PDA

View Full Version : Whispering grass....?

Vlad_Dracul
27-04-2008, 09:02
Spotted this thread and saw something worthy of wider discussion...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33632181-illegal-cable-box.html

Now then the term "Grass" is one that ultimately was created by criminals and **** to protect their own interests. Its a form of intimidation.

Sometimes you will see graffiti to the effect that someone (name) is a grass,etc etc.

It has become such a part of the British way of life that ordinary people who should have nothing to fear,have it in their psyche that to report crime is grassing and therefore not quite cricket. In some cases they live in fear and tolerate situations often not because of the actual situation but more because they fear being branded a grass.

It is no wonder that we live in a society that is largely governed by self interest,selfishness,greed and alienation.

It isnt a problem in some other countries. I have witnessed situations in other countries where people happily sing like canaries to the police or other authorities and will actually point people out and say yes,thats the man who did x,y,z.

It is only in good old blighty that we cower behind our net curtains and be thankfull that whilst someone else is suffering at the hands of crime and ****,thankfully it isnt me.

No wonder the Police are almost neutered.

Russ
27-04-2008, 09:08
I don't see anything wrong in 'grassing' or whatever. If you have information about a crime, why not report it? I don't see the problem. If the 'grasser' themselves has something to hide then yes they run the risk of being on the recieving end too, so that would be the only time I'd see the risk in doing it.

As for the notion of being a grass means you deserve everything you get, what total and utter rubbish. Criminals don't like getting caught, that's only natural. But perhaps they usually have only themselves to blame?

bopdude
27-04-2008, 09:21
Strange, I thought we were talking about Windsor Davies and Don Estelle :shrug: as for the word grass, IIRC it was used by the criminal gangs to describe one of their own who had talked, not as you say "Now then the term "Grass" is one that ultimately was created by criminals and **** to protect their own interests. Its a form of intimidation. "

So, what your saying is, no matter what the crime, if you know someone who is / has committed an offence, you should 'grass them up' Interesting, you mean you don't know a single law breaker, I'm sure you must, think carefully.

Russ
27-04-2008, 09:27
I'm not saying you 'should' grass them up, I just don't see why people who do it are treated with such distain.

Vlad_Dracul
27-04-2008, 09:38
Strange, I thought we were talking about Windsor Davies and Don Estelle :shrug: as for the word grass, IIRC it was used by the criminal gangs to describe one of their own who had talked, not as you say "Now then the term "Grass" is one that ultimately was created by criminals and **** to protect their own interests. Its a form of intimidation. "

So, what your saying is, no matter what the crime, if you know someone who is / has committed an offence, you should 'grass them up' Interesting, you mean you don't know a single law breaker, I'm sure you must, think carefully.

Well there are two issues here

Who and when to inform on..

the use of the term grass

Russ deals well with the second,i.e why is the term used with such disdain?

The second,well you could go overboard with informing. for example,if i noticed my neighbours tax had run out by a few days or so,i wouldn't feel the urge to inform. If my neighbour was a troublesome parasite who's tax had run out by a month then i would inform. Call it revenge,spite or whatever,i'd say it was more a form of social control,pest control,to prevent certain factions from over-running the rest of us. In a civilised society,we have to have rules and conventions. You are either in or you are out,you cant be in and out.

Enuff
27-04-2008, 09:39
If you believe the Bible, Judas was a grass, he snitched on Jesus.

Vlad_Dracul
27-04-2008, 09:53
If you believe the Bible, Judas was a grass, he snitched on Jesus.

I dont but thinking about poor old Judas' situation,he might well have dobbed JC in because he himself felt fearful and intimidated. It is always more comfortable to be on the winning side and JC and his mates were clearly on a loser at this point. There were no I & D policies in force in the Roman Empire. It was basically a command and control operation. He was probably just covering his own bottom. That's what people ultimately do when their backs are against the wall. Its self preservation. Thats why being an informant is good. You remove the threat and live to fight another day. That's why all honest hard working people should inform. They are ultimately protecting their lifestyle and their childrens' futures from the rise of tyranny.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke

It only takes good men to do nothing for evil to prosper

Enuff
27-04-2008, 10:55
It only takes good men to do nothing for evil to prosperI agree.

Russ
27-04-2008, 11:02
The police found out where Shannon Matthews was being kept by a 'tip-off'. Does that mean the person involved is a 'grass' and should watch their back?

bopdude
27-04-2008, 14:32
The police found out where Shannon Matthews was being kept by a 'tip-off'. Does that mean the person involved is a 'grass' and should watch their back?

That, in my book at least is completely right, can anyone in this thread so far, hold their hand up and say that they don't know or know of a person or persons doing / selling any drugs. I know I can't, does that make me a bad guy for not grassing, I'll let you be my judge.

Russ
27-04-2008, 14:38
That, in my book at least is completely right, can anyone in this thread so far, hold their hand up and say that they don't know or know of a person or persons doing / selling any drugs.

Yes. I don't know of anyone who takes or sells illegal substances. I'm not saying that nobody I know does them, your question was whether I knew of anyone - and whether any of my mates are or not, they don't make it public.

I know I can't, does that make me a bad guy for not grassing, I'll let you be my judge.

I'm not saying keeping quiet neccessarily makes you or anyone a 'bad guy' - more like the other way around, why does being a grass make someone a bad guy?

Enuff
27-04-2008, 14:38
That, in my book at least is completely right, can anyone in this thread so far, hold their hand up and say that they don't know or know of a person or persons doing / selling any drugs. I know I can't, does that make me a bad guy for not grassing, I'll let you be my judge.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Russ
27-04-2008, 14:49
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

If that line is going to be used then at least let it be used in the correct context. We can judge people fairly or unfairly, no other way to it. We can judge people based on their actions ("he sells drugs....she steals cable....they go around beating people up....let's call the police so justice can be served") or our perception of them ("he sells drugs....she steals cable....they go around beating people up...let's call the police because I think they're ****").

Would we 'grass' on someone because you want something done about the crime or because we don't like the person? This is where the true question resides, IMO.

bopdude
27-04-2008, 18:17
Would we 'grass' on someone because you want something done about the crime or because we don't like the person? This is where the true question resides, IMO.

That's the way this thread looked like going to me :shrug: Which is why I asked the question about knowing someone etc etc

Russ
27-04-2008, 18:41
That's the way this thread looked like going to me :shrug: Which is why I asked the question about knowing someone etc etc

To be fair that wasn't aimed at you - it was my validating the use of the "...cast the first stone" line :)

bopdude
27-04-2008, 19:04
To be fair that wasn't aimed at you - it was my validating the use of the "...cast the first stone" line :)

Never for a moment did I think it was, my comment was for Vlad.

Vlad_Dracul
27-04-2008, 22:34

I must move in different circles. I dont know anyone who sells or takes drugs.

bopdude
27-04-2008, 23:41
I must move in different circles. I dont know anyone who sells or takes drugs.

If you read what I said, I said

So, what your saying is, no matter what the crime, if you know someone who is / has committed an offence, you should 'grass them up'

So apart from drugs takers / dealers. Do you know of any other criminals ?

Hugh
28-04-2008, 21:48
If you read what I said, I said

So apart from drugs takers / dealers. Do you know of any other criminals ?
Ah, the old "let they who are without sin, cast the first stone" proposition.

Under that logic, if anyone has committed any offence (speeding, parking ticket, taking home a pencil from the office), they shouldn't get involved in preventing/reporting any criminal act, as they are just as bad as the perpetrators (if you take the argument to its logical/preposterous conclusion ;) ).