PDA

View Full Version : Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

info4u
07-05-2008, 10:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7384928.stm

Free satalite TV due to launch to improve the service of Freeview with 80 channels to start and expected to change to 200 by the end of the year

Virgin Media and Sky might find this difficult to compete with, specially since stb and installation looking at about £45.00 or £120.00 for HD STB

GeoffW
07-05-2008, 13:08
Where was the hype, the details of receivers the program rollout plans etc etc..

Worst launch ever.....

frogstamper
07-05-2008, 14:27
This certainly merits a closer look, a one off payment of £120 for a HD stb, with BBC HD and ITV HD and no doubt C4 and C5 to follow. I can see now why Neil Berkett said VM doesn't need HD channels, I mean why pay VM when they come free with free-sat, add to this the cou de gras of withholding the content from Murdoch and the service seems a winner. If VM hope to keep their TV subscribers they are certainly going to need to up their game.

cimt
07-05-2008, 14:43
Interesting... Looking at the epg list it's worth it.

TraxData
07-05-2008, 16:43

You can get all the FTA channels if you do a manual scan (286 channels roughly)

They will make their way to the EPG sooner or later...but its good if you want them now.

This was one royal cockup of a launch though...nobody had the boxes in stock, the ones that did had the boxes which were withdrawn etc.

gadge
07-05-2008, 19:29
The humax is a cracking box got one yesterday.

Tezcatlipoca
07-05-2008, 21:41
add to this the cou de gras of withholding the content from Murdoch and the service seems a winner.

... not just withholding it (ITV HD) from Murdoch & therefore any Sky subscribers... they're also withholding it from anyone using a Sky HD box as a FTA/FTV box (i.e. people who use Sky for "Freesat from Sky" & don't pay Sky subs), and also withholding it from anyone with *any* non-Freesat HD STB (i.e. anyone with a non-Sky FTA HD STB).

Still, it's ITV, so will most likely be crap (in both picture quality & in programme quality) ;)

Hiroki
07-05-2008, 22:33
It looks like an interesting concept and reminds me of the old sky analogue days....only thing that troubles me is the lack of content and the fact that it's all available on free from sky.

I might buy one when there is more HD content because at the moment nobody in my house watches any of the BBC, ITV or C4 stations :td:

andygrif
08-05-2008, 11:03
This certainly merits a closer look, a one off payment of £120 for a HD stb, with BBC HD and ITV HD and no doubt C4 and C5 to follow. I can see now why Neil Berkett said VM doesn't need HD channels, I mean why pay VM when they come free with free-sat, add to this the cou de gras of withholding the content from Murdoch and the service seems a winner. If VM hope to keep their TV subscribers they are certainly going to need to up their game.

I think it's very early days yet, but you're right this could be a significant challenge to pay-tv.

In terms of HD offerings, there's only BBC HD and ITV HD - although it's unclear at this stage how much stuff ITV is broadcasting in HD anyway. It's expected that ITV HD will make its way to other platforms in time, but for now it's exclusive to FreeSat.

If a few more channels start to add HD content into the FreeSat lineup then this will be a big challenger to Sky HD and would appeal to the majority of people who watch the mainstream channels but don't want to pay an extra £120 per year for a subscription to a few HD channels.

I hope that Sky will drop it's HD subscription, but I don't really think FreeSat is compelling enough at this stage to convince them to do so....yet.

TraxData
08-05-2008, 18:52
I think it's very early days yet, but you're right this could be a significant challenge to pay-tv.

In terms of HD offerings, there's only BBC HD and ITV HD - although it's unclear at this stage how much stuff ITV is broadcasting in HD anyway. It's expected that ITV HD will make its way to other platforms in time, but for now it's exclusive to FreeSat.

If a few more channels start to add HD content into the FreeSat lineup then this will be a big challenger to Sky HD and would appeal to the majority of people who watch the mainstream channels but don't want to pay an extra £120 per year for a subscription to a few HD channels.

I hope that Sky will drop it's HD subscription, but I don't really think FreeSat is compelling enough at this stage to convince them to do so....yet.

You dont have to pay skys HD subscription to get the HD channels (par from discovery/movie HD chans)...if you look on the sky site, although its well hidden, it does tell you how to view the free HD channels.

andygrif
09-05-2008, 01:17
You dont have to pay skys HD subscription to get the HD channels (par from discovery/movie HD chans)...if you look on the sky site, although its well hidden, it does tell you how to view the free HD channels.

You can get C4 and BBC HD free on Sky HD (without a sub), and perhaps a couple of others that I don't know about....but if you're having an HD box then you'll want to receive all the channels available right? That's what I object to paying £120 a year for personally - especially as we don't have the movies or sports channels either.

Tezcatlipoca
09-05-2008, 02:31
but if you're having an HD box then you'll want to receive all the channels available right?

I've got a Sky HD box, but don't bother with the Sky HD subscription.

Just got a normal basic 2 mix package.

Don't see it as being worth £10/month just to watch a few US shows in HD on Sky 1.

Although if I thought the Sport & Movie channels were worth having, maybe I'd think otherwise & pay for the HD sub.

I got my box for roughly just over half what Sky charge, via eBay, & think it was quite a good price for double the space of a Sky+ box, plus BBC HD & C4 HD, plus upscaling over HDMI of the SD channels.

Losttheplot
09-05-2008, 08:26
You can get C4 and BBC HD free on Sky HD (without a sub), and perhaps a couple of others that I don't know about....but if you're having an HD box then you'll want to receive all the channels available right? That's what I object to paying £120 a year for personally - especially as we don't have the movies or sports channels either.
C4 HD is encrypted so you need a smartcard at least.

the-cable-guy
09-05-2008, 12:40

its the same channels that have always been free at 28 East.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

C4 HD is encrypted so you need a smartcard at least.

Channel 4 & five wont work with freesat as they dont have Videoguard cams. however Channel 4 are rumoured to be going FTA by the end of the year. the FTA feed for Channel 4 has now been replaced with E4.

Losttheplot
09-05-2008, 12:45
its the same channels that have always been free at 28 East.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Channel 4 & five wont work with freesat as they dont have Videoguard cams. however Channel 4 are rumoured to be going FTA by the end of the year. the FTA feed for Channel 4 has now been replaced with E4.

