PDA

View Full Version : so are the new STM limits active yet or not?

zer0
14-06-2008, 16:26
if the new STM limit for 2mbit users is 500mb in peak times how come after downloading 300mb yesterday in peak time i find im STMd to 1mbit (i wasnt uploading so it wasnt that)

Kymmy
14-06-2008, 16:43
Even web browsing/file sharing you might have hit the paltry 200Mb upload limit which runs from 15:00 till 20:00. Do you run DU meter or something similar as that's the only true way you can say "I only downloaded 300Mb". You might find that if you continue having the same problem to install such a tool.

Also are you definate that it was STM?? What was your upload speed at the time of the slowdown?

Kymmy

zer0
14-06-2008, 16:49
yes im running netmeter, as i said i wasnt uploading anything

total upload from 4pm was about 10-20mb just from downloading

Kymmy
14-06-2008, 16:53
As I said next time confirm it's STM by the upload speed and if it is then hammer the free TS number with your netmeter data.

And off course let all of us know how you get on as it's relevant to a lot of people :)

Kymmy

frogstamper
14-06-2008, 19:16
Just out of interest can anyone tell me roughly what sort of bandwidth you would use per hour for just web browsing?

Kymmy
15-06-2008, 09:08
That's like asking people how long is a piece of string...

Sites these days can go from primarily text which don't take up a lot to insane graphics/vids that take up loads....

Kymmy

zing_deleted
15-06-2008, 09:15
The daytime limit is definately not in force everywhere yet as the last couple of days ive been pretty busy massively overrunning the 6 gig limit and I mean massively between 10 and 3

Sirius
15-06-2008, 09:19
The daytime limit is definately not in force everywhere yet as the last couple of days ive been pretty busy massively overrunning the 6 gig limit and I mean massively between 10 and 3

I was stm'd at 1.00 o'clock this morning and it lasted till 6.00 am. Checked my upload and that had been cut as well. VM what is the bloody point of telling everyone you have the fastest speeds if you then spend NO MONEY on it and STM it to hell instead. You are now officially the new AOL.

I was going to signup to 50 mb when its ready but i dont see the point when you will just stm that as well, Would sooner spend that money on another provider.

So it looks like my area has STM as follows

10.00 am to 3.00 pm
4.00 pm to 9.00 pm
12.00 am to 06.00 am looks like a new trial

I ask you whats the ****ing point of having 20mb

And before anyone asks i do understand how stm works and thats why i checked my upload and it had been cut as well.

My speeds were cut to

download 4.87mb
upload 189Kb

Now that in my eyes is STM.

Jelly
15-06-2008, 09:45
You were awake between 1AM and 6AM last night?

Bonglet
15-06-2008, 09:46
I agree sirus it pointless having 20mb if you cannot use it properly its like the whole connection is worse than when i was on 10mb under telewest with the added bonus of extra latency and timeouts which i never had under 6yrs of telewest.

Pointless paying for something that is throttled to death and p.s. the prices suck royally for a capped service, for just broadband itself its a total con thats why im ****ed the most.

Time to switch now before it gets worse imo and it pains me to say that now i have to deal with the devil that is bt to get a rip off line in but will be worth it in the long run ;(.

duffman
15-06-2008, 09:46
Sirius, are you saying then that VM are also running STM overnight? I thought that would be the only time we get left alone.

Bonglet
15-06-2008, 09:50
yeah its coming duffman 24 hr stm coming soon all with added phorm (they have to make some more money while your capped).

duffman
15-06-2008, 09:53
So 'unlimited' will become a gb package depending on what level you are on. Methinks VM have blown it.

Jelly
15-06-2008, 09:56
They have no justification for running overnight STM short of "Some of our customers might suffer from insomnia or jetlag and may wish to use the Internet overnight. However, their speeds are being affected by heavy users who are taking up to 99% of overnight traffic. We feel the best solution to this is to limit all of those heavy downloaders so that insomniacs and travellers across Britain can happily use the internet at full speed whenever they want."

No.

Bonglet
15-06-2008, 10:05
Simple choice of the matter is vote with your feet its been said enough times before VM are constantly pushing and pushing there customers with the most crappy and terrible ideas it beggars belief, whereas once they had some sort of competition now they have the cable monopoly they can just keep pushing and pushing more stupid ideas and hope that the customers stay (hint for vm - see how your profits do and your customers feel soon if you have any left).

Sirius
15-06-2008, 10:24
You were awake between 1AM and 6AM last night?

My router and pc were :LOL:

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Sirius, are you saying then that VM are also running STM overnight? I thought that would be the only time we get left alone.

