PDA

View Full Version : 11am on sunday and shaped

Planetgarb
20-04-2008, 11:51
I cant get my head around this traffic shaping. I bought a film to download and thought i would get it today as it wouldnt take long to get.
But i have been shaped, i know its a large file but i thought shaping did not come in untill 4pm.

Anyone got any thoughts

Taf
20-04-2008, 11:58
When and how the shaping is happening according to VM seems to have little relation to reality. I'm not in the shaping trial area but get dragged down to 1Mb often... even if I'm not DLing much... so much for their advertised "No Download Limits" ..................

Berealwith
20-04-2008, 11:58
Nope mate its like a "Mist of amazement" it just pops anywhere they like to run tests i am on it most of my surfing time (if i go over)there are new times out there now that also run on weekends.. I am in Preston and this area is running the new STM trials and will be rolled out over the rest of thier network mark my words if areas already haven't got it running.

Virgin media network will never get better only worse, if you are lucky to live in an area where it just misses high to low you will be fine.

RemoveDUsername1
20-04-2008, 12:03
I think it's just applied automatically to any area that has high loads. Everyone will get hit by it if they are in a busy area where most are using their connections

ceedee
20-04-2008, 12:16
I think it's just applied automatically to any area that has high loads. Everyone will get hit by it if they are in a busy area where most are using their connections

If VM need to apply drastic STM at 11am on a Sunday morning, I think even you, Carl, would agree that something is drastically wrong?

Welcome to CF by the way!

Kursk
20-04-2008, 12:22

Presumably, it could be even slower if and when Phorm is deployed?

RemoveDUsername1
20-04-2008, 12:26
If VM need to apply drastic STM at 11am on a Sunday morning, I think even you, Carl, would agree that something is drastically wrong?

Welcome to CF by the way!

I completely agree that something is drastically wrong to have to do it. I think they should stop blowing money away on marketing and spending millions on celebrities for the adverts, all that money would be better spent on supplying an honest and workable service for everyone.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Presumably, it could be even slower if and when Phorm is deployed?

I don't think it will affect the speeds as much, just everyones privacy :)

chamelion
21-04-2008, 12:30
just got shaped, 12:30pm on a monday afternoon.

Robertus
21-04-2008, 16:54
I cant get my head around this traffic shaping. I bought a film to download and thought i would get it today as it wouldnt take long to get.
But i have been shaped, i know its a large file but i thought shaping did not come in untill 4pm.

Anyone got any thoughts

You aren't being traffic shaped - you're being traffic MANAGED. They are two totally different things :)

Bonglet
21-04-2008, 17:46
phorm will slow http down as it uses a number of redirects might not be a problem some days but if it goes wrong it will go very bad, and stm seem to be in effect from like 8am till about 10ish on weekends been like that for a very very long time for me.

This company needs to wake up fast been saying this for a year now, people close to snapping.

GraphiX2004
21-04-2008, 17:57
You aren't being traffic shaped - you're being traffic MANAGED. They are two totally different things

i dont care what you call it were being screwed is what it should be called.
why isn't everyone banding together and hammering VM with complains calls?

why is this Forum team not getting this to watchdog or the news companys?
its like were being silenced while they continue to take our money.

They shouldn't have protocol/traffic shapping in the first place! stop justifying it
and to make matters worse their times they state are useless as it clearly is
being rolled out at anytime they wish so once again not only is traffic shapped
or managed wrong, their even spinning us a load of BS when it comes to the times.

how much worse is this going to get before you paying people do something.
i complained like hell and all i get back is well we've had no other complaints.

do something for god sake, unless you like squandering your money away for nothing

Jelly
21-04-2008, 18:02
The thousands of members of this forum are a small minority of the millions of VM customers, Graphix.

GraphiX2004
21-04-2008, 18:15
5 more people complaining is better than 0 init,