PDA

View Full Version : VM Business STM

shunt010
23-04-2008, 10:14
Finally got Virgin to tell me something about a STM on business.

What they had to say was this:

At ntl:Telewest Business, we want all our customers to get the best service possible from their Business Broadband service. When an individual user is downloading and/or uploading a particularly large amount of information over a long period of time, it can slow down the bandwidth speed for other users who might just be checking their email or browsing online. To make sure our service is fair for everybody, we will sometimes moderate the broadband bandwidth speed during network peak times (6pm till 11pm) for customers who are downloading and/or uploading an unusually large amount at these times. As this is out of business hours, we don't expect most business users to notice any change.

What does this mean?
We discovered that a very small number of our customers were uploading and/or downloading such a large amount of content that it was affecting the service for other users during network peak periods. So, unless you're downloading or uploading an unusually large amount of data between 6pm to 11pm it’s very unlikely that you’ll be affected by any traffic management policies applied during this period. At the moment, we only monitor the service between 6pm to 11pm so any data downloads or uploads outside of this period will not count towards the threshold limits set for each service.
When will this new policy be implemented?
The new policy will begin to be rolled out from 21st April 2008 and is currently expected to be implemented by May 2008 and will be done region-by-region to ensure no problems are experienced.
What traffic management policies are we applying to the heaviest users?
That depends on the broadband package users are signed up to. And it's important to remember that these traffic management policies only apply during network peak times (6-11) - as this is when the speeds are likely to be affected by people using more than their fair share.

How will the policy affect my account?
All Cable Broadband bandwidth tiers will be monitored for excessive usage. The business bandwidth tiers will be monitored every day between 6pm and 11pm (outside of usual business hours). The business STM policy for specific bandwidth services is as follows:

4Mb Service (4096Kbps downstream/512Kbsp upstream)
If more than 750MB of data is downloaded and/or 400MB of data is uploaded between the hours 6pm to 11pm - then the 4Mb throughput (bandwidth) will temporarily be reduced by 75% to 1Mb for a period of 5 consecutive hours from the time the threshold is exceeded.

10Mb Service (10240Kbps downstream/768Kbsp upstream)
If more than 3GB of data is downloaded and/or 1.25GB is uploaded between the hours 6pm to 11pm - then the 10Mb throughput (bandwidth) will temporarily be reduced by 75% to 2.5Mb for a period of 5 consecutive hours from the time the threshold is exceeded.

How can I tell if I'm nearing the bandwidth throughput threshold?
There are several tools that you can use to check how much you're downloading or uploading, like DU Meter. If you'd like to use a different tool, you might like to try www.tucows.com and download an alternative bandwidth monitoring application.
If you'd like to find out more more about our policies on acceptable use of business internet services, you can read our Acceptable Use Policy:
http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/general/legal/legal_info.aspx

Kymmy
23-04-2008, 11:05
Well if that's true then that's really gonna f##k a lot of people up....BTW..what's your source on this??? Is it linkable...just that there's a lot of diffrent quotes floating about by a lot of different people..

BUT it's strange how they qualify the times...surely a business isn't just 9-6 especially when people these days log onto business servers at night and also have websites/ecommerce sites running 24/7/365???

I've always said that there is a FAIR USAGE POLICY and it's a shame that people looking to get past STM is probably the reason for it supposedly coming into play...

Anyway it's not gonna effect my websites, my downloads or my net usage...until they perhaps try to change it more....

This does though beg the question....is this a change to the T&C's (so others who wanted no STM can get out of thier contract) or does the T&C's just specify that thier is a FUP/AUP???

Kymmy

PS...http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband.aspx?view=features is still stating

Unmetered and 'always-on' connection - no usage restrictions or caps

shunt010
23-04-2008, 11:18
Came from an Edward Ellison.

I made a pre-order sales enquiry via the website. We need unlimited usage for our business. We're not bothered much about speed (5mbps is ample), but we need low contention and it to be unlimited.

At the moment we're on BT Broadband Network Premium Max, which apparently has a 40gb/month limit. It runs from 26th to 26th of the month, and if between those dates you've downloaded more than 40gb, the next month you find that during peak times (7-12pm), every single day, the bandwidth is capped to 800kbits/sec downstream, which isn't enough.

