PDA

View Full Version : intermitten issue

bagiabanmaybay
10-05-2008, 16:47
Hi everyone,
My internet keeps disconnecting itself after every 30-60 minutes. It occurs everyday specially in the afternoon.
Does anyone know how to solve that problem. Thank in advance.
If it helps, I live in DD2 area in Dundee.

what?
10-05-2008, 16:56
do you know which modem it is you have

next time conn drops open ie and go to 192.168.100.1
(if ntl log in using root and root)

post the signal levels here

(dont post mac address)

also, do any lights on the modem change whent he conn goes down?

if in dundee chances are you ahve a scientific atlanta btw, if thats the case, it will prob be a frequency issues, which can be changed by going to 192.168.100.1/gscan.htm, and changed freq start value too 331000000 or 339000000.

whydoIneedatech
10-05-2008, 23:18
do you know which modem it is you have

next time conn drops open ie and go to 192.168.100.1
(if ntl log in using root and root)

post the signal levels here

(dont post mac address)

also, do any lights on the modem change whent he conn goes down?

if in dundee chances are you ahve a scientific atlanta btw, if thats the case, it will prob be a frequency issues, which can be changed by going to 192.168.100.1/gscan.htm, and changed freq start value too 331000000 or 339000000.

If he is Telewest then he can have one of 5 Motorola modems and one of 4 Webstars and the above only accesses the EPC2100 not the DPX's.

Do not guess ask him to post what modem first.

moaningmags
10-05-2008, 23:50
The browser addy for the dpx100 is 192.168.100.1

gscan.htm for dpx 100 to change frequency
gscan.asp for epc2100 to change frequency

bagiabanmaybay
11-05-2008, 17:44
Thank guys for your help.
That is the signal I obtained.

Downstream Value
Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 40 dB
Power Level 7 dB The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 25800000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 32 dBmV

My moderm is Motorola surfboard 5100. All the lights are normal when the internet disconnected. If i restart moderm and router, i can have internet. Otherwise, it takes like 30mins to 1 hour to connect itself.

what?
11-05-2008, 18:13
have you ever tried it without the router?

direct ethernet connection from modem to comp.
if issue doesnt happen then, then you will know its a router issue.

all the levels are within the range. up power is close to border to worth keepin an eye on that but as long as it stays above 29 should cause any issues.

bagiabanmaybay
11-05-2008, 18:17
I have tried to connect my computer to the router directly, but problem still persists.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

sorry i meant connect to the moderm directly

whydoIneedatech
11-05-2008, 18:25
have you ever tried it without the router?

direct ethernet connection from modem to comp.
if issue doesnt happen then, then you will know its a router issue.

all the levels are within the range. up power is close to border to worth keepin an eye on that but as long as it stays above 29 should cause any issues.

His power levels are perfect the is nothing wrong with them, Upstream power is 34dBmV and nowhere near the upper level of 58dBmV.

I believe you are confusing Upstream with SNR.

My own SB5100 has higher Upstream power levels and is working perfectly.

Downstream power level
Frequency 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB
Power Level -4 dB

Upstream power level
Power Level 50 dBmV

If the problem happens when connected direct to the modem then the PC seems to be the likely culprit.

what?
11-05-2008, 19:05
im talking about the lower power level limit, not the upper limit.
i beleive you are confused yourself.

whydoIneedatech
11-05-2008, 20:13
im talking about the lower power level limit, not the upper limit.
i beleive you are confused yourself.

Power levels on the Downstream on the Knowsley Network are -12 to +12 which is different to Langley and Bromley.

Plus Knowsley modems have no login pages.

All power levels well within operational parameters for the Knowsley Network.

------------------------------------------------
what you actually posted is below.

--------------------------------------------------

You said Up power not down power and anything relating to staying above 29 can only relate to SNR.

You posted it not me, I am just correcting you as I am a Knowsley Tech and know the correct power levels for that Network, so the is nothing to correct me on thank you.;)

I believe possibly you may be an NTL Tech who knows about the Langley and Bromley Network but has little knowledge about the Knowsley Network.

what?
11-05-2008, 20:33
thinking it 29 is snr, but he is actually below the lower threshold for the upstream power level of 35 in hindsight (check your knowledgebase), so this level defo has to be watched.

power for ds is -12 to 12
power for us is 35 to 55

though id doubt this would cause disconnection, it could cause slow speeds, and if dropping further down it could then begin to cause dc issues.

i posted it, so i have corrected both of us.

i am also a tech as well, and i realise my original error... will you realise yours?

whydoIneedatech
11-05-2008, 20:37
thinking it 29 is snr, but he is actually below the lower threshold for the upstream power level of 35 in hindsight (check your knowledgebase), so this level defo has to be watched.

power for ds is -12 to 12
power for us is 35 to 55

though id doubt this would cause disconnection, it could cause slow speeds, and if dropping further down it could then begin to cause dc issues.

i posted it, so i have corrected both of us.

i am also a tech as well, and i realise my original error... will you realise yours?

