PDA

View Full Version : Torrents Cause My Modem To Restart

fluke9
06-06-2008, 03:33
Hello everyone :D

I'm on Vista (No service pack) and utorrent 1.77 I have the TCP setting patched and am using port forwarding on my router (Belkin), I am on 4 meg, connected via wireless .

I can hit 450-490 k download speeds but, it does not last long, the modem restarts and after a couple of restarts it goes into slow mode, which I assume is VM strangling my bandwidth.

The problem I have is the restart as it does not always let the router reconnect so I have to restart both manually.

Any way round the restarting ??? I am seriously considering Sky, unlimited my butt :rolleyes:

DJ_Price
06-06-2008, 05:07
I've seen quite a few posts reguarding this on here recently. I also get this problem, but while using TVAnts. I was using sopcast as I had the problem with that, then switched to TVAnts, but the problem continued. I reported the problem I was having to virgin, but they just blew me off. I guess they are doing it purposly to annoy the people using p2p & get them off the network. Try setting your transfers as "Forced Encrypted". To do this, go to: preferences, bittorrent Tab, then protocol encryption & set to forced. See if it helps.

fluke9
06-06-2008, 05:25
I've seen quite a few posts reguarding this on here recently. I also get this problem, but while using TVAnts. I was using sopcast as I had the problem with that, then switched to TVAnts, but the problem continued. I reported the problem I was having to virgin, but they just blew me off. I guess they are doing it purposly to annoy the people using p2p & get them off the network. Try setting your transfers as "Forced Encrypted". To do this, go to: preferences, bittorrent Tab, then protocol encryption & set to forced. See if it helps.

Tried that and made no difference, also disabled DHT made no difference.

Funny thing is HTTP or FTP transfer and it will sit at max for ages and not restart the modem, though the slow down still occurs.

ceedee
06-06-2008, 08:33
I'm on Vista (No service pack) and utorrent 1.77 I have the TCP setting patched and am using port forwarding on my router (Belkin), I am on 4 meg, connected via wireless

Don't suppose your Belkin router is this model (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/belkin.php)?

Ian-Highlander
06-06-2008, 12:14
Does it still do it if you connect your PC directly to the modem. Test that before screaming at VM just in case, as it could just as easily be the router causing the issue.

fluke9
06-06-2008, 12:41
Thank you :D

Yes I have that router.
Yes it still does it connected directly via Ethernet, only difference when connected directly is it comes back up to speed a lot quicker, as the router does not throw a hissy fit.

ceedee
06-06-2008, 23:32
Yes I have that router.
Yes it still does it connected directly via Ethernet, only difference when connected directly is it comes back up to speed a lot quicker, as the router does not throw a hissy fit.

Has the firmware update improved things at all?

fluke9
07-06-2008, 04:35
Has the firmware update improved things at all?

Nope no difference, but like I said it does it without the router connected.

ceedee
07-06-2008, 09:36
Nope no difference, but like I said it does it without the router connected.
Ah sorry. Long hard week, and that way only yesterday...

Which cable modem are you using?
Can you get into the config pages and post the power levels?

fluke9
07-06-2008, 14:36
Ah sorry. Long hard week, and that way only yesterday...

Which cable modem are you using?
Can you get into the config pages and post the power levels?

Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.83 dBmv

Downstream SNR : 32.83 dB

Upstream Transmit Power Level : 44.00 dBmv

kingwahwah
07-06-2008, 17:07
My am getting the same problem with Torrents at the very moment. modem restarts every five of minutes.

Started about the time I bought cisco wrt160n. I do not torrent much. will remove as a test later but others saying thats not the problem.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.49 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 34.68 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.00 dBmv

ceedee
07-06-2008, 20:34
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.83 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.83 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 44.00 dBmv

None of those levels look abnormal to me.

Have you tried a different bittorrent client (or reinstall your existing one)?

You're sure you get the same symptoms when your laptop is connected direct to the cable modem?
Might be worth turning everything off and then turning on first the modem (and let it settle for 30 seconds) before connecting the laptop and then turning it on.

If that doesn't work it suggests to me that either VM's modem has a fault or you've a problem with your pc.

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.49 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 34.68 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.00 dBmv

I think your levels are okay but keep an eye on the Upstream power level and if it gets close to 60, you'll need to report it to Tech Support.

Do you still have your old router? Might be worth switching back to it to see if you have the same torrent problems.

kingwahwah
07-06-2008, 21:45
i'll add i'm winnersh. Maybe a local thing.

