PDA

View Full Version : Quarry tile floor

altis
29-04-2008, 15:45
Anybody renovated a quarry tile floor?

We have one in the kitchen but are considering replacing it. We like the tiles but there are plenty of mis-shapes and all the nooks and crannies hold the dirt. We are just wondering if there are any options to ripping the lot up.

Noggo
29-04-2008, 17:11
Anybody renovated a quarry tile floor?

We have one in the kitchen but are considering replacing it. We like the tiles but there are plenty of mis-shapes and all the nooks and crannies hold the dirt. We are just wondering if there are any options to ripping the lot up.

Never replaced more than a few tiles myself, due to cracking. If you are thinking of giving it a go you'll need to find yourself a good reclamation yard first and find some tiles that are similar to yours.

Breaking into the tile: always work from the center of the tile towards the edges, as you get less damage to the surrounding tiles. Plus take your time, if you go at it like a bull in a china shop you'll loosen the surrounding tiles and end up replacing them as well.

Hope this helps,

Wicked_and_Crazy
29-04-2008, 17:26
Can you get it cleaned and then apply a sealer?

Taf
29-04-2008, 17:45
You could just tile over the top... but that causes the ceiling to get lower :dunce:

SMHarman
29-04-2008, 21:51
You could just tile over the top... but that causes the ceiling to get lower :dunce:But the alternative, pulling it up is going to make a big mess.
As already said you can use chemical cleaning to get back to the original tile then reseal it and enjoy the aged patina of chips and cracks.
You can tile over the top - I imagine it is a sound base.
You can pour latex leveling float across the floor and then put what you want over the top of that.

altis
29-04-2008, 22:15
Thanks for the suggestions guys. We don't want to raise the level or it would be different to the hall. It's a very old house so the tiles are only resting on a couple of inches of cinders over a very sandy soil. They are easy to lift but just look a mess in places.

I think I'll investigate hiring a motorised floor brush or something. I'm sure the hire shop will help.

homealone
29-04-2008, 23:51
Thanks for the suggestions guys. We don't want to raise the level or it would be different to the hall. It's a very old house so the tiles are only resting on a couple of inches of cinders over a very sandy soil. They are easy to lift but just look a mess in places.

I think I'll investigate hiring a motorised floor brush or something. I'm sure the hire shop will help.

'easy to lift' tiles & 'motorised floor brush' sounds like you decided to remove the tiles ;)

- in my opinion, if you want to keep the quarry tiles you will have to re-grout, bearing in mind an hard concrete is recommended, then clean, then seal :)

MovedGoalPosts
30-04-2008, 00:23
If the floor is only on "cinders", not untypical of victorian or earlier property, that doesn't meet modern expectations for damp proofing and the like. You really ought to be thinking of digging out deep enough for a new floor slab with damp proof membrane and then your floor finish of choice.