PDA

View Full Version : Are you gonna stop downloading

xspeedyx
09-06-2008, 21:20
I think this deserves its own thread now that Virrgin Media are teaming up with the BPI are you gonna stop downloading?
Or
Are you gonna start using newsgroup if you dont already or use some othe p2p program
Or
Are you gonna carry on the same now

Enuff
09-06-2008, 21:31
Will that be all downloading, or just illegal downloading?

Sirius
09-06-2008, 21:33
No

dilli-theclaw
09-06-2008, 21:34
Not likely.

zing_deleted
09-06-2008, 21:46
yes

this diarrhea is getting a bit much now lol lol

r00t
09-06-2008, 22:00
0day FTP access, I think I'll keep downloading ;)

fluke9
09-06-2008, 22:33
What about software to prevent certain institutions identifying you ??

Peer Guardian or the like.

AbyssUnderground
09-06-2008, 22:56
Everything I download is SSL 4096bit encrypted so they'll never know what it is anyway even if they wanted to ;)

Nikesh
09-06-2008, 23:00
Yes until I find a way of downloading without them being able to track me. :)

AmAtoL
09-06-2008, 23:03
I'd just like the poxy thing to work properly...

Jake9
09-06-2008, 23:11
what kind of downloading is picked up?
Is it just bittorrent/p2p, or can it some how tell if i download somthing illeagal off rapidshare.

v0id
09-06-2008, 23:22
I have my tinfoil hat, I'll be safe

Halcyon
09-06-2008, 23:37
When does it happen or is it happening already ?

homealone
09-06-2008, 23:38
I mainly download tv programs, isn't this fuss about music downloading ??

Kymmy
09-06-2008, 23:38
The BPI threat is simply against MP3 downloaders...and I've simply never downloaded a MP3.... No point with thousands of radio stations to listen too (internet streams, sat, dab, analogue)

Even if they do though get to a point where they have the P2P sites covered there's simply too many ways of getting the downloads in secure and encrypted formats which can;t easily be identified as illegal/copyrighted material....

So I don;t think that anyone will ever ever stop downloading if they already do download, instead they'll just take the next step along and try to stay one step ahead of the BPI.

Kymmy

v0id
09-06-2008, 23:47
The BPI threat is simply against MP3 downloaders...

Oh, that's OK then. I only download .flac :p:

chrome
10-06-2008, 00:03
If they are going to look at the data u downloaded is that not illegal

Stuart
10-06-2008, 00:35

This is what the whole Phorm debate is about. It seems that (if I understand correctly) the EU says yes, and the UK Government says no.

Jonathan90
10-06-2008, 08:03
Wow root are you for real u lucky thing

HSp8
10-06-2008, 08:41
not here - why else would I be on the 20Mb package ?

but don't download music anyway - too much telly to watch

Enuff
10-06-2008, 08:44
I'd say so yeah... just like downloading but not paying for copyright material is too.

scouse66
10-06-2008, 14:55
Try DC++ it rocks, can be a bit awqward to get used to it but you get what you want and is not being looked at quite unknown to most.. Google C++

PeteTheMusicGuy
10-06-2008, 14:58
I pay for my music but if i did not this would not be stopping me ;)

chrisjones
10-06-2008, 15:49
Do you think they will target the Hardcore downloaders primarily (no pun intended) or everyone downloading even the odd album here and there?

I would have thought that this campaign would be aimed at the bootleggers out to make a few quid on market stalls and car boots? IE downloaders constantly downloading copyrighted material?

Axegrinder
10-06-2008, 16:56
I'd better uninstall Frostwire/Limewire of my pc. :erm: :angel:

To answer the question, no i wont, but i will slow down alot, but not fully stop.

bliss
10-06-2008, 17:56
Wasn't this covered a month or so ago and Virgin replied with a statement saying they aren't going to join with a 'Anti' agency?

Toto
10-06-2008, 18:17
Downloading?

Don't you mean uploading? It's the uploaders, those distributing rights protected material that the BPI are going after.

r00t
10-06-2008, 18:47
The way the bittorrent protocol works, you are uploading as you download.

xspeedyx
10-06-2008, 19:01
so true root makes me laugh when people say I am gonna leave because a ISP wont let me download illegal all ISP's are and will continue to do this VM are just making it more public

Help!!!
10-06-2008, 19:06
Giganews SSL:D so no.

TerryTibbs
10-06-2008, 19:25
The only way (correct me if im wrong) VM will no youve been downloading somthing the BPI dissaproove of will be if the BPI manage to catch your ip which they will send onto VM, so in theory unless they start infaltrating private torrent sites or wuteva all they will catch with there dumbass fake files is n00bs downloading from public trackers so best thing is to know your sources, ftp will be safe from this method as will newsgroups :D

Berealwith
10-06-2008, 19:33
nope i am not gonna stop downloading........well i have with virgin....

Angry@VMedia
10-06-2008, 20:49
I think this deserves its own thread now that Virrgin Media are teaming up with the BPI are you gonna stop downloading?
Or
Are you gonna start using newsgroup if you dont already or use some othe p2p program
Or

No chance will I stop downloading / uploading what I do at the moment!
When will they relise that it IS NOT possible to kill ALL (il)legal file sharing, the sooner they realise this and STOP wasting even more of the tax payers money on crap like this???
God, if I was in charge of the govenment / country, I'd make sure that public money used for (the already attrocious high taxes) and plough that straight back into the community (ie emergency services, teachers, schools etc...)

