PDA

View Full Version : Can Virgin Media Broadband be installed without user CD?

dhallug
23-05-2008, 18:18
When I first installed virgin broadband, I used the CD that came with the package to install it. It goes through the whole process of where it identifies you PC etc. and step by step process.

I am going to format my HDD tomorrow so will I need to use the CD again when reinstalling broadband on the new HDD?

Will I need to enter a PIN number again when installing broadband (I don't actually have those details)?

Kymmy
23-05-2008, 18:21
The initial install registers the modem and possibly your PC's MAC (PC Mac's though these days I don;t think are registered unlike in the distant past) All you have to do is either set your PC to get an auto IP or if you use USB install the drivers, there should be no need to register again.

Kymmy

dhallug
23-05-2008, 18:43
do I need PIN though as according to technical support they are saying I dont need to enter PIN again but some ppl say I do?

do i need username/password though?

bonzoe
23-05-2008, 18:55
just connect to NIC and go, don't recomment using USB

Kymmy
23-05-2008, 18:56
No username/password/PIN as the connection to your modem is already set up...al you need is the connection from PC to modem and that's just simple USB/drivers or NIC/DHCP.

Kymmy

Wild Oscar
23-05-2008, 22:40
In my experience using re-installs of Vista and Linux .. it's all automatic!

In fact I don't recall ever using a CD supplied by Virgin ...

whydoIneedatech
23-05-2008, 22:43
The CD has its uses.

As a coaster.

Kymmy
23-05-2008, 22:48
The CD has its uses.

As a coaster.#

hmmm, and here's me trying to put air-gun pellets throught the centre hole without breaking it :rolleyes:

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
23-05-2008, 22:52
Try a Hairdryer heat it up and shape it into a flower pot.

xspeedyx
25-05-2008, 11:19
I use it to throw at the zombies and pretend I am in shaun of the dead

trevortt
25-05-2008, 11:20
When I first installed virgin broadband, I used the CD that came with the package to install it. It goes through the whole process of where it identifies you PC etc. and step by step process.

I am going to format my HDD tomorrow so will I need to use the CD again when reinstalling broadband on the new HDD?

Will I need to enter a PIN number again when installing broadband (I don't actually have those details)?

All you need to do is connect your modem to your ethernet card if using wires then your good to go, just make sure you install your motherboards ethernet drivers or else it wont work.

Fore wireless, well..install the drivers, and connect simple.

yorkshireborn
26-05-2008, 09:24
i tried to use the cd i was given but it keeps asking for my id and pass but never accepts it when entered so just left it im still getting vm web site and my 20 meg so not messing.