PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted birthday presents.

punky
02-05-2008, 13:36
I know i'm going to sound horrible here but I need help, i'm feeling sick over this.

My mother lives in America and decided to buy me a Wii for my birthday. Along with 5 games and other accessories.

Now I didn't want one. I didn't ask for one. And now i'm stuck with an American Wii I don't even think I can use. I'm not sure my TV can supports and i'd definite need to fork out for a power adaptor. Selling it is virtually worthless and if I open it and can't get it working, its worth even less. If package it up and send it back it will cost me a fortune to ship, she'll have to pay import duty and she won't get a refund because the amount of time that's passed. Even if I keep it and it works, I still won't be able to play UK games on it and God knows what else. The games I got with it I don't like.

My mum will know this evening I got it, and I really don't know what to do or say. I feel like **** over this. There are so many other things she could have spent the money on :(

Does anyone have any advice?

zing_deleted
02-05-2008, 13:40
Just say thank you mum I love you

punky
02-05-2008, 13:47
That's another thing though, she knows, or should know I don't like big or surprise presents I hate being put into this position, so it makes me angry that way. I know I must sound horrible though :(

I will say thank you and I love her but I can't see her being happy. She's not well off either which doesn't help. :(

zing_deleted
02-05-2008, 13:49
If she didnt want to spend it on you then she wouldnt have done :)

Jules
02-05-2008, 14:15
Looks like you are stuck with it :(

LondonRoad
02-05-2008, 14:48
Suggestion. Love and thanks to Mum (you only get one) . Wii on fleabay. Buy yourself something you want with any dosh recieve.;)

Salu
02-05-2008, 15:25
That's the last time I'm saying "Mum, I need a Wii......"

:)

The Hitman
02-05-2008, 15:27
If you feel that bad. Why I don't know. Why don't you give it away to some childrens cancer charity. I'm quite sure they would get it going and give it to some poor child. Who has not got long to live and let them enjoy themselves. That would make you feel pretty pleased with yourself

webcrawler2050
02-05-2008, 15:57
Personally I would just say thank you. Why make her feel guilty because she bought you something she *thought* you might like.

I am pretty sure you can play UK Games on it. The plug adaparts from American to UK are only 50p from Wilko - hardly call that forking out.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I think its pretty ungratefull to be honest! So you didn't ask for it your mum probably thought ah he is into computers etc and people are talking about this Wii thing ill get him one.

I think thats a loverly gift, think of what she paid for it £200 + Shipping atleast £25 -

Id just enjoy it - and you know, *most* retailers sell NTSC

This has some good answers: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080401024850AA67zJZ

handyman
02-05-2008, 16:13
Won't the little lady play on it, I'm sure she'd like wii sports..

http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-FreeLoader--US-Version__EF000593.aspx

Aside from that, its a standard NTSC console, so if your TV supports NTSC formats (and what tv doesnt these days), it'll be absolutely fine. Even better, just get a component cable if you have the inputs.

As for buying Wii Points, just set your NTSC Wii to 'Brazil' and buy using a UK credit card as normal. Brazil has the same credit card validation checks as the UK. Once that's done, change the country back to USA/Canada again, and associate your Nintendo.com account with it and all your games can then be registered too. Dip back and forth as you need to between Brazil/USA to buy more points. That saves having to import Points Cards in the post.

I'll buy it off you for £50 ;)

zing_deleted
02-05-2008, 17:17
Personally I would just say thank you. Why make her feel guilty because she bought you something she *thought* you might like.

I am pretty sure you can play UK Games on it. The plug adaparts from American to UK are only 50p from Wilko - hardly call that forking out.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I think its pretty ungratefull to be honest! So you didn't ask for it your mum probably thought ah he is into computers etc and people are talking about this Wii thing ill get him one.

I think thats a loverly gift, think of what she paid for it £200 + Shipping atleast £25 -

Id just enjoy it - and you know, *most* retailers sell NTSC

This has some good answers: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080401024850AA67zJZ

wow man wilko do a 220/240 to 120 step down transformer for 50p?

Graham M
02-05-2008, 17:21
PSU might be auto-switching but I couldn't guarantee it! You'd have to look at it

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-05-2008, 17:39
PSU might be auto-switching but I couldn't guarantee it! You'd have to look at it

UK one doesnt so doubt the US one does

punky
02-05-2008, 17:41
Noone needs to make me feel worse about this - I already do.

