PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/Panic attacks.

budwieser
31-05-2008, 21:00
Hi All.
Does anyone else here expierience Anxiety/Panic Attacks?
Had these about 8 or 9 years ago and now they`ve come back, i`ve been hyperventilating or overbreathing and i`m getting that feeling of impending doom/something bad`s going to happen where you feel like everything falls from your chest into your feet.
Makes me feel so bad.:mad::(

WHISTLED
31-05-2008, 22:15
Not personally but an ex did - She went agrophobic because of them

homealone
31-05-2008, 22:20
Hi All.
Had these about 8 or 9 years ago and now they`ve come back, i`ve been hyperventilating or overbreathing and i`m getting that feeling of impending doom/something bad`s going to happen where you feel like everything falls from your chest into your feet.

Have you tried the classic 'breathe in to a paper bag' remedy?

http://www.mothernature.com/library/bookshelf/books/47/78.cfm

- I'd get to the doctor & get him to check you over, though ...

Maggy
31-05-2008, 22:26
Hi All.

Has anything in particular triggered these attacks?

I think that all the latest uncertainty reflected in the news in regards credit/mortgage crunching,oil/fuel prices skyrocketing and increasing food prices is making everyone some what antsy.I must confess to having my own feeling of anxiety in recent months due to spiraling costs and less work coming in...:(

WHISTLED
31-05-2008, 22:32
Booze is the answer - I never feel like that, I always have a fuzzy edge on my anxiety.

I've witnssed the attacks though and I know they are 100000 x worse than people realise so you have my sympathy..

RizzyKing
31-05-2008, 22:39
Afraid i have nothing helpful to say to you or give you other then hoping you are able to find a solution that works for you soon and for you to know always some of us on here :).

Enuff
31-05-2008, 22:47
See your GP.

slowcoach
01-06-2008, 01:39
It's probably due to you not closing your mind to what is going on in the economy. Most people appear to be blanking reality in the hope that it will go away.

Reality: From my rear upstairs windows I can see six houses, two are rented out, two are owned by elderly ladies, the other two (until recently) were mortgaged, one family had lived there about 15 years the other family about 5 years, in spite of both families trying to earn more by working nights both have recently had foreclosure notices and both houses are now empty.

To my way of thinking people who are currently anxious are the people who will change their lifestyle and spending habits to help get through the current situation, the people who subconsciously ignore it are the ones likely to end up in a hostel.
So you will be OK.

danielf
01-06-2008, 01:50
It's probably due to you not closing your mind to what is going on in the economy. Most people appear to be blanking reality in the hope that it will go away.

Reality: From my rear upstairs windows I can see six houses, two are rented out, two are owned by elderly ladies, the other two (until recently) were mortgaged, one family had lived there about 15 years the other family about 5 years, in spite of both families trying to earn more by working nights both have recently had foreclosure notices and both houses are now empty.

To my way of thinking people who are currently anxious are the people who will change their lifestyle and spending habits to help get through the current situation, the people who subconsciously ignore it are the ones likely to end up in a hostel.
So you will be OK.

Ermm, someone posts asking for advice on a potentially debilitating medical condition and your answer is 'don't worry: panic is the correct approach to the current housing market'? How on earth does that help the OP?

Enuff
01-06-2008, 02:02
I suffer badly with anxiety and panic attacks, although I havn't had one of those for several months. But when they occure, they do so right out of the blue, and the overwhelming feeling of being trapped in a body that's about to die, is absolutely, terrifying, in fact, terrifying is too weak a word to describe it.

I'm on medication (Sertraline 150mg a day), have been for a couple of years now, they really do help.

slowcoach
01-06-2008, 02:26
Ermm, someone posts asking for advice on a potentially debilitating medical condition and your answer is 'don't worry: panic is the correct approach to the current housing market'? How on earth does that help the OP?
What I said in essence was that people who ignore problems will never solve the problem and as the OP is obviously not ignoring the problem then they have a better chance of solving them.

homealone
01-06-2008, 03:03
What I said in essence was that people who ignore problems will never solve the problem and as the OP is obviously not ignoring the problem then they have a better chance of solving them.

I thought, personally, that you completely failed to engage the thoughts expressed by the OP, I'm putting you on my ignore list rather than expressing how I really feel about what I regard as a very selfish attitude, sorry...

budwieser
01-06-2008, 14:37
Hi All, Thanks for the replies so far, i get so angry with myself for these b****y things.
I think that with all the worry about money, fuel prices and the fact my darlin` grandaughter is off to america on tuesday( 4 and a 1/2 years old) things are just getting on top of me a bit.
The strange thing is though, i`ve started getting the attacks in supermarkets but mainly sainsburys where the ceilings quite low and i can`t see any natural daylight.:(

homealone
01-06-2008, 15:07
Hi All, Thanks for the replies so far, i get so angry with myself for these b****y things.
I think that with all the worry about money, fuel prices and the fact my darlin` grandaughter is off to america on tuesday( 4 and a 1/2 years old) things are just getting on top of me a bit.
The strange thing is though, i`ve started getting the attacks in supermarkets but mainly sainsburys where the ceilings quite low and i can`t see any natural daylight.:(

I really would advise you pop in to see your GP to have a chat about this, it isn't something to get het up with yourself about, that will only make it worse.