They will work with Freesat from Sky as they use Sky boxes. C4 HD though I'm not sure if that will work with a HD box without a HD subscription. Sky do their encoding muxing and encryption for the HD service.

the-cable-guy
09-05-2008, 12:47
yep if you have a Sky Digibox & a FTV card it will work, as will Channel 4 HD. however as i say freesat receivers dont have a Videoguard cam, so until Channel 4 & five go FTA you wont get them.

andygrif
10-05-2008, 10:47
I got my box for roughly just over half what Sky charge, via eBay, & think it was quite a good price for double the space of a Sky+ box, plus BBC HD & C4 HD, plus upscaling over HDMI of the SD channels.

How do you find the upscaling? Is it better on SD channels than letting the TV do it? To be honest, this was the real issue for me in getting an LCD panel - as the SD TV quality is so poor compared to my lovely big Sony CRT.

the-cable-guy
10-05-2008, 11:58
iv always wondered this also.

Chris
12-05-2008, 19:55
I'm planning to get the Panasonic HD telly with integrated Freesat for Christmas. :D

Tezcatlipoca
12-05-2008, 22:57
How do you find the upscaling? Is it better on SD channels than letting the TV do it? To be honest, this was the real issue for me in getting an LCD panel - as the SD TV quality is so poor compared to my lovely big Sony CRT.

IMO, using my equipment (now 17 month old Samsung R7 HD Ready TV), & my eyes... Yes, the Sky HD box does a *very* good job of upscaling SD channels.

Looks better using my Sky HD over HDMI with upscaling enabled, than letting the TV handle it, & certainly much better than using my old Sky box hooked up via RGB SCART. Also much better than the built-in Freeview's PQ.

andygrif
13-05-2008, 11:19
IMO, using my equipment (now 17 month old Samsung R7 HD Ready TV), & my eyes... Yes, the Sky HD box does a *very* good job of upscaling SD channels.

Looks better using my Sky HD over HDMI with upscaling enabled, than letting the TV handle it, & certainly much better than using my old Sky box hooked up via RGB SCART. Also much better than the built-in Freeview's PQ.

Excellent, thanks Matt :)

Berealwith
16-05-2008, 00:14
This will blow all the others away.............It's out in June.......just read the spec

All Panasonic Freesat models are supplied with HD & SD Digital Satellite, SD Digital Terrestrial and SD Analogue Terrestrial Tuners with easy user navigation between Freesat, Freeview and analogue terrestrial services.

These sets also come equipped with a LAN Connector for connection to a broadband router, enabling internet connection for future service enhancements. (Suitable broadband router and contract with an Internet Service Provider (ISP) will be required - not supplied).

All of Panasonic’s PZ81 models benefit from an optical output for Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound output for connection to a 5.1 channel amplifier, so that viewers can enjoy a home cinema surround sound experience.**

For ease of use, the TVs come with Freesat EPG and Gemstar GUIDEplusâ„¢, 7-day on-screen electronic programme guides with easy to navigate categories for both satellite and terrestrial digital services. Another easy operation innovation is Enhanced Viera Link, which allows interlinked operation of various Panasonic AV devices using only the Viera remote control, by simply connecting the devices to each other by an HDMI cable. The PZ81 also benefits from 3 HMDI Connectors

Linky http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/733435/index.html#anker_733435

I want one.......It has lan connector, and a SD Card slot

the-cable-guy
16-05-2008, 01:27
? how much are those going for do uno ?

Chris
16-05-2008, 19:35
That telly is on my Crimbo list. Here's a picture of it from the Freesat Press launch:

http://www.ukfree.tv/freesatkey/panasonic%20integrated%20freesat%20tv.jpg

The picture was taken by the bloke who runs www.ukfree.tv (http://www.ukfree.tv), which has been consistently the best place for news about Freesat since long before the launch.

The Freeview-only Pannys with a similar spec to this are going for about £600 in John Lewis. I expect the bells and whistles will add another couple of hundred. I reckon it will be worth it, I want a simple set-up in the corner of my room with no STBs and no cables trailing all over the place.

The only thing I want to know is, will it be wireless LAN enabled or will it need a cable ... in which case I'll be looking into getting a wireless adapter for mine, so we can make use of the iPlayer functionality that's being built into the Freesat spec.

the-cable-guy
16-05-2008, 23:09
yes thats correct, however all Channel 4 channels are now FTA, if you manually tune them in on a Sky receiver. i dont have HD myself but others have said that with a FTV card they get Channel 4 HD without paying a subscription.

Chris
16-05-2008, 23:19
I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority of Sky's customers don't even know you can manually tune the box, and wouldn't want to try even if they did know how.

It is inevitable that, over time, a lot of channels that are currently encrypted will go FTA. This will be thanks first to the BBC who used their muscle to get one of the Astra transponders refocused on the UK only (thereby solving rights issues), then with ITV formed a marketable, alternative proposition to Sky. It becomes worthwhile for other channels to make the jump to FTA and to develop interactive services if they think someone is actually watching. Which wasn't happening before, because until now FTA DVB-S boxes have been a hobbyists product available in Maplins, rather than a consumer product available in Currys and John Lewis.

Hands up who thinks C4's channels, and Five's, later this year, would have gone FTA if it hadn't been for Freesat?

Sky are doing nobody any favours here. Any benefit anyone is getting from this is because of the existence of Freesat. This is what happens in a market where there is a choice, rather than a single supplier calling all the shots.

Some things the Sky STB spec doesn't have:

- Ethernet, therefore no possibility of a broadband return path and therefore nothing even close to VOD from the iPlayer or 4OD
- ITV HD (not something I'm enthused about personally, but each to their own)
- Integrated TV/receiver equipment

the-cable-guy
16-05-2008, 23:33
? how are they doing no one any favours ? Channel 4 have a contract with Sky concerning the encryption of their channels (as five do) & to be fair you cant expect Sky to waver this because BBC & ITV have released an EPG. most ppl that i know (who are not technically minded) know how to add other channels & if their subscribing to Sky or have a FTV viewing card then why would they care when their getting those channels already ? also none of those integrated/ethernet enabled tv's/receivers are on the market yet so you cant compare Sky's equipment to equipment that isint even available yet.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

for anyone that doesnt know how here is a guide on how to add other channels on Sky: http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyITV.htm ignore the bit about ITV, which is out of date but how to add other channels isint.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

& heres tuning details for Channel 4's FTA feeds:

Channel 4: http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=channel+4&standard=All&filtre=Clear

More 4 & More 4 + 1: http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=more+4&standard=All&filtre=Clear

E4 UK & E4 UK + 1: http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=e4&standard=All&filtre=Clear

