PDA

View Full Version : Speed capped even though I haven't used my connection?

thetitletrack
02-06-2008, 16:54
Is there any way that I could be traffic-managed by VM if I haven't used my connection? I downloaded Call of Duty 4 about 2 weeks ago from direct2drive, paid my payment, and downloaded as normal at 7pm, until about 2Gb in where my speed went from 485 kbps to 115 kbps until 1.15 am, then picked up again.

I was miffed and came on here to have a look and found out all about STM (thanks a lot to everyone providing advice here).

However ever since then, even when I know I haven't switched on my PC or downloaded anything, I am still seeing my speed capped to 115 kbps as soon as I try to do anything. I have done no browsing for a couple of days and my computer has been off yet I am still capped?

My connection is wired only, and I'm connected to the Renfrew exchange and waiting on my 10Mb upgrade (which was promised by CS for end of April, then May, now June).

Any help or advice is really appreciated guys.

PS: On a side note, what I'm reading about is the most blatant abuse of customers rights and misadvertising I've ever seen. Shame on VM for the way this is now being run.

ceedee
02-06-2008, 23:43
What security have you enabled on your router?
Have you changed the passcode recently?

Can you try a speed test from a computer connecting directly to your cable modem?
(Get a mate to pop round with a laptop?)

leadbelly
03-06-2008, 02:54
hmm

popper
03-06-2008, 05:25
Is there any way that I could be traffic-managed by VM if I haven't used my connection? I downloaded Call of Duty 4 about 2 weeks ago from direct2drive, paid my payment, and downloaded as normal at 7pm, until about 2Gb in where my speed went from 485 kbps to 115 kbps until 1.15 am, then picked up again.

I was miffed and came on here to have a look and found out all about STM (thanks a lot to everyone providing advice here).

However ever since then, even when I know I haven't switched on my PC or downloaded anything, I am still seeing my speed capped to 115 kbps as soon as I try to do anything. I have done no browsing for a couple of days and my computer has been off yet I am still capped?

My connection is wired only, and I'm connected to the Renfrew exchange and waiting on my 10Mb upgrade (which was promised by CS for end of April, then May, now June).

Any help or advice is really appreciated guys.

PS: On a side note, what I'm reading about is the most blatant abuse of customers rights and misadvertising I've ever seen. Shame on VM for the way this is now being run.

yes, its perfectly possible, many of the 20Mbit users were also reporting this constant STM some time ago when they were first put on that package.

so im not suprised if some of the kit has been badly setup and is infact enforcing STM on the 4Mbit constantly, the best way to tell is to check your real UPLOAD rate no matter what your download rates should be, if your STMed your upload rates drop in half the advertised rates.

on your other matter, im suprised customers havent taken VM to county court under a free/cheap small claim about all their contractual abligations VM seem to like breaking, perhaps you might look into this option if your so inclind! (see the bank charges CAG threads for that type of end user small claim information)

thetitletrack
04-06-2008, 02:08
What security have you enabled on your router?
Have you changed the passcode recently?

Can you try a speed test from a computer connecting directly to your cable modem?
(Get a mate to pop round with a laptop?)

Hi,

There is no passcode, I'm just connected to the modem, no router.

Speed currently showing 4Mb at the moment. Seems to have calmed down today but still...

ultimate
04-06-2008, 08:04
If your upload speed has gone down too then you have been stm, if you upload speed is good, then it is just VM being crap.