PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] 100mbps for Bournemouth

Pages : [1] 2

Tightscot
07-05-2008, 13:55
speedy sewer service... Linkage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7387836.stm)

xspeedyx
07-05-2008, 14:54
I am moving to bournemouth

Graham M
07-05-2008, 15:07
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33627521-merged-100mbps-alternative-to-virgin.html

notice the date of the first post ;)

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

I am moving to bournemouth

Nooooooo! :)

xspeedyx
07-05-2008, 15:12
---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Nooooooo! :)[/QUOTE]

I want a 100Mb

Graham M
07-05-2008, 15:14
Go to Sweden/Japan instead then :p:

TraxData
07-05-2008, 15:20
Go to Sweden/Japan instead then :p:

France is closer and with 100mbit symetrical :p:

Unless this is 100mbit symetrical or 100mbit/10mbit then i dont really see the point.

xspeedyx
07-05-2008, 15:27
stay with vm and u'll get 5Mbps lol

saabmania2
07-05-2008, 19:18
i did note in the link it states that (virgin media is upgrading it's whole network to 50meg by the end of the year) does that mean we will all get a free upgrade or does that mean virgin are going to spend some money at long last hmmmm either way i feel a laughing fit coming on rofl!!!!!:D:D

Callumpy
07-05-2008, 19:21
woah, i want 100Mbps internet, wonder how much it going to cost

xspeedyx
07-05-2008, 20:19
due to it been in the in place it will be it shouldnt be that much as fibre is that expensive and very tuff

NeilH
07-05-2008, 21:32
Never ceases to amaze me this great country of ours..

We invented the damn telephone and have one of the slowest internet systems in the world.

To many greedy companies just interested in PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT. It will be their downfall one day soon. Another thing !!!! What would you do if you suddenly get 100 megs bandwidth ? lol. Unless you are a heavy downloader of progs etc, then it aint no use and then on the other hand, virgin will be monitoring you anyways.. Catch 66.

Neil

Druchii
08-05-2008, 00:02

We invented the damn telephone and have one of the slowest internet systems in the world.

To many greedy companies just interested in PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT. It will be their downfall one day soon. Another thing !!!! What would you do if you suddenly get 100 megs bandwidth ? lol. Unless you are a heavy downloader of progs etc, then it aint no use and then on the other hand, virgin will be monitoring you anyways.. Catch 66.

Neil
I'd find ways to waste it, trust me :p:
I'm thinking Tor relays galore with that sort of speed (As long as the upload is good).

100Mb/s should be low latency as well, ideal for gamers, which is the reason South Korea is so wired.

Graham M
08-05-2008, 00:12
100Mb/s should be low latency as well, ideal for gamers, which is the reason South Korea is so wired.
It should be, but like all things networking, that's in no way a guarantee.

Druchii
08-05-2008, 00:20
It should be, but like all things networking, that's in no way a guarantee.
Very, very true.

At least if they are offering 100Mbps to everyone the backbone will be massive, hopefully. Should mean people get decent speeds, no matter what (Well, above 1/5th of the 100Mbps is decent for the UK).

windy
08-05-2008, 12:55
Bring it on i say and if they want people to trial it iam quit happy to volunteer.:D

geminian68
08-05-2008, 18:36

But were we really the first to invent it ;)

Antonio Meucci (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Meucci)

The United States House of Representatives in its resolutions HRES 269 IH dated October 17th 2001 and HRES 269 EH dated June 11th 2002 resolved that the life and achievements of Antonio Meucci should be recognized, and his work in the invention of the telephone should be acknowledged . This resolution noted that "if Meucci had been able to pay the $10 fee to maintain the caveat after 1874, no patent could have been issued to Bell"I would imagine they will charge a price to compete against VM's 50mb when it's finally available :)

mr_bo
08-05-2008, 18:53
:) Bet my house won't get it :)

slowcoach
08-05-2008, 20:48
:) Bet my house won't get it :)
Check to see if there is a grid in the gutter outside your house. :D

Smilie
09-05-2008, 19:18
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33627521-merged-100mbps-alternative-to-virgin.html

notice the date of the first post ;)

that post says its £60 for 25Mbps ouch

hope im part of the 88,000 homes that getting it
and that aint the price when it does arrive

the-cable-guy
11-05-2008, 00:00
stay with vm and u'll get 5Mbps lol

& dont you know it lol

Callumpy
11-05-2008, 08:39
that post says its £60 for 25Mbps ouch

hope im part of the 88,000 homes that getting it
and that aint the price when it does arrive

:eek:

PeteTheMusicGuy
12-05-2008, 15:07
Wish we could have 100meg Here. I would find ways to use that :D

squirrel1970
14-05-2008, 21:25
Well, if you think it's bad now, just wait until it really does get all... s****y!!!1!!!:LOL:

TerryTibbs
22-05-2008, 00:27
What i find comical is VM are upgrading to 50mb downstream....and exactly what are they goin to do with there upstream, most likely the same as what happened when they upgraded to 20mb....give us an extra 40kb/s LOL......The chances of gettin a true 100mb or even 50mb connection is ZILCH!! :(

Druchii
22-05-2008, 16:31
Just got in from work, there was a case at one of our sites today, the internet connection was slow... Tested, got 6,5MB/s throughput (Thats about 52Mbps).

Talk about greedy ;)
Uploads were peaking at 30Mbps.

TraxData
04-06-2008, 15:36
I've just found out this is going to be symetrical aka 100mbit download and upload.

I'm moving to bournemouth :P

Ben B
04-06-2008, 18:44
Want free internet from the sewers? Get Google TiSP lol :D http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

Jonathan90
05-06-2008, 02:53
Dang TraxData moving about aren't we btw pm me email again i have 3 .....

Horizon
23-06-2008, 10:13
Dundee to get the 100mb treatment too. Lucky them.

http://www.fibrecity.eu/latest-news.htm

Graham M
23-06-2008, 10:14
I'm moving to bournemouth :P

Please don't, it's nice and quiet here! :p: :D

Horizon
23-06-2008, 10:43
....well, he could move to Dundee now as well. Although the weather ain't as nice up there.

I suspect that once a few cities have been fibred up using the sewers, then everyone will be doing it and things will "crank" up gear significantly.

I doubt (although don't know for sure), that H20 will deal will residential customers direct, as they seem to be concentrating on business customers. Once they've signed a business contract in a city this lays the foundation for them to fibre up that city for all.

I suspect H20 will lease their cables out to Sky/BT et all as I've not seen H20 make any deals with stb and modem manufacturers or do deals with broadcasters and film studios.

TraxData
23-06-2008, 20:29
Anyone else noticed H2o have now updated things and there is 6-10 more places getting this? :D

Horizon
23-06-2008, 21:58
...er, no. Where does it say that? On their site it only mentions Bournemouth and Dundee.

Please do tell if you know of more cities getting this.

TraxData
23-06-2008, 22:22
...er, no. Where does it say that? On their site it only mentions Bournemouth and Dundee.

Please do tell if you know of more cities getting this.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news/h2o-six-to-ten-towns-and-cities-due-to-follow-dundee-and-bournemouth-with-sewer-fibre-380.html

Horizon
23-06-2008, 23:09
Thanks for the link.

Completely unaware of that. The news item confirms my statement that h2o will lease their networks to other companies for consumer services.

Although other cities haven't been announced yet apart from one other, that article did say that more are on the way. Sheffield is being fibred up now and a company called Ask4 will lease h20 fibres and pump symmetrical broadband and IPTV down the wires. Very nice.

When I said things will crank up significantly, I didn't realise it would be this quick.

Now let the real competition in fast broadband and tv begin.

TraxData
23-06-2008, 23:11
Thanks for the link.

Completely unaware of that. The news item confirms my statement that h2o will lease their networks to other companies for consumer services.

Although other cities haven't been announced yet apart from one other, that article did say that more are on the way. Sheffield is being fibred up now and a company called Ask4 will lease h20 fibres and pump symmetrical broadband and IPTV down the wires. Very nice.

When I said things will crank up significantly, I didn't realise it would be this quick.

Now let the real competition in fast broadband and tv begin.

I'm currently with Ask4 In sheffield (25/25), luckily as far as i'm aware they are working with H2o to put fiber throughout other parts of the city instead of small areas, this could prove interesting.

Your welcome, btw :)

Official announcement from H2o as per what other area's will be getting FTTH is in a month, i believe.

Quite a few big cities, from what i know ;)

Horizon
23-06-2008, 23:13
London???? please, pretty please:)

TraxData
23-06-2008, 23:36
you'll have to wait and see :p::angel:

Takes 12-24months to do a fully city rollout anyway so you have to hope your in an area where the rollout starts ;)

Horizon
23-06-2008, 23:45
25/25 makes me feel very envious.:)

I'm patient to wait - not that I have a choice in the matter, unless I move.:)

TraxData
23-06-2008, 23:47
I can usually reach 50/50 quite easily as they give you any free bandwith on the site :)

Much better than anything VM could provide.

No STM, No Application Throttling etc either ;)

Yes, move down south to get it now ;)

Horizon
24-06-2008, 00:01
I am really feeling very depressed and jealous, where's that tub of Hagan daaz ice cream.:)

It basically makes Vm's future 50mb offering look pitiful.

TraxData
24-06-2008, 00:25
Pass us some ice cream and i might let you come down to have a play with my fast connection :-p

VM's offering is pitterful!!!

colin-bennett
24-06-2008, 01:02
I can usually reach 50/50 quite easily as they give you any free bandwith on the site :)

Much better than anything VM could provide.

No STM, No Application Throttling etc either ;)

Yes, move down south to get it now ;)

This is from ask4 terms and conditions

.1.12 allow Ask4 to carry out port scanning traffic shaping traffic monitoring and such other measures as ask4 may determine from time to time to ensure optimum performance of the Service for all or a majority of users.

You seem not to know your own terms and conditions with
ask4 ?????????????????????

TraxData
24-06-2008, 01:04
This is from ask4 terms and conditions

.1.12 allow Ask4 to carry out port scanning traffic shaping traffic monitoring and such other measures as ask4 may determine from time to time to ensure optimum performance of the Service for all or a majority of users.

You seem not to know your own terms and conditions with
ask4 ?????????????????????

