PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the gardeners

handyman
18-05-2008, 12:27
See Attached.

This is happening to my flat leaf and curly leaf parsley that is growing in my east facing porch. Is it dead or can it be saved. If it is dead is there something to stop this happening with its replacement?

Thanks in advance
hm

danielf
18-05-2008, 12:36
This any use?

For young plants watch out for slugs, I surrounded mine with egg shells this year and that seemed to do the job. You might also want to try a simple beer trap. Other than that parsley is generally pest resistant. There is an unfortunate disease that can effect parsley if you see first brown then white spots destroy all your parsley plant. Htis is a fungus and there is no cure.

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/parsley.htm

It's called septoria leaf spot apparently.

greencreeper
18-05-2008, 15:22
I'd say it looks past it. If it is fungus, I'd sling everything and disinfect, then try again. Or do as I do - buy the dried stuff. Much easier :D

homealone
18-05-2008, 15:58
I'd say it looks past it. If it is fungus, I'd sling everything and disinfect, then try again. Or do as I do - buy the dried stuff. Much easier :D

You do realise he works as a chef, GC ;)

- and dried parsley tastes nothing like fresh - best thing I find are those individual potted herbs the supermarkets sell, stick 'em on a windowsill & cut bits off when required :)

Caff
18-05-2008, 15:59

:tu:

...and get rid of the surrounding compost/soil. Not too sure how to disinfect soil... Jeyes fluid? And maybe plant it in a sunnier spot next time.

greencreeper
18-05-2008, 22:11
To disinfect soil is a little tricky. You need a deep oven tin - swiss roll or roasting. Stick with me here - I've not gone nuts :D Place a quantity of soil in the tin and stick it in the oven for a bit - make sure it's well dried out. Keep everything separate - no point cleaning the soil only to put it in a container that unclean soil has been in.

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-05-2008, 22:22
how old are the leaves? I'd cut it back and repot it if i were you