PDA

View Full Version : Send light on modem stops flashing causing me to d/c

Recluse86
03-05-2008, 03:24
I've been having problems with my VM service for the last few weeks. It will run fine for anywhere between 30 mins - 2 hours, and then all of a sudden I notice the 'send' light my ntl 250 modem just stops flashing. All of the other lights do not do anything different when this happens. Power, sync, ready lights are all constant. Receive and usb lights are flashing (for some reason I've never been able to get the ethernet connection to work with ntl/VM).

Strictly speaking I don't get disconnected in the true sense of the word, my PC still shows the connection as active and the ip address remains the same. However I may as well be disconnected because I can't do anything, can't browse websites, play any games etc.

When I restart my PC, this 'sometimes' solves the problem straight away, but on occasions, it doesn't solve it at all and I may have to wait 30 mins - 1 hour before I can restart and get the connection up and running again.

I've never had these problems before March of this year, it's all just started happening recently and I have no idea what has caused it or what I can do to solve it. The ntl 250 modem I have is still relatively new, I've only had it for a few months and it worked fine until I started encountering the above problems.

Any advice or input would really be appreciated as I'm beginning to think of changing ISPs which I know is going to be a hassle with an ntl phone line...

moaningmags
03-05-2008, 03:58
First thing I would do is ping the modem.

Start > Run > type - cmd - click ok.
In black window type
ping 192.168.100.1 do they time out or do you get results?
Then try
tracert www.bbc.co.uk does it get to the bbc?
Do you see lots of 10 12 9 or do you see * * *

Post the results and someone will take it from there.

HTH
Mags

d123
05-05-2008, 03:00
I am having a similar (but not totally identical) problem. I have the Motorola modem on an old Blueyonder account in the North East. Every now and then the yellow "PC Activity" button stops flashing and stays solid yellow. This started about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but seems to be getting more often. When this happens, even though it looks like I'm still connected I cannot access the internet at all, nor can I check for email. There is zero traffic flow over the connection.

Rebooting the laptop does not clear the problem, the only way to sort it is to turn the modem off at the wall for about 10 seconds and then turn back on.

There is no fixed time that it happens, sometimes it might work for hours, other times we are having to switch the modem off/on every 15 or 20 minutes.

Any ideas?

whydoIneedatech
05-05-2008, 07:45
I am having a similar (but not totally identical) problem. I have the Motorola modem on an old Blueyonder account in the North East. Every now and then the yellow "PC Activity" button stops flashing and stays solid yellow. This started about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but seems to be getting more often. When this happens, even though it looks like I'm still connected I cannot access the internet at all, nor can I check for email. There is zero traffic flow over the connection.

Rebooting the laptop does not clear the problem, the only way to sort it is to turn the modem off at the wall for about 10 seconds and then turn back on.

There is no fixed time that it happens, sometimes it might work for hours, other times we are having to switch the modem off/on every 15 or 20 minutes.

Any ideas?

Your modem requires replacing,ring Tech Support on 0906 212 1111 the call charges should be credited to your account.

If your modem is a SB3100 or SB4100 then it is rather old and does require replacement.

What speed are you supposed to be on?

diggad
06-06-2008, 13:24
guys, im having the same problem...

Im from the south east. this only started happening about a month ago. i thought it was a network problem at first... so called 151 free number and they keep saying that its either my cable, or wireless router.

so.. my current setup is modem, wireless router and the router going into my desktop computer.

the guys from india on the tech support line say its my computer! so i re-installed and updated my drivers and that didnt work.. iv also tried other computers, swapped the network cables around AND connected the modem directly to my PC... and every 3-4 hours or so it cuts out...

virgin said they will send an engineer out and said that if its a fault with my equiptment i.e. wireless router or computer, they will charge me 75 quid!

any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

I have a SB5100 by the way. and its the pc/activity light that should be blinking very fast stays 'still'. only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in.. then 2 hours later... it will do the same!