PDA

View Full Version : Virgin media problems

binaryinfarction
20-04-2008, 18:53
Hi

I'm currently on Virgin media broadband, and have started to have troubles. I'm pretty sure I'm going to change ISP but I want some information that is next to impossible to get with the indian call centres.

My modem has been playing up since friday. The connection is working, but it is intermittent in that it works ok for about 30 seconds, then doesn't work for about 5 minutes. I called tech support and they went through all the usual tests, and told me if was the modem that is at fault (terayon). It is 8 years old. I was also upset to learn that they never even informed me I needed a new modem when I went to 20mb. According to the guy I spoke to, this modem can't even handle 20mb!! ( But they have no problem taking my money each month.)

Anyway, I have had enough and want to change. The problem is Sky say that they can't check how fast my line will be until I change to BT. Is there any other way of checking the line speed before I cancel my (albeit not working very well) cable?

Thanks for listening to my ramble.

chickendippers
20-04-2008, 19:00
Why not just get a new modem capable of handling 20Mb? It won't cost you anything.

binaryinfarction
20-04-2008, 19:15
Why not just get a new modem capable of handling 20Mb? It won't cost you anything.

They have ordered me one, but said it could be two weeks before it gets here. I think that that is taking the p***. I don't imagine they are going to let me not pay for 2 weeks of no internet.

AbyssUnderground
20-04-2008, 19:20
They have ordered me one, but said it could be two weeks before it gets here. I think that that is taking the p***. I don't imagine they are going to let me not pay for 2 weeks of no internet.

A call to retentions should sort that ;)

binaryinfarction
20-04-2008, 19:34
What is retentions and how do I call them? I have rung VM about half a dozen times and can't get anywhere.

chickendippers
20-04-2008, 20:05
150 and select the option "thinking of leaving".

I've been waiting nearly 5 weeks for a new computer to be delivered, so 2 weeks sounds quite reasonable ;)

ceedee
20-04-2008, 20:21
Although some people have to wait up to a fortnight for replacement modems, some arrive within a couple of days.
It might be worth hanging on to see if the new modem improves your speeds.

To find your likely phone line length to the exchange and a rough idea of the ADSL speeds you'll be able to achieve, stick your postcode into SamKnows Mapping (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php) and follow the instructions.

Noggo
20-04-2008, 20:25
To get a summary of what ADSL services are available to you look here:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
put your postcode in and then click check, then after the list appears click the grey `BT ADSL' button under the summary button and you'll get something like this:

BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Kidderminster telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, houses at your postcode should be able to support a 4.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 2.03km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

Damn ceedee beat me with http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php

ceedee
20-04-2008, 20:35
Damn ceedee beat me with http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php

Sorry mate!
:ninja:

frogstamper
20-04-2008, 20:35
Hi

I'm currently on Virgin media broadband, and have started to have troubles. I'm pretty sure I'm going to change ISP but I want some information that is next to impossible to get with the indian call centres.

My modem has been playing up since friday. The connection is working, but it is intermittent in that it works ok for about 30 seconds, then doesn't work for about 5 minutes. I called tech support and they went through all the usual tests, and told me if was the modem that is at fault (terayon). It is 8 years old. I was also upset to learn that they never even informed me I needed a new modem when I went to 20mb. According to the guy I spoke to, this modem can't even handle 20mb!! ( But they have no problem taking my money each month.)

Anyway, I have had enough and want to change. The problem is Sky say that they can't check how fast my line will be until I change to BT. Is there any other way of checking the line speed before I cancel my (albeit not working very well) cable?

Thanks for listening to my ramble.

Definitely take the above advice sucpb, and wait for your new modem and see how it works out. When I upgraded to 20mb the women never asked what modem I had, luckily thanks to many kind members of CF I already knew the Ambit 255 could cope, no thanks to the woman whom I dealt with.

Noggo
21-04-2008, 14:31
sucrpb, what modem do you currently have and what download speed are you getting morning, midday and early evening?

I had an old SB4100 connected on 20Meg and I got about 13-14 Mbps download speed all the time, then got a Webstar EPC2100R2 (only after complaining about poor performance) which use to get the full 20Meg (19454 Kb/s max) before over subscribed UBR came into the equation and now it's anything between 2.37 MB/s early morning and 259KB/s Saturday and Sunday.

binaryinfarction
21-04-2008, 15:12
sucrpb, what modem do you currently have and what download speed are you getting morning, midday and early evening?

I had an old SB4100 connected on 20Meg and I got about 13-14 Mbps download speed all the time, then got a Webstar EPC2100R2 (only after complaining about poor performance) which use to get the full 20Meg (19454 Kb/s max) before over subscribed UBR came into the equation and now it's anything between 2.37 MB/s early morning and 259KB/s Saturday and Sunday.

I have a terayon 210 right now, although it isn't working. Going on the past when I tested it I would get about 5 mb in the morning and about 4 midday and 2 in the evenings. It seems that everything slows to a crawl at about 5 while about 8.