Film 4 & Film 4 +1 (which are FTA anyway so viewers with Sky receivers dont need to manually tune the Film 4 channels in): http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=film4&standard=All&filtre=Clear

Chris
17-05-2008, 01:09
? how are they doing no one any favours ? Channel 4 have a contract with Sky concerning the encryption of their channels (as five do) & to be fair you cant expect Sky to waver this because BBC & ITV have released an EPG. most ppl that i know (who are not technically minded) know how to add other channels & if their subscribing to Sky or have a FTV viewing card then why would they care when their getting those channels already ? also none of those integrated/ethernet enabled tv's/receivers are on the market yet so you cant compare Sky's equipment to equipment that isint even available yet.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

for anyone that doesnt know how here is a guide on how to add other channels on Sky: http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyITV.htm ignore the bit about ITV, which is out of date but how to add other channels isint.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

& heres tuning details for Channel 4's FTA feeds:

Channel 4: http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=channel+4&standard=All&filtre=Clear

More 4 & More 4 + 1: http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=more+4&standard=All&filtre=Clear

E4 UK & E4 UK + 1: http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=e4&standard=All&filtre=Clear

Film 4 & Film 4 +1 (which are FTA anyway so viewers with Sky receivers dont need to manually tune the Film 4 channels in): http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=film4&standard=All&filtre=Clear

Not very long ago, none of the 'main' UK channels, including the BBC, were FTA. All of them were paying Sky for encryption services and the *only* way to get any of them via satellite in the UK was to pay Sky for a subscription. This has entirely changed, *because* of moves made by the BBC and ITV and now Freesat. Sky has responded to the competition and the result is, it is no longer necessary to pay Sky to get the main UK channels by satellite.

I hear what you're saying about your mates' ability to tune their own STBs but I'm not convinced that your circle of friends and acquaintances is anything like a representative sample of UK households, so it doesn't prove anything.

The fact that the ethernet kit hasn't come to market yet really isn't relevant - it is not just a theoretical part of the Freeview spec, the kit is coming. That Panasonic TV was demonstrated on launch day and it has scheduled months to go on sale later this year. All they're doing now is manufacturing sufficient stock.

I think you're clutching at straws now: I'm assuming you admit the ethernet functionality and integrated Sat receiver are actually quite nice things to have, and that's why the only thing you can say against them is that they're 'not out yet'. So tell me: which is better, a satellite receiver with a broadband return path for interactive services, or one with dial-up?

the-cable-guy
17-05-2008, 02:31
yes all the UK channels were encrypted however they were FTV & not pay tv, i know cuz when me mam cancelled her subscription when she had Sky many years ago we were still getting all of the UK terrestrial tv channels. its not hard to find the info on how to manually add channels & if theres the ability to do it on freesat receivers then ppl would need to know how to tune to get all of the FTA channels at 28 East. im not clutching at straws its just that you cant compare equipment with equipment that isint even out yet as you havent used it (neither have i). its like saying that a Playstation 3 is better then an XBox 360 before the Playstation 3 had been realised. i cant really answer your question about broadband return paths for interactive services as iv never used anything that has the capability, so id just be guessing if i did ;)

Losttheplot
17-05-2008, 13:44
I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority of Sky's customers don't even know you can manually tune the box, and wouldn't want to try even if they did know how.

It is inevitable that, over time, a lot of channels that are currently encrypted will go FTA. This will be thanks first to the BBC who used their muscle to get one of the Astra transponders refocused on the UK only (thereby solving rights issues), then with ITV formed a marketable, alternative proposition to Sky. It becomes worthwhile for other channels to make the jump to FTA and to develop interactive services if they think someone is actually watching. Which wasn't happening before, because until now FTA DVB-S boxes have been a hobbyists product available in Maplins, rather than a consumer product available in Currys and John Lewis.

Hands up who thinks C4's channels, and Five's, later this year, would have gone FTA if it hadn't been for Freesat?

Sky are doing nobody any favours here. Any benefit anyone is getting from this is because of the existence of Freesat. This is what happens in a market where there is a choice, rather than a single supplier calling all the shots.

Some things the Sky STB spec doesn't have:

- Ethernet, therefore no possibility of a broadband return path and therefore nothing even close to VOD from the iPlayer or 4OD
- ITV HD (not something I'm enthused about personally, but each to their own)
- Integrated TV/receiver equipment

Did the BBC manage to get Astra to refocus a single transponder, or was it a transponder on Astra 2D which has all of its transponders focused on the UK. If a single transponder can be refocused then Astra could do more of them, I don't think they can.

Sky did an integrated TV/receiver in the early days, it didn't prove popular. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather have seperate boxes, if one breaks down I don't then have to replace the whole thing. One last thing, how long do people think it will be before h.264 SD channels will start? Thats a lot of integrated TV's that will need a seperate decoder box. I'm thinking more about the Freeview TV's rather than Freesat, the Freesat ones will have h.264 decoders built in if they can already see BBC HD.

I think Sky are victims of their own success. They have been the only ones willing to spend very significant amounts of money, buying programming and investing in new technology. More HD channels than anyone else in Europe etc, but because they are a company looking to make money people will always be looking to get it cheaper and criticising.

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

yes all the UK channels were encrypted however they were FTV & not pay tv, i know cuz when me mam cancelled her subscription when she had Sky many years ago we were still getting all of the UK terrestrial tv channels. its not hard to find the info on how to manually add channels & if theres the ability to do it on freesat receivers then ppl would need to know how to tune to get all of the FTA channels at 28 East. im not clutching at straws its just that you cant compare equipment with equipment that isint even out yet as you havent used it (neither have i). its like saying that a Playstation 3 is better then an XBox 360 before the Playstation 3 had been realised. i cant really answer your question about broadband return paths for interactive services as iv never used anything that has the capability, so id just be guessing if i did ;)

UKTV are definitely not FTV. A quick check on Sky's packs shows Dave, UKTV Drama and UKTV Gold are in the variety pack for example.

the-cable-guy
17-05-2008, 15:01
the UKTV channels are not UK terrestrial tv channels so wtf are you on about ?

Losttheplot
17-05-2008, 15:08
the UKTV channels are not UK terrestrial tv channels so wtf are you on about ?

Right back at you! WTF?

I know UKTV are not terrestrial, I said that they were in Sky's Variety pack.

the-cable-guy
17-05-2008, 15:11
:LOL: well why did you bring the UKTV channels into what i said then ?

Losttheplot
17-05-2008, 15:19
:LOL: well why did you bring the UKTV channels into what i said then ?