As it is a Motorola the is no problem with the power level and as I said above if the OP gets kicked off with the modem and router also without router just directly connected to the modem then it will more likely to be a Computer fault, possible failing NIC.

With a Motorola he is more likely to go offline if the power level exceeds 58 many come up in ISA and Redtools with lower power levels but they work fine.

what?
11-05-2008, 20:45
well it could b modem, network or comp issue really.
and power levels for moto modem are same as for webstar.
the upstream parameters are 35 to 55. if you check your knowledgebase that will be confirmed for you. i take it you will have access to the knowledgebase as a tech.

As i said as well, this i doubt will cause dc's but is likely to cause some speed issues, so he is best to speak to tech support to arrange a tech visit.

obv 2 techies diff viewpoints doesnt help the OP much as he wont know whos advice to take so if anyone could confirm the correct info (whether it is mine or whydoineedatechs that would be great)

and jsut to let you know, i am not trying to turn this into a personal battle, just relaying info i believe to be correct and i apologise for my earlier error.
can i ask what you believe to be the lower parameter for upstream power?

whydoIneedatech
11-05-2008, 20:57
well it could b modem, network or comp issue really.
and power levels for moto modem are same as for webstar.
the upstream parameters are 35 to 55. if you check your knowledgebase that will be confirmed for you. i take it you will have access to the knowledgebase as a tech.

As i said as well, this i doubt will cause dc's but is likely to cause some speed issues, so he is best to speak to tech support to arrange a tech visit.

obv 2 techies diff viewpoints doesnt help the OP much as he wont know whos advice to take so if anyone could confirm the correct info (whether it is mine or whydoineedatechs that would be great)

and jsut to let you know, i am not trying to turn this into a personal battle, just relaying info i believe to be correct and i apologise for my earlier error.
can i ask what you believe to be the lower parameter for upstream power?

The webstar power level max is 61 not 58 and the Motorola is happy at the lower end, 35 and less because my modem works fine at the lower end and the higher end, the only time we have issue with power is at the higher end.

;):tu:

bagiabanmaybay
12-05-2008, 20:24
Downstream Value
Power Level 9 dB
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Power Level 55 dBmV

Thanks guy for your help, that was another signer when dropped. According to what you have discussed, problem must be from my computer-_-

whydoIneedatech
12-05-2008, 22:23
Downstream Value
Power Level 9 dB
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Power Level 55 dBmV

Thanks guy for your help, that was another signer when dropped. According to what you have discussed, problem must be from my computer-_-

Your modem is behaving just like my own SB5100, especially the Upstream Power varying from 29dBmV to 55dBmV ( I had a word with my 2nd Line Technicians and they told me that the lower range is OK and only to worry above 58dBmV ) I believe that the fault is with the NIC, which is an easy install and you can buy quite cheaply from your local PC shop.

Hilts
13-05-2008, 06:38
Hi all

I am recently hav ing the same issues. My connection has been sound for the last 7 years, but suddenly as of last week, i started getting dropouts, mainly happening in the evening or when the PC is under immense networking pressure.

Engineer came round and from the data on the modem signal site, my upstream was at 59.5dBmv on a 255 NTL modem (live in the Herts area). We changed all the F's (used to install for NTL myself), the splitter i have and Isolater. He believes the CAB might be at fault, as it is putting out around 47-49dBmv and calculated a .9dBmv loss per 10 metres of cable. The cable trip from cab to my house is about 60m away.

I am running through a router and my NIC is outdated not to say the least.
I shall post my results in a later thread, i'm also going to bypass the router and run direct, and also check via my onboard NIC if the results are different. Finally to outrule any cable defectiveness, i shall run a patch lead from the Omni box outside straight to my router and see if i get varying results. The modem is only 4 months old and should not really present any issues.

With the changes made yesterday, my upstream level is around 53.5dBmv (after removing the splitter) now which SHOULD be ok, however, i was still getting dropouts last night and find it quite frustrating when gaming. Just to confirm, i also tested this with the modem on and PC off and still got dropouts in the evening.

