PDA

View Full Version : what happens if i keep going over the limit?

Nicosia
12-06-2008, 08:45
Hi,

If i kep going over my 300Mb limit from 10am - 9pm i understand 3rd time ntl send a letter? and if you kep doing it will they do anything??

300mb is so low limit you cant do anything! why is here any limit a t all on 2megs it should be no cap at anytime

LostintheNW
12-06-2008, 08:54
Hi,

If i kep going over my 300Mb limit from 10am - 9pm i understand 3rd time ntl send a letter? and if you kep doing it will they do anything??

300mb is so low limit you cant do anything! why is here any limit a t all on 2megs it should be no cap at anytime

I thought the letters were to inform you when you are downloading pirated material. I think if you keep going over you just end up on the stupid traffice management system. Keep doing it anyway, saves you having to give the supposed 30 day notice period to end your contract with them :)

My router is "accidentally" open to all my neighbours for them to download what they like ;)

Nicosia
12-06-2008, 09:05
but 300mb limit is usless i cant dl game demos and i watch youtube a lot also and my brother has his lap top connected watching tv episodes, him alone watching 1 tv gets us capped seing as each episode is 350mb :S..

so they will cut our internet off i we keep going over? i watch online episodes greek ones because we dont have greek tv so i can watch it online but this capping stuff makes it hard and seing as the bill payer doesent want to upgrade i cant do anything, hopefully the letter will convinve the bill payer to upgrade us to 20mbit

xspeedyx
12-06-2008, 09:19
Nothing will happen to you just that just keep getting STM'd best if you get someone to upgrade

bertles86
12-06-2008, 10:53
Plus its 4pm - 9pm not 10am!

moaningmags
12-06-2008, 10:57
Plus its 4pm - 9pm not 10am!

It's also 10am -3pm

As shown here:

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

buba3d
12-06-2008, 11:17
plus its also 12.00am to 12.00 am. lol

Skyco
12-06-2008, 11:20
Referring to moaningmags link, Traffic Management (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php)

I wouldn't worry about being cut off my friend, they won't do that.

Think of it as them trying to "even" things out on the Broadband connection, although it doesn't sound fair to you and i, think of Mr Blogs next door checking his email getting real slow speeds because we're hogging all the bandwidth :)

Download as much as you want! They won't cut you off, they will "manage" your connection.

bertles86
12-06-2008, 11:26
Thats <removed> Even more caps wonderful - how are we meant to dl anything! VM are havin a bleed giraffe. What better ISP offers 4mb for under £20?

Stuart
12-06-2008, 11:29
If you can get it, Be do upto 24meg for £18, or O2 (who own Be) do up to 20 Meg for £15

Horace
12-06-2008, 12:43
Hi,

There's certain people on this forum (according to their terabyte download quotes) who've probably been going over it 24/7 since it was first introduced. My opinion is the limits are there so Virgin don't have to cut people off and you'd get plenty of warning from here if Virgin ever did start to do that.

mentalis
12-06-2008, 12:50
There are big arguments about this on other posts. Virgin offer an unlimited service, which seems to mean you can download as much as you like from the Internet, as long as you can get it down your line (which is restricted if you try to push too much down it).

InsaneNutter
12-06-2008, 14:28
If you can get it, Be do upto 24meg for £18, or O2 (who own Be) do up to 20 Meg for £15

Most people will never get anywhere near them speeds though, I presume that’s why people still use Virgin Media... even when out 20mbit connection is throttled to 5mbit (which is just about every day sadly) it’s still 3mbit more than we could ever get with ADSL.

lightwind
12-06-2008, 14:36
It's also 10am -3pm

As shown here:

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Is my memeory right? I seem to recall that the STM blurb originally quoted by VM was to limit the top 3% of so called heavy users. Now, this VM has crept this up to 5%!

So, is 10% next? .... then 20%? :confused:

I don't like the look of this one bit.

DJ2liveUK
12-06-2008, 15:31
it certainly is aimed at a higher proportion than the original 3% and even the newly announced 5%. VM are taking the p*ss. The STM rules not only affect the hardcore downloader, but now interferes with the run of the mill home user that wants to use the internet for it original intention. Granted VM do not kick you off once you go over your allowance, but they do restrict your activity for an ever increasing period with stupid limits imposed. The average game demo is over 1GB now which immediately slams you in to the STM limit and if you buy a game through STEAM then again you are penalised. If they wanted to do this properly then they would restrict the P2P applications and not across the whole board. Come on Richard Branson put your hand in your pocket and invest in the failing VM network and stop oversubscribing you money grabbing b@st@rd.

TraxData
12-06-2008, 15:40
You get this lovely letter
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7871/vm1kd9.th.jpg (http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vm1kd9.jpg)
I got one and im not even with VM anymore :D