Ahem, Dagnamit!

OK I misread your post I apologise.

I wouldn't mind but I re-read it and still didn't notice till the third time. :dunce:

the-cable-guy
17-05-2008, 15:23
not a problem i just didnt get what you meant from what i said :shrug: anyways dont worry about it :dmonk:

Tezcatlipoca
17-05-2008, 20:03

My Sky HD box has an ethernet port...

Not yet enabled, but it's there for "future use" (VOD, IIRC).

Not very long ago, none of the 'main' UK channels, including the BBC, were FTA. All of them were paying Sky for encryption services and the *only* way to get any of them via satellite in the UK was to pay Sky for a subscription.

I thought that the "main" UK channels (BBC etc.) were FTV, not subscription-only, before they finally went FTA? Encrypted, but no need to pay...

the-cable-guy
17-05-2008, 21:38
I thought that the "main" UK channels (BBC etc.) were FTV, not subscription-only, before they finally went FTA? Encrypted, but no need to pay...

yes thats correct the UK terrestrial tv channels have never been pay tv, ppl are confusing them with the Irish channels :dozey: which are pay tv channels on Sky ;)

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

My Sky HD box has an ethernet port...

Not yet enabled, but it's there for "future use" (VOD, IIRC).

thanks for the info i thought that i had red somewhere that they have an ethernet port, but i wasnt too sure. thanks for clearing that up :tu:

Chris
18-05-2008, 16:01

yes thats correct the UK terrestrial tv channels have never been pay tv, ppl are confusing them with the Irish channels :dozey: which are pay tv channels on Sky ;)

Let's not confuse Free To View (FTV) and Free To Air (FTA). Until the BBC took the initiative and shifted its content to Astra 2D, it was impossible to see their channels on satellite without buying a Sky viewing card.

And until this month, with the launch of Freesat, you still have to have a viewing card from Sky if you want to watch any of the other 'FTV' channels - ITV, C4 and C5. Actually C5 still isn't broadcasting 'in the clear' due to outstanding rights issues.

In all these cases, it is action by the BBC, moving towards a Freesat service, that has brought about change. As of this month, I can view these channels by satellite without paying Sky a penny. Thanks to Freesat. Not thanks to Sky.

thanks for the info i thought that i had red somewhere that they have an ethernet port, but i wasnt too sure. thanks for clearing that up :tu:Not much use when there's no software in the box to do anything with it, though. Unlike the Freesat spec, which has the complete package for manufacturers to build in if they choose - as they have done, and will be selling within 6 months. Like I said, you're really grasping. :dozey:

Losttheplot
18-05-2008, 16:18
Let's not confuse Free To View (FTV) and Free To Air (FTA). Until the BBC took the initiative and shifted its content to Astra 2D, it was impossible to see their channels on satellite without buying a Sky viewing card.

And until this month, with the launch of Freesat, you still have to have a viewing card from Sky if you want to watch any of the other 'FTV' channels - ITV, C4 and C5. Actually C5 still isn't broadcasting 'in the clear' due to outstanding rights issues.

In all these cases, it is action by the BBC, moving towards a Freesat service, that has brought about change. As of this month, I can view these channels by satellite without paying Sky a penny. Thanks to Freesat. Not thanks to Sky.

Not much use when there's no software in the box to do anything with it, though. Unlike the Freesat spec, which has the complete package for manufacturers to build in if they choose - as they have done, and will be selling within 6 months. Like I said, you're really grasping. :dozey:

ITV has been FTA for a long time now.
Sky had integrated TV's when they first launched digital - they didn't take off.

There are no channels currently available on Freesat which aren't currently available on a Sky box, without a smartcard. For now I'd stick with a Sky box cheap from ebay.

Tezcatlipoca
18-05-2008, 16:32

I'm not confusing anything ;)

You said "the *only* way to get any of them via satellite in the UK was to pay Sky for a subscription."

I pointed out that before they went FTA, they were FTV - which meant that although they required a viewing card, due to being encrypted, they were still "free" & did not require a subscription.

Paying a one-off £20 for a viewing card - or simply using an expired viewing card - isn't the same as having to "pay Sky for a subscription".

the-cable-guy
18-05-2008, 17:27

? how can anyone get confused ? its simple really FTA means that any receiver can view the channels, FTV means that a viewing card & a Videoguard receiver are required but you dont pay a subscription. aswell as getting five's channels you also get Setanta Sports News as it is FTV. the BBC & ITV have been FTA long before freesat ever came along so thats beside the point.

btw ITV is FTA not FTV & it has been for along time as have all of their channels.

Not much use when there's no software in the box to do anything with it, though. Unlike the Freesat spec, which has the complete package for manufacturers to build in if they choose - as they have done, and will be selling within 6 months. Like I said, you're really grasping. :dozey:

again you cant compare equipment that isint even out yet as no one (other then testers/engineers etc) has used it.

Chris
18-05-2008, 18:15
? how can anyone get confused ? its simple really FTA means that any receiver can view the channels, FTV means that a viewing card & a Videoguard receiver are required but you dont pay a subscription. aswell as getting five's channels you also get Setanta Sports News as it is FTV. the BBC & ITV have been FTA long before freesat ever came along so thats beside the point.

btw ITV is FTA not FTV & it has been for along time as have all of their channels.

Again, you're - mistakenly - equating your own expert knowledge of this subject with that of the man in the street. The difference between free-to-air and free-to-view is not plain and obvious, unless you have a certain amount of background understanding in this area.

Sadly your expertise in the technical side of this subject doesn't extend to the communication of it to the non-technical public. But as I said earlier, that's why you're an installer, not a marketeer.

again you cant compare equipment that isint even out yet as no one (other then testers/engineers etc) has used it.

Again, you can. It's simple. It goes something like this:

The Freesat spec, as published to hardware manufacturers, includes both ethernet connection and software in the box to drive it.
The Sky spec, as published to hardware manufacturers, specifies an ethernet connection (for the HD box only, so far as we know) but there is currently no software to drive it.

And why are you speaking as if only a handful of developers have ever had their hands on this, when the Panasonic freesat-integrated HDTV, with ethernet, was demo'ed to a room full of journalists at the Freesat launch the other week? It's not still in development, it's a finished product that is being manufactured ahead of a launch that will begin with their plasma range as early as next month. As stated on their own website: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/711712/index.html#anker_711712

Oh, I'm forgetting, the option of an integrated TV set and a working ethernet port sort of blows your Freesat-offers-nothing-new argument out of the water, just a little bit. That'll be why you're scrabbling about for spurious reasons not to include those inconvenient facts in your comparison of the two services. ;)

the-cable-guy
19-05-2008, 19:09
? how is knowing the difference between FTA & FTV expert knowledge ? iv already explained about comparing equipment that has not been released yet.

