PDA

View Full Version : USB Cable instead of Ethernet Cable

m419
26-04-2008, 01:29
If your computer does not have any access for a Ethernet Cable/N.I.C then you CAN USE a USB Cable instead. Virgin Media have been publishing that they cannot be used with the service. But they can because i'm using one right now.

I cant believe I wasted to £2.50 on techinical support to be told that I would need an Ethernet card when they know it was a fault on there network o/s.

BenMcr
26-04-2008, 01:31
If you have a modem with USB on it then you can use it, however, Virgin do not support USB connections. If it goes wrong you are on your own.

The modems issued in areas 20-31 since Feb 2007, for new installs and replacements do not have USB sockets on them

From May onwards all modems issued by Virgin media in all areas for installs and replacements will be ethernet only.

USB will also not do over 4/5Mb, so anyone on L or XL Broadband connecting via USB will not get the speed they pay for.

Your choice

Paddy1
26-04-2008, 01:34
I cant believe I wasted to £2.50 on techinical support

Should have spent it on a picinic basket instead :)

OP: Ethernet is far better than USB. If your ethernet is not working I suggest you get it fixed.

m419
26-04-2008, 01:38
You sure? Because the modem they sent me 3 weeks ago has a USB socket but a speed test shows that i'm getting 16MPBS

Although I would certainly believe that 20MB speeds would not go as fast because there isn't much capacity for that.

MovedGoalPosts
26-04-2008, 01:41
Oddly enough there are still computers in regular use that only have a USB port, and not ethernet. Chances are though that such computers will be considered obsolete by geeks, yet to their user who only occasionally views an email, types a letter, or might know how to view the odd website, the computer is fine. Such users won't need top end broadband services.

VM for some time haven't promoted USB connections, instead recommending ethernet. For older computers and old operating systems USB remains viable, but limited. Modern OS such as Vista will not even have the necessary working USB connection drivers available.

m419
26-04-2008, 01:45
Should have spent it on a picinic basket instead :)

OP: Ethernet is far better than USB. If your ethernet is not working I suggest you get it fixed.

There is no Ethernet socket in any of my 2 computers, Telewest gave me a modem and a usb cable in 2005 and I cancelled it last yer because I didn't need it for a while, then re-ordered the service and they sent this big self-kit box. They sent to many things that I didn't need.

Virgin Media should invest in a Ethernet Card/NIC after spending £2.50 on the phone lol

They could have told me when I was ordering the service!

---------- Post added at 01:45 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

But i've been told that even though it hasn't got an ethernet socket, I can purchase a N.I.C/Ethernet card from a shop and the ethernet cable will work that way.

MovedGoalPosts
26-04-2008, 01:57
It is possible to get an ethernet to USB adaptor. Indeed when internet was originally supplied via the Set Top Box for ntl customers, they kit issued by ntl had a long ehternet lead which you plugged to the STB, and the separate USB adaptor, and a disk for drivers for your windows system.

Ethernet is simpler, and to be honest any decent computer shop can supply a network card for only a few quid. However you need the confidence of installing that, and it's drivers. Most people with computers of that age, won't want to go anywhere near it.

VM still need to consider their basic needs customers.

whydoIneedatech
26-04-2008, 07:07
You sure? Because the modem they sent me 3 weeks ago has a USB socket but a speed test shows that i'm getting 16MPBS

Although I would certainly believe that 20MB speeds would not go as fast because there isn't much capacity for that.

You say that your speedtest showed 16Mb on a size L conn, if you are on size L as you state in your services listing, you will be on either 4Mb or 10 Mb so 16 Mb is impossible to achieve.

USB uses power from your O/S to run, ethernet does not, USB requires drivers which you need to get from the installation disk ( if it works ) or you download them onto a CD on another users PC.

Plus as Ben stated you will not be able to get speeds much above 5Mb using USB.

Ethernet is plug and play no drivers required, and supports all speeds presently on offer from Virginmedia.

All Legacy USB users are still supported by Tech Support ( these are customers who were installed with USB prior to January 2007 ), because as Rob states not everyone has a PC with a Ethernet port, but they are advised to to upgrade their machine if physically possible to Ethernet.

BenMcr
26-04-2008, 11:28
You sure? Because the modem they sent me 3 weeks ago has a USB socket

Yup, as I said before from May NONE of the modems Virgin supply will have USB sockets on them and all installs (unless with the router) will be CD less anyway

Oddly enough there are still computers in regular use that only have a USB port, and not ethernet.

But then Virgin only support Windows 2000 or above. So it is more likely that these PCs do have a NIC.

