PDA

View Full Version : Cotton T-Shirts

greencreeper
23-04-2008, 02:01
Any ideas why you shouldn't wear them when taking part in outdoor pursuits, such as hiking? I've read on a couple of websites that they're best avoided but I can't find an explanation for this. Seems weird.

v0id
23-04-2008, 02:10
nothing wrong with wearing them, if you slop a bit of vaseline on your nips

frogstamper
23-04-2008, 02:22
Any ideas why you shouldn't wear them when taking part in outdoor pursuits, such as hiking? I've read on a couple of websites that they're best avoided but I can't find an explanation for this. Seems weird.

I would have thought cotton would be ideal when doing any physical activity, well almost any;), due to the fact that cotton lets your skin "breath", unlike a lot of man-made fibres. I cant say Ive heard of this before greencreeper, weird.:confused:

Hugh
23-04-2008, 08:48
They absorb the sweat, unlike some modern man-made fibres, which allow the sweat to "wick" away.

When they absorb the sweat, it stops the layering effect working (or so I have been told).

Ramrod
23-04-2008, 09:03
Yep, they have a phrase in Canada and the colder bits of the US:'Cotton Kills' (http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/cotton.html)

greencreeper
23-04-2008, 12:11
Ah - I can understand now. I've always gone for cotton because of my skin being so fussy. Hmmm :scratch:

frogstamper
23-04-2008, 12:44
Ah - I can understand now. I've always gone for cotton because of my skin being so fussy. Hmmm :scratch:

Snap, Ive always thought that cotton was the best fabric in hot weather, oh well, you live and learn, thanks chaps.:)

Saaf_laandon_mo
23-04-2008, 12:49
Cottons great for normal use, but like forever mentioned, if you are sweating to much it becomes a problem as the sweat gets absorbed, ur tee will also feel wet and you might get cold.

Just read theat Cotton Kills article, pretty good reading.

SMHarman
23-04-2008, 16:27
As everyone else has said wicking / drying. I'm going white water rafting in a couple of weekends and there is a big notice above the what to bring / wear is NO COTTON.

In a boat it will soak water and then that water will get cold and then that will move blood from your body core to warm up the skin / clothes and then your core temperature drops and then you go hypothermic and die.

The recommendation is UnderArmour (http://www.underarmour.com/). I have an underarmor mock turtle for skiing and it is fantastic. Will be taking that, or shopping for a short sleved one or a water based one and some leggings. Equally silk is a great natural product for the skin layer as that wicks well.

Wasn't there an experiment recently about the everest climbers who were alternating silk / wool (wool retains warmth when wet) the early climbs and it works as well / better at moisture management in cold weather.

Hugh
23-04-2008, 16:28
As everyone else has said wicking / drying. I'm going white water rafting in a couple of weekends and there is a big notice above the what to bring / wear is NO COTTON.

In a boat it will soak water and then that water will get cold and then that will move blood from your body core to warm up the skin / clothes and then your core temperature drops and then you go hypothermic and die.

What - every time?

danielf
23-04-2008, 16:38
Wasn't there an experiment recently about the everest climbers who were alternating silk / wool (wool retains warmth when wet) the early climbs and it works as well / better at moisture management in cold weather.

Yes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5076634.stm

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2008, 16:46
It's not just about cotton absorbing the moisture, it's also how long it takes to dry out. That's when the risks of hyperthermia can increase. For most outdoor, or sports related activities, clothing technology has moved on significantly. You may pay more for the right clothing, but your comfort levels should be so much better.

White water rafting though I think I'd be wanting a wetsuit, rather than a T shirt ;)

SMHarman
23-04-2008, 16:48
White water rafting though I think I'd be wanting a wetsuit, rather than a T shirt ;)They are providing them, I'd bring my own but it is a 3mm shortie and more a protective layer than a warmth layer. I don't like diving if the water temperature is under 75f.What - every time?Picky Picky.

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2008, 16:53
They are providing them, I'd bring my own but it is a 3mm shortie and more a protective layer than a warmth layer. I don't like diving if the water temperature is under 75f.

Wimp - get a drysuit, and a few proper thermal underlayers :angel:

In the UK, even in summer the water won't get close to that. The popular inland dive sites are still well below 50f (10 deg C). You know about it when you do skills in those temps like taking off the mask :eek:

Saaf_laandon_mo
23-04-2008, 17:11
Bear Gryls never mentions not wearing cotton. Good think I have read this thread, just incase Im travelling soon and fall out of a plane into Copper Canyon or the Amazon rainforest.

Hugh
23-04-2008, 17:18
Bear Gryls never mentions not wearing cotton. Good think I have read this thread, just incase Im travelling soon and fall out of a plane into Copper Canyon or the Amazon rainforest.
What, with your £50,000 from a political party..... ;)

SMHarman
23-04-2008, 19:08
Bear Gryls never mentions not wearing cotton. Good think I have read this thread, just incase Im travelling soon and fall out of a plane into Copper Canyon or the Amazon rainforest.If I fell out of a plane I think the first thing to cross my mind would not be, oh dear, it appears I am wearing cotton.

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2008, 19:09
Nope it's best to be prepared, and after all if you've got all that posh kit, you want to show it off getting everyone to "look at me" as you trudge through the airport :D

danielf
23-04-2008, 19:14
Nope it's best to be prepared, and after all if you've got all that posh kit, you want to show it off getting everyone to "look at me" as you trudge through the airport :D

If you are serious about being prepared people will look at you because you will be walking through the airport carrying a towel.

dilli-theclaw
23-04-2008, 19:19
If I fell out of a plane I think the first thing to cross my mind would not be, oh dear, it appears I am wearing cotton.If I fell out of a 'plane the first thing on my mind would be grab a woman with bigguns and hope she floats :)

danielf
23-04-2008, 19:22
If I fell out of a 'plane the first thing on my mind would be grab a woman with bigguns and hope she floats :)

Presumably because grabbing a woman with bigguns is always the first thing on your mind? ;)

dilli-theclaw
23-04-2008, 19:30
I guess I can't deny that one :)

Maggy
23-04-2008, 21:15
When I read the thread title my radar start to ping but then when I read the op I was reassured...now we are one posting away from my original thoughts on where this thread would end up...

SMHarman
23-04-2008, 21:31
It's a bit wet of you to say that...

homealone
23-04-2008, 21:37
we were advised, I'm sure it was at school, that denim jeans were not good 'outdoor' wear ,when wet, due to being made from cotton - so presumably jeans & a cotton T-shirt are the worst combo...

greencreeper
24-04-2008, 01:07
I'm hoping to be a bit more active - joined this website thing. Live my life while I still can. Currently faced with a list that to me is way OTT, which is why I asked the question. I can understand, say, having first aid kit and whistle if you intend treking across a moor in bad weather, but a gentle stroll around the countryside? Hmmm. Which is my next mystery - why go out when the weather's really bad? Just asking for trouble.

Humans.

Hugh
24-04-2008, 08:34
I think it is the fact that in the UK, weather can change quite rapidly - it is all about mitigating risk (imho).

Saaf_laandon_mo
24-04-2008, 10:41
What, with your £50,000 from a political party..... ;)

I will then need to be wearing my combats, with all those extra pockets to make sure my 50K in crisp 50s can fit.