Losttheplot
19-05-2008, 19:38
I can't understand how having an ethernet port makes Freesat cutting edge?

the-cable-guy
19-05-2008, 21:02
me either but Chris T seems to think that its the best thing ever lol also the hardware is what enables it, not freesat & the ability have been available for some time, as its nowt to do with freesat its to do with the hardware.

tweetypie/8
20-05-2008, 14:04

Free satalite TV due to launch to improve the service of Freeview with 80 channels to start and expected to change to 200 by the end of the year

Virgin Media and Sky might find this difficult to compete with, specially since stb and installation looking at about £45.00 or £120.00 for HD STB

interesting !! but i think i will wait and see the results and comments.

the-cable-guy
20-05-2008, 14:11

installation is £80 on top of that so your wrong there.

bonehead
21-05-2008, 18:32
just read the above posts i wasnt aware that freesat had started yet,well done to them
my question is could i use my sky dish and lnb with freesat box been looking at humax box
cheers

Acathla
21-05-2008, 18:42
yes you can use your sky dish - saves you an £80 installation charge!

the-cable-guy
21-05-2008, 19:20
just read the above posts i wasnt aware that freesat had started yet,well done to them
my question is could i use my sky dish and lnb with freesat box been looking at humax box
cheers

? have you still got your Sky receiver ?

Chris
21-05-2008, 20:41
cheers

Yes, you can.

Ditch your Sky box if you still have it - you might be able to flog it on eBay. Then wait a couple of months until the HD Freesat boxes with ethernet connectivity start to appear. These boxes have a higher spec than the Sky ones and will future-proof your TV viewing.

Losttheplot
22-05-2008, 01:11
Anyone watch ITV HD tonight? It was only available on receivers where you can specify what PIDs to use. 10Mb/s Sport and HD don't really go together well, picture wasn't the best. It was also upconverted.
ITV HD seem also to have switched to 3/4 resolution (1440 rather than 1920).

Chris
22-05-2008, 10:21
Anyone watch ITV HD tonight? It was only available on receivers where you can specify what PIDs to use. 10Mb/s Sport and HD don't really go together well, picture wasn't the best. It was also upconverted.
ITV HD seem also to have switched to 3/4 resolution (1440 rather than 1920).

They are still pre-launch, which means you're viewing test transmissions - I doubt what you're seeing now will bear much resemblance to the final product.

In any case, ITV is planning to offer its HD content as a red-button option when the SD equivalent is broadcast on ITV1, rather than on a separate channel number, so when it comes to it you won't need to worry about tuning your receiver.

Losttheplot
22-05-2008, 14:50
They are still pre-launch, which means you're viewing test transmissions - I doubt what you're seeing now will bear much resemblance to the final product.

In any case, ITV is planning to offer its HD content as a red-button option when the SD equivalent is broadcast on ITV1, rather than on a separate channel number, so when it comes to it you won't need to worry about tuning your receiver.

I beg to differ, unless they manage to get some extra bitrate allocated to ITV HD then theres not a lot extra they can do to improve the picture quality especially for Sport.
I won't be buying a Freesat box.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Yes, you can.

Ditch your Sky box if you still have it - you might be able to flog it on eBay. Then wait a couple of months until the HD Freesat boxes with ethernet connectivity start to appear. These boxes have a higher spec than the Sky ones and will future-proof your TV viewing.

Sorry Chris, but what will this ethernet port on the box offer the consumer?

JediMaster
22-05-2008, 15:14

Does this require a Twin LNB & 2x Cables from Dish to PVR? My old Sky Box has 1 Cable (but dish has 4x LNB as I have "Sky FreeSAT" in 2 Rooms in the house)

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 15:50
it requires either a dual or quad lnb & two cables for any PVR whether its a Sky + receiver or not. also i already answered your question in this post before, why ppl dont search before they post i'l never know :rolleyes:

Chris
22-05-2008, 16:07
Does this require a Twin LNB & 2x Cables from Dish to PVR? My old Sky Box has 1 Cable (but dish has 4x LNB as I have "Sky FreeSAT" in 2 Rooms in the house)

The way satellite TV in the home works is that every individual receiver requires its own LNB at the dish. A PVR has 2 or 3 receivers built in, so requires 2 or 3 receivers. AFAIK you can't buy tri-LNBs, which is why for a three-receiver box like Sky Plus (which lets you watch one channel and record two more) you need a quad-LNB.

JediMaster
22-05-2008, 17:35
it requires either a dual or quad lnb & two cables for any PVR whether its a Sky + receiver or not. also i already answered your question in this post before, why ppl dont search before they post i'l never know :rolleyes:

Yawn... Pot Calling AGAIN (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34554429-post36.html)? :p: Why have Ethernet Port, the Answer posted for Sky & obvious its same fore FreeSAT & yet you harp on & on about Chris T. Practise what you Preach lol

Anyway, anyone OTHER than the-cable-guy. How would one connect an extra cable (to make it 2x core cable to dish)? Dont want to move dish lol.

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 17:48
simple then you connect another two runs of cable to your PVR/Sky + receiver. whether you want to take my advice or not is upto you & if you dont believe me there are many guides on the internet, which back what iv said up. btw you dont have to move your dish at all.

Chris
22-05-2008, 17:51
Yawn... Pot Calling AGAIN (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34554429-post36.html)? :p: Why have Ethernet Port, the Answer posted for Sky & obvious its same fore FreeSAT & yet you harp on & on about Chris T. Practise what you Preach lol

Anyway, anyone OTHER than the-cable-guy. How would one connect an extra cable (to make it 2x core cable to dish)? Dont want to move dish lol.

If you have a mono-LNB on your dish, and you want to install a quad-LNB, then I'm afraid you have to get a ladder out and get up to the dish, where you then remove the old LNB, install the new one, and then run four new lengths of coax down to where you need them. I think you can buy lengths of coax that are already paired so you have less individual lengths of cable to juggle.

Having said that, I'd never recommend working at height unless you're really competent and comfortable up a long ladder - find someone to do it for you and pay them if you have to!

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 17:53
he said that he's already got a quad lnb, so he just needs to add two more runs of cable from the lnb.

