PDA

View Full Version : Ntl Modem Problem

jeremy78210
07-05-2008, 16:05
I have been having this problem for about 3 years & it only happens when the weather is hot!! My internet connection goes down & the ready light on the modem slowly flashes on & off, sometimes I have been able to restore it by plugging in & pulling out a usb cable otherwise it can stay off until the weather cools down. I have moved the modem & wireless router to a cooler room but it has started again. The modem I am using is an NTL 250 but have had the same problem with previous modems. Many thanks for any help.. Jem

whydoIneedatech
07-05-2008, 19:37
I have been having this problem for about 3 years & it only happens when the weather is hot!! My internet connection goes down & the ready light on the modem slowly flashes on & off, sometimes I have been able to restore it by plugging in & pulling out a usb cable otherwise it can stay off until the weather cools down. I have moved the modem & wireless router to a cooler room but it has started again. The modem I am using is an NTL 250 but have had the same problem with previous modems. Many thanks for any help.. Jem

Are you definitely using USB because that uses electrical current and could be part of your problem, you would be better using Ethernet as it uses no power and give a better connection to the Internet.

piggy
07-05-2008, 19:41

check your modem pwr levels the amps in the street have a habit of going low in hot weather so if your modem is on the max it will drop off in hot weather when the amps go low

whydoIneedatech
07-05-2008, 19:56
To check your power levels open Internet Explorer and put the following into the address bar http://192.168.100.1/ username is root password is root.
Take screenshot of your power levels and post here.

Do not post your modem MAC address.

jeremy78210
08-05-2008, 08:26
Thanks All, I am using ethernet but sometimes it comes back on when I plug in a usb.

Power levels and other technical stuff below:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 7.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 42.1 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

piggy
08-05-2008, 08:36
your upstream is borderline acepptable so i would get a tech out to check your levels and explain your symptoms .....another thing make sure your power supply to the modem is not overheating, as this can also cause intermittent problems

jeremy78210
08-05-2008, 15:28
Thanks Piggy, that may be the answer as soon as it started getting warm it dropped right down to 4.0 so I connected it to another cable connection in the house & its now up to 9.0!!! Bloomin eck 3 years I have been having this problem!!! Thanks again, well pleased :-) Jem