Thinking Virgin Business would be the answer, I placed a pre-order enquiry, being extremely clear that if there was some form of Fair use or similar that we were not made aware of at the time of sale, we would be cancelling our contract and getting all our money for installation back.

The reply was these details about the STM.

Although it's not unworkable for us, it does take the shine off the Business broadband for us, and make it not quite such an attractive deal, since we need at least 3.5mbps, and 2.5mbps is just that bit too little.

Shame really. We would be happy with the 4mbps service for £85 a month with no STM, which is what we get now (except we have a Fair use policy).

Unfortunately we can't afford the £1000 a month for a leased line. We appear to be in that part of the market nobody is interested in - there's a big jump between £100 a month top ADSL type price and £700 a month bottom leased line price.

I know broadband isn't cheap to provide, and I know the STM is there to make them money, but we want something like a contended leased line, and I would have thought the cable network would be the ideal medium to provide it. Truly unlimited 4mbps 20:1 contention cable which is around £90 a month would have a real market, but VM seems scared to charge that much for some reason, but we would happily pay it.

Kymmy
23-04-2008, 11:30
Came from an Edward Ellison.

I made a pre-order sales enquiry via the website. We need unlimited usage for our business. We're not bothered much about speed (5mbps is ample), but we need low contention and it to be unlimited.

At the moment we're on BT Broadband Network Premium Max, which apparently has a 40gb/month limit. It runs from 26th to 26th of the month, and if between those dates you've downloaded more than 40gb, the next month you find that during peak times (7-12pm), every single day, the bandwidth is capped to 800kbits/sec downstream, which isn't enough.

Thinking Virgin Business would be the answer, I placed a pre-order enquiry, being extremely clear that if there was some form of Fair use or similar that we were not made aware of at the time of sale, we would be cancelling our contract and getting all our money for installation back.

The reply was these details about the STM.

Although it's not unworkable for us, it does take the shine off the Business broadband for us, and make it not quite such an attractive deal, since we need at least 3.5mbps, and 2.5mbps is just that bit too little.

As said I think it's trying to put off the residential customers who wanted no STM...

As far as your needed 3.5Mb you should remember that the business BB is 'supposed' to be updated to 20/1.5 sometime this summer which would mean an STM'd 5Mbps......

6pm-11pm is actually my quite time (just tend to use the PC's for games/CAD/Projects) and the only really constant WAN connection is my server running a few websites/SMTP..even the websites don't hold any video or other files that's likely to trigger STM

As far as the 40Gb FUP's with ADSL...how do you think I ended up with Cable :):):)

If you don't mind sticking with ADSL then try Demon's Business 8000 service, upto 8Mbps down, 832Kbps up with unmetered and no sign of an FUP all for the same price as NTL's 10Mbps service (apart from the line rental that is)

Kymmy

shunt010
23-04-2008, 11:38
14th June I'm told by this Edward Ellison again "if things all go well".

I think we've just got to sit tight and grim and bear it with BT until this 20mb/sec package comes along.

20mbps isn't going to be a free upgrade - it's £50 a month, an extra £10.

But as you say, I think this "20mb" (in my language 5mbps) package is the one to go for.

It's not too un-competitive, £10 a month per mbps is a competitive price. Normally though it's £10 a month for uncontended, but VM have to pay for their infrastructure somehow!

Kymmy
23-04-2008, 11:43
There's been so many different answers to the 20Mb upgrade, some have quoted money, others haven't..most have stated FREE, some say a three tier packages (4/10/20) others just state 10/20 or even 4/20.....

As far as dates it's been late last year, January this year even summer and late this year has been mentioned...

It'll be nice to get a final figure/date/costs...not that I don't trust your sourse...it's more a case of not trusting anything a customer service agent says :D

Kymmy

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2008, 11:57
For the genuine business user (excludes residential just trying to get round STM), and STM policy on the line, whatever hours, is going to be a major concern. It's almost saying to the customer, we don't want you, despite the fact the business customer does pay a premium for the package.

There are many reasons why business could hammer their download, a significant one being updates and patches. Any major work will be conducted at evenings and weekends for a 9-5 type operation, so just as the IT bod finds themselves short of software, or needs a major patch, down come the shutters. As others have also said, add in the remote server connection use (actually bandwidth from that isn't likely to be hideous), or automated backup to webservers, and things don't look rosy.

