PDA

View Full Version : Comodo firewall update issue

abailey152
31-05-2008, 17:40
Hi. I'm having problems updating Comodo firewall V3. using its built-in updater. I've traced the first problem to a file called cfpupdat.exe. I have connected the same machine to the Orange PAYG dialup network, and I managed to download this file without problems, although very slowly of course.

If I try via Virgin BB, I get to 1.69MB of 1.98MB then the download stalls. This happens on 3 seperate machines, 2 on Vista SP1 32bit and one on WinXP SP3. I've tried connected directly, leaving the firewall off, and I've tried downloading the file using IE, Firefox and Safari as well as via the Comodo updater. The result is the same.

This doesn't appear to be a problem with Comodo's servers, as I could download the cfpupdat.exe file via Orange, and no-one else on their forums is experiencing issues.

BTW, the cfpupdat.exe is the first file it fails on. If I use the copy I downloaded via Orange, I then get a similar issue with the next file.

I used to get this type of problem with the NTL proxy servers, until they were refreshed. However, I was under the impression that Virgin have removed the transparent proxies, so what could be causing this issue?

Thanks

SnoopZ
31-05-2008, 18:02
It hardly ever worked for me using the updater with Vista.

What you have to do is download the full version from their site and uninstall the old version from add/remove programs, then install.

abailey152
31-05-2008, 18:11
Yes, but this issue has nothing to do with Vista, and the previous update worked okay.

It's Virgin not delivering the files properly. The question is why? Do they still use transparent proxies?

****UPDATE****
Managed to find a work-around. In all, 3 files were causing problems. I downloaded these manually using a web-based proxy server. Then the update worked.

Definitely looks like a problem with Virgin BB.

Hugh
31-05-2008, 19:28
I use Comodo Firewall, with Vista 64 Ultimate on VM 4Mb.

Never had any problems using updater, and in fact used it today for v3.0.25.378, which installed and worked fine (after rebooting as recommended).

Good luck on solving your problem.

abailey152
31-05-2008, 21:03
Thanks.

As I said, I've got it to update now, by downloading the files it was failing on, via a web proxy.

I could have just uninstalled, then installed the new Comodo, but I'd have been non the wiser where the problem lay. At least I now know it's definitely with Virgin. I just don't know the exact reason.

It would be nice to know why, just for curiosity.