PDA

View Full Version : slow connection.....phoned technical support......

madpro
30-05-2008, 16:40
I have been having problems with internet connection speeds. it just started this week but so far tuesday all day was really slow, wednesday was fine, yesterday and today are slow. now i'm not just talking about downloads i also mean surfing. for instance on tuesday i hadnt downloaded anything but the web was really slow. it was taking about 1 min to load a page. this was with no downloads running.

called tech support last night and they said they tested my modem and it was all fine, i think they wree trying to suggest it was my pc........anyway i complained about this resolution and they said they would reset some settings at their end and i should reboot my modem and it would be fine. i tried that and if anything it was worse. the first time i rebooted the modem the ready light was flashing constantly. the neat time it was on solid but connection was still slow. when i ping 1 to 2 packets drop everytime.

i was wondering if i was getting throttled would it manifest itself like this?

and if i call tech support back what is the best plan of attack

slowcoach
30-05-2008, 21:03
My guess would be school holidays.

Welshchris
01-06-2008, 03:28
Virgin Media always tend to blame customers pcs rather than themselves, in my opinion if they do this and customers incurr a fee for having their systems checked out and it turns out to be Virgin all along then i believe they should be compesated. I had a woman one day almost in tears because she needed her pc for contact with family members who were backpacing in Australia and she couldnt get a connection and Virgin told her that the Ethernet connection had gone down on her pc, she took her PC to PC World where she bought it from and £50 later they said her pc was ok. she took it home and still no connection so a friend of mine recommended she rang me, and i went there and noticed that the sync light was out on the modem....

Turned out that it was Virgins fault ALL along, they had cut her services off for non payment when they had actually been paid so it was system error and it had cost the customer not only £50 but a lot of stress.

whydoIneedatech
01-06-2008, 12:18
Virgin Media always tend to blame customers pcs rather than themselves, in my opinion if they do this and customers incurr a fee for having their systems checked out and it turns out to be Virgin all along then i believe they should be compesated. I had a woman one day almost in tears because she needed her pc for contact with family members who were backpacing in Australia and she couldnt get a connection and Virgin told her that the Ethernet connection had gone down on her pc, she took her PC to PC World where she bought it from and £50 later they said her pc was ok. she took it home and still no connection so a friend of mine recommended she rang me, and i went there and noticed that the sync light was out on the modem....

Turned out that it was Virgins fault ALL along, they had cut her services off for non payment when they had actually been paid so it was system error and it had cost the customer not only £50 but a lot of stress.

You do get poor agents but that sync light should have been noticed as the tools they have usually show the is no connection, and "what lights are lit on the modem" is usually one of the first questions asked.

At least from to 1st June all calls are free to Technical Support on 151.

madpro
02-06-2008, 09:37
Well I called them back and this time they said my modem was too old for the line and couldnt handle the signal. So they are sending a new one.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issue like this? And will the modem resolve this issue?

Thanks

madpro
12-06-2008, 15:04
Techy support sent me a new modem and my connection is now back to the way it should be.

If anyone is having issues with slow speeds and still have the old 250 modem then that could be the issue

:)

smeagoly1
12-06-2008, 15:24
yup in my cable days, my 20 meg connection wasn't reaching 2 meg.... took several attaempts but one Uk tech guy suddenly noticed VM never upgraded my old surfboard modem, from the old 512k days! But still charged me full wack for 20 meg.
Scientific Atlanta sent out 24 hours later, full 20meg. It was bliss in those days hahaha

But the sad fact is, with the merger, and a great deal of us being older customers, getting the speed upgrades and charged for them, without basic facts like our supplied hardware is not capable, was a shot in the foot.

The majority of older established users speed problems I would have atributed to older supplied Cable Modems. Would have though a simple check on VM's part with the customer before any upgrade would have been a great help.

In their favour, once a tech guy sussed this out, instant, ultra quick replacment and no fobbing me off.