I know the terms and conditions and i know to which that relates to, its not shaping, trust me :)

colin-bennett
24-06-2008, 01:07
I know the terms and conditions and i know to which that relates to, its not shaping, trust me :)
It says "traffic shaping".. What else could it relate to. The more people take up the service this will soon kick in or else why put it in the T&C'S

TraxData
24-06-2008, 01:10
It says "traffic shaping".. What else could it relate to. The more people take up the service this will soon kick in or else why put it in the T&C'S

Technically not, contact ask4 and ask them, they'll explain :)

colin-bennett
24-06-2008, 01:25
Technically not, contact ask4 and ask them, they'll explain :)

Oh come on.
So ask4 give all there customers 25/25 all the time ??

TraxData
24-06-2008, 01:29
Oh come on.
So ask4 give all there customers 25/25 all the time ??

Yes, and more (50/50 if the bandwith is there)

You need to realise its FTTH (well FTM) with a direct-linkup to ISP, shaping isnt needed.

colin-bennett
24-06-2008, 01:41
Yes, and more (50/50 if the bandwith is there)

You need to realise its FTTH (well FTM) with a direct-linkup to ISP, shaping isnt needed.

Then why they advertise this speed at one of their addresses

Package Name Price per month
Download Speed Upload Speed
4 Meg £15.00 4 Mbit/s 1 Mbit/s

TraxData
24-06-2008, 01:45
Then why they advertise this speed at one of their addresses

Package Name Price per month
Download Speed Upload Speed
4 Meg £15.00 4 Mbit/s 1 Mbit/s

Not all of their addresses are fibre yet, though all are getting the H2o treatment soon as far as im aware :)

If you look on sites like west one where its fibre the packages are 4/4 10/10 and 25/25

colin-bennett
24-06-2008, 02:10
my point is still valid. Up to 25 meg is what they say..
OH but dependant on where you live ?????.
If you can achieve the speeds advertised and are prepared to pay the monthly charge £50.00 then more power to you. However do not lead prople to believe they are the best ISP when clearly they are not.
Having read the t&c I would certainly be wary of entering into a contract with them,,,,,

TraxData
24-06-2008, 03:05
my point is still valid. Up to 25 meg is what they say..
OH but dependant on where you live ?????.
If you can achieve the speeds advertised and are prepared to pay the monthly charge £50.00 then more power to you. However do not lead prople to believe they are the best ISP when clearly they are not.
Having read the t&c I would certainly be wary of entering into a contract with them,,,,,

-rolls eyes-

Are you a troll?

Go read up on the reviews they get 10/10, they ARE the best ISP in the UK providing you can get them.

Richy99
24-06-2008, 11:19
they only have a smalll customer base so they will say they are the best, they are localised so tbh it cant really compare to a larger isp covering the majority of the country

fnkysknky
24-06-2008, 15:59
Not all of their addresses are fibre yet, though all are getting the H2o treatment soon as far as im aware :)

If you look on sites like west one where its fibre the packages are 4/4 10/10 and 25/25

That particular site is too small to justify the cost of fibre, for the forseeable future it will be staying as is. The rest of the sites have high bandwidth links.

Currently no residential sites are on H20 fibre.

TraxData
24-06-2008, 16:05
That particular site is too small to justify the cost of fibre, for the forseeable future it will be staying as is. The rest of the sites have high bandwidth links.

I meant link up, as per H2o comments you use some of their fibre for site to site linkups but that's it i believe?

I dont know what site it was to be honest, havent checked :D

Also, there was a few problems in west one last night (dead dns), did you pick up on it ?

fnkysknky
24-06-2008, 16:13
No idea I'm afraid, been on holiday and not back at work until tomorrow :) Have you raised it with Support?

We currently use H2O for some short fibre runs between buildings at a couple of sites, but yes we are looking to roll out a fibre ring in Sheffield this summer.

TraxData
24-06-2008, 16:19
Decided not to, it was only down for a few hours and only affected US sites so i figured it was maybe a problem with level3 rather than you/ask4 directly.

You have many people excited about that :)

fnkysknky
24-06-2008, 16:22
We'll still be operating the same way (multi-tenant units) but it will give us more resilience and make it easier for us to add new sites in the future. The developers will still need to be on board like now so you're not going to be able to get ask4 in your 3 bedroom semi anytime soon :)

TraxData
24-06-2008, 16:25
I know that :) alot of new builds/re-builds being done in the future though i believe so hopefully developers will hop on board!

colin-bennett
24-06-2008, 23:08

Trax who is the trol ??????????????????

Smilie
17-07-2008, 16:01
just realised i got this email from yesterday

Hi (my name)

A while ago you signed up to Bournemouth Fibrecity updates and asked us to inform you of any developments. I am pleased to let you know that we are now at the stage where we need the permission, of the home owner, to connect where you live. In the next week you will also get a letter through the post which will contain further information on the Fibrecity network.

The installation work will be completed free of charge and all the home owner needs to do is opt in by:

Filling in the online form by clicking here
Filling in the tear off slip on the letter you receive and returning it in the free post envelope
Visiting the Fibrecity helpdesk at Bournemouth Library, The Triangle from the beginning of August.
The way we install the connection does not take long and opting in does not obligate you or the home owner to use the services that will be available via this connection. However, being connected will give the ability to ‘switch on’ should you or future residents want to benefit from having this ultra high speed connectivity.

This offer of free connection to Fibrecity has to be limited to 28 days. Opting in now avoids having to pay to be connected if you change your mind in the future.

If you need any further information, please call 0800 95 4 20 20.

Warm regards

Elfed Thomas
CEO – Fibrecity

RealDiamond
17-07-2008, 20:54
yep if you want more info the ad is in the free advertiser paper in bournemouth but is a3 to big to scan.
www.fibrecity.eu is the site for more info they say in the advert.

Smilie
17-07-2008, 23:08
any1 got any idea what the work will be??
is it like virgin laying a cable and putting a small box next to our house?

RealDiamond
18-07-2008, 03:26
Like cable its going to be a trench to lay the feed to your house then a box on the wall. like cable you don't even have to sign up. you are allowing them to make the Home fibre ready. All installed for free if you reply with in the 28 day window online or via the letter thats being mailed out soon.

RealDiamond
22-07-2008, 11:18
Installation won't be untill september as the earliest.

Welcome to next generation connectivity!

Thank you for signing up to Fibrecity. This is the first step towards you being able to benefit from ultra high speed connectivity. The work to build the Fibrecity network will start in September. Connection to the network will happen in stages, and so we will keep you up-to-date with news and developments including where the work will start and when you will be connected. In the meantime if you have any further questions, please visit www.fibrecity.eu or call 0800 954 20 20.

We will be updating the website with more information and in the future you will be able to login to view secure areas and additional content with your email address and password, so ensure that they are kept in a safe place, for your convenience we have included your login details again below;

Thanks and see you soon,The Fibrecity Team

supered
09-08-2008, 13:38
What I don't understand is, how can speeds of 100mbps(or even 50mbps) be achieved unless you are only downloading around Bournemouth?.
From what I've read on the forum BT's lines won't support such speeds even if you camp in the exchange and as cable only covers a small percentage of the country compared to BT it seems that most internet traffic is running over copper wires.
I can't see how such high speed can be attained, perhaps someone can explain or do I need a new pair of glasses.

Toto
09-08-2008, 13:59
What I don't understand is, how can speeds of 100mbps(or even 50mbps) be achieved unless you are only downloading around Bournemouth?.
From what I've read on the forum BT's lines won't support such speeds even if you camp in the exchange and as cable only covers a small percentage of the country compared to BT it seems that most internet traffic is running over copper wires.
I can't see how such high speed can be attained, perhaps someone can explain or do I need a new pair of glasses.

This company is laying high speed cable in sewers.

Have a look at their website.

RealDiamond
07-11-2008, 04:34
They finaly have started work but as usual never my post code first.

heres the latest ad http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261/GraphiteGB/fibre.jpg was big advert, finaly some signs of life...down the sewers that is not just rats.

Jonathan90
07-11-2008, 09:03
So is this gonna be like Zerizon Fios but in england.

pabscars
07-11-2008, 09:52
i would just like to get the 20 meg i pay, no more no less, my ubr is over subscribed and doing a speed check last night at 1 in the morning showed a thoroughly ultra wrapid, eye ball shaking download of just over 2 meg, yet upload was still decent at 710 ish, whoopie frickin doo.

the phrase "running before one can climb out of the pram" springs to mind

FibrecityBmouth
11-11-2008, 13:24
Hi Guys

My name is Paul and I am currently working for Fibrecity. I am currently the data controller for Fibrecity Bournemouth.

Things are going well so far and we are aiming to get 20% of Bournemouth signed up by Christmas. Some initial work has started in the BH10 and BH11 postcodes in Bournemouth and we will shortly be announcing the first service provider to use our connection. The provider is in place but as everything is still not finalised we are not at liberty to announce this at this time.

From the calls and emails we have recieved we can see that a number of people have questions regarding the work we are doing so I thought I would post here and see if I can get some answers to any questions or concerns you may have (especially those of you in Bournemouth who have not yet signed up!!).

I previously worked for Virgin Media BBI tech support based in the Albert Dock for 2 years and during that time have leeched on Cable Forum to see what was happening and have often found out many useful things while browsing the forums. Indeed that was how I cam across this thread.

So if you guys have any questions please feel free to post them and I will do my best to get the answers for you.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

mr_bo
11-11-2008, 20:10
Hi Guys

My name is Paul and I am currently working for Fibrecity. I am currently the data controller for Fibrecity Bournemouth.

Things are going well so far and we are aiming to get 20% of Bournemouth signed up by Christmas. Some initial work has started in the BH10 and BH11 postcodes in Bournemouth and we will shortly be announcing the first service provider to use our connection. The provider is in place but as everything is still not finalised we are not at liberty to announce this at this time.

From the calls and emails we have recieved we can see that a number of people have questions regarding the work we are doing so I thought I would post here and see if I can get some answers to any questions or concerns you may have (especially those of you in Bournemouth who have not yet signed up!!).

I previously worked for Virgin Media BBI tech support based in the Albert Dock for 2 years and during that time have leeched on Cable Forum to see what was happening and have often found out many useful things while browsing the forums. Indeed that was how I cam across this thread.