The way the bittorrent protocol works, you are uploading as you download.

Not necessarily there r00t!
I have jumped on torrents in the past that ONLY have seeders (ALL people have 100% of what I'm downloading) but mostly you are right, but there ARE some exceptions :)

Jelly
10-06-2008, 21:34
Seriously A@VM, are you old enough to be paying taxes? What makes you think VM are a government funded organisation?

Sirius
10-06-2008, 21:42
I don't use insecure Bit torrent. I only use a SSL based newsgroup provider. Therefor to catch me they need to

1. Get there hands on Giganews servers

2. Catch me by using DPI which then means they most probably have access to PHORM servers which they say they don't have or that they are routinely using there own DPI servers to snoop on our traffic.

If you want to reduce dramatically the chance's of you finding yourself on a BPI list, Use newsgroups only and even then only use a 3rd party provider that has SSL, NOTE you will leave your self open to detection if you use the Virgin provided news service.

Also since the change to the STM i now download at peak times, Why should i bother trying not to affect others when virgin **** on you anyway.

r00t
10-06-2008, 22:04
I see what you are getting at Angry@VMedia.
We can go at this all night, but it doesn't distract from the fact that uploading, uploading as part of the swarm whilst downloading or even just as a downloader on a 100% seeded torrent, its still illegal. Yeah I know there are legal torrents too, so lets not get into that just now.

I should think you know this already, when downloading on a well seeded torrent and you are the only downloader your IP can still be captured. You torrent client still makes requests to the swarm for pieces.

As some of the guys have pointed out a 'safer' way would be to use SSL newgroups or private FTP dumps.

Planetgarb
10-06-2008, 23:58
I wont stop downloading its the only way i can Access Lost and keep the wife happy

Agent47
11-06-2008, 00:10
VM aint gonna stop me downloading thats for sure.

Pricks.

Halcyon
11-06-2008, 00:19
Surely they are not going to have time to go through every single customer and see what people are downloading.
Most people download the odd file here or there or TV episode.
I think it is the hardcore downloaders that upload and pull data virtually 24/7 that will flag up on their systems.

icestar2
11-06-2008, 00:22
Like someone has already said in this thread its not VM that will be doing the searching. The BPI will be doing it and then passing on the information to VM.

hilfiger
11-06-2008, 00:50
peer guardian for vista is avabile

http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/showthread.php?t=14168

this should be enough to stop phrom, and majority of bad ip's

Enuff
11-06-2008, 01:21
You can't really police a law that's so easy and innocently broken.

fluke9
11-06-2008, 01:44

Yeah but its as buggy as hell.

Jelly
11-06-2008, 07:44

Even using PG, your IP will appear on the tracker which can then be reported. They don't need to connect to you.

Gary L
12-06-2008, 14:27
Or
Or

What about you? are you going to carry on or stop?

DJ2liveUK
12-06-2008, 15:24
yes I am going to stop as I feel the 5'0' close to my door. Damn must stop copying everything of the internet. My house is running out of room, too many damn DVD's that its becoming a fire hazzard. Must stop downloading, this is like a drug and addiction, quick something new just popped up. Must download that after all its the latest telly tubbies program. Quick pull the plug, no must download, no pull the plug, no download, no arrggggghhhhhh.

BAW331
12-06-2008, 17:26
Hey,

Dunno whether this has been answered already but are sites like rapidshare or megaupload safer and cant be tracked like bittorrents.

Really would like to downloads some stuff atm.

Cheers guys!

Kymmy
12-06-2008, 17:40
Hey,

Dunno whether this has been answered already but are sites like rapidshare or megaupload safer and cant be tracked like bittorrents.

Really would like to downloads some stuff atm.

Cheers guys!

Any site (even the proxy sites) will log your IP it's what they do with that log that is open for discussion. Just about everyone abides by privacy laws, but the laws can be overidden by a court order. That's one of the reasons as to why the BPI hasn't yet taken legal action the fact that it takes a court order to disclose the private information and copyright infringement is a large grey area where privacy laws are concerned.

One day though it'll happen and will set a precedent, when it does thenthat's the problem as the BPI and others will take action.

Kymmy

BAW331
12-06-2008, 22:03
Have BPI already started tracking us and sending it to VM yet?

Jelly
13-06-2008, 07:45
Still in talks.

Toto
13-06-2008, 15:47
Any site (even the proxy sites) will log your IP it's what they do with that log that is open for discussion. Just about everyone abides by privacy laws, but the laws can be overidden by a court order. That's one of the reasons as to why the BPI hasn't yet taken legal action the fact that it takes a court order to disclose the private information and copyright infringement is a large grey area where privacy laws are concerned.

One day though it'll happen and will set a precedent, when it does thenthat's the problem as the BPI and others will take action.

Kymmy

I think there are register articles that show that the BPI have made civil claims against rights infringer's, I'll see what I can find.

EDIT: Here's one (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/04/bpi_fileshare_settlements/)
Here's another (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/27/uk_p2pers_fined/)

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Still in talks.

Think they are about to issue letters

http://www.mns.co.uk/0121111.html

hilfiger
14-06-2008, 12:09
if u download .rar files is any way for em to know what comes in the packets ?

Jelly
14-06-2008, 12:22
if u download .rar files is any way for em to know what comes in the packets ?

The BPI aren't working from within Virgin, AFAIK. All they do is get IPs from a BitTorrent tracker and tell VM about the Virgin ones. HTTP, FTP and Usenet downloads are unaffected since those are Server-to-Client.