PDA

View Full Version : BB Modem loses Connection With Router Daily, 00-08.30, Last Few Weeks

mrcandu
21-05-2008, 10:14
Hi,
Over the last few weeks my broadband modem loses connection with my Linksys router every night sometime between 00:00 and 08:30.
The orange "PC activity" light remains on constantly and I have to power off/on my modem so it will talk with my router once more.
If I power off/on my router, this does not fix the connection which makes me think its a VM problem.
I phoned support and they stated that it's due to upgrades to the network, firmware upgrades for the modem etc. They do not seem to have any idea when this process will be complete and just suggest I continue to put up with the problem unitil the upgrades are complete.
This is a real PITA as if i'm away from the house for more than a day, I can't access my home PC anymore, which is not really acceptable!

So is anyone else experiencing this problem?, is the VM tech guy right or could my modem just be on it's last legs?

Thanks in advance.
Mat.

MovedGoalPosts
21-05-2008, 11:28
In case it is something being triggerred by the router, have you got the latest firmware on it?

Taf
21-05-2008, 11:28
I just get the "ready" light going off at all times of the day... power on/off sometimes makes it start working again. I've complained on the usenet support page, have been asked for power levels.... then nothing...

Mick Fisher
21-05-2008, 11:58
I just get the "ready" light going off at all times of the day... power on/off sometimes makes it start working again. I've complained on the usenet support page, have been asked for power levels.... then nothing...
Post your levels here then Taf.

mrcandu
21-05-2008, 13:48
In case it is something being triggerred by the router, have you got the latest firmware on it?

I'm using a Linksys router with some DD-WRT firmware that is maybe a year old or so.
I'm gonna try hooking up a different router this evening and depending on what happens I will try playing about with the firmware on my current router.
It has only been a problem the last 3-4 weeks, nothing has changed in my setup and the fact that the problem occurs everynight probably suggests it's VM related.

A$h X
22-05-2008, 15:00
EXACT same problem with me, mrcandu. Even down to the router (I'm running DD-WRT v23 SP2 final on a linksys WRTGSv4). Thing is, I'm not sure it's the router firmware as mine has been running without a hitch for over 2 months.
BUT it could be that as have you tried logging into the router while you are experiencing the connection problems? It takes a stupidly long time to show the setup page, whereas normally it appears straight away.

mrcandu
22-05-2008, 15:34
EXACT same problem with me, mrcandu. Even down to the router (I'm running DD-WRT v23 SP2 final on a linksys WRTGSv4). Thing is, I'm not sure it's the router firmware as mine has been running without a hitch for over 2 months.
BUT it could be that as have you tried logging into the router while you are experiencing the connection problems? It takes a stupidly long time to show the setup page, whereas normally it appears straight away.

I have a WRT54GL and likewise my setup had been working fine for probably 2 or 3 months up until maybe 2-2 weeks ago.
I was using the DD-WRT v23 SP2 firmware up until yesterday evening, now i'm using the most up to date firmware from Linksys (4.30.12)........ Woke up this morning, same problem!
So it seems upgrading or changing the firmware isn't going to sort out this problem.
I seem to maybe recall that logging into the router could be slilghtly slower after the modem has lost communication, but I will check that one out again.... I could be confusing it with some other problem.
As I said, I have 1 other, much older router that i'm going to try out. Will post the results 2morrow!

Cheers,
Mat.

ZeMMaC
06-12-2008, 04:46
I have the same problem, man! It started today!!!
How did u solve this?!

Thanks!

I have a WRT54GL and likewise my setup had been working fine for probably 2 or 3 months up until maybe 2-2 weeks ago.
I was using the DD-WRT v23 SP2 firmware up until yesterday evening, now i'm using the most up to date firmware from Linksys (4.30.12)........ Woke up this morning, same problem!
So it seems upgrading or changing the firmware isn't going to sort out this problem.
I seem to maybe recall that logging into the router could be slilghtly slower after the modem has lost communication, but I will check that one out again.... I could be confusing it with some other problem.
As I said, I have 1 other, much older router that i'm going to try out. Will post the results 2morrow!

Cheers,
Mat.

whydoIneedatech
06-12-2008, 08:27
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raistlin
06-12-2008, 09:29
The common thread here seems to be the firmware on the routers (DD-WRT) - I've got the same firmware, and a similar sounding problem, but I'm not on a VM/NTL connection.

I have come to think that it's possibly a DNS issue, caused by the patches to the name servers following the leaked vulnerabilities in DNS earlier this year. I'm guessing that the increased source port randomisation that those patches bought is somehow screwing with the router's firmware in such a way that it knocks out/locks up the modem's connection to the ISP.

In order to reset my connection I have to reboot the router and flush the local DNS cache.

I haven't got a solution at the moment, but I'm working on one. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to work that well, so I will probably end up running a caching DNS server locally - but even that might not work, because I can't 100% confirm that it's a DNS issue.