PDA

View Full Version : New boys problem

Ian2411
13-06-2008, 17:24
I opened my IE explorer the other day only to find Virgin media`s homepage had replaced mine. Clicked on home page in explorer and up came trusty old google. I then opened "Tools" to make sure homepage had`nt been altered but that was still set on google. I thought it might be a one off but over the last few days when I open IE it has randomly bought up Virgins page so I ran Ad-aware to see if they had installed spyware but it found nothing, then on the advice of a friend I downloaded "SUPERAntiSpyware", ran it and although this picked up a load of new stuff which I got rid of, the problem still persisted.
Complained through E mail to Virgin Media and they responded by informing me that they were sorry I did`nt want Virgin as my home page but I could alter it by changing the settings on my internet account! Bloody cheek, they`r the ones who have been doing the messing.
Got onto the phone to their internet services, they tried to flannel me with the spyware stuff but when I pointed that I was not a complete novice they backed off and said they would get a tech to phone back, yea right I won`t be holding my breath.

I suspect that when I open explorer they`r hijacking my log-on onto their homepage in the hope of screwing me into buying more of their services,
Anyone been here before ? Thanks

r00t
13-06-2008, 17:45
Impossible, Virgin can not change your home page remotely.
If you have run the virgin install CD that would set your home page to virgins.

whydoIneedatech
13-06-2008, 18:19
I opened my IE explorer the other day only to find Virgin media`s homepage had replaced mine. Clicked on home page in explorer and up came trusty old google. I then opened "Tools" to make sure homepage had`nt been altered but that was still set on google. I thought it might be a one off but over the last few days when I open IE it has randomly bought up Virgins page so I ran Ad-aware to see if they had installed spyware but it found nothing, then on the advice of a friend I downloaded "SUPERAntiSpyware", ran it and although this picked up a load of new stuff which I got rid of, the problem still persisted.
Complained through E mail to Virgin Media and they responded by informing me that they were sorry I did`nt want Virgin as my home page but I could alter it by changing the settings on my internet account! Bloody cheek, they`r the ones who have been doing the messing.
Got onto the phone to their internet services, they tried to flannel me with the spyware stuff but when I pointed that I was not a complete novice they backed off and said they would get a tech to phone back, yea right I won`t be holding my breath.

I suspect that when I open explorer they`r hijacking my log-on onto their homepage in the hope of screwing me into buying more of their services,
Anyone been here before ? Thanks

Only you or another user can set a homepage, Virgin or any other ISP do not have the remote capability to access your machine.

Ian2411
13-06-2008, 23:11
This is precisely my quandary, I set up my internet connection 4 years ago and am still useing telewest`s old software and modern, I`ve made no recent software changes except the latest spyware detection program and this problem happens at random when opening IE and I repeat no changes are apparent to IE tools options ect to homepage setting.
I know ISP`s have the ability to block any website they don`t wish you to visit extreme sites ect so how easy would it be to re-direct your log-on to another site. Whats wierd also is that before this happened I`ve never even visited any other Virgin website to pick up an unknown malware, to me they`r just a providor and all their junk mail comming through the letter box goes in the bin unopened.
Thanks for your time anyway guys

whydoIneedatech
13-06-2008, 23:31
This is precisely my quandary, I set up my internet connection 4 years ago and am still useing telewest`s old software and modern, I`ve made no recent software changes except the latest spyware detection program and this problem happens at random when opening IE and I repeat no changes are apparent to IE tools options ect to homepage setting.
I know ISP`s have the ability to block any website they don`t wish you to visit extreme sites ect so how easy would it be to re-direct your log-on to another site. Whats wierd also is that before this happened I`ve never even visited any other Virgin website to pick up an unknown malware, to me they`r just a providor and all their junk mail comming through the letter box goes in the bin unopened.
Thanks for your time anyway guys

If you are using IE7 go to tools>internet options>advanced>reset
this will restore IE7 to "factory settings" and should resolve your problem.

Welshchris
14-06-2008, 01:56
someone proberbly used ur PC and changed it.