So if you guys have any questions please feel free to post them and I will do my best to get the answers for you.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
:luv:BH11:luv:

Graham M
11-11-2008, 21:39
Please suggest BH14, I know its a fair way away but pleeease :p:

RealDiamond
11-11-2008, 23:41
OK paul, ill bite (but not much)
Question 1.
just out of interest What Post codes will the network be actually in ? as theres no real clue how far or wide it will be, in what ive seen so far.
Question 2.
Why is it I found out more details from a free paper I personally trash as soon as it hits the floor than the fibrecity.eu web site. kinda sad you need a paper medium to give updates thats all.
Question 3
Can we look forward to ITV south carrying ads to run right after Virgin media ads on Cable. ( wont affect SKY viewers as we can manually add any ITV channel. Currently still have ITV SW still set up on 103. Never got it reset after moving)

FibrecityBmouth
12-11-2008, 09:00
Hi RealDiamond,

1. The Bournemouth project is from postcodes BH1 through to BH11 with a small number of BH12 properties (around 10 or so).

2. This is someting that I have been harping on about to and I do know that there are going to be live updates launced very soon for people who have registered for updates via the website. There is also going to be a lot more information added to the website soon including maps of the areas we will be installing and and up to date information on when we will be in certain areas.

The newspaper and magazine articles are aimned at the older population in my opinion but I agree that alot more needs to be done with the site and if you have any recommendations I will be happy to pass this on.

3. Not sure about this one. I will see what I can find out.

In response to your suggestion Graham, you're not the first to suggest this I can tell you lol. I will keep you updated if I hear anything about work in the BH14 area.

Graham M
12-11-2008, 09:03
Hi RealDiamond,

1. The Bournemouth project is from postcodes BH1 through to BH11 with a small number of BH12 properties (around 10 or so).

2. This is someting that I have been harping on about to and I do know that there are going to be live updates launced very soon for people who have registered for updates via the website. There is also going to be a lot more information added to the website soon including maps of the areas we will be installing and and up to date information on when we will be in certain areas.

The newspaper and magazine articles are aimned at the older population in my opinion but I agree that alot more needs to be done with the site and if you have any recommendations I will be happy to pass this on.

3. Not sure about this one. I will see what I can find out.

In response to your suggestion Graham, you're not the first to suggest this I can tell you lol. I will keep you updated if I hear anything about work in the BH14 area.

Haha ok thanks, I think the BH13-ers IE Canford Cliffs, Branksome Park, Sandbanks might be a bit miffed :)

FibrecityBmouth
12-11-2008, 09:25
Haha I think so to Graham.

Hopefully we will be able to get to them soon to so noone feels left out!

mr_bo
12-11-2008, 13:59
Hi Paul,

Some BH11/BH12 codes are run by Poole Borough Council, will these properties be excluded?

I have a Bournemouth postal address (BH11) but come under Poole Borough Council, so I'm guessing it's a no?

Thanks, Mike.

Smilie
12-11-2008, 16:08
btw do we get confirmation after returning the opt in letter??
dont wanna be left out when they start working on my street
and have to pay for installation when services are available

RealDiamond
12-11-2008, 22:26
OK Paul thanks

For the site
Put some promo videos up. Please avoid Flash and Java use for video .
Video in WMV and MP4 via direct click-able links please. They are adverts they pay for them selves if done right.

Live updates, well any update is a start. Even if its just simple text like the news section here.

A map of which areas are being done or been done is what I was after on the site.

PS3 users have a web browser, please test the site for compatibility please , as currently its a bit messed up.

Im sure ill have more later.

FibrecityBmouth
13-11-2008, 08:57
Hi guys thanks for the replies.

@Smilie - I believe that this is something that is being wokred on at the moment, either sending out letters or emails or a combination of both. If you do not hear anything and would like to make sure you have been registered please email bournemouth@fibrecity.eu or send me a PM and we can check.

@RealDiamond - Great suggestions, thanks for that.

We do have a few videos which show the machines that will be used for the micro trenchs and I am sure a promo video was done at sometime so i'll get right on that. The updates are badly needed as you mentioned and I will pass this on as a priority.

I believe the guys who are responsible for the site (3rd party company) are going to be wokring on adding some maps to the site which will show the areas that we will be installing in and will hopefully allow you to track the progress of Fibrecity and also show the target install dates of each postcode/area.

Ill pass that compatibility issues on as this could cause problems.

Keep em' coming mate, thanks again.

---------- Post added at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

Hi Paul,

Some BH11/BH12 codes are run by Poole Borough Council, will these properties be excluded?

I have a Bournemouth postal address (BH11) but come under Poole Borough Council, so I'm guessing it's a no?

Thanks, Mike.

Check PM Mike

Cheers, Paul

*sloman*
14-11-2008, 17:25
Hi Paul

Are H2O looking to lay fibre throughout cities within the UK (I recommend Derby), Do you have a price per month for the current 100mbps service?

Thanks in advance

Smilie
15-11-2008, 00:01
Hi Paul

few more questions if u dont mind answering

When abouts should we see services available

what initial service will be available with the service provider you have in place,
just internet?? (even though im not really interested in the other services)
i expect there be some kind of TV video service in the future correct??

any idea if the service provider have a competitive price compared to virgins??

and also the important question
u know when will service be available in BH9 area? :P

FibrecityBmouth
17-11-2008, 16:27
Hi Guys,

@sloman - We are looking to rollout across the UK and so I am sure Derby will be considered. I will certainly pass your suggestion on. No prices as of yet but hopefully the service provider announcement is not too far away and all should become clearer.

@Smilie - For the BH10 and BH11 postcodes we should hopefully be looking at around 6 months for services to be available. we are currently working on trying to produce some accurate times and dates for each area. We will then hopefully be uploading this onto the website.

The initial services should include BBI, TV and Telephone line as far as I am aware. I would expect a TV video service, possibly similar to On Demand to be available at some point as well. If this will be available from the word go we are not sure at the moment.

We do not have any pricing details yet. Once we get confirmation of the providr and everything is setup hopefully we will get a lot more details on the services available and the packages/prices. if I get anything I am allowed to release I will make sure I post as soon as!

For BH9 between 6 and 12months based on estimates but as I said we will hopefully have accurate information soon which we can add to the website.

I am going to visit the Web Design team in the morning so if anyone has anything they would like to see on the site please post or PM me tonight and I will take this with me in the morning.

We are working on making the site look better, adding more content and updating the site a lot more with ongoing news and the like.

*sloman*
18-11-2008, 17:41
Brill thanks

fnkysknky
18-11-2008, 20:23
It will be interesting to see who the service provider(s) is/are.

FibrecityBmouth
19-11-2008, 09:04
Hi fnkysknky,

We will hopefully be announcin this very very soon.

It will definitley be interesting and is a question that a lot of people are asking before signing up.

Just a quick mention about the meeting yesterday with the web team, all went well and I passed on the suggestions received. The work that they have planned should make the site a lot better to use and will provide a lot more up to date information.

Paul

darkbeing
06-12-2008, 02:56
speedy sewer service... Linkage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7387836.stm)

AWWWW Jeeeeez I really dont want a job fixing their sewer cables tho.
Oh imagine that?
getting home from your work
wife : did you have a good day today luv?
tech: nah it was ****

Nhyrvus
06-12-2008, 08:50

Neil

Ummm......
The slow internet is as a RESULT of inventing the phone, dude. .. ..
As one of the first countries to implement a phone service, we used what was best THEN, which was copper wires .. . Other countries made their phone networks later, using the info gained by us doing it, so they were made better, leaving us with the 'old' copper wire.. .. . .
Old boss of mine used to say 'you can have it FAST, or you can have it GOOD, but not both' .. . .:)

Might as well blame Thomas B. Doolittle (1839-1921), for inventing the copper wire in the first place :P

Horizon
09-12-2008, 10:50
FibreCity, how many cities/areas does your company intend to fibre up after Bournemouth, something like a dozen perhaps?? When will this be announced?

Plus, where is your company getting its funding from? Does it have access to new funds considering the credit crunch?

FibrecityBmouth
10-12-2008, 09:35
Hi Horizon,

We are aiming to do as many Fibrecities as possible, I think there were hopes that we could start between 2 and 4 a year once everything starts to kick off. I will tey and get confirmation on this for you.

Our funding is kept private from us so I would not be able to divulge this information, however I do know that funding is not a problem and from what I can gather the company has the backing and funding to help it grow as much as it is able to.

The fact is that noone in the UK is investing as much in infrastructure in the UK as Fibrecity and we intend to continue to rollout Fibrecity to as much of the UK as possible as long as helping to implement our technology across the world via our International department.

There should hopefully be a lot more to come and Fibrecity should continue to grow and become a household name.

Keep the questions coming guys.

Paul

Horizon
11-12-2008, 23:02
Thanks for reply FibreCity, looks like there's lots of competitors to your company appearing now. So, exciting times for UK cable.

FibrecityBmouth
12-12-2008, 09:33
Hi Horizon,

It certainly is, and about time to!

chimpboysteve
24-12-2008, 12:43
Hi Paul,

I hope when it all goes live we are not just restricted to a Virgin deal as it seem a shame to have all that speed only to be capped by Virgin under their "fair usage policy" I hope sometime they and others follow Sky's example of offering true unlimited broadband. Cant' wait, I'm in the BH5 postcode so looking forward to when this hits my area maybe a bit of a wait though?

Thanks,
Steve.

saabmania2
24-12-2008, 15:46
Hi Paul,

I hope when it all goes live we are not just restricted to a Virgin deal as it seem a shame to have all that speed only to be capped by Virgin under their "fair usage policy" I hope sometime they and others follow Sky's example of offering true unlimited broadband. Cant' wait, I'm in the BH5 postcode so looking forward to when this hits my area maybe a bit of a wait though?

Thanks,
Steve.

sky does have usage policy, below is cut from there website:

If you subscribe to a Product that has a cap on the amount of data that you download or upload via your Sky Broadband internet access each month ("Usage Cap"), your usage must not exceed that Usage Cap each month. For the current Usage Caps on each Product, please go to www.sky.com/broadband.

If you exceed your Usage Cap, we will contact you to let you know that you have done so.

If, in subsequent months, your usage continues to exceed your Usage Cap, we will continue to contact you to ask you to reduce your usage immediately. If after a reasonable period of time your usage still exceeds your Usage Cap, then we may do one or more of the following things by notice in writing (including by email):

(a) charge you fair and reasonable costs for your usage (and any reasonable administration costs) in excess of your Usage Cap;

(b) change your subscription to a Product with a higher Usage Cap, in which case we would also notify you of the new price you will be charged;

(c) suspend your use of Sky Broadband for the relevant month; or

(d) end your Contract in accordance with Condition 11 of your Contract

So sky don't have cap's and is totally unlimited then :rolleyes:

Noggo
24-12-2008, 16:33
Unless you get Sky Max BB, then NO FUP.