- I can imagine why you don't want to go round Sainsburys breathing into a paper bag, though ...

Anonymouse
01-06-2008, 15:12
I had one once on a (very) crowded train...not that there's any other sort these days. I have no idea what set it off; it's not as though I wasn't used to such things. :dozey:

The feeling of helplessness is the worst, because if you can't somehow get a hold of yourself, you end up panicking about panicking, and that can set up a self-reinforcing cycle. You don't know why you're scared, and that scares you, and so on...

The breathe-in-bag technique does work. It works because the increased carbon dioxide levels rebalance the too-high oxygen levels caused by hyperventilation. Once this occurs, your body gradually realises its dissolution is not after all imminent, and it stops overreacting to whatever it reacted to.

Breathing through your nose also helps; do not breathe through your mouth during a panic attack - it'll make things worse.

And don't be angry with yourself, okay? No-one even knows what causes such attacks, so you can't help it. It's not your fault, so you've nothing to be angry about.

Hope that helps.

budwieser
01-06-2008, 15:41
Thanks a lot for all of your comments guys and gals:) I think i`ll pop to the docs and see what he thinks. I don`t really want any long term medication as i don`t like taking pills, i`m a fighter ( scorpio) and i want to beat this by myself if i can.
Thanks again.:tu:

Taf
01-06-2008, 18:10
22 year sufferer here... now on permanent Citalopram (the lowest 10mg dose). Stop, or tail off the meds, and a panic/anxiety attack is hours away.

People think the attacks are caused by panic or anxiety, but they appear out of the blue (even when relaxed and happy) and cause panic and anxiety.

If you have never experienced one, I hope you never do, as they are the most intense sensation many people will ever feel.... and logic goes out the window. It's improbable that you will die from an attack, but you can't convince yourself of that.

I carry paper bags with me everywhere, but if an attack occurs, I will almost certainly forget to use the bag to rebreath.

Maggy
01-06-2008, 18:19
I know it is a common complaint but just how prevalent is the condition.

I looked it up in Wiki but it doesn't say how many may be suffering from this horrible condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack

budwieser
01-06-2008, 18:34
I read that at some point in their lives, 8 out of 10 people will suffer a panic attack/anxiety attack.:(
I`ll try and find a link.

Arthurgray50@blu
01-06-2008, 18:43
Hi Budwieser, if you have suffered Panic attacks / Anxiety attacks, l really feel sorry for you, l had this for two years, and l was told that it is caused by stress, on your body, and this is how your body reacts, my GP suggested drugs to calm youself down, but you can try yourself to get over it, you have focus on something of your possessions, and it worked for me, l was told that if you are stressed at work, this will cause it, so l changed my job, and it worked, l still,get them seomtimes know, but l now know, how to cope with it, but anyone who suffers from it, l feel for you.

Ramrod
01-06-2008, 20:32
Hi All.
Makes me feel so bad.:mad::(Valerian helps some people :)

mouqeet
01-06-2008, 20:35
Hi All.

have you got asma ?

budwieser
02-06-2008, 22:37
have you got asma ?
No, i don`t suffer from asthma, But things are getting a bit much for me lately. Different problems and reasons. ****, i hate feeling like this!:mad:
I beat Cancer once and i will beat this also.:)

Enuff
02-06-2008, 23:12
Valerian helps some people :)She's helped me out on a few occasions. :D

Xaccers
02-06-2008, 23:44
Was talking about this with a friend a couple of nights ago while discussing phobias.
She suffers attacks.
What doesn't help?
Having someone asking what's wrong when you can't breathe.
Having someone hold you making you feel even more claustraphobic/trapped and making breathing harder.
Having someone patronise you saying it will be ok.

What does help?
Having someone hold her hand and talk about anything in general that isn't related to the panic attack, like how their day was, or how they like green apples.

budwieser
03-06-2008, 21:02
;)Was talking about this with a friend a couple of nights ago while discussing phobias.
She suffers attacks.
What doesn't help?
Having someone asking what's wrong when you can't breathe.
Having someone hold you making you feel even more claustraphobic/trapped and making breathing harder.
Having someone patronise you saying it will be ok.

What does help?
Having someone hold her hand and talk about anything in general that isn't related to the panic attack, like how their day was, or how they like green apples.
Very true Xaccers and thats what i`ve started doing, if i start racing around and then get ` That` feeling ijust ask somebody to talk complete ***** to me to take my mind off of it! Thanks, it really helps.:)

Enuff
03-06-2008, 23:04
Thought i'd get together a few helpful sources of info for sufferers and non-sufferers. Although when having a panic attack you feel completely alone, I find it comforting knowing that there are others out there going through the same hell.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/ They have a great forum.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/index.shtml A good all-round web site for everyone.

http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/links/default2.asp A few links from a good site.

Finally, some vids at Youtube panic attacks (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=panic+attacks&search_type=&aq=f) and anxiety disorder (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anxiety%20disorder&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1)

Xaccers
04-06-2008, 01:08
;)
Very true Xaccers and thats what i`ve started doing, if i start racing around and then get ` That` feeling ijust ask somebody to talk complete ***** to me to take my mind off of it! Thanks, it really helps.:)

Just remember it's a condition, not a weakness or failing any more than having a cold or being short sighted is :)