That is what happened to me last night. It is the first time its happened but to be honest i have NO trust in VM anymore and see 24 hour STM as there next step to reduce costs of upgrading there network

A lttle bet here.

24 hour stm will come in at the start of 50 Mb, Its the only way they will be able to offer 50 Mb and still have anything above dialup speed for everyone else.

duffman
15-06-2008, 10:33
Oh well. Be Unlimited are coming to my exchange in June so looks like i could be making changes.

xspeedyx
15-06-2008, 11:00
I cant believe VM will do this o wait no I can this is bull **** looks like I am going to be adding a lot of disconnections on VM accounts.

Well done VM you have really messed this up now.

Cobbydaler
15-06-2008, 11:00
<snip>

A lttle bet here.

24 hour stm will come in at the start of 50 Mb, Its the only way they will be able to offer 50 Mb and still have anything above dialup speed for everyone else.

There have been many posts on here indicating that the 50Mbps service will be based on pre-DOCSIS3/DOCSIS3 & so will not affect the lower tiers...

e.g. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34442387-post30.html

Sirius
15-06-2008, 11:04
There have been many posts on here indicating that the 50Mbps service will be based on pre-DOCSIS3/DOCSIS3 & so will not affect the lower tiers...

e.g. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34442387-post30.html

But it still uses the same core network

Bonglet
15-06-2008, 11:29
Hence why vm are still miserable in the upload dept on 50mb, 1.5 up where that old creaky copper that we keep hearing about on adsl2 offers 2.5 up if it was truely that much faster with using new docsis it would be double the old creaky copper would it not?

Cobbydaler
15-06-2008, 11:32
But it still uses the same core network

Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to confirm this, but I believe if you read the DOCSIS 1.1 & 3.0 specs:

http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/doc11.html SP-RFIv1.1

http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/doc30.html SP-PHYv3.0

that's irrelevant...

Sirius
15-06-2008, 12:10
Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to confirm this, but I believe if you read the DOCSIS 1.1 & 3.0 specs:

http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/doc11.html SP-RFIv1.1

http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/doc30.html SP-PHYv3.0

that's irrelevant...

I understand the cable network having worked on it in a past job. However VM need to be upgrading both local and core and not just hoping that a new version of docsis will be there savour.

I honestly hope that i am wrong on the over night STM, Cable is the best broadband connection if its maintained and upgraded, Sadly STM is one way of dipping out on upgrades.

Please VM prove me wrong.

Cobbydaler
15-06-2008, 12:40
Well, certainly a 20 - 24 hour STMd connection can in no way honestly be sold as an 'unlimited' service...

But let's not get into that debate again! ;) :angel:

Sirius
15-06-2008, 12:43
Well, certainly a 20 - 24 hour STMd connection can in no way honestly be sold as an 'unlimited' service...

But let's not get into that debate again! ;) :angel:

:LOL: Please lets not have that debate again :)

Nicosia
15-06-2008, 13:11
how do u make du meter start from 10am because i use my lap top before 10am and du meter counts the bandwith i used from 7am to the daily 3GB limit or until 9pm limit

zer0
15-06-2008, 15:04
in netmeter (http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/) i can go to the totals dialog and use the reset button next to the "data transferd since (date/time)" while reseting the current readout, logs for daily totals are unaffected

i got a bandwidth monitor due to the complex new stm rules but im not sure how usefull it is if no one can tell me if the new rules are active yet or not, i thought they would be since the VM website changed but after experiancing STM under the old limits im totaly lost now.

frogstamper
15-06-2008, 19:44
how do u make du meter start from 10am because i use my lap top before 10am and du meter counts the bandwith i used from 7am to the daily 3GB limit or until 9pm limit

On the free trial version I downloaded the du meter now has a stopwatch capability.

r00t
15-06-2008, 20:44
Netlimiter (http://www.netlimiter.com/), this maybe a little easier to read and use.

zing_deleted
15-06-2008, 20:53
I was stm'd at 1.00 o'clock this morning and it lasted till 6.00 am. Checked my upload and that had been cut as well. VM what is the bloody point of telling everyone you have the fastest speeds if you then spend NO MONEY on it and STM it to hell instead. You are now officially the new AOL.

I was going to signup to 50 mb when its ready but i dont see the point when you will just stm that as well, Would sooner spend that money on another provider.

10.00 am to 3.00 pm
4.00 pm to 9.00 pm

And before anyone asks i do understand how stm works and thats why i checked my upload and it had been cut as well.