The engineer reported a lot of modem faults lately and suspects either heat issues or a major networking issue affect either a MAC address range or certains CABS or proxy locations?

I'll keep you posted, but would like some feedback once i post results found from my modem.

Many thanks

Hilts
13-05-2008, 09:51
OK all- did some tests this morning at around 9.15-9.45 am

the results are:

CURRENT SETUP with ROUTER(nothing changed)
Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 3.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1014
Hardware Version : 1.19

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 43.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 53.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

WITHOUT ROUTER without USING PATCH CABLE direct to OMNI
Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.0 dBmV

WITHOUT ROUTER with USING PATCH CABLE
Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.5 dBmV

ROUTER using ON BOARD NIC(regular setup)
Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream transmit Power Level : 53.5 dBmV

SPEED TEST on latest configuration:
Tue, 13 May 2008 08:43:05 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 453 ms = 2260.5 KB/sec, approx 18627 Kbps, 18.19 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 454 ms = 2255.5 KB/sec, approx 18585 Kbps, 18.15 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 437 ms = 2343.2 KB/sec, approx 19308 Kbps, 18.86 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 828 ms = 2473.4 KB/sec, approx 20381 Kbps, 19.9 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 19225 Kbps, 18.77 Mbps

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 09:57
Hi all

I am recently hav ing the same issues. My connection has been sound for the last 7 years, but suddenly as of last week, i started getting dropouts, mainly happening in the evening or when the PC is under immense networking pressure.

Engineer came round and from the data on the modem signal site, my upstream was at 59.5dBmv on a 255 NTL modem (live in the Herts area). We changed all the F's (used to install for NTL myself), the splitter i have and Isolater. He believes the CAB might be at fault, as it is putting out around 47-49dBmv and calculated a .9dBmv loss per 10 metres of cable. The cable trip from cab to my house is about 60m away.

I am running through a router and my NIC is outdated not to say the least.
I shall post my results in a later thread, i'm also going to bypass the router and run direct, and also check via my onboard NIC if the results are different. Finally to outrule any cable defectiveness, i shall run a patch lead from the Omni box outside straight to my router and see if i get varying results. The modem is only 4 months old and should not really present any issues.

With the changes made yesterday, my upstream level is around 53.5dBmv (after removing the splitter) now which SHOULD be ok, however, i was still getting dropouts last night and find it quite frustrating when gaming. Just to confirm, i also tested this with the modem on and PC off and still got dropouts in the evening.

The engineer reported a lot of modem faults lately and suspects either heat issues or a major networking issue affect either a MAC address range or certains CABS or proxy locations?

I'll keep you posted, but would like some feedback once i post results found from my modem.

Many thanks

Why not treat your computer to a nice new NIC try Ebay around a Fiver including postage or your local Computer shop.

Also replace your Ethernet cables I believe PC World have a pack of Two Belkin CAT5E cables for £4.99.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

OK all- did some tests this morning at around 9.15-9.45 am

the results are:

Cable Modem Information

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 53.0 dBmV

WITHOUT ROUTER without USING PATCH CABLE direct to OMNI
Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.0 dBmV

WITHOUT ROUTER with USING PATCH CABLE
Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.5 dBmV

ROUTER using ON BOARD NIC(regular setup)
Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream transmit Power Level : 53.5 dBmV

SPEED TEST on latest configuration:
Tue, 13 May 2008 08:43:05 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 453 ms = 2260.5 KB/sec, approx 18627 Kbps, 18.19 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 454 ms = 2255.5 KB/sec, approx 18585 Kbps, 18.15 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 437 ms = 2343.2 KB/sec, approx 19308 Kbps, 18.86 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 828 ms = 2473.4 KB/sec, approx 20381 Kbps, 19.9 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 19225 Kbps, 18.77 Mbps

I will check the power levels later in work, I am not 100% up on the NTL side its fairly new to us Telewest Techs.

Hilts
13-05-2008, 09:57
Why not treat your computer to a nice new NIC try Ebay around a Fiver including postage or your local Computer shop.

Also replace your Ethernet cables I believe PC World have a pack of Two Belkin CAT5E cables for £4.99.

The onboard NIC has never been used before, and the mobo is only 6 months old, it's an ASUS with 2x1GB lan ports, i always liked using the 3rd party NIC as i feel using onboard stuff can cause a lot of problems. I've also used a new patch cable from the router to the PC and shall run it tonight.

It's mainly when i'm gaming i'm getting issues or around peak periods i.e sundays or evenings.
Failing that i shall buy a new NIC because as you say thet are peanuts !

