PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Birth Certificate - Very Worried

covlad
28-05-2008, 23:15
I was in My Town Centre today going to a job interview in the afternoon, now i had a job folder in my hand and unfortunately my birth certificate must have fell out because i checked it and it gone

Now i'm worried about possible ID Theft - I don't have any credit cards at all, and the only access to money is via my bank card.

I'm planning to go to the registar office to buy a new 1, now is this is a good idea and should i do more checks i.e. bank police etc

Am i worrying about nothing too?

If anyone has lost their birth certificate like this then reply

mouqeet
28-05-2008, 23:28
I have and they've said lots of people have lost theres and and people who find them are selling em like in bristol somalian people sell them for £1000

have you reported the police

covlad
28-05-2008, 23:41
no - have not reported it to the police is it worth doing? Like i say i'm going to the registar office tomorrow and getting a new one anyway so is it worth worrying about?

As long as my bank accounts are ok i'll feel relieved

joglynne
28-05-2008, 23:56
If you report it to the police it may help your case if the certificate is used by a third party in the future and it's always possible the the police may have had it handed in so it's worth contacting them for that reason alone.

covlad
29-05-2008, 00:25
joglynne, you raise some excellent points however in all honesty i don't want to go through the hassle with the police etc..

I have got a form from the registar office from town which i will complete and hand in, i feel that'll be easier for me.

Like i said before though, as long as my bank accounts are all safe i'm not going to get too concerned

danielf
29-05-2008, 00:35
joglynne, you raise some excellent points however in all honesty i don't want to go through the hassle with the police etc..

I have got a form from the registar office from town which i will complete and hand in, i feel that'll be easier for me.

Like i said before though, as long as my bank accounts are all safe i'm not going to get too concerned

I think Joglynne raises a very valid point. If you become the victim of identity theft in the (near) future, it could help your case immensely if you can point to the fact that you reported the loss of your birth certificate. You can probably report it over the phone. They will give you a crime reference number (and send you a letter with the number).

BTW: Identity theft does not (just) involve people getting into your bank accounts. They can do worse things. Like taking out loans in your name. They would (at the very least) need your address as well though.

Maggy
29-05-2008, 01:11
Did you lose the certificate before or after the interview?

frogstamper
29-05-2008, 03:10
I think Joglynne raises a very valid point. If you become the victim of identity theft in the (near) future, it could help your case immensely if you can point to the fact that you reported the loss of your birth certificate. You can probably report it over the phone. They will give you a crime reference number (and send you a letter with the number).

BTW: Identity theft does not (just) involve people getting into your bank accounts. They can do worse things. Like taking out loans in your name. They would (at the very least) need your address as well though.

I second and third;) what Lynne and Daniel have said, for the sake of a phone call you are saving yourself a hell of a lot of grief should your BC fall into the wrong hands. Imagine this does happen, the police come round to talk to you and ask why you didn't report the loss of an official document with your personal details on it:dozey:. At worse they "might" think somethings fishy and at best you come out of it feeling a wally for not reporting it! Go on covlad, do yourself a favour and make the call.:)

v0id
29-05-2008, 03:38
why would you neeed to take your birth certificate to a job interview? :/

frogstamper
29-05-2008, 03:59

Maybe proof of identity, if he didn't have a passport or drivers license, other than that I don't have a clue, does seem strange though.

Nidge
29-05-2008, 05:27

You have to nowdays, the interviews I've been to needed to see a birth certificate, driving licence etc etc.

WHISTLED
29-05-2008, 08:00
Asylum and Immigration act requires proof of ID from a small list of documents - Massive fines for cmpanies who cannot provide this for employees (last 5ish years)

If your worried about ID fraud register with Equifax (http://www.equifax.com/consumer/products/en_uk)or Experian, its worth most people doing it anyway to be honest.

covlad
29-05-2008, 09:09
Fair enough, many thanks for all the replies but i just have a horrible feeling if i report this to the police. They would most likely have an attitude where they 'wouldn't care' etc...

or am i being too naive?

danielf
29-05-2008, 09:42
Fair enough, many thanks for all the replies but i just have a horrible feeling if i report this to the police. They would most likely have an attitude where they 'wouldn't care' etc...

or am i being too naive?

I don't know if naive is the right word. It's their job to deal with this, and I would expect them to be courteous, polite and professional. If they ask why you find it necessary to report it stolen, just outline the reasons quoted above.

WHISTLED
29-05-2008, 09:55
They will report it as lost that will mean if its found its returned to you - I would like to think they would do that anyway with a birth certificate.

You cant report it stolen as you have no knowledge of a theft taking place.

Saaf_laandon_mo
29-05-2008, 10:52
I'd report it as lost/misplaced to the police, just as you should do if your passport goes missing. The police wont go out on the streets looking for it, but they will make a note of it and provide you with some documeneted evidence that you have reported it lost. This normally helps you if you are a victim of ID theft in the future.

