PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Serivces

James22
29-04-2008, 10:20
Hi Guys

I am trying to get ISA server 2004 working with virgin media. I can leave my external ethernet card on the ISA server picking up the DHCP from virgin but...

I have found this:

"The problem with DHCP is that in order to obtain an address from a DHCP server, the host issuing the DHCP request needs to broadcast the initial request and then accept the first lease offer given to it. These means people with less than good intensions would potentially take advantage of your ISA firewall by putting up a rogue DHCP server and assign your ISA firewall IP addressing information that better serves the intruder’s needs than yours.

In order to mitigate this issue to a certain extent, the ISA firewall sports a DHCP spoof detection mechanism. However, because of how some cable operators and other ISPs work, you might find your ISA firewall’s external interface won’t be able to obtain an IP address from the ISP’s DHCP server. This has caused a legion of ISA firewall admins more pain than they really needed to experience."

You can get around this by using a router using PPPoe but Virgin dont do PPPoe :mad::mad::mad:.

From my understanding they only do dynamic :(:(:(:( or am i wrong :confused::confused:

Thanks in advance

James 22

moaningmags
30-04-2008, 02:48
You're correct, they only do dynamic on residential accounts.