My speeds were cut to

download 4.87mb
upload 189Kb

I see your point however at least 2 days this week ive downloaded 40 + gig on both these days so im still getting what I want out of my connection just managing it differently. If I only had 5 meg which is all I can get with a dsl provider if I queued 20+ gig to download overnight I woudl get up and it would still be downloading but as things are on 20 meg I queue it up and its finished when I get up meaning the little things I get in the day or my web browsing isnt interupted or hassled bt me maxing my connection. I do see everyones point about STM and the new one when it is implemented will mean pretty much all my downloads will be overnight and if as you say they do it over night ill spread it out over the week. I will manage and live with it as fo me even under stm im getting the same I would be able to elsewhere. It is a good job I get my services cheap though

broadbandbug
17-06-2008, 15:01

10.00 am to 3.00 pm
4.00 pm to 9.00 pm

My speeds were cut to

download 4.87mb
upload 189Kb

Doesn't 20Mb/s get cut down to 5Mb/s DS and 256Kb/s US so 189Kb/s is well short on upstream.. So that would point away from STM and more to do with you and another few users legitimately caning their connection overnight!

TraxData
17-06-2008, 15:27
Doesn't 20Mb/s get cut down to 5Mb/s DS and 256Kb/s US so 189Kb/s is well short on upstream.. So that would point away from STM and more to do with you and another few users legitimately caning their connection overnight!

It's 256Kbit/s including overheads in that and you average out at around 180Kbit/s

It's never been spot on.

And i somehow doubt other users downloading would leave your connection pretty much spot on 5mbit.

Kymmy
17-06-2008, 15:36
It's like a game of cat and mouse...

Big downloaders downloaded throughout the evening, so in comes STM between 4-12,

The downloaders then move to earlier times of the day so VM drop the 4-12 to 4-9 in a prelude to introducing the 10-4/4-9 uploads/downloads limits.

So the downloaders move to night time, VM obviously will follow with thier STM...

In the end the downloaders move to BE, BE then introduces an FUP or STM limits and the fun starts over again. In a year or two the BE downloaders have moved again....

Talk about the never ending story :)

Kymmy

xspeedyx
17-06-2008, 16:08
The upload is 192kb/s on stm'd 20Mb connection so sirus is been traffic managed

zing_deleted
17-06-2008, 16:14
It's like a game of cat and mouse...

Big downloaders downloaded throughout the evening, so in comes STM between 4-12,

The downloaders then move to earlier times of the day so VM drop the 4-12 to 4-9 in a prelude to introducing the 10-4/4-9 uploads/downloads limits.

So the downloaders move to night time, VM obviously will follow with thier STM...

In the end the downloaders move to BE, BE then introduces an FUP or STM limits and the fun starts over again. In a year or two the BE downloaders have moved again....

Talk about the never ending story :)

Kymmy

or the big downloaders buy a hacked modem and download on a second pc 24 hours a day putting more strain on the network whilst there paid for connection is just used to browse and stay inside the caps.

I will not condone cable theft but if VM stuff us then stuff them

Nicosia
18-06-2008, 10:56
your paying for this fast connection and cant really use it it ends up being a 5mbit connection most of the time, hopefully enough people will leave so vm stop this smt or at least reduce the hours that u are capped, 4-9 was ok but they just keep adding hours making it 24/7, or at least they should reduce the price to £15-£20 for the connection, you pay nearly £40 a month for a connection that u cant use.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

im told you can buy a chipped modem and wont be capped, but i wouldent take the risk and have my connection taken away completely by vm for having a chipped modem ive been capped yet again last night i dident even realise it until 9pm when i decided it was ok to dl my files and the dls wouldent go over 500kbytes :s i was sure i hadent gone over, and by the time it goes back to normal speed im in bed sleeping and wait for the next day for the speeds but have to be careful not to hit 3GB until 9pm onwards which i do anyway, it sucks

Kymmy
18-06-2008, 11:43
im told you can buy a chipped modem and wont be capped,

You were already warned about that question when you asked the same thing in THIS THREAD (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33634436-is-it-true-about-chipped-modems.html)

Well you'll get the same answer, the STM is done at the UBR and NOT via the modem so illegal or not it'll still get STM'd.

Now off with your head for talking about such things!!!!! https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/16.gif

Kymmy

TraxData
18-06-2008, 11:53
You were already warned about that question when you asked the same thing in THIS THREAD (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33634436-is-it-true-about-chipped-modems.html)

Well you'll get the same answer, the STM is done at the UBR and NOT via the modem so illegal or not it'll still get STM'd.

Now off with your head for talking about such things!!!!! https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/16.gif

Kymmy

Yes illegal but no, they dont get stm'd, but i'm not going into that.

Nicosia
18-06-2008, 11:58
sorry,

i wouldent do it either though