My problem is what to tell her. If I lie and say its great, thanks, then she could send me more games in the future, and if she finds out I lied and got rid of it, she'd be upset and mad at me. However if I am honest she'll call me ungrateful and still get upset and hate me. So either way, she's going to get upset and it will be on my conscience.

What is the best way to handle it? Lie and avoid making her feel guilty, whilst hoping she doesn't find out (and risk more presents), or just be honest? Seems like two votes for lying, but I really don't want to unless its absolutely necessary.

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-05-2008, 17:42
I am pretty sure you can play UK Games on it.

Not without Freeloader you cant

frogstamper
02-05-2008, 18:29

Excellent advice from zing, Gavin. Ive found the older you get you tend to get more of these sorts of gifts from loving parents who think they are getting you something you'll really like, in my opinion Gavin you'll have to chalk this one up to experience, then when your next birthday is approaching drop a few hints as to what a "friend" has just brought, and how "it" is the latest thing to have. But in the meantime do as uncle zing says,:) thank your mum profusely and tell her you love her, she sounds like a very special mum.:)

PS Could you not tell mum that you or someone else also brought you a Wii?, that way you might be able to send it back to her. She might be able to give it to someone else in the States for a gift, or even sell it.

punky
02-05-2008, 18:54
TBH i'm more worried about what to tell my mum than what i'm going to do with the Wii. I'm going to have to do/say something this evening or tomorrow at the latest.

The trouble is with lying is that i'm not a good liar, so I don't know if I will make it worse. But then again, i'm not too keen on telling the truth. This did happen before and I told the truth as she said she wanted, and it didn't go well. And before it was better because at least she could return the item (still got mad at me for weeks though), whereas with this, I can't. I've spoke to my aunt (mum's sister) and she said tell the truth and just ride it out.

Without going in too much specifics, there's a whole lot going on that you all don't know. My mum and I don't have a good relationship at the best of times and my aunt says the present is because she feels guilty about what's going on. This is going to make it worse.

I just feel sick about it. For all that's gone on, I do love her and don't want to upset her.

zing_deleted
02-05-2008, 19:03
dude your a big cuddly teddy bear lol

homealone
02-05-2008, 19:23
TBH i'm more worried about what to tell my mum than what i'm going to do with the Wii. I'm going to have to do/say something this evening or tomorrow at the latest.

The trouble is with lying is that i'm not a good liar, so I don't know if I will make it worse. But then again, i'm not too keen on telling the truth. This did happen before and I told the truth as she said she wanted, and it didn't go well. And before it was better because at least she could return the item (still got mad at me for weeks though), whereas with this, I can't. I've spoke to my aunt (mum's sister) and she said tell the truth and just ride it out.

Without going in too much specifics, there's a whole lot going on that you all don't know. My mum and I don't have a good relationship at the best of times and my aunt says the present is because she feels guilty about what's going on. This is going to make it worse.

I just feel sick about it. For all that's gone on, I do love her and don't want to upset her.

fwiw I agree with your Aunt, Gav - while the truth may cause you some grief in the short term, it doesn't run the risk of coming back to bite you, and possibly upsetting your mum even more??

Either way, I don't envy you your position but I do think you have to take the action which you will be able to live with - and I'm sure your mum will respect that once the emotional reaction is over with ...

punky
02-05-2008, 20:05
Thanks Gaz, good advice as always :tu:

I'm leaning towards that. While the truth will cause more grief, its probably right in the long run. Still at a loss at exactly what to say though. :(

tweetypie/8
03-05-2008, 22:18

well said zing.:tu:

ikthius
04-05-2008, 11:29
tell her its great and thanks, but you not played it yet cause you need to get convertors for it to work, once you sourced them you will have a go and tell her it was great, cause dude they are great.

even if its just to play the wii tennis or bowling, its fun.

and dude, buy the convertors, and play it. even just have it sitting there cause what if she came over to see you and its not there, would that not hurt more? it does nothing sitting there

ik

hoggie
04-05-2008, 12:21
tough call mate. but explain to your mum the problems with using electrical equipment purchased in the USA in he UK. and then your mum will understand and this problem wont come up again.
My Philips tv supports ntsc using the component input.

your mum will be ok, im sure of that.
and mario kart is great laugh.
best of luck,
Phil:D