PDA

View Full Version : 512KB/s Connection

wanyal
27-05-2008, 19:17
Is it normal to still be on a 512KB a second with Virgin Media?

I ask this because a few years back, we signed up to NTL's 3 for £30 deal, and this is the speed we got then, but i've noticed that Virgin advertise 2MB/s at the lowest.

So, is this a mistake? Is this still what we should be getting?

If it's a mistake, what shall I do about it?

(I'm a 16 year old, with parents who refuse to upgrade)

Help will be appreciated.

Paranoimia
27-05-2008, 19:23
You should get your parents to look into it, because 2MB is the slowest they do now - 2MB, 4MB and 20MB are the options.

The upgrade should be free, so it won't cost any more per month - but you may as well get what you're entitled to.

Enter your postcode here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/) and see what you can get.

If you're already on cable broadband, you may be able to trigger the (free) upgrade here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/index.html). But make sure you check it through with your parents... I'd hate for you to click something which upgrades you to 20MB without realising!

moaningmags
27-05-2008, 21:33
Some people get special deals where they are capped to 512.
Usually people who want to leave as they barely use the net or can't afford it anymore.

xspeedyx
27-05-2008, 22:27
Some people get special deals where they are capped to 512.
Usually people who want to leave as they barely use the net or can't afford it anymore.

Was a very old retentions tool never used anymore

BenMcr
27-05-2008, 23:28
512k was a broadband speed offered by ntl as standard product for a while. If I remember rightly it was when the 3 service bundle with 1Mb BB cost more, so was for those people who only wanted to pay £30

However it is not kind of an orphan as it was never included in any upgrade plan.

Unless you get the account holder to speak to Customer Relations it is going to cost more to upgrade (by £3.01) but then the bundle you are on is going up by £2 anyway from the 1st June (as are all old ntl bundles), so might be a good excuse:

'Phone these people and they can make sure you don't pay more. Oh and they will make our broadband go faster' :D

chickendippers
28-05-2008, 00:00
If you know the account password it's quite easy; I ring up and pretend to be my dad all the time.

BenMcr
28-05-2008, 00:27
Not a good idea now that everything is billed (and detailed on a single bill)

Plus any discount change by customer relations will tie the account into a new 12 months. I would hate to be the son that did that ;)

moaningmags
28-05-2008, 00:28
It may not be offered anymore but it still active on accounts.
I had one this evening.

boroboi
28-05-2008, 01:18
512k.. ouch, i feel for you :(

wanyal
29-05-2008, 16:52
Thanks, after seeing this, Mum will probably be convinced to do something about it. :D

whydoIneedatech
29-05-2008, 17:29
It may not be offered anymore but it still active on accounts.
I had one this evening.

I had 2 last week on both just on 512 using purely for email and paying a lot less than for 2Mb, get your mum to call up as soon as possible because they are throwing money away by having that in a 3 for £30 bundle.

Show her this link http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=11039