PDA

View Full Version : Changing IP On Virgin Media

Torseor
11-06-2008, 18:16
Well, I seem to have had the same IP for a very long time. Now, I'm not going to lie - one of the reasons for wanting to change my IP is because I've been IP-banned from a good few entities, being a belligerent fellow. :dozey:

Anyway, I've scoured the internet, and I think I've tried just about everything to change this little number, but nothing has worked.

I have a "Scientific Atlanta" modem, with a "Belkin" router. IP chicken gives me the following:

Name Address: <IP HERE>.cable.ubr12.live.blueyonder.co.uk

What would you advise I do, to change it? Is it eveb possible? Thanks!

In before "try searching" - you can't search for 2 character strings :D

kryogenik
11-06-2008, 18:24
Change your router's mac address and reboot your modem.
Worked for me.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602406-how-to-change-your-ip-address.html

Torseor
11-06-2008, 18:34
You genius.. it worked :D:D

Thanks! My only slight discrepancy is that only the last 2 numbers have changed, anything you can do about that? Still, I'm happy :)

kryogenik
11-06-2008, 18:42

Thanks! My only slight discrepancy is that only the last 2 numbers have changed, anything you can do about that? Still, I'm happy :)

Probably eventually, but only IF possible.
I can't find my post on here when I did it. I had been given an IP range from VM that had known issues at the time I just wanted rid of that, so I'm pretty sure I managed to change the first numbers in the address, but normally I have the same ones as I've had for a long time so you may be stuck with those.
Perhaps worth releasing your IP address (start, cmd, ipconfig /release) then leaving it a while, then changing your mac address?
I have to say, I have an STB so I'm really not up to scratch with cable modems, and only really recently had myself a router. I'm sure someone will be along soon who maybe able to give you more advice. In any case, unless someone's been naffed off enough to ban a whole IP range, your probs should be over.
Just play nice and don't attract attention.
;)

whydoIneedatech
11-06-2008, 19:27

The are still thousands of IP addresses out there even if say for example yours started : 92.88.*.* just think of how many IP addresses that will still be available.

Torseor
11-06-2008, 19:55
Well, here is the IP:

10.123.12.XXX

the only thing that has changed is the last ones (the Xs)

If I left it off for longer do you think you could get a drastically different one? :D

kryogenik
11-06-2008, 20:01
You can but try.
I'd be happy with that though.
Your ISP may well ONLY have that 10.123. range so could be wasting your time.

sstainer
11-06-2008, 20:15
i heard doing it via ipconfig /release last thing at night leaving modem off then power it all back up in the morning ? however not tried this yet myself so cant comment. if it would work?

r00t
11-06-2008, 20:23
i heard doing it via ipconfig /release last thing at night leaving modem off then power it all back up in the morning ? however not tried this yet myself so cant comment. if it would work?

Though VM IP addresses are dynamic, the same IP would be requested from the pool via DHCP. If the IP is available then you would be assigned the same one.

kryogenik
11-06-2008, 20:23

Sometimes. Depends how long your IP lease is (:edit: I think. See above post from r00t).
You can see in your network card properties/support/details tab (XP) or Network And Sharing Center/View Status/Details in Vista.

whydoIneedatech
11-06-2008, 21:53
Well, here is the IP:

10.123.12.XXX

the only thing that has changed is the last ones (the Xs)

If I left it off for longer do you think you could get a drastically different one? :D

Who is your ISP?

If Virgin go to the top of the page and click CONNECTION as this will give your true IP as 10.123.X.X sounds like your PC's IP not a public IP

r00t
11-06-2008, 22:36
10*.* ip would be the router IP would it not?

indie1982
11-06-2008, 22:44
10*.* ip would be the router IP would it not?

Correct, Class A private address space.

By following the instructions in the link kryogenik gave at the beginning I have a feeling all you are doing is releasing and renewing the internal IP address that your router gives to your machine via it's own DHCP server. Because you're changing your network card's MAC the router is giving you a different internal IP address.

Most routers have a facility to spoof or clone the MAC address on the external interface. If you change this to a random MAC address then get the router to release it's external IP, power the router and modem down for 20-30 minutes then power up, chances are the IP you had will have gone back into the pool and have been allocated to someone else.

When the modem requests an address you should get a new one from the DHCP pool.

AbyssUnderground
11-06-2008, 22:56
Changing the router MAC, then resetting both the modem and router, should get you a new IP instantly without waiting for it to go back into the pool. I did it 3 times in one evening once when I was being DDoS'ed (I was hosting websites at home at the time so my domains updated my IP quite quickly).

kryogenik
11-06-2008, 23:03
By following the instructions in the link kryogenik

Thanks. I didn't even read the posts at the link properly.
I just saw MAC address. I was doing ten things at once again.

If I remember rightly, I changed the MAC address on the router's configuration page and rebooted, then I had a new IP address & I had to go through the provisioning page process.

kryogenik
11-06-2008, 23:05
Please don't post links to pirated material on here...

rich_chelt
11-06-2008, 23:09
soz..deleted link.

Torseor
13-06-2008, 10:54
Ok people, this is perfect now.

If you want a drastic change of IP (I changed every damn number in mine) then a) change your MAC address drastically and b) Leave your power off for a night :D