So far my modem has reboot every five moinutes for three hours.

Marku
08-06-2008, 11:06
Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.16 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.63 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 57.00 dBmv

heres mine.

i got problems with torrent cutting off my internet too.

fluke9
08-06-2008, 20:02
I will give you an example.

Utorrent, DHT Enabled, TCP patched, TCP Optimizer used, Port forwarded, Open DNS servers used.

I start a torrent download and can get nearly max download speed 499K at some points for about 5-8 mins max, then the modem goes thru the restart cycle, the same as when you turn it on.

If I am connected via Ethernet it just restarts again and continues, if connected via router it has a hissy fit, and I have to restart both, but still only 5-8 mins max.

I will, be going over to Sky max soon anyhow £25 a month for 10 meg is a bit steep.

ceedee
08-06-2008, 20:28
If I am connected via Ethernet it just restarts again and continues, if connected via router it has a hissy fit, and I have to restart both, but still only 5-8 mins max.

I'm grasping at straws but I wonder if your modem is overheating?

Maybe one of the VM techs who lurk in the shadows (;)) will have a better clue...

Axegrinder
08-06-2008, 21:05
Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.16 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.63 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 57.00 dBmv

Downstream power is too low, and your upstream power is almost maxing out. ;)

HTH

fluke9
08-06-2008, 21:38
I'm grasping at straws but I wonder if your modem is overheating?

Maybe one of the VM techs who lurk in the shadows (;)) will have a better clue...

It is out in the open in a cool room, I have checked when it shuts down and its cool.

I even had this happen this morning after a 4 hour power cut http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7442424.stm

Rabs
08-06-2008, 22:02
Not sure if youve tried tweaking the values in utorrent.

My settings:

Global maxiumum number of connections - 180
Maximum number of connected peers per torrent - 60
Number of upload slots per torrent - 4

Forced Encryption is enabled

Maxiumum number of active torrents - 5
Maximum number of download torrents - 3

Apart from the signal levels above, the modem might be struggling with the amount of connections it has to make.

Worth a try anyway...

G UK
08-06-2008, 23:23
You wouldnt happen to be using an Ambit 120 modem by any chance?

I had the same problem just after the 10Mb upgrade and it turned out the modem was on the way out.

fluke9
09-06-2008, 00:06
Not sure if youve tried tweaking the values in utorrent.

My settings:

Global maxiumum number of connections - 180
Maximum number of connected peers per torrent - 60
Number of upload slots per torrent - 4

Forced Encryption is enabled

Maxiumum number of active torrents - 5
Maximum number of download torrents - 3

Apart from the signal levels above, the modem might be struggling with the amount of connections it has to make.

Worth a try anyway...

I tried reducing the amount of connection, no difference, just to add this was the same when I was using XP.

You wouldnt happen to be using an Ambit 120 modem by any chance?

I had the same problem just after the 10Mb upgrade and it turned out the modem was on the way out.

I sure have but I have not been upgraded yet.

EDIT: Let me add even if I reduce the speed down to 100K max it still restarts, I have even seen it restart as low as 35K.

Marku
09-06-2008, 12:27
i think im going to sky for the 16mb and its way cheaper.

Rabs
09-06-2008, 14:05
I tried reducing the amount of connection, no difference, just to add this was the same when I was using XP.

I sure have but I have not been upgraded yet.

EDIT: Let me add even if I reduce the speed down to 100K max it still restarts, I have even seen it restart as low as 35K.

Have you been in touch with the support team via the newsgroups for a new modem/engineer? Easiest way to do it rather than the overseas call centre lottery and 'switch your computer off for 30 seconds' brigade.

fluke9
09-06-2008, 14:26
Have you been in touch with the support team via the newsgroups for a new modem/engineer? Easiest way to do it rather than the overseas call centre lottery and 'switch your computer off for 30 seconds' brigade.

Nope.

I am moving to Sky MAX soon, and as for engineers, is that a diploma or just a job title ???
The last one was not even sure how to set up modem without an install disc.

