a thumbs up. Daily updates to avast also :)))
I do use comodo, but on my 64bit system, it works a treat on that.

DipsTheOne
04-08-2008, 23:28
I use windows fire wall only I have no problems what so ever and if i think have a virus i use dr wb its free antivirus its the best out there

Ken Underwood
05-11-2008, 21:34
PCguard is set up for vista, not XP.
1. The greed for resources (where it scans for prob 40-50 mins per hour using around 40% processor time) is very noticable if you have only a single processor.
2. The 'Sidebyside' source error log43's (in the event viewer) are caused by Vista having (and XP not having) C++2005.
3. The 1000+ items in the Startup Program Group (in Windows Help and Resource Centre) are there because Vista can shuffle around system files and folders in a way that XP cannot.
VirginMedia let people imagine pcguard is ok on XP - no warnings - but it is crap for XP without multiple processors.
ANYONE who installs pcguard on an XP machine will suffer these problems.
Virgin ought to warn people about this.

Brettiex
07-11-2008, 17:17
I use windows fire wall only I have no problems what so ever and if i think have a virus i use dr wb its free antivirus its the best out there

This is well & good for some users but the majority of users may not be that PC literate and as such require better security. I do undertsnad where your coming from though - as the largest threat of virus infection is the user.

Everything is dependent on how the user uses their computer and how suseptible they are to infection. But as a general rule of thumb a firewall should be used along anti-virus / anti-malware. Automatic updates is also highly recommended with worms etc. doing the daily rounds.