JediMaster
22-05-2008, 17:59
he said that he's already got a quad lnb, so he just needs to add two more runs of cable from the lnb.

correct. but is the dish bolted in position? ie if someone goes up and screws in another line of cable or replaces the one to my sky box with a dual cable in one so no new hole to my bedroom is needed, i dont want the dish to move when someone goes up there.

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 18:10
correct. but is the dish bolted in position? ie if someone goes up and screws in another line of cable or replaces the one to my sky box with a dual cable in one so no new hole to my bedroom is needed, i dont want the dish to move when someone goes up there.

ok the simplest way to explain it is that, your lnb has a little plastic bolt on it which fastens it to the end of your dish & is the only thing that you'd need to change (if you were changing your lnb), as your not then no bolts need to be changed or moved & yes your dish is bolted to the wall. all that needs to be done is to add two more runs of cable with some f plugs at either end. one end is twisted onto your lnb & sealed with waterproof tape & the other end is connected to your receiver. the same goes for both runs of cable & thats it ;)

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

just wanna also add that if your dish has been installed properly then it should be very tightly bolted, so it shouldnt move at all unless of course you force it to move. dishes are installed this way to stop them from moving in heavy wind etc.

JediMaster
22-05-2008, 18:52
just wanna also add that if your dish has been installed properly then it should be very tightly bolted, so it shouldnt move at all unless of course you force it to move. dishes are installed this way to stop them from moving in heavy wind etc.

Cheers.... That answers my questions :)

Just 1 point. I saw someplace about a Cable with 2 in 1? So I only need 1 hole in my wall & I get 2x connected? I already have a hole in the wall (for Sky TV) so I could pull it out & replace with a Twin Cable?

What is this Twin Cable called? & I assume I need 2x F Plugs (to go to the Dish) & 2x Males to the STB (if I get BBC/ITV FreeSat

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 19:07
from what i have red that would work as you said yes, however i cant remember what its called sorry. also i have never used those cables myself so i can only go on what i have red, on principle tho it would work as you said.

Losttheplot
22-05-2008, 19:44
The way satellite TV in the home works is that every individual receiver requires its own LNB at the dish. A PVR has 2 or 3 receivers built in, so requires 2 or 3 receivers. AFAIK you can't buy tri-LNBs, which is why for a three-receiver box like Sky Plus (which lets you watch one channel and record two more) you need a quad-LNB.

I'm guessing Chris has me on ignore or simply doesn't want to answer my previous questions about magic ethernet ports.
Somebody point out to him that Sky+ has two tuners so requires two cable feeds from the LNB. It allows you to record two channels whilst watching a previously recorded programme, not a third channel. The playback from its hard disk does not require a tuner.

Chris
22-05-2008, 19:47
I'm guessing Chris has me on ignore or simply doesn't want to answer my previous questions about magic ethernet ports.
Somebody point out to him that Sky+ has two tuners so requires two cable feeds from the LNB. It allows you to record two channels whilst watching a previously recorded programme, not a third channel. The playback from its hard disk does not require a tuner.

Not ignoring you, just misunderstanding Sky's advertising. I always thought the 'record two, watch one' meant the one you were watching could be a live broadcast.

Losttheplot
22-05-2008, 19:49
Cheers.... That answers my questions :)

Just 1 point. I saw someplace about a Cable with 2 in 1? So I only need 1 hole in my wall & I get 2x connected? I already have a hole in the wall (for Sky TV) so I could pull it out & replace with a Twin Cable?

What is this Twin Cable called? & I assume I need 2x F Plugs (to go to the Dish) & 2x Males to the STB (if I get BBC/ITV FreeSat

I think the twin cable is siamese.
You will need two runs, theres no way around it. I'd guess the 2 in 1 device you mention mixes terrestrial frequencies with L band (LNB output) frequencies which are different. Two LNB ouputs are the same range of frequencies so can't share the same cable.

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Not ignoring you, just misunderstanding Sky's advertising. I always thought the 'record two, watch one' meant the one you were watching could be a live broadcast.

Sorry Chris, the question I thought you were ignoring is what Freesats ethernet port provides the consumer. i.e what is it for?

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 19:57

Sky have always advertised them as Losttheplot said.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

I think the twin cable is siamese.
You will need two runs, theres no way around it. I'd guess the 2 in 1 device you mention mixes terrestrial frequencies with L band (LNB output) frequencies which are different. Two LNB ouputs are the same range of frequencies so can't share the same cable.

thanks for the info.

bonehead
22-05-2008, 20:32
yes i still have skybox,just dumped sky tv today,what a job,easier getting shut of a bad cold

Chris
22-05-2008, 20:38
Sorry Chris, the question I thought you were ignoring is what Freesats ethernet port provides the consumer. i.e what is it for?

Sorry, there's more than one Freesat thread going on, I'm getting confused what I've answered where.

The BBC and ITV insisted on specifying an ethernet port so they can offer VOD-like services via the red-button, and a broadband return path which allows good quality interactive applications that don't require a phone line for dial-up.

A version of the BBC iPlayer and the joint-venture equivalent (called Kangaroo, and involving BBC, ITV and C4) are being developed for Freesat.

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 21:09
yes i still have skybox,just dumped sky tv today,what a job,easier getting shut of a bad cold

simple then you can use it to receive the FTA channels & if you keep your viewing card you'l also get the FTV channels ;)

altis
22-05-2008, 21:27
Just 1 point. I saw someplace about a Cable with 2 in 1? So I only need 1 hole in my wall & I get 2x connected? I already have a hole in the wall (for Sky TV) so I could pull it out & replace with a Twin Cable?I remember that, some time ago, there was a device that allowed the signal from two LNBs to pass along the same cable. It worked by shifting the output of one of them to a higher frequency band. This probably caused some attenuation problems! I can't remember what it was called and it seems to have sunk without trace. Far easier, and cheaper, to use two (or one siamese) cables.

Chris
22-05-2008, 21:37
simple then you can use it to receive the FTA channels & if you keep your viewing card you'l also get the FTV channels ;)

Indeed. So long as he's happy with no HD channels and no iPlayer. ;)

Losttheplot
22-05-2008, 21:48
Indeed. So long as he's happy with no HD channels and no iPlayer.
A Sky HD box from ebay will give BBC, Luxe HD (!) and C4 HD once the card is transferred, plus more channels than Freesat (at the moment).
At the moment with Freesat he'd have to be happy with BBC HD and Luxe HD (!)