Rabs
09-06-2008, 14:30
Oh well the choice is yours, if your out of contract then cancel away - give the newsgroups a try if your not 100% set on Sky. BTW, why Sky over BEThere?

keef319
09-06-2008, 14:34
Apparently in Windows Vista, Microsoft still enforce and hard-limit (hard coded in tcpip.sys) the maximum simultaneous half-open (incomplete) outbound TCP connection attempts per second that the system can make, as in Windows XP SP2, in order to protect the system from being used by malicious programs, such as viruses and worms, to spread to uninfected computers, or to launch distributed denial of service attack (DDoS). When the limit is hit, in Event Viewer, there will be such an entry:

EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts

Unless Windows XP SP2 which has 10 maximum incomplete concurrent connection attempts limit per second, Windows Vista default limit is based on which edition of Vista users are using. For example, Home Basic has maximum limit of 2, and Vista Ultimate is 25 per second. Normal Windows Vista users should not face any problem or slow network connection with the half-open connections limit. However, heavy P2P (peer-to-peer) applications users such as uTorrent, BitTorrent, BitComet, Azureus, ABC, eMule (eDonkey network), etc, or P2PTV such as TVants, PPLive, PPStream, Sopcast, etc may face some error or slow download and upload speed due to this limit.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/04/09/windows-vista-tcpipsys-connection-limit-patch-for-event-id-4226/

ceedee
09-06-2008, 15:18
[...]

Reading back through the thread, I suspect you're mistaking which parameter needs to be limited -- it's your torrent upload rate that should be reduced to 75-80% of your real upload connection speed.

Select uTorrent's SpeedGuide (under Options) and copy off the "Affected Settings" displayed?
(Graphic of my 'cautious' settings attached for reference.)

fluke9
09-06-2008, 20:09
Here you are.

ceedee
09-06-2008, 21:00
Unless I'm confused by a more recent version of uTorrent, your settings look weird to me. [It's only my opinion, offered as a helpful suggestion and not a slur on your manhood! :)]

You seem to have it set up for 50 simultaneous downloads (at 10kB/s each?) but with only 8 active at any one time (a more reasonable 63kB/s), each can have 500 connections (way to high) but there's a global limit of 100 (probably about right).

And I've always recommended using a port over 4000 (uTorrent recommend one over 10,000) to avoid conflicts with other software and protocols.

It's your choice what settings you reckon work for you but, if you've any doubt, I'd recommend you start with a uTorrent forum mod's suggested settings (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=34259).

fluke9
09-06-2008, 21:50
Manhood :LOL:

Thing is those setting maxed out my connection, this only started when traffic shaping started to show it's ugly head.

But I have reset em tom the recommend to see what happens.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

OK tried recommended settings and the modem reset after 2 mins.

And the download never went above 24K.

Thanks for all the idea's help gents, but Im going over to Sky next month, I have been with VM or should I say NyNeX Cable And Wireless, Virgin Media for 15 years and it all went pear shaped after VM took hold of the reigns.

Oh well the choice is yours, if your out of contract then cancel away - give the newsgroups a try if your not 100% set on Sky. BTW, why Sky over BEThere?

They are going to do me a good deal with Sky+ and MAX so I can't complain.

jamscones
09-06-2008, 22:17
Sorry to butt in with my first post, but I have noticed this exact behaviour over the last few weeks, and am now convinced that VM have in some way updated the modem to reboot in certain circumstances.

Background: NTL/VM user since 2002, same CM (NTL Home 100) all this time, been on 20mbit line for over a year now, with no problems other than the quite obvious traffic management (which is a disgrace considering the line costs £38 quid a month). Also a, *cough* bittorrent user, using utorrent for two years. Before you ask, yes, I know how to set it up, and yes, I know not to saturate my connection. No, I'm not a heavy 24/7 abuser or anything like that. The PC is off all day when I'm in work, and I probably shift about 20gb a week in total.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I turned on my PC on a Sat morning and started downloading a well-seeded torrent. Speed went up to 1.3mbytes/s, which is near top-end for my line usually. A few moments later, the speed dropped off sharply, and the CM rebooted itself. The Windows net connection reset, the torrent reconnected, sped up and bang, same thing again. And again. And again.

So, I did the usual, checked all settings, rebooted PC and CM, and tried again. Same thing each time. Experimenting, I found a "sweet spot" for d/l speed of about 700kbytes/s - if I went above this, the CM would eventually reboot. interestingly, this *only* occurred during torrent activity. If I set off a direct HTTP download, it would quite happily speed up and assuming the uploading host was able to provide a fast enough speed, it would max out and complete with no problems.

I posted my problem over at Cablehell, and was told that my CM was too old for a 20mbit line, despite VM's own "Do you need a new modem?" page telling me I was fine, and having used the 20mbit service just fine for a year. Out of laziness, I left it and worked around it, though the problem was still easily repeatable.

