PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened to me the otherday

nick73
20-04-2008, 16:57
OK
Thursday our NTL email service stopped for no (apparent) reason
Friday night, our BB got slower and slower, (i am on XL package with blue NTL250 box)
Saturday morning we have no net access at all.

We phone customer services to be told that there are works in our area and it should be back on by 1 pm

3 pm still no internet

3:30 try to connect and I get directed to a strange page asking me to register my modem with virgin. This I cannot accomplish as I don't have the pin (we were upgraded from a silver ntl 100 box and the chap didn't IIRC give us a new pin).

There now follows no fewer than 10 calls to virgin to get a range of answers from:

*"oh i see" ....hang up x2 (or maybe 3 i cant quite remember)

*There is a problem with you connection (you dont say)

*There is a query on your account but i cant tell you what it is

*You need to re-register your account with virgin..and Ive filled a form in Ill send it to the team but it will take a couple of days.

*Sorry but we don't have any tech support on a Saturday

Eventually we call sales..Wrong dept I know but crucially they are in England. Eventually the women tells us that somehow our modem has spontaneously generated a new PIN number, which she gives us and we go through the internet pages to re-register the modem. This wonderful lady cant tell us unfortunately why the modem generated a new PIN.

I know this post looks like a rant, but I am curious to know how this happened, and would really appreciate if anyone here could shed any light. Would it also account for our email problem which we still have. (we cannot log on to email via web or outlook). I will ring back about that but I think Ill phone on a weekday when they have tech support!

thanks in advance

Nick

BenMcr
20-04-2008, 19:06
Where do you live in the country? i.e what city/county? it will help with an answer ;)

nick73
20-04-2008, 20:38
Sorry didn't think to add that, we are in Northampton

about the email not working, VM wouldn't have changed the pop server from pop.ntlworld.com and not told me would they?

thanks for any info

Nick

BenMcr
20-04-2008, 20:55
Nope the e-mail sever is still the same.

Did you change anything else previously to the internet stopping? I.E upgrade to V+, add a second STB or anything else like that?

There two reasons I can think for why this has happened.

1) There has been a change on your account that has disconnected the modem from your services, and when it has been reconnected the PIN will have been different

2) as part of the changes that are happening from 26th April - 5th May, the way your account was set up was not as it should have been so was disconnected in error

After 5th May the situation that you have described could not happen, as changes are being made to how the modems and e-mail work

nick73
21-04-2008, 00:02
Hi Thanks for the info.

unfortunately nothing rings a bell. weve had V+, and a separate stb for several months now. We literaly turned the comp on one day ans nothing worked.

Outlook suddenly keeps throwing up a username / pasword dialogue box as though one of them is incorrect, but theyre the same details as ever was in them, so Im stumped. Could smething have been somehow reset during the recent outage in northampton?

thanks again

Nick

BenMcr
21-04-2008, 00:42
Nope, an outage would not do what you have said.

Though you do know Tech support is 24/7?

tubbles
21-04-2008, 01:08
I am probably wrong here so don't shout at me. If Virgin have changed your Broadband connection maybe they have changed your password setup to something new and not told you, this could be why the password and username box keeps popping up in outlook. could you check the server status because i know last week there were some outages. My STB needed rebooting last week and again today.