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/broadband/pricesandoptions/max

Truly unlimited

saabmania2
24-12-2008, 16:37
Unless you get Sky Max BB, then NO FUP.

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/broadband/pricesandoptions/max

Truly unlimited

yeah except for the bt line if it's more than a metre long you won't get anything near what you pay for ;)

Noggo
24-12-2008, 17:16
I've got a neighbour on O2 broadband and it's nearly a constant 13Mpbs and at £21.50/month (£10/m O2 (ok he's an O2 mobile customer) and £11.50/m line rental BT) I think it's good value for money, as there's no traffic management policy, when you compare it to the £25/m `L' STM package from VM

Cable distance is around 2km, according to BT line tests

chimpboysteve
24-12-2008, 17:22
sky does have usage policy, below is cut from there website:

If you subscribe to a Product that has a cap on the amount of data that you download or upload via your Sky Broadband internet access each month ("Usage Cap"), your usage must not exceed that Usage Cap each month. For the current Usage Caps on each Product, please go to www.sky.com/broadband.

If you exceed your Usage Cap, we will contact you to let you know that you have done so.

If, in subsequent months, your usage continues to exceed your Usage Cap, we will continue to contact you to ask you to reduce your usage immediately. If after a reasonable period of time your usage still exceeds your Usage Cap, then we may do one or more of the following things by notice in writing (including by email):

(a) charge you fair and reasonable costs for your usage (and any reasonable administration costs) in excess of your Usage Cap;

(b) change your subscription to a Product with a higher Usage Cap, in which case we would also notify you of the new price you will be charged;

(c) suspend your use of Sky Broadband for the relevant month; or

(d) end your Contract in accordance with Condition 11 of your Contract

So sky don't have cap's and is totally unlimited then :rolleyes:

Noggo is correct:-

Not on the Sky Max package:-

"TRULY UNLIMITED BROADBAND

Truly unlimited broadband

Sky Broadband Max now offers a truly unlimited broadband service with no fair usage policy restrictions and no broadband speed caps. If you sign up for our Sky Broadband Max service it means you will be free to download as much as you want, whenever you want.

We also promise to customers taking our Base, Mid or Max products that we won't slow down connection speeds at peak times. So whether you want to download a movie at 7am or a music track at 7pm, you'll still be able to enjoy the same consistent speed"

I agree with the BT line the speeds can be hammered so bring on the Fibre Optics!!

Fatec
31-12-2008, 14:30
Let's face it, this company (H2O) is becoming more and more like a vapourware company, no news, nothing, nada.

Graham M
01-01-2009, 22:06
Well I saw a Fibrecity van this morning so I don't think they're going anywhere

RealDiamond
01-01-2009, 22:35
Its was december when "fibre" posted here, most Web design companies are shut for nearly 3 weeks it Xmass. I know 1 person at a company Who has been forced to take 2 weeks payed leave for Xmass.
The only company vans on the road Ive seen are SKY vans they seam to be on the road every were.
The free paper seams to have vanished due to delivery day being Bank Holidays...less to go in the rubbish Bin....
If its 3-6 months to do per post code then you realy don't need a quick reply do we.

Ignitionnet
02-01-2009, 10:14
So is anyone actually connected yet?

It really shouldn't take 3-6 months to do a single postcode, you're looking at an insane length of time to do Bournemouth if that's the case.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Hi Horizon,

We are aiming to do as many Fibrecities as possible, I think there were hopes that we could start between 2 and 4 a year once everything starts to kick off. I will tey and get confirmation on this for you.

Our funding is kept private from us so I would not be able to divulge this information, however I do know that funding is not a problem and from what I can gather the company has the backing and funding to help it grow as much as it is able to.

The fact is that noone in the UK is investing as much in infrastructure in the UK as Fibrecity and we intend to continue to rollout Fibrecity to as much of the UK as possible as long as helping to implement our technology across the world via our International department.

There should hopefully be a lot more to come and Fibrecity should continue to grow and become a household name.

Keep the questions coming guys.

Paul

With all due respect Paul, 2 - 4 cities a year and you haven't connected a single home in a 'fibrecity' yet. Yes your tech is certainly useful and presents an alternative to standard construction techniques, I think some of it's been done in Sweden before, and is well worth running.

It'd be good to see some actual progress, some construction work, some homes being serviced, any timescale on when you'll be connecting your first residents?

Any news on who the ISPs available to people will be as well?

The fibre will be laid beneath the streets of Bournemouth from September 2008 onwards.

15th October 2008 - H2O Networks today announced that work has finally begun on the rollout of its next generation fibre optic (Fibrecity) network in the BH10 and BH11 (Bournemouth) postcode areas. The network will be capable of delivering broadband speeds at up to 100Mbps.

FibrecityBmouth
05-01-2009, 11:59
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of replies lately we have been closed over christmas from the 22nd of December till today so apologies for that!

I will check through the posts as soon as I get a spare minute and try toanswer any questions that have been raised.

Just to let you know everything is going well and we are certainly still progressing with Bournemouth and we soon be launching our Dundee project.

Any other questions people have while I am checking? Feel free to post.

I will post again as soon as, Happy New Year to everyone!

Paul

dannybear
07-01-2009, 01:52
It would please me more to see Virgin Media to see another cable / ISP provider. In which it can offer better speeds, no restrictions and not being penalised.
I do hope it can offer better customer services, UK call centres. As being half death I have trouble understanding and hearing people over the phone. When they hang up on you thinking you are having “ Joke “, then having to send letters in to complain along side with medical notes.
This is what kind of treatment I had. After being a loyal customer to Telewest before Virgin Media comes along and made a mess of things.

I do hope they come to London and start doing cable to the homes, I would like to sign up :)

ShavedApe
07-01-2009, 23:45
Any steps forward have to be considered a good thing I'm all for it.

DanJKent
12-01-2009, 13:32
Any news FibreCity?

I'm in BH8, any idea how long before work starts in my area?

Thanks,

Dan.

Hunt0r
15-01-2009, 12:40
Hi Paul, if your projected completion of each postcode is 6 months. How long do you project for completion of the entire bournemouth area? ps im in bh6 any idea when we get done ;)

Cheers
Dave

RealDiamond
17-01-2009, 15:21
Well had more junk mail arrive on the floor.
People now have till the 28th of feb to sign up for the free trench digging and 4 holes in the brick work with a box then attached to it. Seems unfair to limit the free install to 28th if its not going to be done till september anyway.

Smilie
17-01-2009, 22:19
btw
still no way of confirming if my opt in letter has been received or not??

FibrecityBmouth
20-01-2009, 16:44
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of communication lately things have been a little hectic!

@Dan - Please send me your full postcode via PM or post and I will check this for you.

@Hunt0r - The Bournemouth project is predicted to take 2 years to complete in full. Again if you would like to send me your full postcode or post it here I can check this for you.

@RealDiamond - These dates are given due to the Project timeline, you will have written notice when the engineer is due in your area and an exact deadline closer to the time. As soon as the engineer has moved out of your area the install will not be free of charge. I hope I have explained that well enough!

@Smilie - Sorry, could you please send me your full address via PM and I will check this for you first thing in the morning.

Hopefully you have all seen the press release from Monday, if not this can be found on www.fibrecity.eu under Latest News. The general point of the press release is to highlight that installations will commence in the next few weeks at the first 30 homes and the first 30 homes will be up and running by the end of march.

We will shortly be announcing the first provider to use the connection aswell as launching a brand new website.

Any questions at all please let me know.

Paul

RealDiamond
20-01-2009, 20:22
yep got the email.
End of 2010 for completion of the BH1 - BH12 project. Long job.
New website :angel:.
WEBKIT and PS3 friendly remember ;). The less JAVA SCRIPT :nono: used the better
(One engineer you just using that as a saying right)

Pierre
26-01-2009, 14:34
This is all very good, but Fibrecity isn't a service provider.

You may have a wonderful fibre optic cable right up to you house, but it wont be much good if you haven't got any ISPs using it?

So which ISPs are going to be using fibrecity????????

Toto
26-01-2009, 21:07
I'll pee myself laughing if the first ISP is VM.

Mick Fisher
27-01-2009, 07:18
Or BT. :rolleyes:

Would be nice if it is Be.

Pierre
27-01-2009, 10:17

Unlikely to be VM as they already service Bournemouth, doubt BT would pay use some elses network either.

I don't know what the Fibrecity network topology looks like, but remember you only as fast as your slowest part of the network.

Fibrecity are providing a fibre access network (which is great) but they'll have to link up to a national backhaul and overall speed will be determined by how congested they are, or how good their ISPs kit is.

It should be better than adsl, but don't expect 100mb not straight away.

Fibrecity are literally just selling dark fibre at an access level, which is risky because if they don't have any take up they'll struggle to return on the investment, and in this economic climate that could be the end.

Turkey Machine
27-01-2009, 16:48
Unlikely to be VM as they already service Bournemouth, doubt BT would pay use some elses network either.

I don't know what the Fibrecity network topology looks like, but remember you only as fast as your slowest part of the network.

Fibrecity are providing a fibre access network (which is great) but they'll have to link up to a national backhaul and overall speed will be determined by how congested they are, or how good their ISPs kit is.

It should be better than adsl, but don't expect 100mb not straight away.

Fibrecity are literally just selling dark fibre at an access level, which is risky because if they don't have any take up they'll struggle to return on the investment, and in this economic climate that could be the end.

I could see Entanet using it if the infrastructure's there.

RealDiamond
29-01-2009, 03:04
OK Paul
New Questions
You say you have providers lined up. But could not name for legal reasons, them thats fine, but can you say a date for when BH9 is likely to finish in 2009 or is it 2010 and Do you know if the Broadband supplier will use a switch and modem in one unit or just Modem like VM.

Even if I was to sign up to 100Mb/s the PS3 would only use 50Mb/s as I use background downloading and that is restricted by the PS3. so you can still use the web browser stay signed in, send texts and use other online equipment.

I want to upgrade my router to a Gigabit cable router as file transfers are so slow at 50Mb/s be better at 500Mb/s.
If it's not due to finish till next year in BH9 or ill need a router still, Ill get my new Gigabit router.
cheers.

FibrecityBmouth
29-01-2009, 09:33
Hi RealDiamond,

Can you send me your full postcode in a PM and I will check when your area is scheduled to be completed.