Many thanks for looking into this, i live in Herts in the SG1 Area if that helps.

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 11:12
Cable Modem Information

Your Downstream power level is too high, you are QAM256, the correct levels are below for both Bromley and Langley, I presume you know which platform your on.
As you know NTL say if its not broken don't fix it.

Bromley (exCable & Wireless) Downstream power levels +6dB to +8 (QAM 64) +2.5 to +5.5 (QAM256)

Langley (NTL area) Downstream power levels -2.5dB to +2.5 (QAM 64) -1.5 to +2.5 (QAM256)

Hilts
13-05-2008, 15:49
Thanks for this...

I am running a 6db attenuator, otherwise it shoots up to over 12db !!!

Sorry i am not sure which one i should be on..presume it should be Langley but it has been like this for years and not given me any probs untill now but i have put another 3db attenuator on and got this reading:
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 43.3 dB

I had RG11 cable installed and fitted myself about 5 year ago from the cab to my Omni box

I'll see what it is like tonight on my onboard NIC and await NTL's report on the cab.

Appreciate you looking into this for me.

whydoIneedatech
13-05-2008, 16:18
Thanks for this...

I am running a 6db attenuator, otherwise it shoots up to over 12db !!!

Sorry i am not sure which one i should be on..presume it should be Langley but it has been like this for years and not given me any probs untill now but i have put another 3db attenuator on and got this reading:
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 43.3 dB

I had RG11 cable installed and fitted myself about 5 year ago from the cab to my Omni box

I'll see what it is like tonight on my onboard NIC and await NTL's report on the cab.

Appreciate you looking into this for me.

Post the region code from your bill I can find out from that what Platform you are on.

Hilts
13-05-2008, 17:13
Post the region code from your bill I can find out from that what Platform you are on.

Area reference is 24 according to the bill.

Sorry thats all i can give you as i only have the bill header

Hilts
14-05-2008, 01:24
Latest update

After changing the network cable from router to pc, adding another 3db forward path attenuator and running on PC mobo onboard NIC, not one single drop out tonight.

Kinda hard to determine out of the 3 (guess i cold use process of elimination to determine exact fault), but i'm guesssing it's the NIC card that has given up the ghost. Then again after what 'Whydoineedatech' mentioned about the downstream power levels, it could be that.

I've acquired a brand new Intel Pro10/100 TX NIC from work and shall try that out.

I'll keep you posted, but if you could get back to me on what setup i'm on depending upon area code from my bill, i'd really appreciate that, and thanks for all your good advice. It would appear the issue is h/ware related or signal strengh...

whydoIneedatech
14-05-2008, 07:02
Latest update

After changing the network cable from router to pc, adding another 3db forward path attenuator and running on PC mobo onboard NIC, not one single drop out tonight.

Kinda hard to determine out of the 3 (guess i cold use process of elimination to determine exact fault), but i'm guesssing it's the NIC card that has given up the ghost. Then again after what 'Whydoineedatech' mentioned about the downstream power levels, it could be that.

I've acquired a brand new Intel Pro10/100 TX NIC from work and shall try that out.

I'll keep you posted, but if you could get back to me on what setup i'm on depending upon area code from my bill, i'd really appreciate that, and thanks for all your good advice. It would appear the issue is h/ware related or signal strengh...

Send me a PM with your MAC address from your modem and I will send you the details back by midday today.

All the area code does is tell me what company originally ran your area.

Hilts
14-05-2008, 20:39
Been playing up a little bit tonight with high ping levels to game servers, went out for an hour, came back and got this reading on upstream:

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 47.0 dBmV

This is with the onboard NIC and new patch cable to the PC

whydoIneedatech
14-05-2008, 22:47
Been playing up a little bit tonight with high ping levels to game servers, went out for an hour, came back and got this reading on upstream:

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 47.0 dBmV

This is with the onboard NIC and new patch cable to the PC

The Upstream power level looks fine, try this link below.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb...timisation.php (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php)

The Optimiser is pretty good.

Hilts
14-05-2008, 23:04
Thanks mate, i alerady use that but shall check it out incase somehting is amok.

whydoIneedatech
14-05-2008, 23:05
Thanks mate, i alerady use that but shall check it out incase somehting is amok.

Does your connection seem any different with the new NIC?

Hilts
14-05-2008, 23:56
Slightly faster, but then again that could be me just over-enhancing the fact that it seems more stable again. That sudden drop in upstream power has surpised me a bit, so not sure if networks are working on it or not.