PDA

View Full Version : ADSL setup - RJ11 extension cable from filter to modem

Noggo
07-05-2008, 13:28
Hi,

Currently setting up a neighbours ADSL and the way the phone extension sockets are run means that ADSL only works pluged directly into the master socket via the spliter/filter.

My question is would buying a 10m RJ11 extension cable to go from master socket (ADSL filter/spliter) to the modem upstairs resolve this or is 10 meters to long to a RJ11 extension running ADSL.

Like this one:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36282&criteria=rj11%20extension&doy=7m5

TIA

southwell
07-05-2008, 13:38
It would probably work, you may get a reduced speed though.
Personally i would put the modem by the master socket and run an RJ45 cable, but that's just me. ;)

Noggo
07-05-2008, 14:00
Can't get any worse that Tesco 512K unlimited. Although it does say Virgin Media according to speedtest.net webby and when it's connected via master socket it does get 500Kbps throughput whoohoo.

Beats my 20M XL handsdown, when I get around 250Kbps on the weekend (Drat! And Double Drat!)

Muttley! Doooooo sooomethiiiiiinnnggg!

greencreeper
08-05-2008, 00:46
As southwell says, buy a short cable, move the modem next to the socket, and run Cat5 to the PC - Ethernet being a better traveller than an ADSL signal... Could even run Cat5 to an RJ45 socket upstairs, and connect the PC to the socket - bit neater.

Noggo
08-05-2008, 09:00
Thanks for the replies.

Done it with RJ11 extension cable in the end, as modem is cheap USB speedtouch one. No drop off in speed still running around 60KB/s (490 ish Kb/s), which isn't bad as it was 500 kb/s when connected direct into master socket with 2m cable.

Got to laugh though. My neighbour had the Tesco broadband as birthday present from is son who works in IT. I would have thought he would have looked in the BT extension socket wiring, as it needs a total rewire IMO (the sockets are here, there and everywhere) and got him one with a free wireless modem router package.