Regards

Paul

Smilie
29-01-2009, 22:21
to the techies in this forum
will a wireless-N router be able to utilize the full speed of a 100mbps broadband??

not that Im using wireless-N (still using G)
but would like to know
in case i see a good wireless-N router on sale
and upgrade

RealDiamond
29-01-2009, 23:04
Yep n speed is fine for 100Mb/s wifi. Most N speed are now higher than 100Mb/s some are 300Mb/s. Thats why im asking if there will be a free router attached to the ISPs modem. If there is theres little point in upgrading now unless its install date is Next year.

Ignitionnet
30-01-2009, 12:14
You won't get a modem it'll be delivered over a straight ethernet port. No need for a modem on PON, the box outside the house does it all.

No N router will give you 300Mbit/s even if it's what they advertise, I'm not sure how many will actually manage 100Mbit of real data.

Looks as though some will, some won't, depends a lot of the access point and the wireless card though!

RealDiamond
30-01-2009, 16:23
So the router plugs into the wall socket that feeds the home network got ya.

Thanks paul for the estimate.
Well been told Ill have to wait, so Im upgrading the router for file transfers, the N speed in the router is 270Mb/s on this router with a N speed wifi adapter add on PCI card thingy. But I don't want it for Wifi I want the LAN speed increase. With out having to connect and Disconnect the PS3 from the router.
I can always add wifi N speed increase after the H20 install.

*sloman*
06-02-2009, 13:37
You won't get a modem it'll be delivered over a straight ethernet port. No need for a modem on PON, the box outside the house does it all.

No N router will give you 300Mbit/s even if it's what they advertise, I'm not sure how many will actually manage 100Mbit of real data.

Looks as though some will, some won't, depends a lot of the access point and the wireless card though!

I have Belkin wireless N router and a Wireless N built in the laptop.

If the laptop is within 2m of the router i can transfer to a (Gigabit) NAS at 3MB/s a second.

10-25m away through a couple of walls i'm luck to be able to transfer and faster than 1MB/s

This is why i am now using HomePlugs

RealDiamond
09-02-2009, 11:53
Wheres this new website. Its nearly a month since the bournemouth news part updated.

Side topic Im ready and waiting :p: ( well nearly going to put some new cables in.) Got the Gigabit router but have not got the N mimo Card thingy yet. <£50 Ill wait. but the wifi is still stronger. The power is not as brilliant as they say due to having to use the G speed mode but then like the user above there are many walls and metal filled objects in the way. Ive been down the end of the garden like your supposed to with wifi ;) boring. needs to rain :) grass is going brown.
Bit annoyed my old desktop mac is a bit older than it says the NIC is only 100Mb/s :td: the lights on the router go, green, blue, green, green, orange looks rubbish, real bad. :D

FibrecityBmouth
09-02-2009, 16:43
Hi RealDiamond,

Apologies on the website not being updated yet, there have been a few internal changes within the company so the H20 Networks side of the business has been the priority for the last month or so.

I have seen a preview of the new site and it looks a lot better and should be updated much more regularly in the future. It should be live soon but I wouldn't like to commit to a date. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Latest news on the project is that surveys have been taking place in the first area we will be connecting and the installations in these areas will be taking place in the next few weeks.

Paul

smee init
13-02-2009, 16:45
More info for you:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39598306,00.htm

Pierre
16-02-2009, 09:28
Third-party service providers, such as ISPs, have not yet been revealed but the Fibrecity spokeswoman told ZDNet UK's sister site, silicon.com, an announcement is "very imminent".

Until the ISPs are announced nobody is going to be connected to anything

RealDiamond
16-02-2009, 10:36
Hi Guys

Paul

Guess Nothing will be posted as they don't have a good site to post on.
Untill the new sites up,
with Real news and blog tracking,
MP4 and WMV demos of people using the kit from a Show Home.
PDFs full of technical specs of there services...

FibrecityBmouth
16-02-2009, 13:44
Hi RealDiamond,

I would hope that the site will have been re-launched before the announcement is made but I am unsure on this at the moment. We will be making an announcement very shortly so keep an eye out for this.

I wish that I could give you definitive dates and details on some of these things but as I am sure you all appreciate I am unable to divulge full details on many things just at the moment!

The work leading up to the first 30 homes being connected has begun and it will certainly help us once these homes are connected as well as provide a lot of the answers to the questions that people are asking.

@Antoine

Good to see a fellow blue posting on this thread :)

As always if you have any questions guys please feel free to ask. As I said I may not be able to give the answers that you are looking for right away but I will certainly try.

Any suggestions and feedback that you have are also taken on board and appreciated

Paul

Holylucifer
03-03-2009, 19:56
Well, pfft only ignorant people would not take up the free install who do not know much about internet connections.

I live at bh9, so yea i wish this installation was alot quicker because i bet this 100/100 connection may cost realisitically like what, £35-40 a month?

Shame, not all the households here took up on the free offer, i did, anyways would love to know the monthly charge, and when this becomes available, and is at a good price, you will see me telling my dad to change isp, asap, from virgin media.

DanJKent
27-03-2009, 09:01
Hi Paul,

Great news on the first 50 homes being connected. Does this mean they're "live" or that they just have everything in place ready for a provider to use the connection? More importantly is there any news on provider(s) or pricing?

The latest e-mail update says that these homes "will showcase the cababilities of the Fibrecity infrastructure", does this mean that while we're all waiting we'll be able to see it in action somehow?

In the meantime I can thoroughly recommend the use of an i-Plate for those with an NTE5 socket. My connection immediately increased from 2.5Mb/s to just over 3.5Mb/s - still way off the "up to 8Mb/s" but worth the £10 for the plate.

Dan.

FibrecityBmouth
31-03-2009, 09:52
Hi Dan,

The connections are not 'live' just yet but this will be happening very shortly. The talks regarding the provider are still ongoing as far as I am aware but obviously we want to get these 50 homes live as soon as possible to highlight the network to everyone.

Once the services are live we will be doing lots of press releases showcasing the network and its capabilities so you will certainly be able to see what to expect.

I will let you know as soon as I have concrete details to post.

Regards

Paul

Ignitionnet
31-03-2009, 14:05
Paul,

The talks regarding the provider are still ongoing as far as I am aware but obviously we want to get these 50 homes live as soon as possible to highlight the network to everyone.

That implies you have no concrete retail partner for Bournemouth at this time but are in negotiation. Confirm/deny?

FibrecityBmouth
31-03-2009, 14:35
Hi Broadbandings,

As far as I am aware the negotiations are still ongoing at an advanced stage and should be completed shortly.

Obviously at my level I am not informed of every detail and outcome so I may only find out a few days before everyone else! To be honest with you, the information (below) from the press release is pretty much what I have been told so far:

The firm is in a very strong position and is in final negotiations and positive discussions with a number of key content providers and companies that will provide next generation services including IPTV, delivering a complete range of channels including interactive gaming.

Regards

Paul

Hugh
31-03-2009, 14:44
Hi Broadbandings,

As far as I am aware the negotiations are still ongoing at an advanced stage and should be completed shortly.

Obviously at my level I am not informed of every detail and outcome so I may only find out a few days before everyone else! To be honest with you, the information (below) from the press release is pretty much what I have been told so far:

The firm is in a very strong position and is in final negotiations and positive discussions with a number of key content providers and companies that will provide next generation services including IPTV, delivering a complete range of channels including interactive gaming.

Regards

Paul

No disrespect, Paul, but that's what you said nearly five months ago on your first post (#71 in this this thread)

Hi Guys

Thanks in advance,

Paul

FibrecityBmouth
31-03-2009, 15:03
Hi foreverwar,

Fair comment and I am sorry I cannot give everyone more to go on, however I can only tell you what I am told myself. Obviously we as a company would like this to have been sorted a lot sooner but unfortunately things are not always as simple as we would like them to be.

As I said previously as soon as I have been given concrete information I will make sure to post it, until that time I can only update you on the progress as much as I myself am updated.

Hopefully because the first homes have been connected and now need to be made 'live' this will push negotiations forward to a conclusion.

As I said in an earlier post unfortunately the answers I can post may not always be the ones people are looking for but I will do my best.

Regards

Paul

lloydio
02-04-2009, 14:50
I guess the provider could be C4L as they have got a Gigabit backbone to Bournemouth.

http://www.c4l.co.uk/colocation/south-west/colocation-south-west-bournemouth.php

I have seen the fibrecity vans out and about in the "BH7 7" region (Littledown estate in particular) and I know the fibre has actually been installed there but haven't seen any premises which have been connected yet.

I live a bit further down the road in the "BH7 6" (Boscombe East) region and cant wait to be connected, any news on when work will commence here?

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Must be C4L because i found this statement:

"
C4L Preps 100Gbps of Connectivity for Bournemouth

We have plans to increase this to 800 Gbps when required (enough to run 400,000 homes on 100Mbps 50:1 ratio) which will significantly increase connectivity in Bournemouth and the local area.

The core of this service will be at our Bournemouth data centre which will be launched later in the year. Here we are running the connectivity down to enable the most cost effective line solutions in time for the release of pricing.

Circuits will be available back to London for any ISP’s wishing to use their own bandwidth/networks. We will also be offering 100Mbps, 1000Mbps and 10GigE 1:1 to premises for Business. More details will be provided soon."

from http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkEEkZkuAFYrIyrrPe.html

Ignitionnet
02-04-2009, 22:47
C4L are not a residential provider and have no interest in becoming one. Notice that the only circuits they mention are business.

From your quote:

Circuits will be available back to London for any ISP’s wishing to use their own bandwidth/networks. We will also be offering 100Mbps, 1000Mbps and 10GigE 1:1 to premises for Business. More details will be provided soon.

C4L will according to that offer backhaul to other ISPs but their only FTTP service will be business leased circuits.

The reference to homes was I think an example, plus it's a nice big number, 400,000 homes ;)

EDIT: I actually suspect that C4L installed the backhaul to use i3's dark fibre for those nice profitable business services, not as part of the FibreCity residential PON deployment. I'll see if the guy I used to know at C4L is still there and chat with him.

Nice find on the story :)

*sloman*
03-04-2009, 09:49
if the ISP's are Sky or Be* you guys in Bournemouth are so lucky!

Anyone on here one of the lucky 50?