So, fast-forward to Sat just gone, and it's late evening. I missed Dr Who, and it's just turned up on A.N. Other popular tracker. I'd been d/l something else during the evening and hit the cap, and been traffic managed. So, I set the u/l speed down to 10kbytes/s to ensure my connection isn't saturated while I browsed, and let it fly. Get up to 300kbytes/s and the CM reboots. Try again - same thing. Reboot all, and try again: the same result. The new sweet spot was 200kbytes/s.

Here's the point - this rebooting behaviour is *following* the traffic management cap, so it *cannot* be related to the CM's capability or capacity, or that it "isn't suitable" for a 20mbit line.

Again, sorry for the rant, but I've had just about enough of VM. For my money each month, and for the years I've been with them, they treat me like a mug.

whydoIneedatech
09-06-2008, 22:26
Sorry to butt in with my first post, but I have noticed this exact behaviour over the last few weeks, and am now convinced that VM have in some way updated the modem to reboot in certain circumstances.

Background: NTL/VM user since 2002, same CM (NTL Home 100) all this time, been on 20mbit line for over a year now, with no problems other than the quite obvious traffic management (which is a disgrace considering the line costs £38 quid a month). Also a, *cough* bittorrent user, using utorrent for two years. Before you ask, yes, I know how to set it up, and yes, I know not to saturate my connection. No, I'm not a heavy 24/7 abuser or anything like that. The PC is off all day when I'm in work, and I probably shift about 20gb a week in total.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I turned on my PC on a Sat morning and started downloading a well-seeded torrent. Speed went up to 1.3mbytes/s, which is near top-end for my line usually. A few moments later, the speed dropped off sharply, and the CM rebooted itself. The Windows net connection reset, the torrent reconnected, sped up and bang, same thing again. And again. And again.

So, I did the usual, checked all settings, rebooted PC and CM, and tried again. Same thing each time. Experimenting, I found a "sweet spot" for d/l speed of about 700kbytes/s - if I went above this, the CM would eventually reboot. interestingly, this *only* occurred during torrent activity. If I set off a direct HTTP download, it would quite happily speed up and assuming the uploading host was able to provide a fast enough speed, it would max out and complete with no problems.

I posted my problem over at Cablehell, and was told that my CM was too old for a 20mbit line, despite VM's own "Do you need a new modem?" page telling me I was fine, and having used the 20mbit service just fine for a year. Out of laziness, I left it and worked around it, though the problem was still easily repeatable.

So, fast-forward to Sat just gone, and it's late evening. I missed Dr Who, and it's just turned up on A.N. Other popular tracker. I'd been d/l something else during the evening and hit the cap, and been traffic managed. So, I set the u/l speed down to 10kbytes/s to ensure my connection isn't saturated while I browsed, and let it fly. Get up to 300kbytes/s and the CM reboots. Try again - same thing. Reboot all, and try again: the same result. The new sweet spot was 200kbytes/s.

Here's the point - this rebooting behaviour is *following* the traffic management cap, so it *cannot* be related to the CM's capability or capacity, or that it "isn't suitable" for a 20mbit line.

Again, sorry for the rant, but I've had just about enough of VM. For my money each month, and for the years I've been with them, they treat me like a mug.

Phone Tech Support on 151 and take the Broadband Support option and tell them your problem and what modem you have, anything less than a Ambit 200 is not truly capable of 20Mb regardless what you may think, If I took your call then you would get a new modem sent out as a matter of course.

fluke9
09-06-2008, 22:28
Thank you for that, I can download from HTTP max with the only problem being the traffic shaping, at night in the wee hours it will sit at max for hours on a HTTP or FTP if they can provide it as quick as I can pull it off of them.

Glad to see it's not just me then.

jamscones
09-06-2008, 22:37
Phone Tech Support on 151 and take the Broadband Support option and tell them your problem and what modem you have, anything less than a Ambit 200 is not truly capable of 20Mb regardless what you may think

Not having a go at you here, but if it truly isn't capable of a 20mbit line, then could you address why:

a) It's worked fine up until a few weeks ago.
b) The rebooting follows the cap.
c) The rebooting doesn't happen with an HTTP or FTP download.
d) VM's own upgrade page tells me my modem is fine for a 20mbit line

Ninja edit: added d)

G UK
09-06-2008, 22:42
The problem with torrents though is the number of connections they make, the old 120's are not upto the job. Especially if its on the way out.

