PDA

View Full Version : Losing Connection - Modem Reboots

DJ_Price
23-04-2008, 19:58
Over the past 1 1/2-2 weeks my modem just reboots itself. the lights all flash, then it picks up the signal & my connection starts again. I don't know what on earth is causing the modem to do it. It can happen at anytime. I was browsing a few websites the other evening & opened about 4 different pages in firefox tabs & the connection just went, modem rebooted & then came back on. I've tried manualy rebooting my modem & router & restarting, but seems to still be doing it. I'm not sure if it's because of the 4mb-10mb upgrades in my area.

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2008, 19:59
Does the problem still happen if you are connected direct between modem to computer, no modem? If so phone faults.

trevortt
23-04-2008, 20:04
It could be caused by the modem overheating. Have a fan blow on it, see if that helps.

DJ_Price
23-04-2008, 20:09
Does the problem still happen if you are connected direct between modem to computer, no modem? If so phone faults.
I've not tried that. I will do a bit later on & let you know.
It could be caused by the modem overheating. Have a fan blow on it, see if that helps.
The modem does feel a little warm & it's usually cool. Would the fact that it's the old ntl ambit 120 modem make much difference?

trevortt
23-04-2008, 20:16
I've not tried that. I will do a bit later on & let you know.

The modem does feel a little warm & it's usually cool. Would the fact that it's the old ntl ambit 120 modem make much difference?

I am not familiar with that model. Maybe its another sign its on its way out and time for a new one?

DJ_Price
23-04-2008, 20:36
I am not familiar with that model. Maybe its another sign its on its way out and time for a new one?
It's this one: http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/admin/images/100+.JPG If I have to get a new one, how do I go about doing that? Since posting my previous post the modem has rebooted 5 times.

trevortt
23-04-2008, 20:37
It's this one: http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/admin/images/100+.JPG If I have to get a new one, how do I go about doing that? Since posting my previous post the modem has rebooted 5 times.

Phone up your ISP and tell them the modem keeps rebooting and it could be faulty can you send me a new one out.

DJ_Price
23-04-2008, 20:57
Just want to check the number is: 0906 212 1111

whydoIneedatech
23-04-2008, 21:22
Just want to check the number is: 0906 212 1111

That modem is only capable of 12meg so if you are on 20meg it requires an upgrade.

Get help with your Broadband

0906 212 1111*

*Calls cost 25p per minute. There is a 10p connection cost from Virgin Media landlines. Charges from mobiles and other networks may vary. If the fault is found to be with Virgin Media the cost of these calls will be refunded at a cost of 25p per minute.

DJ_Price
23-04-2008, 21:26
That modem is only capable of 12meg so if you are on 20meg it requires an upgrade.

Get help with your Broadband

0906 212 1111*

*Calls cost 25p per minute. There is a 10p connection cost from Virgin Media landlines. Charges from mobiles and other networks may vary. If the fault is found to be with Virgin Media the cost of these calls will be refunded at a cost of 25p per minute.
I'm only on 4mb. I'm guessing as there is no hours for that phone number that its 24hours a day?

whydoIneedatech
23-04-2008, 21:33
I'm only on 4mb. I'm guessing as there is no hours for that phone number that its 24hours a day?

Yes they have Out of hours staff, so basically 24/7;)

DJ_Price
23-04-2008, 21:37
Yes they have Out of hours staff, so basically 24/7;)

Ok, thanks for the info. I will phone up later or tomorrow.

DJ_Price
24-04-2008, 16:46
Ok, thanks for the info. I will phone up later or tomorrow.

Well just tried phoning them, but no answer. I left it ringing for 5 minutes, but no one picked up.

EDIT: Finally got through & an Indian guy did a test on the modem & said it's fine & the reason it was happening is because of my router. Even though I've been using the same router since I setup an ethernet connection about 4 years ago & I've never had this problem & he said its not the modem & its the router. He then said we could send you a new modem, but its not the modem, so it would just keep happening on the new modem until I got rid of the router. Sounds like they don't like routers to be connected! Guess I will just have to source a new modem from elsewhere if they won't send me one.

mrsnooch
24-04-2008, 16:58
Hi mate,

Exact same problem I had and you have the exact same modem I had!! How long have you had that modem? i had mine around 4-5 years. I phoned up last Tuesday and explained the problem. Don't even say to them to help you fix it. Say what are the chances to get a replacement, and if theyre like the guy i got on to, he should be able to request one posted.

