PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher...rust!

LSainsbury
14-05-2008, 19:14
Evening,

Today we've noticed that the any metal that has been washed in the dishwasher has come out rusty. Just specks of rust that look like they have started eating into the metal.

Knives, forks and a new baking tray...

The only thing that's been in there different in the last few days are the racks from the BBQ.

Any ideas?

Graham M
14-05-2008, 19:44
Maybe rust from the BBQ racks has stained your stuff?

homealone
14-05-2008, 19:59
Interesting if it has only just started happening, even 'stainless' steel can sometimes show flecks of rust if left warm & wet in the washer, but I'd expect that to build up slowly???

Only thing I can think of is to remove the items as soon the cycle is complete & make sure they are dried off.??

Nidge
14-05-2008, 20:43
When I had a dishwasher I used some racks from another supplier, a few weeks later I noticed that rust was appearing on things that I'd washed, I changed the racks back to the ones that I'd used before for the rust to stop.

Osem
15-05-2008, 09:25
Have you added more salt recently as this can cause corrosion problems.

LSainsbury
15-05-2008, 09:42
Only thing I can think of is to remove the items as soon the cycle is complete & make sure they are dried off.??

They are left in there most of time until we get home to empty it...so the hot drying cycle has finished completely...

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Have you added more salt recently as this can cause corrosion problems.

Yes we have - possible, but I've noticed it happening over a week or two now...

Only yesterday it was very noticeable.

homealone
15-05-2008, 09:50
They are left in there most of time until we get home to empty it...so the hot drying cycle has finished completely...

yes, that was my point, the drying cycle involves the metal items spending quite a lot of time in a warm humid atmosphere before they get dry - obviously if you are used to running the washer while you are out for the day that is hard to avoid, but taking them out & drying them immediately after the washing cycle has finished, but before the drying cycle, can help reduce corrosion.

tweetypie/8
15-05-2008, 12:02
Evening,

Today we've noticed that the any metal that has been washed in the dishwasher has come out rusty. Just specks of rust that look like they have started eating into the metal.

Knives, forks and a new baking tray...

The only thing that's been in there different in the last few days are the racks from the BBQ.

Any ideas?

funny,no sign of rust on my hands or arms yet.;)

Saaf_laandon_mo
15-05-2008, 12:24
funny,no sign of rust on my hands or arms yet.;)

Well you're not the terminator so you should be ok.... lol

Angua
15-05-2008, 12:31
Even with the "supposed" all in one tablets I still use Rinse aid & salt (although don't need to top up so often). May be you need more salt or rinse aid as this does help with the drying & stops water droplets being left after the drying cycle is complete.

Wicked_and_Crazy
15-05-2008, 12:34
I've found UK stainless steel doesnt appear to suffer as bad as foreign stainless steel. If if its the same "grade"

Osem
15-05-2008, 13:56
Even with the "supposed" all in one tablets I still use Rinse aid & salt (although don't need to top up so often). May be you need more salt or rinse aid as this does help with the drying & stops water droplets being left after the drying cycle is complete.

Salt can cause corrosion without any obvious external water by attracting moisture from the surrounding air.

Here's more:

http://www.terrific-scientific.co.uk/Topics/Corrosion/Explain/Corrosion-6.htm

Angua
15-05-2008, 14:00
Salt can cause corrosion without any obvious external water by attracting moisture from the surrounding air.

Here's more:

http://www.terrific-scientific.co.uk/Topics/Corrosion/Explain/Corrosion-6.htm

I was only basing my suggestion on the fact that I had a similar problem with kitchen knives which seems to have stopped since I make sure the salt & rinse aid are topped up.

Osem
15-05-2008, 14:35
I was only basing my suggestion on the fact that I had a similar problem with kitchen knives which seems to have stopped since I make sure the salt & rinse aid are topped up.

Well it may well be that the rinse aid you're using has some sort of protective quality which has solved your problem. In any event if it's working for you stick with it :)