PDA

View Full Version : Private Pilots

G UK
18-04-2008, 23:09
I am having my Induction into the Merlin Flying Club tomorrow with a view to gaining my Private Pilots License (PPL) over the next couple of years.

This is something I've always wanted to do although I have absolutely zero experience other than an avid intrest in aviation:shocked:. I've barely even flown before even on holiday as I was brought up on the good ol' fashioned Skeggy seaside holiday.:D

Do we have any other Pilots or Students on here? It would be nice to discuss and get some advice off people who have done this before!!

NoKnowledge
19-04-2008, 04:14
I would love to fly Airwolf.....back to reality, lessons cost quite a bit otherwise I would learn.

Hope you get the licence first time.

Raistlin
19-04-2008, 08:01
I've done lots of flying in the past, but have never actually gone for my PPL.

The main issue that I have is the cost, I just don't have the spare cash - if I did I would do it in a heartbeat.

Nidge
19-04-2008, 09:06
I am having my Induction into the Merlin Flying Club tomorrow with a view to gaining my Private Pilots License (PPL) over the next couple of years.

This is something I've always wanted to do although I have absolutely zero experience other than an avid intrest in aviation:shocked:. I've barely even flown before even on holiday as I was brought up on the good ol' fashioned Skeggy seaside holiday.:D

Do we have any other Pilots or Students on here? It would be nice to discuss and get some advice off people who have done this before!!

Hi G UK where are you having your lessons mate?? I notice you are from the NG17 postcode which is where I used to live, are you having lessons at Gamston airfield near Ollerton?

Halcyon
19-04-2008, 15:22
I'd love to learn. It's just so expensive. Last time I checked it was around £100 per hour.

Maybe one day I'll be able to give it a go.

G UK
19-04-2008, 19:21
Hi G UK where are you having your lessons mate?? I notice you are from the NG17 postcode which is where I used to live, are you having lessons at Gamston airfield near Ollerton?

I'm going to be having my lessons at the Merlin Flying Club which operates from Hucknall Airfield. The rates there are significantly cheaper than commercial schools but you are required to be a Rolls-Royce employee or direct family member and be willing to assist in the maintenance of the airfield.

Some of the tasks that you've got to do as a member are:
Clubhouse Duty Pilot (Run the clubhouse)
Grass Cutting
Plane Cleaning
Duty Pilot Fireman (When Qualified)
Duty Advisory Controller (When Qualified)

In General your looking at having to give up a day or two every couple of months to support the club on top of your training.

I completed my induction today and got myself my log-book checklist and the first book in the air pilots manual series. I'll be learning in a Cessna 150 and I'm having my first lesson in a fourtnight. Cant wait for it!!:D