PDA

View Full Version : VM stop alt.binaries newsgroups?

DGN
19-05-2008, 20:56
Been with NTL for six years or so, speed integrity has always been an issue but downloading via newsgroups compensated somewhat, now however it seems VM have denied access to alt.binaries newsgroups which I used with Grabit.

I had to change my VM package approx 6 weeks a go, part of this included signing up for another 12 months, VM didn't advise at the time any change towards alt.binaries so I was happy to carry on as "normal"

Now I'm on a sticky wicket, no alt.binaries and stuck with VM for another 10 months - can any news reader beside Grabit give me access to alt.binaries or is that it?

I'd love to jump ship to another ISP but don't want to cough £250 as penalty?

We also have the TV and phone with VM, XL package?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

DocDutch
19-05-2008, 21:05
so go for either giganews or any of the other better newsgroup providers :)

nomadking
19-05-2008, 21:11
Are you sure it's not just the change to News Servers as mentioned here. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33632636-merged-virgin-media-newsgroups-changes.html)

punky
19-05-2008, 21:19
I thought VM nee NTL stopped alt.binaries access years ago. Even if they didn't I can't see rentention and completion being particularly high. And are you sure you want to download alt.binaries from your ISP? Makes it nice and easy for them to work out what you're downloading.

I'd recommend a proper newsgroup server.

DGN
19-05-2008, 21:28
I went through Grabit because it's free, Giganews isn't, also won't my ISP see what's being downloaded through my IP, the high bandwidth will be a give away even if with Giganews?? I downloaded through news.ntlworld.com for 5 years with no problems, until now.

So the answer is to pay for a proper newsgroup then?

How much per month, and what's the best out there?

Thanks to all so far, much appreciated.

TraxData
19-05-2008, 21:29
I went through Grabit because it's free, Giganews isn't, also won't my ISP see what's being downloaded through my IP, the high bandwidth will be a give away even if with Giganews?? I downloaded through news.ntlworld.com for 5 years with no problems, until now.

http://www.giganews.com is the best out there.

200 day retention...around £12/month

Cobbydaler
19-05-2008, 21:33
Are you sure it's not just the change to News Servers as mentioned here. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33632636-merged-virgin-media-newsgroups-changes.html)

The servers have changed as mentioned above...

This is because we have migrated to a new binary news server
news.virginmedia.com The new binary server offers many more groups, allows
unlimited connections and articles are kept for longer. Please create a new
account in your news reader pointing to news.virginmedia.com now.

Sirius
19-05-2008, 21:41
The servers have changed as mentioned above...

Yep logged in and downloading as i type. :)

icsys
19-05-2008, 21:46

Grabit works fine on alt.binaries

Horace
19-05-2008, 22:27

Grabit is a usenet application, Giganews is a usenet server. One connects to the other but both are completely different.
You can use Grabit with any news server, including as you have been, Virgin's.
On the server name in Grabit above your groups list, right click, select server properties and change the server name under Hostname to news.virginmedia.com . Then right click again and refresh grouplist. All the binary groups are there with much better retention and completeness.

Enuff
19-05-2008, 22:50
I use Newsdemon I've found them to be far better than NewsHosting. (I always get downloads at 2.3mbps) and the VM news very rarely kicks in.

Kymmy
19-05-2008, 23:06
http://www.powerusenet.com is what I use. It's a giganews reseller but has a cheaper unlimited 6 streams package for $14.99 with 105 days retention. I can max out my 10Mb connection with it.

Kymmy

homealone
19-05-2008, 23:47
grabit & nzb works best for me with giganews servers

horrorwood
20-05-2008, 08:48
I use http://www.hitnews.eu/english/

3 months costs 13 euro (£10). When you use the coupon code DED32 (expires june 1st). You can even share your account with a friend on it..

I allways max out my 20mbit on them, will be intresting to see if they can cope with 50mbit if we ever get it :)

Also grabit is rubbish, takes FAR too long to decode files. Check out this: http://www.altbinz.net/

zing_deleted
20-05-2008, 09:02
Yep logged in and downloading as i type. :)

and if you do a group search its very interesting to find certain binary groups that were not there before

807 binary groups on the new virgin server

Horace
20-05-2008, 09:48
Probably because Highwinds are providing the feed in Amsterdam, coincidentally the same provider EasyNews use...^_^

Just did a quick check on boneless, the biggest group on both servers, there's 217 million articles on VM and 40 million on EasyNews' Euro server. Make of that what you will.. Seems like an error somewhere and I'm not downloading all those headers to find out.

broadbandbug
20-05-2008, 14:36
So VM have not stopped access to alt.binaries newsgroups then:rolleyes: You just haven't changed your newsgroup server name:D

zing_deleted
20-05-2008, 15:59
Probably because Highwinds are providing the feed in Amsterdam, coincidentally the same provider EasyNews use...^_^

Just did a quick check on boneless, the biggest group on both servers, there's 217 million articles on VM and 40 million on EasyNews' Euro server. Make of that what you will.. Seems like an error somewhere and I'm not downloading all those headers to find out.

easynews nntp server was always crap

Chicken
20-05-2008, 16:51
So VM have not stopped access to alt.binaries newsgroups then:rolleyes: You just haven't changed your newsgroup server name:D

More than that, you need to delete you old accounts and start new ones on news.virginmedia.com as the article numbers are different.

Once done - it works fine (which is quite amazing considering its Highwinds).

soup dragon
20-05-2008, 19:15
I use http://www.hitnews.eu/english/

3 months costs 13 euro (£10). When you use the coupon code DED32 (expires june 1st). You can even share your account with a friend on it..

I allways max out my 20mbit on them, will be intresting to see if they can cope with 50mbit if we ever get it :)

Also grabit is rubbish, takes FAR too long to decode files. Check out this: http://www.altbinz.net/

same as horrorwood, hitnews and altbinz even has ssl for no extra 100+ retention

dr aardvark
21-05-2008, 12:59
yeah they changed the newsgroup server - i have to say the new one is a lot better.

DJ2liveUK
23-05-2008, 11:53
rather than downloading all the headers, I use binsearch.net which enables you to create nzb files for your downloads.

zing_deleted
23-05-2008, 17:49
merlins portal