PDA

View Full Version : If I cancel my Virgin Cable BB, what happens to my email address?

jhbodle
18-06-2008, 14:13
Hi,

I'm getting a bit annoyed with all the changes going on with Virgin broadband at the moment without any notification except on these forums. Therefore i'm thinking of leaving Virgin.

However, if I cancel, will the email address immediately be cut off? Some ISPs leave them active for a while, does Virgin?

r00t
18-06-2008, 14:16
You will lose your e-mails after your last billing date has expired

smackheadz
18-06-2008, 15:28
different providers may be all different but i left aol in march and i still send and receive my emails via them.I do keep expecting them to shut it down but as yet they havn't.

Graham M
18-06-2008, 16:12
I don't think that they would shut an AOL email address down, I used to have AOL and I still use that email address for AIM occasionally.

keef319
18-06-2008, 16:16
I left Virgin when I moved house 18 months ago. My NTL email address was never disconnected, nor my wife's.

I've since returned to Virgin after another house move, but still use the original NTL email address...

xspeedyx
18-06-2008, 16:25
NTL may have been different from Telewest as I understand VM disconnect the email address when the account is disconnected

Rone
18-06-2008, 17:18
Last time i fled the NTL nest i could no longer send and receive mails with my old NTL e-mail address.

v0id
18-06-2008, 17:51
I thought that you couldn't access a VM email address from a non VM BB connection anyway.
So what would be the point? (and if you can't access it, it would die after 30 days anyway)

jhbodle
18-06-2008, 18:11
I thought that you couldn't access a VM email address from a non VM BB connection anyway.
So what would be the point? (and if you can't access it, it would die after 30 days anyway)
You can receive emails, just not send them. I wouldn't want to send, just see who's still emailing me on my old account.

BenMcr
18-06-2008, 18:16
Even if the e-mail address do remain active after disconnection (which officially they shouldn't), no-one can guarantee how long they will stay on.

whydoIneedatech
18-06-2008, 22:36

You can access any virgin email account anywhere in the world via Webmail if you remember your email address and password.

All existing virgin email addresses that people are still able to use even though they no longer customers should shortly over the next few months cease to exist due to the NTL billing migration, so if you presently use such an account do not be surprised when it stops working, I would advise to to change to Googlemail or similar now.

RUSTY
19-06-2008, 09:40
good advise to change to Googlemail, first class.

handyman
19-06-2008, 10:15
I left Virgin when I moved house 18 months ago. My NTL email address was never disconnected, nor my wife's.

I've since returned to Virgin after another house move, but still use the original NTL email address...

This will catch up at some point, mine lasted years after but it did get cut off.

Easiest solution to this is to use a none isp email address. Get yourself a domain name (cost £6.54 for 2 years) then find some cheap hosting £1-2 per month, as a side effect you will also get some fully functional web space.

eth01
22-06-2008, 21:00
You will lose your e-mails after your last billing date has expired

That's what you know. But this isn't always the case, as we already know.

ultimate
22-06-2008, 21:05
Get a free Gmail account, then you can send and receive email with any ISP, with or without using Outlook Express or Live Mail.

whydoIneedatech
22-06-2008, 23:49
That's what you know. But this isn't always the case, as we already know.

Read my post above number 11 and take note because when they disappear do not post on here that no one told you!!!

eth01
26-06-2008, 07:18
Read my post above number 11 and take note because when they disappear do not post on here that no one told you!!!

Er? No need for the attitude ;) Who said I used NTL for email, too? :rolleyes:

whydoIneedatech
26-06-2008, 10:49
Er? No need for the attitude ;) Who said I used NTL for email, too? :rolleyes:

The was no attitude;) just fed up with people saying I can keep my NTL/Telewest email account without being a customer, for now that is till Virgin close them.

I hope you do not use NTL mail as losing your contacts when eventually they close all rogue email that are unattached to accounts will not be very funny, if you have one I would advise a transfer to Googlemail or similar.:)

eth01
28-06-2008, 10:24
The was no attitude;) just fed up with people saying I can keep my NTL/Telewest email account without being a customer, for now that is till Virgin close them.

I hope you do not use NTL mail as losing your contacts when eventually they close all rogue email that are unattached to accounts will not be very funny, if you have one I would advise a transfer to Googlemail or similar.:)

Which was my original point. Don't assume to assume.

whydoIneedatech
28-06-2008, 10:57
Which was my original point. Don't assume to assume.

The billing side is going through a major upgrade and clean up, during which all stray email accounts that are still active will disappear, anyone that has a Virginmedia email account that should have closed when they left Virginmedia and are still able to use it, have been advised by myself and others that if they lose their email access they cannot complain.

I work for the Company and I am stating fact not an attitude, you on the other hand have an attitude towards fact.;)

Florence
28-06-2008, 12:04
I left recently and notified all who I wished to have my new email address others that are still sending to NTL will start to get bounced which I am not worried about.

What does worry me is the alterations in billing date after I left the inability to carry out my request last year for my BB package to be lowered and now the request to pay back to NTL world discounts which if they had reduced my package as requested shouldn't have had any discounts.