PDA

View Full Version : sky+ box question

NEONKNIGHT
14-05-2008, 16:58
Would a sky+ box work with just one cable from the sat dish? Not interested in recording tv or anything just want to use it as 'freeview' seeing as its spare and collecting dust.

Cheers.

the-cable-guy
14-05-2008, 17:20
yes but the PVR/+ features wont work & btw Freeview is DTT not satellite or cable why cant ppl understand that ?

NEONKNIGHT
14-05-2008, 17:31
yes but the PVR/+ features wont work & btw Freeview is DTT not satellite or cable why cant ppl understand that ?

Thank's for the reply. ;) I'm actually giving the box away to someone who's ordinary sky digibox has died. The 'freeview' option I believe is offered by SKY as does VM - I know its not the Freeview that people think of.

BenMcr
14-05-2008, 17:36
The only reason for the second input is for the dual record function, the box itself works fine with only one feed.

the-cable-guy
14-05-2008, 18:22
Thank's for the reply. ;) I'm actually giving the box away to someone who's ordinary sky digibox has died. The 'freeview' option I believe is offered by SKY as does VM - I know its not the Freeview that people think of.

i wasnt trying to have ago, Freeview refers to DTT. on satellite we have free to air (FTA) & free to view (FTV).

NEONKNIGHT
15-05-2008, 15:49
i wasnt trying to have ago, Freeview refers to DTT. on satellite we have free to air (FTA) & free to view (FTV).

No problem :) - thanks once again for your help, its appreciated.;)

the-cable-guy
15-05-2008, 16:08
no worries fella am glad to help :o)

Losttheplot
15-05-2008, 16:44

Freeview is the name of the consortium that provide FTA channels via DTT.
FTA and FTV apply to all three platforms.

the-cable-guy
15-05-2008, 16:52
true but ppl should realise that Freeview is only DTT & not cable &/or satellite.

Losttheplot
15-05-2008, 16:56
true but ppl should realise that Freeview is only DTT & not cable &/or satellite.

Yes but you should realise FTA and FTV are not platform specific and don't just apply to satellite :p:

the-cable-guy
15-05-2008, 17:01
i didnt say that they were i was just saying that on satellite thats what it is called & not Freeview ;)

Losttheplot
15-05-2008, 19:01
i didnt say that they were i was just saying that on satellite thats what it is called & not Freeview ;)

I beg to differ.

Freeview refers to DTT. on satellite we have free to air (FTA) & free to view (FTV).

the-cable-guy
15-05-2008, 19:05
that doesnt mean that i meant that their only on satellite, note how i never said that their only on satellite ;)

beeman
21-05-2008, 20:37

i beg to differ. Freeview(tm) is DTT only however the term "freeview" has been used to refer to "unscrambled" (non rights protected) television LONG before the death of OnDigital (ITV Digital).

the-cable-guy
21-05-2008, 21:45
try using google then Freeview has nowt to do with satellite &/or cable.

beeman
22-05-2008, 00:00
As i said before the TERM freeview has been used for YEARS before the DTT platform started to refer to FREE-TO-VIEW. Freeview(tm) simply trademarked a commonly used phrase. That dosnt stop people using the phrase in the same way as they did before the trademark, it just means they cant use the phrase commercially :)

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 02:00
BS iv been involved in satellite tv for years & its always been known as FTA.

beeman
22-05-2008, 02:19
An example to prove my point. turn to any adult channel shortly before they go live for the night and you will see in their own words "5/10/15minuite FREEVIEW" and they have been doing this scince the before even astra launched their first digital specific sattalite (1d) let along UK DTT

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 13:00
thats nowt to do with being FTA cuz most adult channel 'Freeviews' require that you have a cam & viewing card.

andygrif
23-05-2008, 01:33
As i said before the TERM freeview has been used for YEARS before the DTT platform started to refer to FREE-TO-VIEW. Freeview(tm) simply trademarked a commonly used phrase. That dosnt stop people using the phrase in the same way as they did before the trademark, it just means they cant use the phrase commercially :)

I have to say, I worked for a satellite broadcaster whilst ITV Digital was still around and then before Freeview launched, and I had never heard the phrase 'freeview' used in the context to which you're talking about.

Sure enough, as you went on to say, there were the freeview elements on the adult channels, but that's not the same context you were talking about, so it's a little tenious to use that example IMHO.

the-cable-guy
23-05-2008, 05:00
aye for example if you try to view an adult 'Freeview' on Sky without a viewing card you cant, so its clearly not FTA ;)