Chris
22-05-2008, 21:52
A Sky HD box from ebay will give BBC, Luxe HD (!) and C4 HD once the card is transferred, plus more channels than Freesat (at the moment).

True, but very short-term thinking, for a number of reasons:

1. eBay. Would you, really? I've never bought 2nd hand electronics off there and I never would. And I *definitely* would never buy a Sky box off eBay, with the number of viewing card scams that are out there.

2. ITV HD will not be on Sky. Which has p***ed James Murdoch off no end. He don't like it up 'im, Cap'n Mainwaring, Sir!

3. The iPlayer will not be on Sky.

4. Quantity of channels is not an issue, because the channels currently on FreesatfromSky will progressively start appearing on Freesat as and when any rights issues are resolved.

Losttheplot
22-05-2008, 22:04
Sorry, there's more than one Freesat thread going on, I'm getting confused what I've answered where.

The BBC and ITV insisted on specifying an ethernet port so they can offer VOD-like services via the red-button, and a broadband return path which allows good quality interactive applications that don't require a phone line for dial-up.

A version of the BBC iPlayer and the joint-venture equivalent (called Kangaroo, and involving BBC, ITV and C4) are being developed for Freesat.
A Mod should do a Freesat sticky! ;)

OK, I've never ever, used interactive on any platform. I use my STB for TV, and have laptops for surfing the web.

It will be interesting to see whether Freesats MHEG provides a big difference in interactive apps over Sky's (Kudelski supplied) OpenTV, I believe the Freesat EPG is also MHEG.

I also wonder how long Sky's use of the ethernet ports on HD boxes will be away. I know they are looking at using it.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

1. eBay. Would you, really? I've never bought 2nd hand electronics off there and I never would. And I *definitely* would never buy a Sky box off eBay, with the number of viewing card scams that are out there.

2. ITV HD will not be on Sky. Which has p***ed James Murdoch off no end. He don't like it up 'im, Cap'n Mainwaring, Sir!

4. Quantity of channels is not an issue, because the channels currently on FreesatfromSky will progressively start appearing on Freesat as and when any rights issues are resolved.

Theres another way of looking at the ITV HD thing. ITV have deprived themselves of advertising revenue on HD programmes of over 200,000! At this time ITV are also struggling to make money from advertising (they bought Friends Reunited in a failed attempt to find additional revenue sources). I know for a fact Sky offered to provide red button access to ITV HD on their existing system.

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 22:56

plus their cheaper from eBay then direct from Sky.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

unless you make silly mistakes eBay is very safe i got my Sky receiver from eBay with a free viewing card.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Theres another way of looking at the ITV HD thing. ITV have deprived themselves of advertising revenue on HD programmes of over 200,000! At this time ITV are also struggling to make money from advertising (they bought Friends Reunited in a failed attempt to find additional revenue sources). I know for a fact Sky offered to provide red button access to ITV HD on their existing system.

also dont Sky have shares in ITV ?

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

A Mod should do a Freesat sticky! ;)

OK, I've never ever, used interactive on any platform. I use my STB for TV, and have laptops for surfing the web.

It will be interesting to see whether Freesats MHEG provides a big difference in interactive apps over Sky's (Kudelski supplied) OpenTV, I believe the Freesat EPG is also MHEG.

OpenTV is the standard across the world.

Chris
22-05-2008, 23:13
plus their cheaper from eBay then direct from Sky.

unless you make silly mistakes eBay is very safe i got my Sky receiver from eBay with a free viewing card.

I admire your confidence and wish you never to stumble across a less than honest seller.

also dont Sky have shares in ITV ?

They do, although they have been ordered to sell them due to competition issues.

However they don't own enough shares in ITV to force them to provide ITV HD to the Sky platform.

ITV HD will not be provided to Sky until ITV is content that it has gained maximum advantage from having it exclusively on Freesat. Much the same way as Sky has always treated the cable companies with its own new channels really.

OpenTV is the standard across the world.

Open TV is not a standard. It's a widely-used but proprietory system. Freesat uses MHEG because this is the same platform as was deployed for Freeview, making it quicker and cheaper to port interactive content between the two.

the-cable-guy
22-05-2008, 23:21
I admire your confidence and wish you never to stumble across a less than honest seller.

so according to you everyone on eBay is dodgy ?

They do, although they have been ordered to sell them due to competition issues.

thats what i heard also.

Open TV is not a standard. It's a widely-used but proprietory system. Freesat uses MHEG because this is the same platform as was deployed for Freeview, making it quicker and cheaper to port interactive content between the two.

if you research OpenTV you will find that it is the standard.

Chris
23-05-2008, 00:17
so according to you everyone on eBay is dodgy ?

No, don't think I said that.

if you research OpenTV you will find that it is the standard.I have. Even OpenTV refrains from calling its STB software a 'standard'. The company's Wikipedia entry doesn't, either.

If OpenTV doesn't claim it's a standard, and its Wikipedia editor's don't claim it's a standard, perhaps you should do some research ... on the correct use of the word 'standard'?

andygrif
23-05-2008, 01:17

Not necessarily true. At some point in time ITV HD will likely be on Sky and Virgin - it's just not right now. But to say that it will not be on Sky is perhaps a little final?

Same as....

Again, I think when the Sky box has such a capability or is made to open up their platform to third party software or whatever happens next, then iPlayer is likely to appear.

It may not be this year or even next year...but both the above are, IMHO, probable to appear.

Tezcatlipoca
23-05-2008, 02:00

Not everything on eBay is second hand.

Plenty of sellers sell new stuff too.

I bought my Sky HD box - brand new- from eBay for just over half what Sky charge, from a reputable dealer.

Nice & cheap, plus meant I wasn't locked into paying Sky's £10/month HD tax.

the-cable-guy
23-05-2008, 04:58
No, don't think I said that.

you implied it.

I have. Even OpenTV refrains from calling its STB software a 'standard'. The company's Wikipedia entry doesn't, either.

If OpenTV doesn't claim it's a standard, and its Wikipedia editor's don't claim it's a standard, perhaps you should do some research ... on the correct use of the word 'standard'?

try researching a little more then ;)

---------- Post added at 03:58 ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 ----------

Not everything on eBay is second hand.

Plenty of sellers sell new stuff too.

I bought my Sky HD box - brand new- from eBay for just over half what Sky charge, from a reputable dealer.

Nice & cheap, plus meant I wasn't locked into paying Sky's £10/month HD tax.

good point iv brought many items from eBay both new & old for very good places. also sites like Amazon are good & cheap for mostly new items.

