PDA

View Full Version : My Virgin Media 20mb Connection Problems on Xbox 360!

xShaDowZz
10-06-2008, 13:42
I just recently got my Virgin Media Broadband installed.
I got the 20Mb Service as i download a lot and play online often too.
The Connection is perfect on my laptop. Allways getting the speed that i am supposed to. I am currently using the Netgear WGR614-6VGUKS which you get with the internet, that works fine with the laptop.

I have connected my Xbox 360 to the Modem via Ethernt Cable. I keep getting LAG everytime i play online. I cant host on any game because it lags for other players and on Gears Of War the Connection Error appears everytime i host.

I have tested my connection many times on my Laptop. Wireless test and with it connected via ethernet cable to. I get a Great Connection. With speeds constantly above 19Mb+ with an upload of 700+ kb/s

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/43.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

My mates have exactly the same connection but they can host and play games without any problems which leads me to think that the modem is bad for online gaming. Allthough he is using a different router.

I have just ordered a new modem : Linksys WRT330N Wireless N 4-Port Gigabit Gaming Router

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175243240960&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4096033028B05

I hope that this may fix the problem. If anyone has any ideas why my connection online is very bad your help would be appritiated greatly?
Thanks!

hoggie
11-06-2008, 00:33
is the xbox outside the NAT ?

my sons xbox was always having problems.
we tried port forwarding it worked but still got some lag on hosting.
so we put the xbox outside the nat and it now works great.

IT Lemming
11-06-2008, 09:56
is the xbox outside the NAT ?

my sons xbox was always having problems.
we tried port forwarding it worked but still got some lag on hosting.
so we put the xbox outside the nat and it now works great.

How do you do that, I appear to be having similar problems with my router, sometimes it appears to work ok, but then it wont allow us to team up or review friends data online in gaming, and I have had to connect the xbox direct to the modem to get it working.:mad:

xShaDowZz
11-06-2008, 16:58
My NAT Setting is Fine. Its allways on Open.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Dont Worry its been sorted. I have bought a new Linksys router and it works great. Havent lagged a bit since i bought this.
Cost me over £90 with delivery from the US.
If any1 else wants to buy the router is called the Linksys Wireless N Gaming Router WRT330N.

THx!

hoggie
11-06-2008, 19:00
all i did was assign each pc/laptop,Xbox its own ip the just put the xbox ip outside the DMZ. easy :D

xShaDowZz
11-06-2008, 19:28
Ok kl. How did ou do that.
Just in case i need to do it if u dont mind posting it up.

hoggie
11-06-2008, 23:50
in the set-up of the xbox you can (instead of using auto)assign an ip as long as its in the range of 192.168.1.0/100.
you then need to assign each pc/laptop its own ip(also within the 1/100 range).
put the ip assigned to the xbox outside the nat.
don't auto assign ips on the laptop/pc's. as this will just create a ip conflict and you will lose your connection.:D

xShaDowZz
12-06-2008, 00:06
Ok thanks 4 that. I will give it a go. Hopefully it will do the trick for me.

powercool
28-07-2008, 20:32
i have the same issue i can't host a game online,but even i use the cable modem straight to the ps3 i can't host any games.so i don't understand why a new router from linksys would make a difference? how has it been for you now?
please it s driving me crazy
thanks for helping

xShaDowZz
28-07-2008, 20:45
I wasted my money on Two different routers costing me over £150 and its still the same for me.
I know other people who are withthe same Conection and they can host perfectly.
I have tried using different cables to connect my Router to the Xbox whch made a slight difference. but i still had problems with it after a while.
I have the Virgin media Modem Version 256 but i have been told that the Blue Virgin media Version 250 is much better with Xbox live.
Im going to getin contact with Virgin media and try and get them to send me one so i could try and see iif it makes a difference.
Its annoying me as i am paying a lot of money for this connection and i cant even host a 3v3.

lowei
28-07-2008, 21:08
Same here i live in the Bolton area,and am on 4meg upto a month ago i used to be able to host cod4 fine.only on 4 meg,still waiting for upgrade,got 2 xboxs and for some reason cant host now,but it ran like a dream for months.now cant host more than 10 people.

powercool
28-07-2008, 21:42
dunno what to do same here,i can host free for all great though,but no domination or more than 10 people at the time,it seems the connection is not stable enough

xShaDowZz
28-07-2008, 22:43
Same here. I can host a 14 - 16 player FFA fine with everybody on Full bar or 3 bar connection with no lag. But when it comes to Search and Destroy or any other team based mode it wont work. GoW i cant host but off host connection is Fine.

All of this leads me to think that there is something wrong with the Virgin media modem. I will try and get in contact with Virgin 2morro and try and get some info out of them.

powercool
28-07-2008, 22:55
i tried that but they say they don't support online gaming bla bla bla,so i say why do you advertise it then? they say we know it s possible but can't support we would not know where to start.
that s so annoying...........

powercool
29-07-2008, 15:30
have you tried to call them today?

whydoIneedatech
29-07-2008, 19:42
have you tried to call them today?

Virgin only support the connection not your console.

lowei
30-07-2008, 18:56
Same here i live in the Bolton area,and am on 4meg upto a month ago i used to be able to host cod4 fine.only on 4 meg,still waiting for upgrade,got 2 xboxs and for some reason cant host now,but it ran like a dream for months.now cant host more than 10 people.

been upgraded to 10meg and still cant host WTF??????:mad:

powercool
31-07-2008, 02:04
i really don't get it. i have a great connection though

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/07/4.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

powercool
09-08-2008, 17:59
have you fixed anything yet?i called them and say i wanted to cancel my contract because of this issue,they said ok but we need to try to fix before then,i said ok.they were actually very nice and put me through the faulty department...told me i needed to trace my ip address from another computer and from another internet connection then send them the results,i told them as well that there was many people having the same issues,which is acuatlly a mess,so i don't know what to do now?is that a big enough issue for a contract to canceled?
to be continued......

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

have you fixed anything yet?i called them and say i wanted to cancel my contract because of this issue,they said ok but we need to try to fix before then,i said ok.they were actually very nice and put me through the faulty department...told me i needed to trace my ip address from another computer and from another internet connection then send them the results,i told them as well that there was many people having the same issues,which is acuatlly a mess,so i don't know what to do now?is that a big enough issue for a contract to canceled?
to be continued......