Noggo
21-04-2008, 17:09
I have a terayon 210 right now, although it isn't working. Going on the past when I tested it I would get about 5 mb in the morning and about 4 midday and 2 in the evenings. It seems that everything slows to a crawl at about 5 while about 8.

Sounds like your UBR is over subscribed as well, as your download speeds drops off as the day goes on and an incorrect not working modem, bummer.

After the new modem up and running see if the download speed drops off during the day, in the same way as it did with the Terayon modem. If it mimics the drop off then I would think its over subscription on the UBR.

1st - Why are you waiting for a new modem to be posted. Your modem isn't working get a tech out, quicker option.

2nd - You should push VM to give you some form of compensations for having an incorrect modem for X months (x = how long since 20M upgrade). If they don’t it's a Joke, because they knowingly supplied you with a service, they know you could never achieve, as your old modem is only good upto 10Mb (I think). I would go for the price difference between XL and L broadband, times how many months since 20Meg upgrade.

3rd - If you find out your UBR is over subscribed. You should get atleast half price line rental for a few months (I got six, I guess it depends on how long ago you first contacted them + documented evidence for download speeds). Remember that any date given for the fix is `subject to change' and if the date passes without any improvement get back in touch and try and get more money knocked off (Thats if you stop with them).

Hope this helps ya

binaryinfarction
21-04-2008, 18:18
[QUOTE=Noggo;34534446]Sounds like your UBR is over subscribed as well, as your download speeds drops off as the day goes on and an incorrect not working modem, bummer.

After the new modem up and running see if the download speed drops off during the day, in the same way as it did with the Terayon modem. If it mimics the drop off then I would think its over subscription on the UBR.

I will check the speed when I get the new modem, but what does UBR mean?

I rang Vm and they said a tech couldn't come out for at least 5 days, and the modem would probably be here by then.

2nd - You should push VM to give you some form of compensations for having an incorrect modem for X months (x = how long since 20M upgrade). If they don’t it's a Joke, because they knowingly supplied you with a service, they know you could never achieve, as your old modem is only good upto 10Mb (I think). I would go for the price difference between XL and L broadband, times how many months since 20Meg upgrade.

I spoke to them and they said that they will reimburse me for the time that the modem hasn't been working and the time I was supposed to have 20mb.

Noggo
21-04-2008, 18:42
The UBR is short for Universal Broadband Router. Everyone in your local area is connected to it, then the data goes off into the rest of the VM network.

If you click the word `Connection' in the Dark blue header bar at the top of the page it should bring up a new window with your UBR Ref. Should look like this, if you're on Ex-telewest (If you do post your UBR ref. always remove your IP address from it)
xx.xx.xx.xxx.cable.ubr01.brom.blueyonder.co.uk

I'm glad you got some sort of compensation. I would still have booked the tech, as the modem could take 2 weeks before it's delivered and you could have always cancel the tech visit if the modem arrived first.

Note: I take it you rang the Tech support `0906' number, if so did you get a refund for the call charges?

binaryinfarction
21-04-2008, 19:32
The UBR is short for Universal Broadband Router. Everyone in your local area is connected to it, then the data goes off into the rest of the VM network.

If you click the word `Connection' in the Dark blue header bar at the top of the page it should bring up a new window with your UBR Ref. Should look like this, if you're on Ex-telewest (If you do post your UBR ref. always remove your IP address from it)
xx.xx.xx.xxx.cable.ubr01.brom.blueyonder.co.uk

I'm glad you got some sort of compensation. I would still have booked the tech, as the modem could take 2 weeks before it's delivered and you could have always cancel the tech visit if the modem arrived first.

Note: I take it you rang the Tech support `0906' number, if so did you get a refund for the call charges?

Ok, I will try booking the tech, and see which arrives first. :) It was an 0906 number and they said that as the fault was at their end they will refund the call charges.

This is probably a stupid question, but if I switched to ADSL would it slowdown in the evenings lik VM?

Noggo
22-04-2008, 10:13
This is probably a stupid question, but if I switched to ADSL would it slowdown in the evenings lik VM?

I don't know is the answer, depends on who you go with I guess. The best way is to ask around and see who your neighbours are with and what results they get. A neighbour of mine gets rock solid 5.5 Mb/s day or night from BT. You could always go to http://www.speedtest.net/global.php and look at `global stats' fill in the boxes and show results and you should get a set of results like the attached picture. Just remember that the results are an average from when the web site started, so if an ISP has a good download speed now it may take a long time to filter through.

Laters,

Noggo
11-05-2008, 10:42
Sucrpb,

Has your new modem arrived yet and did it sort your problems out with download speed?

binaryinfarction
11-05-2008, 11:26
Hi N

Yes my modem arrived a few days ago, and so far the download speed has been pretty good. I have been testing it at various times of the day and get anywhere from about 11 - 18.