PDA

View Full Version : Who Knows? Sam Does

Down the Pub
13-05-2008, 22:05
i'm in the process of cancelling my phone and bb with virgin (tv no probs with so am keeping), now i spoke to cancellations earlier tonight and something said crossed my thought scanner.

the women mentioned to me that, looking at my postcode "my address was 1.94km form the exchange and would only hold upto 5meg".

now call me cynical, but that is almost chapter and verse of the information on samknows. it's almost like they checked it there and then to try and cause me to have a re-think.

but after the issues of the last few weeks it's a bit beyond that now. so they can ring back tomorrow lunchtime and the answer will still be the same even if they come up with a deal.

Noggo
13-05-2008, 22:54
If you have a look at the Samknows website T&C's

`Copyright and use
This website and the information contained within it is protected by copyright. Reproduction of part or all of the website contents in any form is prohibited unless for personal use.'

I know a song about that by Judas Priest :) (I think I might be going up in the loft tomorrow to dust off the old records. The good old days with picture disks. Fingers across my record deck still works, otherwise ebay will have a few more listings).

VM might have access to the same info as samknows or have consent from them may be, I just don't know, may be sam knows :D.

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 22:58
If you have a look at the Samknows website T&C's

`Copyright and use
This website and the information contained within it is protected by copyright. Reproduction of part or all of the website contents in any form is prohibited unless for personal use.'

I know a song about that by Judas Priest :) (I think I might be going up in the loft tomorrow to dust off the old records. The good old days with picture disks. Fingers across my record deck still works, otherwise ebay will have a few more listings).

VM might have access to the same info as samknows or have consent from them may be, I just don't know, may be sam knows :D.

They have their own Tools with every address on them that can receive Broadband or ADSL.

Down the Pub
13-05-2008, 23:14
i know that they may have their own tools or may not. but it was just odd that it was read to me almost exactly as if it had been read from the samknows pages, not saying they did.

Stuart
13-05-2008, 23:16
i know that they may have their own tools or may not. but it was just odd that it was read to me almost exactly as if it had been read from the samknows pages, not saying they did.

They get that information (about line speed anyway) from the same source as Sam Knows: BT's online database.

BenMcr
13-05-2008, 23:36
Considering www.areyouuptospeed.com (a Virgin site) uses info from Samknows.com (for which there will be an agreement), i think it is fine ;)

xspeedyx
14-05-2008, 08:28
I have used sam knows before to check what speeds customers would get

sallycinnamon
14-05-2008, 09:09
I was on the phone to retentions last night, and the fella quoted the samknows website that he was checking my predicted line speed on

smeagoly1
14-05-2008, 10:12
Just used the areyouuptospeed.com link... stange, Virgin when i put a post code in say 5.5meg but once the telephone number is input, down to 2.048meg. Yet my neighbour with same post code gets an average of 5meg on his BT line r/l with a constant ping for gaming. Fastest r/l connection for me was 230kbs and an average of 130kbs.

Used samknows for a few months now, it's very informative and quite uptodate. even the BT exchage updates are updated quite quickly.

southwell
14-05-2008, 10:43
Sam knows said 5.5 for me too, i got 14 with Sky, not that accurate really.... :D

CrowmanUK
14-05-2008, 10:51
Ah but thats 5.5meg for ADSL max, the up to 8meg service, ADSL2+ (I think) is up to 24 meg, your figures are more or less the same as mine and i'm getting around 13.5 meg on BeBroadband.

smeagoly1
14-05-2008, 10:56
haha true. BT's own website tells me the same.
Just wished I could get near the 5meg mark and not 2300kbs average with VM ADSL. My neighbour gets 5meg on his BT upto 8Meg Package.
I think sales, should use the BT and samknows site as a rough reference point before selling people an upto 8meg package. This would save a lot of anamosity and frustration.

So what's so different with different companies using the same exchange, if one gets double the other. In my area there should be triple the ammount of BT customers to non BT using their lines for internet.

CrowmanUK
14-05-2008, 11:02
Smeagoly1, there is a great tip here for improving your adsl speeds, you need to remove the ring wire from the BT mastersocket, it took my connection from 9meg up to 13.5meg so it might be worth you looking into it

http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8152

smeagoly1
14-05-2008, 11:08
CrowmanUk many thanks for that link, something I will def look into this week. :)
Much appreciated :)

BenMcr
14-05-2008, 12:01
http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome This link is now showing BT's ADSL2+ guesstimate for the WBC enabled exchanges

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6Mbps up to 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL WBC broadband line rate of up to 16Mbps.

ceedee
14-05-2008, 12:57
So what's so different with different companies using the same exchange, if one gets double the other.

All ADSL ISP networks run at different speeds -- it's not that uncommon to find a user doubling their connection speed on migrating to another supplier.
I can't find the survey right now (pretty sure it was on ThinkBroadband's site a few weeks ago), that published average (real) speeds by ISP.
VM ADSL was very nearly the slowest...
:rolleyes:

spiderplant
16-05-2008, 08:14
Smeagoly1, there is a great tip here for improving your adsl speeds, you need to remove the ring wire from the BT mastersocket, it took my connection from 9meg up to 13.5meg so it might be worth you looking into it

http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8152

This is fantastic. 10 minutes work has improved my sync speed from 2.6 to 4.2 meg. :tu:

CrowmanUK
16-05-2008, 16:50
Put the cheque in the post mate ;) its probably the best free upgrade you'll ever have, glad to hear it worked for you.

CrowmanUK
19-05-2008, 21:29
Any luck on speeding up your connection Smeagoly?

smeagoly1
20-05-2008, 13:05
Had a good look at the info you kindly posted :) All the lines seem to be A ok.

Going to let my mate who knows the electrical stuff inside out to do the fiddling "ermm i mean the wireing" for me :)

Will keep you posted, if i see any improvments.