2-3 days later and I got my new modem. Now I can use Skype, browse sites and download all at the same time and it remains connected :)

boroboi
24-04-2008, 17:23
I had the same problem a few years ago before i got the 250 when it was new.

Its the modem. The indians havent got a clue what theyre talking about.

You'll require a new one.

DJ_Price
24-04-2008, 17:33
Hi mate,

Exact same problem I had and you have the exact same modem I had!! How long have you had that modem? i had mine around 4-5 years. I phoned up last Tuesday and explained the problem. Don't even say to them to help you fix it. Say what are the chances to get a replacement, and if theyre like the guy i got on to, he should be able to request one posted.

2-3 days later and I got my new modem. Now I can use Skype, browse sites and download all at the same time and it remains connected :)
The modem is 5 years old. I told the guy on the phone that it's only starting happening the past week-two weeks & he said, no its not the modem its the router, even though I told him it's never happened before & I've always been using the router, but he wouldn't have any of it. I guess to get out of refunding the call cost which is propably £3. I don't want to phone up again, because the chances the same thing happens again it 99%. Is there another way I can acquire a new modem to be sent to me?

refraction
24-04-2008, 19:29
your best bet is to get on the newsgroups.

news server: news.virginmedia.com

and subscribe to

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

the guys in there are quite helpful and they will go through diagnosing your problem. If its their fault, tell them you want a note on your account saying you dont want to be charged for the initial call you made.

DJ_Price
24-04-2008, 20:49
your best bet is to get on the newsgroups.

news server: news.virginmedia.com

and subscribe to

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

the guys in there are quite helpful and they will go through diagnosing your problem. If its their fault, tell them you want a note on your account saying you dont want to be charged for the initial call you made.
Thanks, I've left a post there. Just wait now & see what they do. The news server didn't work for me, had to use news.cable.ntlworld.com

refraction
24-04-2008, 21:03
Thanks, I've left a post there. Just wait now & see what they do. The news server didn't work for me, had to use news.cable.ntlworld.com

yep can see your post, just hope they can help you :)

DJ_Price
25-04-2008, 00:47
Posted back & it seems the modem is running ok to them, but I don't know why after 5 years it's now playing up. Yes I had the odd disconnection in those 5 years, but that was when the network in my area was down, other than that & the rebooting for upgrades it's never been a problem until now.:erm:

mrsnooch
25-04-2008, 00:58
the guy told me those modems only have 2-3 years lifespan...

phone again, dont mention a router at all as that always confuses matters. just say u wish to find out if its possible to get a replacement. bit of luck and they wont ask to do tests etc. lets hope they dont put an audit trail on the calls uve made =p

scoobadiva
25-04-2008, 04:02
same modem, same problem, only noticed it over the last week.

DJ_Price
25-04-2008, 04:26
the guy told me those modems only have 2-3 years lifespan...

phone again, dont mention a router at all as that always confuses matters. just say u wish to find out if its possible to get a replacement. bit of luck and they wont ask to do tests etc. lets hope they dont put an audit trail on the calls uve made =p
I would phone again, but the chance of getting someone in the uk is pretty much nil. Also when I was talking to the guy I couldn't understand him as his accent was very strong & I said pardon to something he said & he went mad shouting each thing from then onwards. Not the best attitude I've had on a CS call.
same modem, same problem, only noticed it over the last week.

Could it be caused by the 4mb-10mb upgrades do you think, seems as it's only happened the past week or two?

sparky621
25-04-2008, 05:51
I had a similar problem. Went through the usual phone call routine..take router out of equation, power down PC, power down then up modem, power up PC. Had to do this whilst on the phone even though I explained I had already gone through this process before calling the premium rate number(I'm an electrical engineer and do this sort of fault finding as a matter of course).
As expected the modem continued to loose connection.

It was finally fixed after I spoke to an installation guy who was working on the street JB which is at the bottom of my drive. I think he said he moved my "return path" connection "up". Perhaps one of the VM guys could explain this a bit better. But this has fixed my disconnection problems.

Well hope I haven't tempted fate. Probably get home to find Sync light flashing now! :)

mrsnooch
25-04-2008, 08:46
I hadto activate my modem when I got home that night, and it was around 7pm and although the phone rang for a good 30seconds before someone picked up, it was an english girl. So im guessing that due to time difference (possibly) that you get english people at night. Give it a go?

DJ_Price
05-05-2008, 18:31
I made a quick video to show what my modem does. The file is an avi, XviD, no audio video & is 4mins long. 7.56MB http://www.mediafire.com/?zonczdjixdm