PDA

View Full Version : 10mb download caps

simon8298
25-04-2008, 17:52
i just noticed today my service went up to 10mb..

Any one know if the traffic shaping is the same as on 4mb? or can i download more than 800mb in the evening??

i appoigise in advance if this has allready been asked, just that i am mad busy at the mo and do not have the time to check through loads and loads of pages

cheers...
simon

ceedee
25-04-2008, 18:26
Somebody did post the STM limits for 10Mb connections a while ago but I can't find it by searching CF.

If I remember correctly, there was no increase in the download limit but a (meaninglessly) small increase in the permitted upload.

Sorry to disappoint...

Sput
25-04-2008, 19:24
i just noticed today my service went up to 10mb..

Any one know if the traffic shaping is the same as on 4mb? or can i download more than 800mb in the evening??

i appoigise in advance if this has allready been asked, just that i am mad busy at the mo and do not have the time to check through loads and loads of pages

cheers...
simon

This article explains how Virgin traffic shape:-

http://blog.p2pvine.com/to-virgin-me...ther-05042008/

Acathla
25-04-2008, 19:34
Your link doesn't work :(
hopefully corrected it for you :)

http://blog.p2pvine.com/to-virgin-media-we-the-customers-dont-like-traffic-jams-either-05042008/

joglynne
25-04-2008, 19:46
Details of the new Traffic Management for 10MB :-As customers are upgraded, the traffic management policy for the upgraded package changes accordingly.

In areas where 10Mb speeds are available, the top 3% of downloaders download at least 800MB of traffic each during the peak period each evening, with the top 3% of uploaders uploading at least 400MB of traffic in the same period.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 2.5Mb, with their upload speed set to 128Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

ceedee
25-04-2008, 20:44
Thanks Jo.
I scanned down that page and couldn't see anything about 10Mb -- must be my poor old eyes after not enough sleep. Or my withering brain.

At least my distant recollection of an increase in the upload limit wasn't a brain fart too?
Did I mention my withering brain?
And my short-term memory loss?
What about my feet? They're terrible some days...

:nutter:

homealone
25-04-2008, 22:07
Thanks Jo.
I scanned down that page and couldn't see anything about 10Mb -- must be my poor old eyes after not enough sleep. Or my withering brain.

At least my distant recollection of an increase in the upload limit wasn't a brain fart too?
Did I mention my withering brain?
And my short-term memory loss?
What about my feet? They're terrible some days...

:nutter:

In areas where 10Mb speeds are available, the top 3% of downloaders download at least 800MB of traffic each during the peak period each evening, with the top 3% of uploaders uploading at least 400MB of traffic in the same period.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 2.5Mb, with their upload speed set to 128Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

2.5 mb download, not 1 mb :tu:

- interesting that at the 10mb tier it is the same 3% who are the culprits at peak times :D