I'd be avoiding any business broadband with a specific STM policy in place. If you are in the right area check out Be business. Alternatively we use clara.net, and find them fairly reasonable.

shunt010
23-04-2008, 12:25
I've just phoned Be, about their "Be Pro" package, and the woman on the end of the phone has told me that the Be Light package is ideal for my requirements and is a 1:1 contention with no fair use and no download limits and they don't slow it down.

Somehow that doesn't figure for me!

Graham M
23-04-2008, 12:34
1:1? I smell Male Cow Manure!

Chrysalis
23-04-2008, 13:02
Unfortunately we can't afford the £1000 a month for a leased line. We appear to be in that part of the market nobody is interested in - there's a big jump between £100 a month top ADSL type price and £700 a month bottom leased line price.

yep I know what you mean, there is 2 distinct markets. Cheap broadband which keeps getting throttled etc. as revenue isnt considered high enough to pay for ample capacity, and the leased line business which some think anyone who values their connection to not be throttled should pay for.

Seems to be a gap for contended xDSL services that have low contention with no artifical throttling/shaping. Although there is a few datastream/sdsl isps in this market but they low profile.

Although easynet did recently launch this.

8Mbps*, 4Mbps*, 2Mbps, 1Mbps & 512kbps download options
256kbps & 768kbps* upload speeds
Up to 13 usable IP addresses
No existing telephone line required
5:1 contention ratio*, 20:1 contention ratio
Supplied and managed router
Available with service level guarantee

* Services only available on Easynet's Network

http://www.westlake.co.uk/Easynet-ADSL-SDSL.htm

I assume you have to be in a easynet/sky LLU area. Easynet do not throttle even the free sky residental customers so its unlikely that will have any throttling.

Kymmy
23-04-2008, 13:11
I've just phoned Be, about their "Be Pro" package, and the woman on the end of the phone has told me that the Be Light package is ideal for my requirements and is a 1:1 contention with no fair use and no download limits and they don't slow it down.

Somehow that doesn't figure for me!

Sounds like ADSL2...question is can you get it?? Also how long before that ratio and thier no-FUP policy goes out of the window

Kymmy

TraxData
23-04-2008, 14:37
This is NOT going to happen.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Well if that's true then that's really gonna f##k a lot of people up....BTW..what's your source on this??? Is it linkable...just that there's a lot of diffrent quotes floating about by a lot of different people..

BUT it's strange how they qualify the times...surely a business isn't just 9-6 especially when people these days log onto business servers at night and also have websites/ecommerce sites running 24/7/365???

I've always said that there is a FAIR USAGE POLICY and it's a shame that people looking to get past STM is probably the reason for it supposedly coming into play...

Anyway it's not gonna effect my websites, my downloads or my net usage...until they perhaps try to change it more....

This does though beg the question....is this a change to the T&C's (so others who wanted no STM can get out of thier contract) or does the T&C's just specify that thier is a FUP/AUP???

Kymmy

PS...http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband.aspx?view=features is still stating

That would be because this thread is a lie.

Mr_love_monkey
23-04-2008, 14:38
1:1? I smell Male Cow Manure!

Have you tried washing? :)

Kymmy
23-04-2008, 15:02
This is NOT going to happen.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

That would be because this thread is a lie.

I wondered when you'd pop up (not that you have a reputation for doing so ;) )

As Rob said STM'ing Business would be a suicide blow as businesses choose thier ISP's on certain criteria (mainly bandwidth and limits)...

Hence I asked for a link not heresay....

Not saying that the thread author has lied at all, but as stated in a previous post I tend not to believe anything CS says.

Kymmy

PS...my 200th post just for TraxData :p:

TraxData
23-04-2008, 15:12
I wondered when you'd pop up (not that you have a reputation for doing so ;) )

As Rob said STM'ing Business would be a suicide blow as businesses choose thier ISP's on certain criteria (mainly bandwidth and limits)...

Hence I asked for a link not heresay....

Not saying that the thread author has lied at all, but as stated in a previous post I tend not to believe anything CS says.

Kymmy

PS...my 200th post just for TraxData :p:

Aww i feel special now :p:

shunt010
23-04-2008, 15:52
I posted just what I'd been told by this chap in good faith, I'm confused about it all.

I think the thing to do is wait and see what happens.