Chris
23-05-2008, 17:10
Not necessarily true. At some point in time ITV HD will likely be on Sky and Virgin - it's just not right now. But to say that it will not be on Sky is perhaps a little final?

You might have a point had you not overlooked the fact that I also posted this last night:

ITV HD will not be provided to Sky until ITV is content that it has gained maximum advantage from having it exclusively on Freesat. Much the same way as Sky has always treated the cable companies with its own new channels really.

I very much agree with you, ITV HD will be on Sky eventually ... we just have no idea when. And seeing as Freesat is expected to grow organically (hence the low-key launch) rather than with a quick, rapid uptake, I'd guess ITV will expect there to be reasons *not* to put themselves on Sky for a fair while yet.

Again, I think when the Sky box has such a capability or is made to open up their platform to third party software or whatever happens next, then iPlayer is likely to appear.

It may not be this year or even next year...but both the above are, IMHO, probable to appear.Again, I agree. However, whichever way it plays out, Freesat is a good thing. If Sky is forced to behave in a more open and competitive manner, everyone wins, and it will have been thanks to Freesat acting as a catalyst. As someone pointed out, there are ethernet ports on the back of Sky+ boxes. How long has that been part of the hardware spec? Since launch? How many years ago? And yet they have done nothing about it. To this day, there is no active software loaded into the box that will allow you to connect your Sky+ box to your home LAN.

Sky has become indolent because it doesn't believe it has to innovate to stay ahead of the game. Until now, it was the only satellite game in town. Well, now, there's competition. This is a good thing. And it's thanks to Freesat.

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

you implied it.

If you say so.

try researching a little more then ;)

No thanks. I've quoted two reputable sources which say I'm right and you're wrong - if you still insist you're right, it's your turn to show us some proof.

the-cable-guy
23-05-2008, 17:31
yes i do say so & if you cant search then thats upto you init.

Chris
23-05-2008, 17:33
yes i do say so & if you cant search then thats upto you init.

Whatever you say, chief.

the-cable-guy
23-05-2008, 18:53
yes i do say ;)

bonehead
23-05-2008, 20:10
thank you all for the info. i will try to tune in freesat on skybox for time being,had a look for the humax hd box,no one seems to have any,not a problem yet as i still have 30 days with sky
once again thanks for info,cheers

Losttheplot
23-05-2008, 21:24
I very much agree with you, ITV HD will be on Sky eventually ... we just have no idea when. And seeing as Freesat is expected to grow organically (hence the low-key launch) rather than with a quick, rapid uptake, I'd guess ITV will expect there to be reasons *not* to put themselves on Sky for a fair while yet.

For a company that makes its money selling adverts I can't see how ITV depriving themselves of 200,000 or so Sky HD subs is a good business idea.

Tezcatlipoca
23-05-2008, 21:52
As someone pointed out, there are ethernet ports on the back of Sky+ boxes. How long has that been part of the hardware spec? Since launch? How many years ago? And yet they have done nothing about it. To this day, there is no active software loaded into the box that will allow you to connect your Sky+ box to your home LAN.

Sky HD boxes, not Sky+ boxes.

Sky HD launched two years ago.

But yep, you're right, it still does absolutely nothing at the moment (same as the still unused USB & eSATA ports).

No idea when they'll enable it. The last rumour I read at DS was "late 2007 or sometime in 2008".

the-cable-guy
23-05-2008, 23:58
thank you all for the info. i will try to tune in freesat on skybox for time being,had a look for the humax hd box,no one seems to have any,not a problem yet as i still have 30 days with sky
once again thanks for info,cheers

? what are you on about tuning freesat on a Sky receiver ? other then a few tests & in store & health club radio stations you already have all of the channels ;)

JediMaster
28-05-2008, 12:55
Can someone help with this silly question (I've only ever had a Humax PVR with built in FreeView) had it 3 yrs or so.

I can record a show, watch it & save it & watch it again & again (no issues).

Is this the same on Sky Plus, V Plus & ITV/BBC's New FTV Setup? I was told V+ is watch ones & its Gone?

Any info would be great.

homealone
28-05-2008, 13:06
Can someone help with this silly question (I've only ever had a Humax PVR with built in FreeView) had it 3 yrs or so.

Is this the same on Sky Plus, V Plus & ITV/BBC's New FTV Setup? I was told V+ is watch ones & its Gone?

Any info would be great.

tbh I've never tried it, but I see no reason why 'normal' recorded programs can't we watched as often as you like. It is different for 'on demand' & PPV programs, of course, which is maybe where the confusion is arising??

the-cable-guy
28-05-2008, 16:05

Any info would be great.

for the + features to work on a Sky + receiver you have to pay £10 p/m or have a subscription to any package. also freesat isint FTV its FTA.

JediMaster
28-05-2008, 18:49
tbh I've never tried it, but I see no reason why 'normal' recorded programs can't we watched as often as you like. It is different for 'on demand' & PPV programs, of course, which is maybe where the confusion is arising??

It was Apprentice on BBC (so my Aunt said). V+ Box

for the + features to work on a Sky + receiver you have to pay £10 p/m or have a subscription to any package. also freesat isint FTV its FTA.

I know Sky+ is £10 or any TV Package, just wanted to know is there a Time Limit to saving shows?

the-cable-guy
28-05-2008, 20:04
I know Sky+ is £10 or any TV Package, just wanted to know is there a Time Limit to saving shows?

ok sorry if you mean how long will a recording last on the HDD for ? then forever aslong as you dont delete it or have a HDD failure etc.

Losttheplot
28-05-2008, 20:15
ok sorry if you mean how long will a recording last on the HDD for ? then forever aslong as you dont delete it or have a HDD failure etc.

As long as its not from Box Office, they have a time limit. Also for example if you record a Movie from a sky movie channel, then change your package and drop movies, then you lose the ability to watch that recording. Recordings are encrypted and subscription dependent.

the-cable-guy
28-05-2008, 20:59
ah didnt know that, although i would of thought that you wont be able to record ppv.

Losttheplot
28-05-2008, 21:07
ah didnt know that, although i would of thought that you wont be able to record ppv.

You can but its time limited as far as i remember.

the-cable-guy
28-05-2008, 21:27
well that makes sense after all ppv is normally copy protected.

Losttheplot
28-05-2008, 21:41
well that makes sense after all ppv is normally copy protected.

If you playback any recording on Sky+ it still has the same copy protection on its output as the live event.

the-cable-guy
28-05-2008, 21:49
yeah i thought as much.