PDA

View Full Version : 20meg problem

MarcM
04-05-2008, 17:43
I'll try to describe this as best as I can. I have a problem that after I have left my computer on for a while I can no longer access pages or send messages over msn etc (even though I am still signed in).

I can ping the websites, I just cannot access them in firefox (says "Unable To Connect") or IE. Usually I am still signed into MSN messenger but can't send messages to anyone, even though I can see them sign in, update their names and music, but they can't send messages to me either.

Rebooting the modem does not fix this problem, but rebooting the computer does.

I am using windows vista.

Cheers for any help :)

trevortt
04-05-2008, 17:53
Do you connect direct to the modem?

Have you scanned your computer fr adware, spyware, malware & viruses?

When you leave it running do you use any torrent files open as Vista has a maximum simultaneous half-open (incomplete) outbound TCP connection limit which i think is 10 but could be wrong.

Anyway, when this limit is reached the net will become disconnected or very slow and the only way to regain control again is to reboot.

hktony
04-05-2008, 18:45
if you can ping the websites , it should be a probelms of infected virus / trojan . in your computer .

ceedee
04-05-2008, 19:25
When you leave it running do you use any torrent files open as Vista has a maximum simultaneous half-open (incomplete) outbound TCP connection limit which i think is 10 but could be wrong.

Trevor is (near as damn it) correct.
You'll find a helpful walkthrough to fix this problem in the TorrentFreak article: "Optimize Vista for BitTorrent..." (http://torrentfreak.com/optimize-vista-for-bittorrent-emule-p2ptv/).

trevortt
04-05-2008, 19:59
Trevor is (near as damn it) correct.
You'll find a helpful walkthrough to fix this problem in the TorrentFreak article: "Optimize Vista for BitTorrent..." (http://torrentfreak.com/optimize-vista-for-bittorrent-emule-p2ptv/).

Be careful tho when you disable 'DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS' there is rumors that this can cause some games to cease to work as they think your running emulators on the PC.

MarcM
05-05-2008, 01:16
Do you connect direct to the modem?

Have you scanned your computer fr adware, spyware, malware & viruses?

Anyway, when this limit is reached the net will become disconnected or very slow and the only way to regain control again is to reboot.

Hi Trevor!
I have not scanned my comp, but I will do so tonight and report back in the morning if I find anything.
I do connect direct to the modem, yep.
As for the torrents, to be honest I can't even recall if this happens when I leave torrents open. I tend to stop seeding them once I have equal upload/download, so I don't think this could be a possibility. I will try what you suggested though.

MarcM
05-05-2008, 17:30
To update-
Virus scan showed that my PC was clear.
Problem just happened again at around 5.20pm.
No torrents running.

:/

ceedee
05-05-2008, 17:37
When it happens again (and before you reboot to fix it), try doing a netstat -a and a couple of traceroutes to websites you can't reach in Firefox?

MarcM
05-05-2008, 17:39
When it happens again (and before you reboot to fix it), try doing a netstat -a and a couple of traceroutes to websites you can't reach in Firefox?
okay, will do.

trevortt
05-05-2008, 17:40
Goto start, control panel, admin tools (under classic view) event viewer, right click error, warning & information & view all and is there anything in there that mentions a limit on TCP IP connections? Or, is there any messages around about the time when your net falls.

MarcM
05-05-2008, 17:48
Goto start, control panel, admin tools (under classic view) event viewer, right click error, warning & information & view all and is there anything in there that mentions a limit on TCP IP connections? Or, is there any messages around about the time when your net falls.
hi Trevor, that's a negative. no tcp ip stuff at the time this happened in the event viewer

trevortt
05-05-2008, 17:53
hi Trevor, that's a negative. no tcp ip stuff at the time this happened in the event viewer

Hmm, that would rule out the tcp ip limit being reached then.

When you say you leave the computer and then the net disconnects do you have a screen saver or does it go into suspension?

If so disable both of these.

MarcM
05-05-2008, 17:59
Hmm, that would rule out the tcp ip limit being reached then.

When you say you leave the computer and then the net disconnects do you have a screen saver or does it go into suspension?

If so disable both of these.
Alright, will do. To point out though, when it happened last, I was sitting on MSN and also reading lostpedia

Ed2020
05-05-2008, 17:59
Dammit, I've had this exact same problem and I cannot for the life of me remember what the solution was. I'll post back if and when it comes to me!