I had this exact problem and had my modem replaced with a 256. Problem solved, no more reboots.

fluke9
09-06-2008, 22:45
But if I use a patched version of Flashget where I can make 100 seperate connections to a HTTP site it does not make it restart.

fluke9
10-06-2008, 00:19
Here is a snap shot of what takes place, in this pic the upload is set to 10kbs and download top limit is 150kbs, and it's a 5 minute grid.

r00t
10-06-2008, 22:11
Limit the number of connections.
Try 60 or 100 and experiment with the value.

In utorrent you can find these:
Options, preferences, bandwidth, "number of connections"

fluke9
10-06-2008, 22:57
Limit the number of connections.
Try 60 or 100 and experiment with the value.

In utorrent you can find these:
Options, preferences, bandwidth, "number of connections"

Makes no difference.

But after 12.10am this morning I downloaded a 550mb file without a hitch :confused:

Tried it this after noon and not a chance, every 5 mins or so modem shuts down and has to resync :confused: :confused:

So that tells me that some thing is wrong, I had a fan blowing on the modem this afternoon to make sure it was nice and chilled.

I am trying to cover all bases, just makes me glad to be moving soon.

I used to recommend NTL to everyone, now I will make never recommend them.

fluke9
11-06-2008, 01:47
Here is tonights pic of the last almost hour of use, download is set to unlimited and upload to 10K and using the recommended settings for Utorrent.

So work that out ???
That's 2 nights running with no probs after midnight.

Click thumbnail below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/fluke620ti/Car%20Stuff/th_Capture_0050.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/fluke620ti/Car%20Stuff/Capture_0050.jpg)

desktopcarl
11-06-2008, 18:04
Ok guys I have been trying to bottom this out with my modem and router SMC) combo as well, there's too many threads zippign around that carry the hallmarks of dropped connections for it to be entirely the users fault?

Had problems running iPlayer today so I wonder if those P2P streams are causing the same probs?

fluke9
24-06-2008, 12:42
Well here is an interesting development.

Today I tried to download Vista SP1 from the Microsoft site, Using Flashget with 10 split parts, started at 1100-1200 download then the modem restarted, looks like the 10 meg upgrade has caused other problems.

So techy people what is the solution ??? New modem ???

I am considering staying with VM although not fully decided yet.
If I can get the problem fixed I may stay with them.

ceedee
24-06-2008, 15:54
So techy people what is the solution ??? New modem ???
I am considering staying with VM although not fully decided yet.
If I can get the problem fixed I may stay with them.

Given all the tests you've done and the parameters you've adjusted, I'd reckon either your cable modem has an intermittent fault (possibly caused by surge following a power cut, as mentioned by a poster in another CF thread) or something up with your connection that hasn't been apparent from your occasional power readings.

But how you convince someone in VM to let you try a new modem without any empirical evidence, (other than threatening to leave) I don't know...

Best of luck.

desktopcarl
24-06-2008, 17:38
just for info those are the same patterns I am getting with my fault which I am still trying tease out between the modem and my router.

I am assured by more experienced members that it can't be VM rebooting my modem or otherwise affecting it's DHCP lease, but I am increasingly concerned that I am running out of alternatives.

desktopcarl
25-06-2008, 09:47
OK, randomly bittorrent now works with an XP machine plugged direct into the modem without dropping (it didn't work last week). It's a bit slow but I think that's probably down to the torrent I used to test it.

So, I think I have to conclude that my router is fundamentally incapable of dealing with the increased traffic? I have done a firmware update and disabled all it's normal firewall type activity to eliminate that, even tried putting the PC out in the DMZ. Still the same problems of rebooting and getting the modem to go for another DHCP lease after about 5 minutes heavy use.

It's an SMC router that is a new addtion to PC World and at £70 not a bad buy (SMCWBR14S-N2).

I'll post something on the networking forum to this effect.

kev445
25-06-2008, 10:22
It sounds like you are overloading your router with connections. As you are using NAT, your router needs to keep a track of every connection your computer makes onto the internet. As you have patched XP to get around its limits, your computer can now make many thousands of connections onto the internet.

Unfortunately your NAT router only has so much memory, which will determine how many connections it can keep a track of. Although your torrent may only be downloading from say 10 computers, in the background your torrent program will be making constant enquiries for more seeders, your router will keep a track of each connection made for X amount of seconds (the amount of time is determined by the router); the end result is like a snow ball, once the snow ball gets too big your router crashes.

Some routers are more graceful then others, some will just reset and others will just ignore more requests.