PDA

View Full Version : 20mb business any difference to residential!.

PowerUser
23-05-2008, 09:35
Hi

As title really. I've just been contacted about this, and as I'll be paying the vat as well. I wanted to know if the move to business is really worth the extra, My main reason for wanting it is to avoid the conjested network in the evenings. Even my xbox live suffers now...

NThell
23-05-2008, 09:57
the main difference is the upload bandwidth, so unless ur heavily uploading p2p etc it will make no huge difference, tho if you do require a technician to vist you may get a quicker response, also you will call the business support line for tech support not residential support line.

hope this helps

PowerUser
23-05-2008, 10:06
Food For thought!...As they say!..Thanks.

If the contension ratio really was better and made a difference, Then that would also be a deciding factor.

At the moment my 20Mbit residential is great!. But come 6pm, when I need to start uploading and require a better service without it degrading, then that's when I need the difference.

broadbandbug
23-05-2008, 13:13
Food For thought!...As they say!..Thanks.

If the contension ratio really was better and made a difference, Then that would also be a deciding factor.

At the moment my 20Mbit residential is great!. But come 6pm, when I need to start uploading and require a better service without it degrading, then that's when I need the difference.

Please be aware Business Broadband uses the exact same network as the Residential Product.. All you get is a different Config File.
If you experience congestion during the evening on Residential it will be no better on Business.

The Business Broadband Customers contend with the Residential Customers for the same bandwidth.

You should also be aware that the 20Mb/s Business Product does have STM attached, although it does have about a Gig and a half more volume threshold applied.

Kymmy
23-05-2008, 13:16
Also the 20Mb Business is only 1Mb up compared with 10Mb business/20Mb residential that's 780Kb up, not sure if you'd consider that much of a bonus for the extra costs.

Kymmy

APS
23-05-2008, 15:02
Also the 20Mb Business is only 1Mb up compared with 10Mb business/20Mb residential that's 780Kb up, not sure if you'd consider that much of a bonus for the extra costs.

Especially as you don't get the option of sticky IPs on that speed option. Anyone know if you choose to upgrade for a lower business speed as to whether they remove existing sticky IPs?

APS

Kymmy
23-05-2008, 15:21
Nikki at VM didn't tell me anything about the IP's when she tried to sell me the 20Mb package. Weird though as I'd be paying them 20 quid if I upgrade not only to double my speed but also to probably remove my 5 fixed IP's (Ok sticky IP's) which is one of only two reasons as to why I went onto business BB (the other being the higher upload ratio)

Kymmy

PowerUser
24-05-2008, 09:59
Please be aware Business Broadband uses the exact same network as the Residential Product.. All you get is a different Config File.
If you experience congestion during the evening on Residential it will be no better on Business.

The Business Broadband Customers contend with the Residential Customers for the same bandwidth.

You should also be aware that the 20Mb/s Business Product does have STM attached, although it does have about a Gig and a half more volume threshold applied.

Thanks for info, If that's the scenario then I'm no better of at all going BB..

I'll stick with what I have...

broadbandbug
24-05-2008, 17:18
Nikki at VM didn't tell me anything about the IP's when she tried to sell me the 20Mb package. Weird though as I'd be paying them 20 quid if I upgrade not only to double my speed but also to probably remove my 5 fixed IP's (Ok sticky IP's) which is one of only two reasons as to why I went onto business BB (the other being the higher upload ratio)

Kymmy

Deffo no 'fixed IP' available on the 20Mb/s Tier.. They are only available for the 4 and 10Mb/s Tiers.

Ian-Highlander
24-05-2008, 22:24
Deffo no 'fixed IP' available on the 20Mb/s Tier.. They are only available for the 4 and 10Mb/s Tiers.

Out of curiosity, do you know why?

To be honest the fact they've dropped the promised upload for the 20MB tier and remove the fixed IP's (admittedly done in a crap way and not true "static") are reasons enough for me not to upgrade.

I'm not truly interested in the 20MB download speed although it would be nice occasionally I suppose, but I'm a very limited download user and dont download huge amounts (occasional episode of Battlestar Galactica that's about it) and am more interested in the upload speeds for my mail and web servers, that's why I was happy to "downgrade" my speed when I went from residential to business. When I signed up, I was sold on the product because of the five "static" IPs, the 0800 support line and that the upload would be "increased to 1.5MB by Xmas" and be "a FREE upgrade".

Partly because I'm a lazy git and partly because ADSL in my area is so poor I probably won't bother leaving, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a breach of contract (partially verbal at point of sale as I was mis-sold the product and partly fiscal as I paid extra for my static IPs and if I upgrade to the next tier they force me to lose them, I assume they'd refund my money for those then?). Really unimpressed by Virgin over this, but as I said, lazyness, lack of a decent alternative and the fact it would be a pain in the neck to change everything over and inconvenient for my users will probably see me stay with Virgin reluctantly.