Ed.

MarcM
05-05-2008, 18:11
Dammit, I've had this exact same problem and I cannot for the life of me remember what the solution was. I'll post back if and when it comes to me!

Ed.

I really appreciate it Ed!

Druchii
05-05-2008, 18:16
It sounds like the nwtwork card is being allowed to go into low power mode, or even being partially switched off when the computer is idle, this is to save power.

To stop this, click the Start Orb, Right Click on Network and select Properties. In the network and sharing centre on the right, click "Manage Network Connections". Now, select the network connection you are using, and right click on it, then select properties. Now, click "Configure" accepting any warnings that may appear. Under the now Visible "Power Management" tab, deselect the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device". And Click apply. Then Ok. Close all the opened windows we used, and it should be cured. (Reboot the PC to be sure, and see if it works).

Hope this is the cause :)

MarcM
05-05-2008, 19:08
It sounds like the nwtwork card is being allowed to go into low power mode, or even being partially switched off when the computer is idle, this is to save power.

To stop this, click the Start Orb, Right Click on Network and select Properties. In the network and sharing centre on the right, click "Manage Network Connections". Now, select the network connection you are using, and right click on it, then select properties. Now, click "Configure" accepting any warnings that may appear. Under the now Visible "Power Management" tab, deselect the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device". And Click apply. Then Ok. Close all the opened windows we used, and it should be cured. (Reboot the PC to be sure, and see if it works).

Hope this is the cause :)

Hey Druchii!
That box was indeed ticked - lets hope this solves the problem! Thank you very much for your help dude.
On another note that's me finished my first year at uni for computer networking. Hopefully soon I'll be able to help some folks on here too.

ceedee
05-05-2008, 19:26

:clap: Well spotted, mate!

Ed2020
05-05-2008, 20:09
When the problem occurs can you access a site by entering its IP rather than the URL?

Ed.

MarcM
05-05-2008, 20:12
When the problem occurs can you access a site by entering its IP rather than the URL?

Ed.

If/when it happens again I will check for you.
Hopefully the whole power thing will fix it though.

Ed2020
05-05-2008, 20:23
I hope it's that but I don't really understand how you could still ping the websites if this was the cause.

Are you using Avast! or ZoneAlarm by any chance?

Ed.

MarcM
06-05-2008, 00:00
I hope it's that but I don't really understand how you could still ping the websites if this was the cause.

Are you using Avast! or ZoneAlarm by any chance?

Ed.

Hi Ed. No Avast nor ZoneAlarm here mate. Embarrassingly, I get annoyed with firewalls and just turn them off.

Ed2020
06-05-2008, 00:28
Hi Ed. No Avast nor ZoneAlarm here mate. Embarrassingly, I get annoyed with firewalls and just turn them off.

:shocked: Please tell me you at least have Windows Firewall running? Or you're behind a NAT router?

Ed.

MarcM
06-05-2008, 00:57
:shocked: Please tell me you at least have Windows Firewall running? Or you're behind a NAT router?

Ed.

Yeah, I keep windows f/w on. And when I run torrent programs I turn on peerguardian.

Edit: I know as a networking student I /should/ be more security concious, but hey. What can I say? ha.

TraxData
06-05-2008, 00:58
Yeah, I keep windows f/w on. And when I run torrent programs I turn on peerguardian.

Waste of time peerguardian to be honest with you...by time those lists updated all those lovely govt people already have new ips waiting to connect to you anyway.

MarcM
06-05-2008, 01:30
Waste of time peerguardian to be honest with you...by time those lists updated all those lovely govt people already have new ips waiting to connect to you anyway.

Ah well. Not like I download illegal stuff anyway.

hoggie
06-05-2008, 01:47
I'll try to describe this as best as I can. I have a problem that after I have left my computer on for a while I can no longer access pages or send messages over msn etc (even though I am still signed in).

I can ping the websites, I just cannot access them in firefox (says "Unable To Connect") or IE. Usually I am still signed into MSN messenger but can't send messages to anyone, even though I can see them sign in, update their names and music, but they can't send messages to me either.

Rebooting the modem does not fix this problem, but rebooting the computer does.

I am using windows vista.

Cheers for any help :)

next time it all goes slow. check the event logs if you can. and then google any error codes that this shows.
some times this will let you know what happened and how it happened.:D