VM still need to consider their basic needs customers.

I agree, but the main reason Virgin are not supporting USB connection for new customers (and probably at some point stop support for existing customers) is because of the speed upgrades.

Come the end of summer only one Virgin broadband tier (BB M) will not be limited by USB (and if they then upgrade that to 4/5Mb even then it will be pushing it)

Of course the other option you have if you don't have a NIC is the Virgin Wireless Router and a USB WiFi adapter ;)

Halcyon
26-04-2008, 11:38
You can pick up an ethernet card for less than £10
There are many advantages of ethernet. Ease of use to connect to a router or other computer. No additional drivers needed. Better speeds and connection reliability.
Card is specifically for networking, not multi use such as USB, ethernet can have longer connection wires than USB, etc.

Kymmy
26-04-2008, 12:59
I think this thread begs the question of:

Are the USB ports found on the VM modems USB1 or USB2?? USB2 is quite capable of coping with the 20Mbps speeds where as USB1 isn't.

My 2050 business modem has USB on it where as the Ambit 255 I had on residential doesn't.

Kymmy

PS...just confirmed it's a USB1.1 so not capable of anything above 12Mbps

m419
27-04-2008, 14:57
Thanks for all your responses!

So question now,how easy/hard is to install the Ethernet Card? I mean like do I have to have a Phd in I.T to do it?

This is so much hassle, now I know why many people prefer ADSL

Halcyon
27-04-2008, 15:15
Very easy.

1. Turn off computer and modem and make sure plug is turned off.
Leave power cable plugged in but switch off. (For grounding purposes).

2. Put case on it's side and open up.
Locate free PCI slot.

3. Undo one of the back plates on your PC so the card will be able to stick out.
Position the card into the PCI slot. It will only fit ne way so you can't really go wrong.
Push down until the gold teeth on the card are firmly in their slot.
Secure card with screw.

4. Make sure you haven't knocked any cables in the process and put case back together.

5. Plug ethernet cable from modem into back of ethernet card.

5. Switch on modem and wait approx 30 seconds.
Switch on PC.
Windows XP should then automatically recognise the card.
In some instances you may be asked for a setup disc/CD that came with you card, but Windows should take care of it.

6. Done.

Diagram below shows example of PCI slots on a motherboard:

http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemdetails/A455-1056/A455-1056COUT.jpg

Horace
27-04-2008, 15:52
A video is worth a thousand words : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0pGItSynyM

m419
27-04-2008, 17:48
Thanks Halcyon and Horace!

Thats quite helpful. Good grief, Could you imagine if an elderly person had to that! Its very inconvenient and today I visited a PC World and most of the computers being sold there didn't have Ethernet ports!

Also if its possible to use STB's then why do they waste money on using additional equipment such as Cable Modem's and all that additional wiring?

trevortt
27-04-2008, 17:51
Check out this review on which is the better, USB or Ethernet...

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/broadband/f/modeminterface.htm

whydoIneedatech
27-04-2008, 17:55

Thats quite helpful. Good grief, Could you imagine if an elderly person had to that! Its very inconvenient and today I visited a PC World and most of the computers being sold there didn't have Ethernet ports!

Also if its possible to use STB's then why do they waste money on using additional equipment such as Cable Modem's and all that additional wiring?

Are you sure they had no ethernet ports as that means not one of them would be able to get on the internet!
Ethernet ports are found on the back of the machine not the front unlike USB ports.

You will find only legacy STB internet customers are now supported by Virgin and when they call in are offered free upgrades to stand alone cable modems.

moaningmags
27-04-2008, 17:57

Its very inconvenient and today I visited a PC World and most of the computers being sold there didn't have Ethernet ports!

You looked at the back of the computers?
Or the bit of card with the specification of the computer on it didn't mention it. It won't as it's standard.

STBs can't give the higher speeds.

Halcyon
27-04-2008, 18:10
Nearly all computers have an ethernet port. They may not actually have a seperate network card becuase the ethernet port is built into the motherboard along with the ports for the mouse, keyboard, usb, etc.

NTLVictim
27-04-2008, 18:35
Nearly all computers have an ethernet port. They may not actually have a seperate network card becuase the ethernet port is built into the motherboard along with the ports for the mouse, keyboard, usb, etc.

That's MAINBOARD, this ain't the 51st state!:p::p::p::p::p::D

whydoIneedatech
27-04-2008, 18:42
That's MAINBOARD, this ain't the 51st state!:p::p::p::p::p::D

Did'nt that star Samuel L Jackson the new star of the Virginmedia adverts on the telly.:LOL: