PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Management On Broadband L

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 19:11
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if say I use up my allowance in the first hour and then get put on traffic management, do I stay on it for 5 whole hours or just the remainder of the Traffic Management period (4-9pm etc)

Thanks

joglynne
15-06-2008, 19:19
5 hours from when you hit the top of your allowance. ie you could be subjected to a 5 hour reduction starting at 8.59pm.

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 19:21
is this confirmed by virgin media or just what you think? also how does it work when you go into the next period of traffic management (10-3 and then 4-9)

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

thanks for the reply :D

joglynne
15-06-2008, 19:33
An example of how this works is that if a broadband size M customer downloaded 500MB of data between 4pm and 9pm, their speed would be temporarily managed with their download speed set to 1Mb and their upload speed to 128Kb for a 5 hours.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html
If your speed was reduced you would return to your normal service speed at the end of the 5 hours. If after this you again hit your limit during a Traffic Managed period you could again have your speed reduced for a further 5 hours.

ie reduced from 11am to 4pm. Hit limit at 5pm and be reduced again from 5pm to 10pm.

If this were to happen to me I would be considering changing my BB usage pattern, LOL

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 19:44
"If your speed was reduced you would return to your normal service speed at the end of the 5 hours"

the 5 hour traffic management or 5 hours that pass?

and how come between 3 and 4 o clock there isnt any? surely this is a busy time?

thanks for the rpelies.

duffman
15-06-2008, 19:49
and how come between 3 and 4 o clock there isnt any? surely this is a busy time?

Give VM a few more months and then STM will be 24 hours

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 19:50
do you think so? because i am about to join vrgin media :L are they allowed to do this?

Gary L
15-06-2008, 19:56

That was decided from the intensive market research they did, where 8 out of 10 make believe people said they would prefer it.

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

are they allowed to do this?

They are allowed to do anything they want due to the size of the company. if they were a smaller company the right people would throw the book at them.

joglynne
15-06-2008, 19:58
"If your speed was reduced you would return to your normal service speed at the end of the 5 hours"

the 5 hour traffic management or 5 hours that pass?

thanks for the rpelies.

You would have a 5 hour restriction regardless of whether a Traffic Management period had ended or not.

Why no management between 3 and 4 o'clock? Your guess is as good as mine on that one. VM do qualify the 10am to 3pm by sayingIn extreme cases, we'll now also reduce the speed between 10am and 3pm - something that'll have an impact on just 1% of our customers.

Same link as my previous post.

I would suspect that VM are aware that a blanket TM would be a bit difficult to hide.

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 19:59
slightly off topic but would you guys reccommend them: i want them for general surfin and a little online gaming?

joglynne
15-06-2008, 20:16
I am on the Baguley server which is infamous for it's overcontention so any advise I were to give you would not be the unbiased advise you need.

On 4MB I have no problems with normal surfing etc and, as I do most of my up/down loading after 10pm, I have only been subjected to TM a couple of times.

As for gaming I am sure there will be someone along soon who can give you the low down.

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 20:21
thanks joglynne,, youve been a real help! have you been upgraded to 10 mb yet?

joglynne
15-06-2008, 20:28
No. :(

They did do a 'shuffle' a few weeks ago which has given me a more stable connection but from experience in the past I assume we will be one of the last areas to be upgraded.

However as the contention will probably increase with the upgrade maybe being last could a good thing.

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 20:28
mine is being done currently :D and should be finished by the end of june according to their website.

AmAtoL
15-06-2008, 20:51
If there is only yourself playing online then I would guess at it being ok. Even on an uversubscribed UBR like mine it's ok most of the time, ok but not brilliant. Due to ongoing issues with me not being able to "sort out my settings" for the router, which I share with 2 other PC's and a lappy I am considering getting the BT line reactivated for my gaming.

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 21:18
thanks. my friend down the road has ps3 with 2 mb virgi connection and tbh its bloody fantastic, so shud be alrite, as contention is low down here :D

joglynne
15-06-2008, 21:31
Do not brag about good speeds, it's not nice. :D

I don't know if you have noticed but the forum has a games area which can be found here. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/30/)

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 21:36
haha :P

lightwind
16-06-2008, 15:49
slightly off topic but would you guys reccommend them: i want them for general surfin and a little online gaming?

Personally, I've been getting reasonably consistent download speeds over the past few weeks, and am still waiting for the free upgrade to 10Mb. I only use the web for general surfing, email and occasional downloads of software, video clips etc - so for me, it's absolutely OK for that.

However, I strongly agree with many other posters in this forum about VM service levels being of big concern, expecially STM which seems very unfair to a lot of users.

Can't comment about on-line gaming as I don't have any expereince of this.