I wouldn't call you naive for not reporting it now, but after everything thats been said on here by other posters, as well as seeing the rise of ID theft in the UK, I would say it would be foolish not to report it now.

KaySquirrel
29-05-2008, 11:03

or am i being too naive?

I understand your point of view, I would feel I might be "wasting police time" reporting a lost birth certificate, too.

But imagine the worst case scenario, your identity is stolen, and THEN when you go to the police, they ask you why you didn't tell them when it was actually lost. :rolleyes: It ALWAYS pays to cover your butt, especially when it's your personal information floating around out there!

Same as all those TV shows where the gun owner claims that the gun was lost/stolen months before it was used to kill someone. You're a lot better off if you can show CSI the police report you made for that lost gun, right? Please for your own sake, do the same thing with your birth certificate and report it as lost to the police. That way you have proof should it ever be used for something illegal!

It might seem a bit of a hassle to do all the paperwork for a lost piece of paper, but rather a little hassle now than a HUGE hassle if the lost birth certificate is found by someone who uses your info for evil.

dev
29-05-2008, 11:09

or am i being too naive?

they probably would come across as not caring as there isn't too much they can do, but as others have said, you would be officially/legally recording the date/time of it going missing so if someone uses illegally or in a way that'll seriously affect you, you have something to show that someone could easily have your birth certificate. You being charged with something and just saying 'i lost it' is no where near as good as 'i lost it and here's my crime reference number and the date/time i reported it lost'.

tweetiepooh
29-05-2008, 11:17
Report it. Simple as that. Cover your bottom just in case and there is the possibility that it can get returned. Maybe it will add to evidence of a known ring operating, the final little piece that could give a great result.

Maggy
29-05-2008, 12:05

I recently had to interview for a supply teachers agency.

I had to provide a cv,a proof of identity,proof that I lived where I do,proof that I have lived there for more than 5 years,proof of a bank account,and provide proof that I was the person named on my qualifications by providing my wedding certificate because my name had changed since I took the qualifications.I also had to point them to someone who had known me for more than 5 years as well as someone else to provide evidence of my teaching abilities.Then I had to pay for a CRB as well.

So I would believe that a birth certificate was required..:)

KaySquirrel
29-05-2008, 13:51
I recently had to interview for a supply teachers agency.

I had to provide a cv,a proof of identity,proof that I lived where I do,proof that I have lived there for more than 5 years,proof of a bank account,and provide proof that I was the person named on my qualifications by providing my wedding certificate because my name had changed since I took the qualifications.I also had to point them to someone who had known me for more than 5 years as well as someone else to provide evidence of my teaching abilities.Then I had to pay for a CRB as well.

So I would believe that a birth certificate was required..:)

So all the stuff I highlighted in blue had nothing to do with the CRB check? Wow! What a pain for you, BUT I am impressed at how much info they need before they let you teach kids. :)

mouqeet
29-05-2008, 13:59
As long as if youve told the police everything will be fine

Maggy
29-05-2008, 16:02
So all the stuff I highlighted in blue had nothing to do with the CRB check? Wow! What a pain for you, BUT I am impressed at how much info they need before they let you teach kids. :)

Ian Huntley saw to that...

covlad
29-05-2008, 18:55
Good Evening all,

I read the majority of responses at work this afternoon which i felt helped me a lot.

Now i have just returned home 10 minutes ago, i have rang West Midlands Police to report it lost. And to my surprise they were extremely helpful. They have my details and will contact me if it does turn up.

Many Thanks for all the help folks

mouqeet
29-05-2008, 21:07
Good Evening all,

I read the majority of responses at work this afternoon which i felt helped me a lot.

Now i have just returned home 10 minutes ago, i have rang West Midlands Police to report it lost. And to my surprise they were extremely helpful. They have my details and will contact me if it does turn up.

Told you Mate ;)

KaySquirrel
29-05-2008, 21:16
Good to hear! :)

frogstamper
30-05-2008, 00:19
Good Evening all,

Good for you mate, now if your front door gets kicked in, and half a dozen coppers come looking for you.....your covered ;)

mouqeet
30-05-2008, 11:13
Good for you mate, now if your front door gets kicked in, and half a dozen coppers come looking for you.....your covered ;)

lol good one ;)

BBKing
02-06-2008, 16:48
somalian people sell them for £1000

More fool them, you can get them for a few quid off the registrar in the place you were born...

We had to get a replacement for my son's one, since we're feckless idiots and managed to lose it in fewer than four years and two house moves. I've lost mine, too, so I'll have to get a replacement before I can get my Irish passport sorted out. I don't recall the replacement procedure being particularly onerous, if you need to get that far.

Maggy
02-06-2008, 20:03
I wouldn't care to try and replace mine..it was issued in the former British colony of Nigeria. :(