PDA

View Full Version : Get internet in my room?

the end
06-06-2008, 23:11
Hey guys i have the XL package on the internet and i want to know how much would it cost to get it installed in my room? Because atm i have it in my living room but would like it upstairs aswell, Ive been told by a "Friend" that it would cost about 75pound for cable to be installed upstairs and 30pound for wireless.

Is that about right?

Also is it would it be easyier to buy a modem box and use the cable that i have in my room for my tv and plug that into the modem box and then into my computer? And i know that the cable going to my tv box is the same as the internet cable as i had some one from VM say this :D But with this i wouldnt be able to watch telly and use the net at the same time lol

Thanks!

MovedGoalPosts
06-06-2008, 23:55
You can only have one cable modem per household account. You cannot legitimately buy a cable modem

I'd recommend you consider getting a router and connect that to your existing modem. If the router has wireless (most do) you can use that from your bedroom, or alternatively get an ethernet lead (from any decent computer shop) and run that round your house. Since router's (decent ones) can be got for around £50 if you want wireless at decent speeds) and can be self installed, that has to be cheaper than paying out to Virgin Media.

the end
07-06-2008, 10:28
Sounds like it would be cheaper to get Vm to come out and pay the 75pound for them to install it then me going round looking for the lead and rotuer Lol.

Also i wouldnt want the computer down stairs to have the full upto 20meg line id like that for my computer as i do alot of online gamming. Could it be changed?

goldoni
07-06-2008, 11:50
You would be far better taking Robs advice / option as with a router you have a Firewall that will help protect your connection plus you can have other computers on your network.

You can get some real cost effective routers these days and most computer shops can make up cables to any length you like under 100m.From what I know(see my sig) you can't buy a modem and connect it yourself to the VM network as it won't work.

Halcyon
07-06-2008, 11:54
A wired router costs as little as £25 -£30

Ethernet cable can be bought online very cheap here:
http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cable/cat5e-cables-straight/

the end
07-06-2008, 13:53
I can get hold of a cat5 cable via family or friends. But would using this router > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29833&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=router&doy=7m6
work for me such as online gamming etc..? and could it handle the upto 20meg line i have? because ive read that high meg lines need a good router?

xspeedyx
07-06-2008, 14:05
Linksys are a good router for 20Mb but your best to go wireless and that router was wired

tim80bwi
07-06-2008, 23:55
and don't buy anything from Maplin... ;)

AbyssUnderground
07-06-2008, 23:57
Get yourself a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL. You can get it from amazon or ebuyer, and lots of other places.

Stuart
07-06-2008, 23:59
I can get hold of a cat5 cable via family or friends. But would using this router > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29833&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=router&doy=7m6
work for me such as online gamming etc..? and could it handle the upto 20meg line i have? because ive read that high meg lines need a good router?

That is a BEFSR41. IIRC some of our users have reported that it has problems handling 20 meg speeds. You would be better off with one of the wrt-54g series.

dragon
08-06-2008, 00:12
Get yourself a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL. You can get it from amazon or ebuyer, and lots of other places.

Get the WRT54GL yes it's slightly more than the WRT54G but there are several unofficall 3rd party firmware's for the GL that add some pretty nice features.

For instance you can use QOS (Quality of service) to proritise certian proticals use of the upload bandwidth (e.g a game or a specific machine)

Edit:

The wrt54G/Wrt54Gl should have no problems handling 20Mbit (although wireless might do depending on distance, number of walls, interference.etc)

Dai
08-06-2008, 00:30
"proritise certian proticals"

Now I know who's been drinking my Jack Daniels..

dragon
08-06-2008, 00:43
"proritise certian proticals"

Now I know who's been drinking my Jack Daniels..

Actually it was tiger... but not enough to get me drunk. :p:
I'm just terrible at spelling.

the end
08-06-2008, 13:33
Hey guys some great advice there. But could some one answer me if wireless is good for online gamming?

shayr1992
08-06-2008, 13:46
I would recommend one of these, D-link DKT-110 (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=886222). I have one and it works great, but I bought this for around £25 some time back from ebuyer, but they've raised the price to £45 now :shocked: . It you don't know what you're doing and don't care about stuff like QOS and other advanced options. It also comes with a wireless adapter, if your pc/laptop doesn't have one in it. If you want the advanced options though, I'd go for the Linksys.

Also, wireless is great for online gaming. Never had a problem, even when I was only on 2mb broadband. If is perfectly fine, though with an Xbox you have to buy the adapter thing. The PS3 and Wii are already equipped though. Mario Kart works great.

Maybe this. Very cheap. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/619685

dragon
08-06-2008, 13:52
I would recommend one of these, D-link DKT-110 (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=886222). I have one and it works great, but I bought this for around £25 some time back from ebuyer, but they've raised the price to £45 now :shocked: . It you don't know what you're doing and don't care about stuff like QOS and other advanced options. It also comes with a wireless adapter, if your pc/laptop doesn't have one in it. If you want the advanced options though, I'd go for the Linksys.

Also, wireless is great for online gaming. Never had a problem, even when I was only on 2mb broadband. If is perfectly fine, though with an Xbox you have to buy the adapter thing. The PS3 and Wii are already equipped though. Mario Kart works great.

Wireless performance can vary, it depends on the network card, Interference, number of obstacles in the transmission path.etc

It's usually ok but it can suffer if there are a lot of other devices around that use the 2.4Ghz frequency

Welshchris
08-06-2008, 14:30
You can only have one cable modem per household account. You cannot legitimately buy a cable modem

But u can hold more than one account per household.

AmAtoL
08-06-2008, 14:31
Hey guys some great advice there. But could some one answer me if wireless is good for online gamming?

Wired struggles with online gaming in certain circumstances, I for one wouldn't put any faith in wireless if it's FPS games you play.

Other people may have had no trouble ......

Just seen Welshchris post, I don't want to drag up the old 2 accounts debate again, but I will anyway, as that could do me just fine if they would do another pull from the cab :)

Stuart
08-06-2008, 20:00
But u can hold more than one account per household.

AFAIK,Officially, you can't unless the household is multiple flats. Unofficially, it depends whether the agent checks.

dragon
09-06-2008, 18:06
You cannot legitimately buy a cable modem

Well technically you can Legitimately buy a cable modem (As there are companies that make and sell cable modems) what you cannot legitimately do is connect a cable modem other than one VM supply to the UK cable network.

You cannot legitimately buy a VM/NTL/Telewest modem though as these remain the property of virgin media.

I know someone who used to use their own Cable Modem with what was then NTL as in the early days (512kps anyone?) they did actually allow you to buy the modem outright and save on your rental. Was working quite well until it got fried by lightning. (was a SB4100 if I remember rightly).