C_Agent
06-04-2009, 17:42
Right now, the 50Mb and above services are not subject to traffic management, just fyi :)

Ignitionnet
06-04-2009, 19:48
Right now, the 50Mb and above services are not subject to traffic management, just fyi :)

Erm ok, not entirely sure of relevance to Bournemouth's FTTP but there we go :)

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

if the ISP's are Sky or Be* you guys in Bournemouth are so lucky!

Anyone on here one of the lucky 50?

Still no ISP.

lloydio
07-05-2009, 17:02
Its gone a bit quiet recently.

Is there anyone out there that has been connected up yet that can give us some info?

Pierre
07-05-2009, 17:15
Depends how you define "connected"

There are, I'm sure, people who have a cable installed.

But there's no ISP to connect to.

FibrecityBmouth
11-05-2009, 16:23
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of contact lately, have been in Bournemouth recently following up a few things.

@lloydio - We have not yet announced the service providers using the connection at the moment, as soon as I am able to do this I will be sure to post on here for everyone.

@Pierre - There are a number of homes installed as you have mentioned and we should be starting the roll-out in earnest in around 2-3 weeks.

I will post any information that I can as soon as guys.

Regards

Paul

Hugh
11-05-2009, 20:06
Anybody want to buy a bridge? ;)

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5788/londonbridge.jpg
(http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://outreach.rice.edu/%7Etrsler/clubs/indtech/techedwp/bridges/london%2520bridge.jpg&imgrefurl=http://desktop-cool-wallpapers.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html&usg=__J3d6OPrvUeG06QN8RPyqxo96SU4=&h=800&w=1200&sz=89&hl=en&start=2&sig2=43oi2lrcGQoZ3QuCCBy1lQ&tbnid=JF5SjG-Q4Zz53M:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlondon%2Bbridge%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%2 6safe%3Doff&ei=OHcISuxexcn4BqzAiIID)

Druchii
11-05-2009, 20:08
Anybody want to buy a bridge? ;)

That image links to a nice looking webpage...

slowcoach
11-05-2009, 22:06
Please remember this is a family site with lots of vulnerable members. :dozey:

GhostMjr
22-05-2009, 11:57
Which postcodes are as of now planned and are there any roll out dates for other ones?

Also which streets/ postcodes are currently as of now live.

Sirius
23-05-2009, 06:21
Have they got an ISP yet ????

Druchii
23-05-2009, 09:24
They're probably still "In talks". They'd make a lot of noise over it, i'm sure.

At the moment it's looking a bit like the Millennium dome in it's first incarnation... A big white... Elephant.

GhostMjr
23-05-2009, 09:59

Nope everytime i ring their help line i get the words " we are just about to announce it" lol!

Raistlin
23-05-2009, 10:05
That image links to a nice looking webpage...

Not any more it doesn't ;)

RealDiamond
25-05-2009, 05:40
Which postcodes are as of now planned and are there any roll out dates for other ones?

Also which streets/ postcodes are currently as of now live.
PM Fibrecity/paul your post code.
Ive got up to another 7 months of waiting for BH9

Sirius
25-05-2009, 11:47
Nope everytime i ring their help line i get the words " we are just about to announce it" lol!

So its "coming soon" :LOL:

lloydio
26-05-2009, 09:30
I was reading about Fibre tax, would this be something that is holding back getting a provider on board?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2009/03/20/i3-group-calls-on-government-to-scrap-fibre-broadband-tax.html

Safeman
26-05-2009, 09:55
will benefit from 100Mbps broadband OMG virgin 50Mbps lol

BrianC
26-05-2009, 22:21
I have sent a number of emails to the Fibrecity team. Haven't had many replies, but this one was in response to one I sent about 2 months back :-

Thank you for your email.

Bournemouth is very still much our primary project we have just started
the marketing and awareness campaign in Dundee as we did with
Bournemouth.

The installation work has begun and should be gathering pace now,
unfortunately we are not yet in a position to announce the service
providers using the connection. We hope to have this information for you
very shortly.

A few updates have been sent out regarding the first installations, I
will check your details on our system to make sure we have your email
address correctly. Can you please confirm your full address and
postcode, as well as your preferred email address to that I can check
this.

Your postcode is in the 3rd area to be connected, meaning that it will
be at least 6-8 months before we start to connect your area. If you
would like to take up another provider at the moment we can still
install the connection for you and you can then switch whenever your
contract ends or you are ready to use the connection.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Paul Knight
Fibrecity

I suppose they are trying to be helpful.

lloydio
15-06-2009, 14:04
Just read this bit of news:

Sky hits velocity with first UK fibre deal

BSkyB is making its channels available via fibre optic technology in the UK for the first time, over a network capable of delivering 100Mbps, at a time when the government is calling for homes nationwide to receive just 2Mbps. It is also understood to be in discussions with another provider called H2O.

Druchii
15-06-2009, 14:19
Just read this bit of news:
Oh god no...

Wished it was BE for example.

BrianC
15-06-2009, 15:12
Hmm. I wonder ..... Anyway, I'll have to wait and see. I have just (or am in the process of doing so) moved to another provider. I did make sure I was not locked into a contract period of more than 1 month so, if miracles do happen and fibre arrives on my doorstep and it is not ridiculously expensive, it shouldn't be too difficult to move.

Ignitionnet
16-06-2009, 12:14
Oh god no...

Wished it was BE for example.

This is about TV, Sky may also be in correspondance with H2O for the same thing, not necessarily internet as well. Sky have been in contact with H2O for some time actually.

In any event there are far worse ISPs than Sky. For all the raving about Be/O2 Sky manage their LLU network better with no congestion and have a superior IP network as a whole compared to the Be/O2 one.

RealDiamond
17-06-2009, 07:32
Sky was one of ISPs in the UK which failed to update their DNS data base correctly. This trigged false claims that the PS3 PSN network was faulty even when Virgin media, Open DNS and BT DNS use was fine still. As usual SKY blammed Some one else.
I already altered My virgin media package Deal. so am saying with VM again.
Fibrecity still have the same old web site with no updates still.
The adverts in local press have vanished as has the junk mail on the door mat.

Ignitionnet
17-06-2009, 12:34
Sky was one of ISPs in the UK which failed to update their DNS data base correctly. This trigged false claims that the PS3 PSN network was faulty even when Virgin media, Open DNS and BT DNS use was fine still. As usual SKY blammed Some one else.

Neither Sky nor any other ISP manually updates DNS it's done automagically based on TTLs provided by authoritative servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_live

RealDiamond
17-06-2009, 19:54
Neither Sky nor any other ISP manually updates DNS it's done automagically based on TTLs provided by authoritative servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_live
OK well what ever SKY use don't work correctly unlike Virgin media or BT. SKY users are still having to change DNS address manually on PS3.

lloydio
19-06-2009, 00:42
I already altered My virgin media package Deal. so am saying with VM again.
Fibrecity still have the same old web site with no updates still.
The adverts in local press have vanished as has the junk mail on the door mat.

hehe, i had a fresh fibrecity leaflet through my door this morning asking me to sign up. It must be the 5th one i have filled out so far :P

dannybear
01-07-2009, 13:34
Any news updates ?

DanJKent
01-07-2009, 15:00
Any news updates ?

Ditto - FibrecityBmouth's gone worryingly quiet

Sirius
01-07-2009, 15:46
Ditto - FibrecityBmouth's gone worryingly quiet

Last i heard was that they STILL had no ISP

Ignitionnet
01-07-2009, 21:44
Last i heard was that they STILL had no ISP

One ISP that was on the books apparently pulled out due to the rollout being at a slower pace than they wished for.

Just something I heard.

Sirius
01-07-2009, 23:05
One ISP that was on the books apparently pulled out due to the rollout being at a slower pace than they wished for.

Just something I heard.

I have heard things as well ;)

dannybear
02-07-2009, 00:20
what was the ISP on the books then ?

Sky ? Be/O2 ETC?

DanJKent
01-09-2009, 08:38
Has anyone heard anything about anything?

Since it's been nearly 4 months since we last heard from fibrecity, we're 2 months past the estimated install date for my postcode and Paul's no longer responding to PMs I'm guessing it's all gone belly up and may not happen?

GhostMjr
01-09-2009, 08:42
Has anyone heard anything about anything?

Since it's been nearly 4 months since we last heard from fibrecity, we're 2 months past the estimated install date for my postcode and Paul's no longer responding to PMs I'm guessing it's all gone belly up and may not happen?

I went to the air show a couple of weeks ago and cornered a sales lady about the subject at her stall. She couldn't answer the pricelist and ISP questions i asked. Personally it feels like they are going to sell all our details to the highest bidder or will roll it out partially run out of money and it will collapse!

lloydio
01-09-2009, 10:13
last i heard they announced that they were going to be rolling out fibre through the sewers in Ireland.

would of been nice if they could finish there first project. seems all talk!

Ignitionnet
01-09-2009, 19:13
what was the ISP on the books then ?

Sky ? Be/O2 ETC?

Sky were certainly involved at some point.

lloydio
23-09-2009, 17:37
looks like a good sign, the website has finally been updated:

http://www.fibrecity.eu/

Ignitionnet
24-09-2009, 09:57
Indeed, once one sifts through the marketing guff about self-service portals there does seem to be a positive there:

When will the first service provider be on board?

The first service providers are already on board – we’re just not at liberty to divulge names right now. However, this is just the start and we are currently evaluating a number of different services to add to the self service portal.

This seems a huge positive, and about time too! Looks as though they are taking the approach of having all SPs services in one page and customers pick from them, rather than wholesaling access to the fibre at bitstream level as BT are and 'binding' your fibre link to a provider.

FibrecityBmouth
24-09-2009, 15:05
Hi Guys,

Sincere apologies for my non-posting for a while! I have been so busy I have not had time to post as well as being out of the office a lot more recently. However I will be making every effort to regularly post from today!

As someone pointed out the website has now been updated, and although there is still a lot of work to be done and changes to be made I hope that you will find some of the information on this site useful.

Re: Service Providers. We do have some details of the first providers but as mentioned on the site, and indeed the quote from Broadbandings, we are unable to divulge names right now. As soon as we have the go ahead this information will be on the site and I will post details here.

The video at this link (for those who haven't seen it) may proof useful as it contains quite a bit of information:

http://www.fibrecity.eu/how.php

For those who haven't read the latest press release (from a couple of days ago):

http://www.fibrecity.eu/news.php

The installs in the BH11 area will be starting within the next couple of weeks or so and although this has taken longer than we would have liked please be assured that we are very much still on track to be completed in Bournemouth by early 2011. With any new project there are issues to overcome, however we are still 100% progressing and we are all excited about the project.

