PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUSLY thinking of leaving

Zanny
03-06-2008, 21:50
Ive never started one of these threads before about leaving so please dont flame me.

Tonight Ive been thinking of buying a new PC on credit terms, anyways got a sweet barebones system + a nice graphics card and a couple of small extras for 402.00 but im buying on credit for 13.00 a month so need to save money to convince missus that buying new pc isn't gonna break the bank :-/ So cancelled my World of Warcraft account (at least till Lich King comes out ;) ) total saving of 8.99, woot.

And now to get on topic. I'm one of those 20Meg broadband users that signed up for broadband years ago and only has broadband no virgin phone or tv just the broadband. I am currently paying virgin 37.00 a month for my broadband which the first lot of capping i could handle but now with the AM times its just getting stupid. On the other side of the fence is Be. A website i found a while ago claims I'm only 300 metres from my exchange but the pin on google maps points to a house so much confusion there. So I see i can get unlimited Be for 18.00 a month. Plus if i signed up to virgin now i could get phone + XL broadband for about 31 a month with the broadband being about 20.00 a month of the package. So my current 37.00 a month just for the xl broadband means im paying virgin 17.00 a month NOT TO HAVE THEIR *@%%###*% PHONE PACKAGE. This makes me angry. Can anyone give me a remotely good reason not to phone virgin tomorrow morning and cancel my broadband? Plus the save of 19.00 a month plus the 8.99 saved from WoW gives her no excuse not to let me have my new pc :)

WHISTLED
03-06-2008, 21:57
If its cheaper somewhere else no

soup dragon
03-06-2008, 22:14
phone vigin and see if they can cut your price or take out a new deal inc phone etc?:)

Jonathan90
03-06-2008, 22:23
may I ask were you are buying from thinking of getting a new pc on credit also lol

Zanny
03-06-2008, 22:38
In answer to soup dragon, the reason i dont want a new deal inc phone is that i dont want a virgin phone we are perfectly happy with our BT phone package. In answer to Jonathan90 people around these parts swear by http://www.novatech.co.uk/ good prices and good customer service (allegedly) free delivery or pickup if you in portsmouth area.

If by some miricle customer services + retentions or whatever dept can sort it can give me my BB for around 20.00 a month then I'll stay, otherwise its time to try ther asdl megabites. Worse case scenario I'll be back but not until contract expires.

TraxData
03-06-2008, 22:39
I'd go for Be, upto 24mbit download, 2.5mbit upload, no STM crap, they actually looked after their customers as well!

BenMcr
03-06-2008, 22:53
So I see i can get unlimited Be for 18.00 a month. Plus if i signed up to virgin now i could get phone + XL broadband for about 31 a month with the broadband being about 20.00 a month of the package

So my current 37.00 a month just for the xl broadband means im paying virgin 17.00 a month NOT TO HAVE THEIR *@%%###*% PHONE PACKAGE.

be broadband at £18 per month + the required BT phoneline is £28.50

Virgin XL BB for £20 when take with Virgin phoneline is £31 per month

Virgin are not going to give the same deal without you switching to their phone service. So bye-bye to Virgin, (their disconnection period is 30 days)

Zanny
03-06-2008, 22:58
Not quite sure how you have worked things out.

be broadband at £18 per month + the required BT phoneline is £28.50

Virgin XL BB for £20 when take with Virgin phoneline is £31 per month

Im ALREADY paying for a BT line but direct to Bt right now and all this time ive been paying 37.00 for my BB and then my BT line on top of that. As ive said before I do not wish to take out a virgin phoneline. Will Be also be handling my phone services? if so thats fine as long as i can get free weekend/evening calls on landline that is :) for about what I'm currently paying BT.

BenMcr
03-06-2008, 23:01
No, be broadband do not do any phone services. You will need to stick with BT.

I'm not knocking your choice, as you can see I'm with be and they are really good.

I just wish people would compare like for like

Zanny
03-06-2008, 23:05
OK I get your point if i didn't have a phone already I would only save 1.50 against virgin a month but in my scenario of not wanting a virgin phone any saving off the 37.00 is pure saving especially if i can keep my current phone package and not have to mess that about.

soup dragon
03-06-2008, 23:07
cant argue with the recommend for novatech, i am in portsmouth and i use them for almost everything.

BenMcr
03-06-2008, 23:08
in that case then be is your best option to get roughly the same speed as Virgin XL BB

Zanny
03-06-2008, 23:23
Well I'll tackle virgin on my next day off, i very much doubt retentions will do me BB only for 20.00 and yes i'll have the hassle of canceling one and starting another etc but it will be worth it in the end.

Yaesu
03-06-2008, 23:59
In answer to Jonathan90 people around these parts swear by http://www.novatech.co.uk/ good prices and good customer service

I used to use Novatech, untill I received bad customer service.

I now use http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ who are actually cheaper aand are very quick to deliver. ;)

Cheers

Y

BenMcr
04-06-2008, 00:08
Microdirect are based up here. I've never used anyone else, because I've not found anyone cheaper or better (and their warehouse is opposite McVities Biscuit factory. It is what heaven would smell like lol)

Maggy
04-06-2008, 00:12
I've never has any problems with Novatech if only for the fact I can go and knock on the front door.Their online service is good and the only time I had anything go wrong inside the warranty time I got good service with a complete replacement.I've been using them for about 11 years. :)

Sirius
04-06-2008, 06:22
I'd go for Be, upto 24mbit download, 2.5mbit upload, no STM crap, they actually looked after their customers as well!Seconded

Kymmy
04-06-2008, 08:20
Only had one problem with novatech and that is they sent me the wrong M/B after winning it on eBya. Credit to them they sent me the correct one and told me as it was thier mistake I could keep the incorrect one free of charge so I sold that one on eBay and ended up paying £0 for my M/B

Microdirect...gawd I used to use them when they were in that tiny little place up kingsway before they moved behind the MRI and that is before they opened up thier new wharehouse opposite McVities, another couple of good places in the general area are SPOT ON (strangeways) and SCAN (behind Boltons reebok stadium)...pity I now live 150 miles away...

