PDA

View Full Version : installing modem after pc rebuild

spenandrew
01-05-2008, 14:47
hi guys

i had to reinstall windows, and after changing to 4mb i now use an ethernet cable to connect.

now i can't find my modem usb cable, and of course my modem isn't showing in windows device manager anymore.

i hence can't connect via internet explorer to my modem (via 192.168.0.0)

is there a way round installing your modem without an usb cable

or do i need to purchase a motorola 5100 usb cable from.... somewhere??

LondonRoad
01-05-2008, 14:53
You should be able to connect direct with your ethernet cable. Set your network card to an address in the 192.168.X.X range and you should be able use Iexplorer for web access.

trevortt
01-05-2008, 14:55
Modem in device manager, i never have my modem in the device manager. Are we talking about the same thing!!!

Druchii
01-05-2008, 15:00
hi guys

i had to reinstall windows, and after changing to 4mb i now use an ethernet cable to connect.

now i can't find my modem usb cable, and of course my modem isn't showing in windows device manager anymore.

i hence can't connect via internet explorer to my modem (via 192.168.0.0)

is there a way round installing your modem without an usb cable

or do i need to purchase a motorola 5100 usb cable from.... somewhere??

not, 192.168.0.0

spenandrew
01-05-2008, 15:13
yes my internet works

but i want to have my modem in device manager to update drivers etc...

do you know what i mean?

r00t
01-05-2008, 15:19
The only drivers needed are those when using USB to connect to the modem. If you are using USB drivers and lead to connect to the modem, then they are the only drivers you'll need. No updates are needed.

BenMcr
01-05-2008, 15:25
yes my internet works

do you know what i mean?

If you are using the E-NET then the OS only needs drivers for the E-NET card in the PC. This is why the modem doesn't show up.

It is like plugging headphones into a soundcard ;) You don't need drivers for them but they work anyway.

spenandrew
01-05-2008, 15:47
ok so when i build a new pc with vista, i'm not going to have any issue getting the internet working again without drivers etc...

Druchii
01-05-2008, 15:54
ok so when i build a new pc with vista, i'm not going to have any issue getting the internet working again without drivers etc...
As long as you use Ethernet, then no. I would download drivers for your (new) motherboard on your current PC though, so there will be no problems getting it (the new pc) online.

trevortt
01-05-2008, 16:18
yes my internet works

do you know what i mean?

Don't you mean a firmware upgrade!

The only time i had to update drivers on a modem was when i was back using a 56K Modem, which sat into a PCI Slot on the motherboard.

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Vista unlike XP automatically downloads and installs the required software for your hardware, so by the time your on the desktop it has installed everything for you.

Even tho you're hardware is installed its always best to get the latest version from the manufacturers website as sometimes Vista cannot detect the latest version of driver.

Halcyon
01-05-2008, 17:18
If you have installed Windows you should be good to go.
If you have a setup CD that came with your motherboard pop that in and install any addionnal drivers for your motherboard. Always a good thing to do.

Then turn off everything, plug modem in the back of computer's ethernet socket.
Switch on modem. Leave for 30 seconds.
Then switch on PC. You should be able to browse immediately.
Open bottle of wine, relax.

Graham M
01-05-2008, 17:20
If you plug it into your Ethernet Port, the only drivers you have to worry about are for the Network Interface.