I know I have been away for some time so...any questions, fire them at me. As always I will do my best to answer questions for you but I cannot also give full details at this moment in time.

I look forward to hearing your comments/questions/feedback,

Paul

Hugh
24-09-2009, 16:02
Paul,

do something about your website, please - if you scroll up and down, it jumps like a jumpy thing that just won jump of the year (and no, it is not my connection - I am on a JANET link at work, and I have a constant 83Mb down, and 65Mb up).

Druchii
24-09-2009, 16:24
Paul,

do something about your website, please - if you scroll up and down, it jumps like a jumpy thing that just won jump of the year (and no, it is not my connection - I am on a JANET link at work, and I have a constant 83Mb down, and 65Mb up).
Works great in Fx 3.5 and IE8 here.

Good to hear that they have ISPs for it now though!

FibrecityBmouth
24-09-2009, 16:35
Paul,

Hi foreverwar,

What browser are you using? I am using Google Chrome and it seems to be OK, however I will need to get that checked out if it is causing problems on a particular browser.

Paul

Mick Fisher
24-09-2009, 22:00
Site working fine here on VM 20meg using Slimbrowser.

Hugh
24-09-2009, 22:17
Hi foreverwar,

What browser are you using? I am using Google Chrome and it seems to be OK, however I will need to get that checked out if it is causing problems on a particular browser.

Paul
At work, IE7 under XP.

Fine at home under Vista Ultimate with IE8.

lloydio
28-09-2009, 16:12
@FibrecityBmouth

Have you got an idea of when work will start in the "BH7 6" region of Bournemouth?

mr_bo
29-09-2009, 09:39
From the bloke down the pub (well actually a work colleague:)) who had a rep from Fibrecity on his doorstep last night:-

2 weeks for his install date
Major announcement next week from Fibrecity
100mb guaranteed, tests in Paddington Grove (if any one knows it) have achieved 500mb - but obviously a test
BT / Sky are in the forground but still open to tenders
Nothing on pricing yet

We wait with anticipation...

jrhnewark
29-09-2009, 17:04
Nothing on pricing - surprise, surprise. I can't see this happening.

It would take a lot more than 100Mbps for me to move to Bournemouth. I can survive on Vodafone mobile broadband for a night - can you imagine what it would take for a lifetime?

Boring place!

mr_bo
29-09-2009, 20:11
Nothing on pricing - surprise, surprise. I can't see this happening.

Well surely fibrecity need to secure an isp before pricing can be decided as your hard earned pennies will go to the isp?

It would take a lot more than 100Mbps for me to move to Bournemouth. I can survive on Vodafone mobile broadband for a night - can you imagine what it would take for a lifetime?

Good! :)

Boring place!

Think that's for another thread, but for what it's worth you're wrong :p:

Smilie
17-10-2009, 12:40
Had a phone call yesterday from fibrecity (some1 else tooked the call)
saying that they will be coming to install it this month or something

im in the BH9 area

FibrecityBmouth
21-10-2009, 14:49
@Smilie

I think the person taking the call for you may have got the wrong end of the stick or something was wrongly explained to them. We are currently working in the BH11 area at the moment and BH9 will not be connected for a few months yet.

Our team are currently doing surveys in lots of areas, to go through the cable route and box placement at the property, so I would imagine this is what the call was with regards to. If you want to PM me with your address I can chase the call up for you to find out exactly what was said.

I hope this clears things up.

Smilie
21-10-2009, 16:14
cool thanks
i'll send u a PM

also want to ask a question

if this call is about a survey and placement in my area
do i have to be at my house to tell them the placement of the box to my house??
as the call didn't give us a specifict day
i won't know if some1 will be home at the time

or is this just a courtesy call so i'll know some1 might be poking around my house??

FibrecityBmouth
21-10-2009, 16:35
No problem Smilie, I am chasing this up for you.

You, or the home owner if that isn't you, will need to be at the property during the survey to let the surveyor know where you would like the box and to make sure you are happy with the work we will do.

They should try and find out the best time to catch you in, however they will not necessarily give a specific time slot so you are not waiting if they cannot make it right on time. If you are not in they will come back until they catch you in so no need to worry. No work will be done without this survey being signed by the home owner as confirmation.

Graham M
02-11-2009, 14:35
They dug up the pavement just across the road while I was gone and I went and had a nosey earlier and there's a duct lid saying H2O networks, can anyone from FibreCity confirm what this means exactly? Pavement was dug up on Bournemouth Road BH14 outside Sainsburys Local

soicky
02-11-2009, 19:22
They dug up the pavement just across the road while I was gone and I went and had a nosey earlier and there's a duct lid saying H2O networks, can anyone from FibreCity confirm what this means exactly? Pavement was dug up on Bournemouth Road BH14 outside Sainsburys Local

Shouldn't be so nosey. :nono:

Graham M
02-11-2009, 20:23
Shouldn't be so nosey. :nono:

Heh?

soicky
02-11-2009, 22:43
Heh?

dw ;)

mr_bo
08-11-2009, 17:45
Well they are laying the last mile all around BH11 9XX, all the workmen with fibrecity logo on their hi viz jackets, working on a Sunday too!
So painful that they are laying cable literally 2 streets away from mine knowing they won't be laying in my street :(

ED209
08-11-2009, 20:21
Well they are laying the last mile all around BH11 9XX, all the workmen with fibrecity logo on their hi viz jackets, working on a Sunday too!
So painful that they are laying cable literally 2 streets away from mine knowing they won't be laying in my street :(

Well that's good news for the girlfirend, she lives a little further down Poole Lane towards Kinson.

Why aren't they doing your road?

Does anyone know how long from installation to being able to use, any chance before Christmas?(Yes I know I'm being very optimistic!:) )

ED209
14-11-2009, 10:05
The stepson was delivering down Bearcross Avenue and saw fibrecity boxes on the front of houses with a cable running from them to the road that needed to be connected yesterday!

robertjames
01-12-2009, 11:15
So has anyone actually had the installation yet ?

I had a lady round last night to discuss my installation. She seemed keen to run the fibre from the street down the side of my house, to the rear. I stated that my PC was in a bedroom at the back of the property, and she was keen to situate the box near that bedroom. So her route involved approx 13M of paving slabs being pulled up. As I live on a corner, I suggested coming in off the other side of the house (from another street) and she agreed it would be easier that way.

So I have the following question outstanding from my meeting.
1) does the box actually have to be near your PC ?
2) is it fibre from the external box to an internal box ?
3) Is it fibre from an internal box to your PC, or 100Mb ethernet ?
4) could the internal box go in the loft? (I have ethernet cables from some rooms cabled to the loft, so the loft could be a good place to start).
5) if TV services are planned, maybe the internal box should go near the TV in the lounge ??

I'm just keen to
a) NOT have any slabs pulled up and then poorly re-laid
b) get the external box fitted in the best location.

Anyone got any comments ?

Rob
located in BH9 near winton/moordown.

AHN-David
13-12-2009, 21:11
I sent this company a email about 2 weeks ago using the method on there site and no reply.

Looks like a major scam to me or they have went under already.

RealDiamond
14-12-2009, 20:33
Ha Ha LOL
Expecting a reply to email under 4 weeks are you New to the internet.
Try 8 weeks, IF its not a Fault with service companies do ZERO to supply information..
Fibrecity wont go under untill there Loans are recalled by the Investers and thats not Due for Years thats what investers DO. There parent company H20 Has been around for a while any way.

Back to topic were does B11 cover and where is their base in Bournemouth. NEVER seen one dam VAN, As I got lots of questions for Real workers of the company. Seen plenty of Virgin media vans LOL, One guy lives real close.. Down the bottom of the road turn right.

BH9 as well still 5 months untill I expect them to want to Talk to me about installation.

Ignitionnet
14-12-2009, 21:34
Odd RealDiamond I've seen a number of posts on forums from people who've seen Fibrecity vans around Bournemouth and Dundee.

lloydio
14-12-2009, 23:01
I seen a Fibrecity van on Sunday night at about 7.30 in the Little down area about 2 weeks ago and last Friday a Fibrecity van in Winton.

Also know I someone who works at a business along Ringwood road and he was saying that they had been working there for about a week, evenings and even Sunday digging up road etc.. you know near Lidl, Matalan, The Range etc.!

So they are around!

smokedup
05-01-2010, 19:32
Odd RealDiamond I've seen a number of posts on forums from people who've seen Fibrecity vans around Bournemouth and Dundee.

i must admit iv not seen 1 fibrecity van in Dundee. when i first saw about it getting done in Dundee i held off getting 50 meg from virgin cos didn't want tied in for another 12 months in case my bit got done first and that 12 months is now well over! should have done it.

ED209
16-01-2010, 16:32
Well after someone popping around back in September asking where my girlfriend wanted the box fitted and being told it would be done in 4-6 weeks, rather unsuprisingly still nothing, I gave them a call. Was told that the cable would be installed by mid February, so much for 4-6 weeks, but of far more importance was told that there would be no services supplied until SEPTEMBER!

I was also told that there would be an announcement before regarding the services/ISPs available. Now firstly with this being Fibrecity I doubt that there will be any services until this time next year and secondlly in my eyes it makes no commercial sense to have all of the money tied up with the infrastucture for them to have no returns until September.

Hugh
16-01-2010, 17:54
A reminder of post #145, May 15th 2009 on this thread
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of contact lately, have been in Bournemouth recently following up a few things.

@lloydio - We have not yet announced the service providers using the connection at the moment, as soon as I am able to do this I will be sure to post on here for everyone.

@Pierre - There are a number of homes installed as you have mentioned and we should be starting the roll-out in earnest in around 2-3 weeks.

I will post any information that I can as soon as guys.

Regards

Paul

haydnwalker
24-02-2010, 11:41
Further Information: HERE (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4167-1gbps-burst-speeds-for-bournemouth-announced.html)

Hugh
24-02-2010, 12:48
Cool (if true, he says, wearing his Mr Cynical hat).

haydnwalker
24-02-2010, 15:43
I had my cynical hat on too... but ThinkBroadband don't usually speculate with stuff like that (from my experience)

ED209
24-02-2010, 17:02
I found this http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/5024105.High_speed_internet_is_coming__but_your_sm ooth_footpath_may_pay_the_price/?ref=mr on the local newspaper website regarding prices, he states that he thinks that £80 per month would be too much, I hope that this is for a complete package rather than just 100Mbps internet! (Would had put the link in as a desciprion if I knew how,lol)

fireman328
24-02-2010, 20:22
I thought people in Bournemouth all had Zimmer frames !