As far as your 20Mb £37 quid you might get a slightly cheaper option but as suggested the best way would be to move your phone to VM as you'd end up paying the same but you'd save your BT line rental....

Kymmy

SydneyHopper
04-06-2008, 12:13
Surely the cheaper option would be to divorce the wife and then load up on gadgets, pizza vouchers and fat broadband pipes.

You would have a better chance of getting a bundle deal with Virgin if you took all your services with them. Then, within reason, you can almost dictate your price.

:)

Wild Oscar
04-06-2008, 15:19
I'd definately keep the BT line .. you have more options that way! .. plus if you have a need further down the line to re-connect it, it will cost you (currently about £120 or so I believe)

If you move everything to VM you will be tied into a 1 year contract don't forget ..

Sirius
04-06-2008, 16:42
Dont forget, With the Virgin,Phorm Spyware on the way the only way to avoid it is via LLU so you really do need to keep that BT line ready.

phoenix__
04-06-2008, 18:32
I used to have 20MB cable at £37 per month, BT phone at £11 per month (or there abouts) and Sky as £16 per month. The sky box developed a fault and Sky wanted to charge me £60 to fix it - so I told them where to stick it.

Looked at Virgin's TV stuff and then noticed that I could actually get a better deal taking out all their stuff. I now have Virgin TV L, Broadband XL and phone M paying £41, and still have the BT line at £11. I saved £16 from sky but pay £4 more to Virgin so I'm still better off.

After what happened last time I don't think I'll trust them with being my main phone provider but it's useful to be able to call customer service for free. Also, as I already had the connection points there was no installation charge (self-install package).

I was also advised by the sales guy that I would be able to take advantage of the £10 off per month for 3 months 'new subscriber' offer but no sign of that on the bill yet (awaiting VM's reply to my letter).

Zanny
04-06-2008, 20:53
updates. Well Virgin screwed my bill and sent me a bill today saying I hadn't paid last month so they were going to charge me double this month + £10 late payment fee, I knew I had paid last month and got bank statement to prove it. Phoned virgin , they sorry billing issue due to changes credited me 10.00 for some weird reason so my next bill is 27.00......

So i started my whole unhappy with service and the price im paying etc and all I got from the sales guy was "why do you want XL anyway just downgrade (err i like fast downloads?!?) " + "oh you'll only get 5.5meg at best if you change to Be where you live and he'll do me 4meg which in my area he says is going to 10meg sometime this month for 22 a month. So I said I'd ring back Saturday and hung up. My next door neighbour + 1 has asdl so im gonna knock her door and see if shes let me conduct a speedtest or 3 on her pc and I'll see what the average is. Shes got AOL ( why! :( ) 8meg so at least it will give me some indication of the asdl2 speeds around here.

On the Pc front its ordered
Barebones system
Case
AM2 6000+ processor
2Gig of Ram
nforce something or another mobo

+ nvidia 9600GSO with 768 Meg of Ram and bit the bullet and bought Vista (I may regret that we shall see)

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Surely the cheaper option would be to divorce the wife and then load up on gadgets, pizza vouchers and fat broadband pipes.

You would have a better chance of getting a bundle deal with Virgin if you took all your services with them. Then, within reason, you can almost dictate your price.

:) got 3 kids as well she'd screw me on the child support or the CSA would so no money for gadgets ;)

Dephormation
05-06-2008, 09:06
Beware getting locked into a new contract if you go to retentions.

IIRC Virgin are very short of money at present so the service is unlikely to improve in the near time.

Zanny
05-06-2008, 15:24
I think my best bet is probably just to cancel virgin and try Be. Worst case scenario they only tie me into a 3 month contract so i can always come crawling back to virgin if the asdl connection is as terrible as virgin man says it is (which he is going to say as he doesnt want to lose my £444 a year business).

Zanny
06-06-2008, 20:35
hmm someone is lying or they are using different techniques for their speed measureing.

Virgin guy "Because of where you live the best speed your gonna get from asdl is 5.5meg"

Anyway i sent an email or 2 to Be and this evening got this reply

"Thank you for your reply.

We checked the phone number provided by you ~@~@~@~@ . The estimated download speed according to the distance from the exchange is 14 megs."

About the only thing to still make me not leave right now is the included and rather handy newsgroups access.

phoenix__
06-06-2008, 21:03
hmm someone is lying or they are using different techniques for their speed measureing.

Virgin guy "Because of where you live the best speed your gonna get from asdl is 5.5meg"

Anyway i sent an email or 2 to Be and this evening got this reply

We checked the phone number provided by you ~@~@~@~@ . The estimated download speed according to the distance from the exchange is 14 megs."

Be provide ASDL2+ whereas virgin just provide ADSL (afaik) so this is why there is a difference. Also, with a comment "Because of where you live" sounds like he didn't actual run a test just did a guestimate - which will never be that accurate.