Haighy
25-02-2010, 08:02
Just read this in the PCPro newsletter.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/355825/gigabit-broadband-arrives-in-the-uk

Fibrecity is set to smash the British broadband speed record, with the launch of a network capable of bursting at 1Gbit/sec.
Fibrecity's network will deliver day-to-day speeds of between 25Mbits/sec and 100Mbits/sec, using fibre laid in Bournemouth's sewer network.
However, one of the three ISPs offering connections on the Fibrecity network, Velocity1, will offer customers bursts of 1Gbits/sec for bandwidth-intensive applications such as downloading HD movies. Customers will get ten free gigabit bursts each month, each lasting for an hour.

Interesting :-)

Maggy
25-02-2010, 08:05
Yes but that's in Bournemouth..:erm:

Thyroid Help
25-02-2010, 08:13
now that gets the mouth watering!!!

Maggy
25-02-2010, 08:16
I thought people in Bournemouth all had Zimmer frames !

Hmm! I must ask Graham M if that's true?;)

Haighy
25-02-2010, 08:57
From little acorns Maggy :-)
If they can do it "now" then it has promise for Virgin, hopefully

---------- Post added at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

Course on another page in that newsletter is this gem :-)

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/355849/virgin-powers-past-bt-with-100mbits-sec-broadband-rollout

Virgin Media will begin rolling out 100Mbits/sec broadband across its network by the end of the year.

hooker1uk
25-02-2010, 09:37
From little acorns Maggy :-)
If they can do it "now" then it has promise for Virgin, hopefully

---------- Post added at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

Course on another page in that newsletter is this gem :-)

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/355849/virgin-powers-past-bt-with-100mbits-sec-broadband-rollout

Virgin Media will begin rolling out 100Mbits/sec broadband across its network by the end of the year.
sky is also trialling 100mb fttc and ftth

BenMcr
25-02-2010, 09:41
sky is also trialling 100mb fttc and ftthLink?

ic2
25-02-2010, 09:44
No link to Sky but this is a press release from VM regarding their 100mb product

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1395257&highlight=

ahardie
25-02-2010, 09:45
sky is also trialling 100mb fttc and ftth

I wonder who will be first to roll 100mb across their network Sky or VM?

The question is though if they will make the necessary improvements to the 50mb network first. Not that I have 50mb myself I'm only going by posts in this forum.

BenMcr
25-02-2010, 09:46
No link to Sky but this is a press release from VM regarding their 100mb product

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1395257&highlight=
I know - there is a seperate thread about the VM announcement- created by me ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33662018-virgin-to-launch-100mbit-product-2010-a.html

Stuart
25-02-2010, 09:46
Virgin will simply point out that fibrecity is only operating in a few towns, and VM are theoretically able to offer speeds nearly as high to around 50% of the country. Much as they are doing with ADSL now.

BenMcr
25-02-2010, 09:48
I wonder who will be first to roll 100mb across their network Sky or VM?
VM will. As far as I know even if Sky are trialling it they will be piggybacking off BT's FTTC rollout - which will do 40Mbit or less for most people

The 100Mbit figure probably comes from Ebbsfleet and Highams Park FTTH (I think)

Spectato
25-02-2010, 09:50
Any rival cable network has to be potentially a good thing for everyone (in the UK).
Let's hope they get enough cash and interest to be able to extend it nationally, if that's the intention.

So is no one going to make the crack about Virgin Media('s cable) having been in the sewer for years?

Graham M
25-02-2010, 09:52
Yes but that's in Bournemouth..:erm:

Yeah but there's a hatch in the street round the corner from me :D

LondonRoad
25-02-2010, 09:53
Hmm! I must ask Graham M if that's true?;)

it's not true. Only the ones who haven't had hip replacements have zimmers.

Graham M
25-02-2010, 09:55
My mum's had a hip replacement... anyway Parts of Bournemouth are full of people in their twilight years, but most of the population is made up by large families and students in general. You are likely to find all, or most of the old people centralised in Westbourne. So there.

ahardie
25-02-2010, 09:56
VM will. As far as I know even if Sky are trialling it they will be piggybacking off BT's FTTC rollout - which will do 40Mbit or less for most people

The 100Mbit figure probably comes from Ebbsfleet and Highams Park FTTH (I think)

That's what I thought in fact I meant it as a rhetorical question. :)

Graham M
25-02-2010, 10:03
I have merged the 2 threads on 100MBit for Bournemouth as they are basically talking about the same thing

ED209
02-03-2010, 17:01
Velocity1 has updated it's webpage with pricing for the Bournemouth Service, little astrix asys excludes £10 a month line rental, still pretty good pricing if you ask me, total cost of £20 month for 100meg line or £40 per month for calls, 100meg and fairly full TV package.
http://www.velocity1.co.uk/products

AdamD
02-03-2010, 18:26
Darn, if only I lived in Bournemouth heh.

RealDiamond
02-03-2010, 19:36
I want it NOW LOL...
er boost downloads 1 Gb holly crap, My Laptop HDD is not Fast enough for 1Gb write speeds yet alone doing it for Transfer of 60mins.
Wonder what the PS3 HDD can go at.
Could not see the UPLOAD speed listed as i expect the bundle option won't be 100/100..

Dai
02-03-2010, 20:53
This is intriguing in the FUP.
"Customers affected by the fair usage policy will share bandwidth with each other and will be separated from other customers. The amount of bandwidth available for affected customers to share, will be at least as much as for those customers unaffected by the policy."

How would they do that?

Ignitionnet
03-03-2010, 14:02
This is intriguing in the FUP.
"Customers affected by the fair usage policy will share bandwidth with each other and will be separated from other customers. The amount of bandwidth available for affected customers to share, will be at least as much as for those customers unaffected by the policy."

How would they do that?

There are several ways but it's essentially a bad boy pipe where all the heavy users can congest one another instead of causing performance issues for others.

These guys will be buying connectivity onto the FTTH network by the gigabit, take the top 5% of customers and give them 5% of the total bandwidth through QoS / Traffic Management, the other 95% are happier, that 5% upset as the usual contention ratio doesn't work for them.

Here's (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/30/plusnet_clampdown/) the first use of it that I'm aware of.

mr_bo
03-03-2010, 14:44
I'm so gutted I live just 2 streets away from this, that velocity1 deal looks so sweet, £62 all in :(

*sloman*
04-03-2010, 22:17
I'm so gutted I live just 2 streets away from this, that velocity1 deal looks so sweet, £62 all in :(

fill out the form on their site for a quote, if you are only a couple of meters away hopefully it wont be too much to splice the fibre and run to your home????

mr_bo
04-03-2010, 22:40
fill out the form on their site for a quote, if you are only a couple of meters away hopefully it wont be too much to splice the fibre and run to your home????

I'm BH119XX in Poole and not BH119XX Bournemouth, just inside the Poole boundry.

Rik
04-03-2010, 23:04
There are several ways but it's essentially a bad boy pipe where all the heavy users can congest one another instead of causing performance issues for others.

So would this be a VLan type scenario?

Ignitionnet
05-03-2010, 09:11
So would this be a VLan type scenario?

As oer several ways ;)

If the peeps are using PPP to log in so terminating on a BRAS could pop them all into their own IP range and rate limit that range by IP, if using DHCP and straight Ethernet could isolate them in their own VLAN, if using any of the above and in possession of a DPI appliance could use that instead.

RealDiamond
08-03-2010, 14:10
As oer several ways ;)

If the peeps are using PPP to log in so terminating on a BRAS could pop them all into their own IP range and rate limit that range by IP, if using DHCP and straight Ethernet could isolate them in their own VLAN, if using any of the above and in possession of a DPI appliance could use that instead.

Is that how they do the boost down loads for 10 times a month. Just divert you to another Network area Or is it just an auto speed limit over ride so there networK just has enough Speed For every one when they all hit Boost on Thursdays at 5pm in Bournemouth. As every PS3 owner would use it for Demo Downloads...

peterlovenoise
15-04-2010, 20:19
Hi all,

Just found this thread and am looking to spread the word. I have the fibre 100 in my house and it is every bit as good as advertised. Very keen to go into any detail if anyone wants to know more.

So far, very impressed.

NoxBlade
15-04-2010, 20:36
peter can you do a speedtest for us?

whats your upload speed ? :P

GhostMjr
15-04-2010, 21:02
cool, got any photos?

:D

Pazzallo
16-04-2010, 11:58
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Hello Paul.
I live in the BH11 postcode and Fibre City have laid the cable and connected to my house - I now have the cable and connection box on the outside - I am not living in the property but will be moving in in May - can you tell me what I need to do now to get connected? I am presently with 02 mobile and they also do an Internet provider service which seems very good price but i am not sure if you are working with them as a provider? A bit of advice would be much appreciated please - thanks, Richard, Bournemouth.

peterlovenoise
19-04-2010, 15:23
Hi guys,

I will get a speedtest tonight when I'm at home and forward over, I've got quite a blurry picture of the device they put in so will attach that too.

RealDiamond
19-04-2010, 20:45
Woot. I finaly seen a fibre city car around bournemouth and

yes they would have to park right out side me front door Ha Ha.

NoxBlade
19-04-2010, 23:40
Hi guys,

I will get a speedtest tonight when I'm at home and forward over, I've got quite a blurry picture of the device they put in so will attach that too.

nice one peter looking forward to seeing your test :D

lloydio
20-04-2010, 10:47
nice one peter looking forward to seeing your test :D

me too!

ED209
20-04-2010, 20:35
Peter,

Firstly may I congratulate you, you jammy Bar Steward,lol! Which BH area do you live as I am in BH11 and have a cable connected to my house and to the rest of the street for a at least 2-3 weeks and still have heard nothing, I'm glad that some people are getting from where I am to some thing that works!

Another question, I assume from what you posted that you picked the Fibreband 100 and I wonder why at £50.00/month when for £30.00/month the Velocity1 Big Bundle seems to give the same internet speed (with 1Gbps boosts) same No. of TV channels and phone, did I miss something? I ask as when I am finally connected that is what I was thinking of getting, well with the £10 add on for the extra channels (The only thing I can see is that Fibreband actually tell you what upload speed you will get of 10Meg)

Cheers